HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason? You want to talk about the offseason?

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2012, 11:15 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Offseason? You want to talk about the offseason?

I don't think it's too early to already start speculating about the off season as half of the season is already gone and we got a good feel for this team and their needs.

Minnesota Free Agents
UFA
Kyle Brodziak
Brad Staubitz
Warren Peters
Greg Zanon
Mike Lundin
Clayton Stoner
Josh Harding
Jed Ortmeyer
Jeff Taffe
Jon DiSalvator

RFA
Guillaume Latendresse
Casey Wellman
Nick Johnson
Jarod Palmer
David MacIntyre
Justin Falk
Nate Prosser
Cody Almond
Matt Kassian
Kris Fredheim
Chad Raud
Dennis Endras
Carson McMillan

We have quiet a group of free agents coming up and some interesting decisions this off season. So who is coming in?

Possible incoming Draft Picks
Charlie Coyle
Johan Larsson
Johan Gustavsson
Jonas Brodin
Mikael Granlund
Zach Phillips

So what does Minnesota need?

Needs
Defense, DEFENSE, DEFENSE
1st Line Center
Scoring Winger

Minnesota also has a few questions remaining like;

Who is going to be their starting goaltender in 12/13?
Can Bouchard bounce back from his concussion?
Can Setoguchi settle in and become a top 6 forward?
Can Scandella take that next step and become a top 2 defenseman?
Can Spurgeon take that next step and become a top 3 defenseman?

Old
01-14-2012, 11:22 AM
MNWILDFAN001

For our needs I would put 1st line scoring winger(s) and defense at the top, and then 1st line center.

Old
01-14-2012, 11:32 AM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
If I was the GM, I'll bold who I would re-sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post

UFA
Kyle Brodziak
Brad Staubitz
Warren Peters
Greg Zanon
Mike Lundin
Clayton Stoner
Josh Harding
Jed Ortmeyer
Jeff Taffe
Jon DiSalvator

RFA
Guillaume Latendresse
Casey Wellman
Nick Johnson
Jarod Palmer

David MacIntyre
Justin Falk
Nate Prosser

Cody Almond
Matt Kassian
Kris Fredheim
Chad Raud
Dennis Endras

Carson McMillan

Charlie Coyle -> AHL
Johan Larsson -> AHL
Johan Gustavsson -> Sweden
Jonas Brodin -> AHL
Mikael Granlund -> NHL
Zach Phillips -> AHL
Just what I would do. Some people in Houston need to be dropped to make room for the incoming class. Ortmeyer/Taffe I'd keep around as a veteran presence down in Houston, but I'd drop the younger guys who I just don't see working out anymore, like Almond/McMillan.

Old
01-14-2012, 11:40 AM
nickschultzfan

I bold move would be to re-sign Harding and trade Backstrom. I don't think that would happen, especially because moving Backstrom might be hard (or it might not be) but that would give us enough cap space to do some major structuring.

With the regression of our blueline, a top-pairing Dman is really needed.

And with Lats and Bouchard's future questionable, Parise makes all the more sense.

Old
01-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Good call starting the thread.

UFA's:

I'd shop Brodziak, Zanon, Zidlicky, Lundin, Schultz, and Harding. None of them are long term fits here and can bring back stuff in return.

I'd walk away from Staubitz and Peters this summer.

Ortmeyer, Taffe, DiSalvatore, Almond, Fredheim, Rau, Endras, McMillan, I'd listen to Jim Mill about whether he wants them in Houston or if we should walk away.

Stoner, re-sign if he's $800k or less, or else walk away, especially if we get someone in the offseason.

RFA's:

Latendresse I want to see how he recovers. If he doesn't, either walk away or trade this summer. He's the best goal scorer we have, but he doesn't do us any good if he's on the IR all year again.

Casey Wellman, re-sign ~ $1-1.5m, NHL
Nick Johnson, re-sign ~ $1m, NHL
Jarod Palmer, re-sign ~ $1m, Houston
David MacIntyre, re-sign ~ $800k, NHL
Justin Falk, re-sign ~ $800k, NHL
Nate Prosser, re-sign ~ $1-1.2m, NHL
Matt Kassian, re-sign ~ $800k, NHL

Prospects:

Charlie Coyle, Houston
Johan Larsson, Houston/Sweden
Johan Gustavsson, Houston/Sweden
Jonas Brodin, NHL
Mikael Granlund, NHL
Zach Phillips, NHL/Houston
Brett Bulmer, NHL/Houston
Matt Hackett, NHL

UFA Needs:

Team is very deep in bottom six players but lots of question marks up front. Needs top end defensemen.

I would go hard after Parise and Suter. Open up the vault. I would offer $6.5m to Suter and $7.5m to Parise. Guessing we get Parise but not Suter.

Fallback would be a shorter term contract to Matt Carle, JM Liles, or try and swing a trade for a younger PMD with experience.

Worst case scenario, may have to bring up Chay Genoway to be another PMD. I think he's smart and has upside, not top pairing, but could be another Spurgeon.

NHL Roster:

Parise - Koivu - Bouchard
Heatley - Granlund - Wellman/Phillips
Setoguchi - Cullen - Clutterbuck
Bulmer/Massian - Powe - MacIntyre/Johnson

or

Heatley - Koivu - Bouchard
Wellman/Phillips - Granlund - Setoguchi
Bulmer - Cullen - Clutterbuck
Kassian/MacIntyre - Powe - Johnson

Suter - Spurgeon
Scandella - Brodin
Falk/Stoner/Schultz - Prosser

or

Scandella - Spurgeon
Schultz/Stoner - Brodin
Falk - Prosser

Backstrom/Harding

Old
01-14-2012, 01:20 PM
forthewild

for the love of god we don't need an number 1 center, we need Defense and scoring depth. look at the teams who are doing well they have scoring depth, trust me if our 2nd line starts being more dangerous this team will score again, do people watch the wild play, we are playing the the parameter too much, not enough guys getting to the net.

our top priority is getting our D rounded out, Zanon is leaving, Shultz has an ugly contract for his play, Zidlicky is what he is.

Now i'm a big beleiver in Brodin but he is going to be 19 years old and may not be ready. We need to draft some damn but sign a guy in the off season a decent puck mover. we need to be able to connect on the passes out of our zone, you look at teams like Detroit (lidstrom, white, kindl, ericsson they can all pass the ****ing puck) Chicago (leddy, keith, seabrook, on and on) we have Spurgie, after him our D is not really capable of breaking a team out.

imho in order our needs are

1: Puck moving dman, guys who can handle the puck out of our zone and support our forwards

2: Grit on the Wings, a big mother****er who's going to cause havoc around the net ( LAts was this guy but his health is now in question, maybe Coyle or Bulmer )

3: Scoring wingers, Wellman is a start but we need to see what Zucker and the crew bring in this departmant, with Granlund coming over and his pass first mind set, we don't need more set up guys, we need guys who will throw the puck on net big time. This makes Butch a bit of a wild card if healthy but with another concussion he's likely ****ed.

4: Solid number 2 guy (no not Koivu he's number 1 he bears so much burden on this team and demands top shutdown guys but he needs the other lines to start using that opening to succeed hopefully Granlund will come here and help. look at the top teams int he league, those teams force the opposing team to choose who to stop. Wild don't have that its stop koivu we dont take advantage of that with our other lines usually we used to earlier this year.

to me the big problems start with our dman, we don't break out well spend too much time chasing the puck and when we get it we dont connect on our passes.

Once we do gain the zone we dont shoot enough and have no net presence to force 2nd and 3rd chances, its like we're trying for the get your dick sucked play.

tl:dr shore up our D, guys who can move the puck, grit on our wings

Old
01-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We are 28th in the league in scoring. We definitely need more offense up front.

Call it a #1 center, #2 center, #1a center, whatever it is, we don't have it.

Old
01-14-2012, 02:17 PM
saywut

My expectations:

Minnesota Free Agents
UFA
Kyle Brodziak - Gone. Over 2M per year and 3-4 years is too much of a commitment with the prospects we have coming up.
Brad Staubitz - Gone. He's Todd Richards' guy. Kassian can replace him.
Warren Peters - Re-signed, 1-2 years 2-way(league min/100k Houston). He's captain material in the AHL, and he's got extensive NHL time under a coach who trusts him alot in Mike Yeo. GREAT mentor to our prospects joining Houston.
Greg Zanon - Gone. Need mobility and smart puck movement.
Mike Lundin - Gone. Hasn't worked out.
Clayton Stoner - Gone. Clayton's play has tailed off immensely the past month and Justin Falk brings a similar skill-set with much more mobility.
Josh Harding - Gone. The opportunity to be a #1 elsewhere will be too much to pass up at this point in his career. Matt Hackett's a capable replacement.
Jed Ortmeyer - Gone. We've got Peters and Bagnall for leadership, need roster spots in Houston.
Jeff Taffe - Gone.
Jon DiSalvatore - Re-signed. We need scorers in Houston. Disally's been around longer than Taffe so I give him the edge in returning.

RFA
Guillaume Latendresse - 1-year contract. If he doesn't want to sign, offer arbitration. Gives us time to find out what we can do in free agency. Offer the lowest $$ in arbitration(think its a 10% decrease so 2.25M). Lose the case and hit in free agency, walk away. We are not in a position to just give away this skill-set.
Casey Wellman - Re-signed, 1 year 1 way(~950k). He's enjoying success with Cullen. With Granlund likely coming over and Brodziak not returning we're going to more of a 3 "scoring" lines.
Nick Johnson - Gone. His play has tailed off immensely and without Brodziak he's not as good of a fit with our centers. Don't like his game for the 4th line, and I see an enforcer and Powe taking the wings on it. Would welcome him back on a 2-way, though he'd be a UFA after going non-tendered.
Jarod Palmer - Re-signed, 1 year 2-way. Showed enough to get another year in the system.
David MacIntyre - Re-signed, if he remains up the rest of the season his QO will be a 1-way(~670k QO). Like his speed, versatility, and competitiveness.
Justin Falk - Re-signed, 1 year 1-way(~660K QO). Maybe he eats popcorn, maybe he plays. Cheap and worth keeping.
Nate Prosser - Re-signed, 1 year 1-way(~775k QO). Might be able to bring down that $$ a little more with the 1-way offer. He's good enough to be our #5/6/7/8 d-man next season. Like Falk, he's going to have to earn playing time.
Cody Almond - Re-signed, 1 year 2-way(QO). Injury in the offseason really hurt his opportunity this year. Worst case scenario he remains a key contributor in Houston, but he's got a shot at an NHL job.
Matt Kassian - Re-signed, 1 year 1-way(~550k). Yeo wants a tough guy and knows Kassian from Houston. If Yeo wants to go a different route for his "tough guy" then Kassian is gone.
Kris Fredheim - Gone. Couldn't earn a contract in preseason, only signed because of massive injuries. Houston would welcome him back.
Chad Rau - Gone, not producing in Houston and no NHL future.
Dennis Endras - Gone, enjoy Europe. We already sent him back anyways.
Carson McMillan - Re-signed, 1 year 2-way(QO). More competition for a depth spot. With the loss of some of Houston's vets his leadership will be relied upon more.
Jeff Penner - Gone. Don't know why we re-signed for this year, guess Houston needed the body.
Chay Genoway - Re-signed(QO).

Via Capgeek(using Filatov's contract as Granlund's comparable because of European #4-10 pick status):
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR(excluding other team's free agents)

FORWARDS
Guillaume Latendresse ($2.250m) / Mikko Koivu ($6.750m) / Dany Heatley ($7.500m)
Pierre-Marc Bouchard ($4.080m) / Matt Cullen ($3.500m) / Casey Wellman ($0.950m)
Cal Clutterbuck ($1.400m) / Mikael Granlund ($2.195m) / Devin Setoguchi ($3.000m)
Darroll Powe ($1.066m) / David McIntyre ($0.670m) / Matt Kassian ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nick Schultz ($3.500m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m)
Marco Scandella ($0.845m) / Jared Spurgeon ($0.526m)
Justin Falk ($0.660m) / Nate Prosser ($0.775m)

GOALTENDERS
Niklas Backstrom ($6.000m) / Matthew Hackett ($0.900m)

BUYOUTS: Mark Parrish ($0.927m) / Cam Barker ($0.541m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $52,589,444; BONUSES: $1,687,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $11,710,556

We have quite a group of free agents coming up and some interesting decisions this off season. So who is coming in?

Go hard after Suter/Parise if they make it to free agency. If we can't get Parise then stand pat up front. Players will be losing their waiver exemption and there's prospects who could earn spots. If we can't get Suter we'll still need to bring in 1-2 quality puck-moving d-men. Carle, Oduya, etc. Add Parise and a forward becomes much more expendable as well for a d-man via trade.

Charlie Coyle - Wild/Aeros. Get this man signed!!!
Johan Larsson - Wild/Aeros. Made his intent to come over regardless of making the NHL, and with teammates Silfverberg and Jarnkrok likely doing the same I expect him to keep it.
Johan Gustavsson - Sweden. Keep him getting playing time in the SEL.
Jonas Brodin - Sweden. I do think Houston would be more beneficial but its his choice and to get that ELC expiring a year later than most could be great. I don't think he's NHL ready.
Mikael Granlund - Wild. Need Granlund to become a contributor quickly.
Zach Phillips - Houston. He's got the contract and AHL eligible. Don't think he's ready for the NHL but the Q isn't beneficial to his development either. Get him playing pro.

Of course trades are hard to predict and 1-2 will make this wall of text obsolete.

Old
01-14-2012, 02:23 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWILDFAN001 View Post
For our needs I would put 1st line scoring winger(s) and defense at the top, and then 1st line center.
1st line center? We have Koivu who is a top 15 center in the league, although he plays more of a 2nd center role, and we have Granlund coming over. That will be a great 1-2 punch assuming Granlund doesn't play wing for the first year.

Old
01-14-2012, 02:45 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
We are 28th in the league in scoring. We definitely need more offense up front.

Call it a #1 center, #2 center, #1a center, whatever it is, we don't have it.
we have a quality nu8mber one center what we dont have is balanced scoring, bring in getzlaf a true number one guy amirite and he'll suck because we dont have a balance on offense, anyone short of healthy crosby, malkin, datsyuk, stamkos wont change that, simply put no scoring depth and terrible d who can't pass. Tonight just count how many times we have net presence, how many times our Dman not named spurgeon make a pass that connects.

simply put people quit *****ing about #1 center koivu is a number one center, top 15 center in the league easily and HE IS NOT OUR PROBLEM.

Old
01-14-2012, 03:19 PM
heksagon

I agree with forthewild, Mikko is not our problem, scoring depth is. Look at Boston last year: Their 1# center was David Krejci with 62 points. They won the Stanley Cup. Now, would you consider Krejci being a better player than Mikko? I wouldn't. Boston won the Cup with great depth.

Of course it would be nice to have a Crosby/Datsyuk/Stamkos etc. as our 1# center, but no can do.

I think one of our biggest needs is a great puck-moving D-man. Hopefully Brodin can be just that in the future.

Old
01-14-2012, 03:29 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
I agree with forthewild, Mikko is not our problem, scoring depth is. Look at Boston last year: Their 1# center was David Krejci with 62 points. They won the Stanley Cup. Now, would you consider Krejci being a better player than Mikko? I wouldn't. Boston won the Cup with great depth.

Of course it would be nice to have a Crosby/Datsyuk/Stamkos etc. as our 1# center, but no can do.

I think one of our biggest needs is a great puck-moving D-man. Hopefully Brodin can be just that in the future.

when the Wild were winning iirc we had prosser up and he can break a team out somewhat, but we didn't have zids or zanon in the line up, we need to shorten up the space between the forwards and dman, what i mean is have our forwards not leave so fast and shorten the gap it takes to pass.

when you look at good teams you see that their dman are able to help sustain the pressure, our issue is we dont hold the zone to get the pressure started, think back to the most recent calgary game how many times were we pinned in our zone chasing after the puck while they got chance after chance? we need to get back to playing like we did earlier, our D is bad but we can still be successful i think getting Lundin back in the line up, getting Scandella his confidence back and getting Prosser back up here once we get rid of Zanon might help but we still need to target dman, draft trade and FA markets.

one thing i'd like to take a crack at is trying to get castoffs from other teams, Spurgie our best dman was cut, it be nice if we tried to take a chance on some dman from other teams that are losing the numbers game. but before this can happen we need to waive zanon he is not helping this team.

Old
01-14-2012, 03:37 PM
forthewild

one more thing about koivu, i know everyone wants him to score more but answer this,

if koivu is taking more chances who does he have to rely on, we hardly have net presence, and do you really want him to start taking offensive chances when he has zidlicky and zanon back there for a security blanket? **** no he needs to play the safe game if we stand a chance of winning games we just don't have the defensive security blanket to justify taking chances left and right

Old
01-14-2012, 04:05 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if we're concerned about searching for a #1 center, what's going to happen when Granlund gets here next year? He and Koivu were going to fill the top 2 center slots, were they not? Maybe Granlund will become #1, or maybe it'll remain Koivu. Either way, if you bring in another #1 center, then what happens? Either Granlund doesn't play center at all or you're asking for him or Koivu to move to the 3rd line?

Makes no sense. Wait a year to see how the kid does, and if Granlund and Koivu can't get it done, then we can worry about it. But right now it's not the biggest problem that needs to be addressed.

Old
01-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

i just w nt winger who c n ****ing score.

uh, my 'eh' key is f iling me right now!

Old
01-14-2012, 04:50 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
we need an offense that can keep the puck long enough to set up our snipers or get a lats type player back who is willing to bull themselves toward the net. Bouchard being out hurts. Mikko has been flat out terrible with possession (uncharacteristically) and Seto isn't a set up guy. I'd like to see Heatley get his shot off more often--he does find the space and is in good position most of the time but with Mikko misfiring lately that line has really been dogging it.

I love Brodin, but if he is the only change to our blueline next year (besides the guys we've seen called up taking starting roles from gonners like Zanon) we're just as ****ed as we are this year. One 19 year old kid is not going to do it, Parise on the front end or not.
I would much rather have Suter than Parise, but obviously that's probably not going to be a choice Fletcher or anyone else is gifted with...If it's Parise, we'll still need to add to the blueline. None of our guys looks remotely capable of playing a full year of consistently good hockey.

I like Staubitz--i feel he contributes more than most people give him credit for--but i'm a fighting fan so if it's between the two I'd rather have Kassian. That said, Fletcher wanted a middle-weight kind of fighter who could skate. I don't think Richards had anything to do with it, and Yeo doesn't seem to mind Staubitz, either, bad penalties and all. Even if Staubitz is gone there's a decent chance he's replaced by someone of the same type rather than an obvious heavy like Kassian. Rather have Kassian, but Staubitz (or, say, Konopka, who was Fletcher's first choice for the role) can skate more minutes and probably has a better chance of drawing someone into a fight.

Old
01-14-2012, 04:58 PM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
I don't care what anybody says, I want Lats for another year.

Old
01-14-2012, 06:11 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
Same with me, not his fault somebody ran him. Keep Lats. One more year and you can always trade him in the year if it doesn't work out.

Old
01-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I would like to get a true power forward for once. A big guy that can score around the net and nobody can move him.

Old
01-15-2012, 12:35 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

someone who can stay relatively healthy? Watching Backes and Oshie I find myself very envious of the Blues.

Old
01-15-2012, 12:42 PM
nickschultzfan

If we have the cap space, we can re-sign Lats. But it's for a 3rd line role. We can't go into the season expecting him to be our 2nd line LW. We'll just be in the same position that we are now.

Put him on the 3rd line with Brodziak and Clutterbuck, and we could have a 3rd line that could score.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

When healthy he's the best player on the roster. No need to pigeon hole him into the 3rd line. He either plays and is awesome or he's injured.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Dampland
Overly Moderated

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Minnesota Free Agents
UFA
Kyle Brodziak - should be re-signed, unless salary demands are too much
Brad Staubitz - GONE
Warren Peters - role player
Greg Zanon - GONE
Mike Lundin - jury is still out, haven't seen enough either way
Clayton Stoner - we need his physical presence.
Josh Harding - Traded
Jed Ortmeyer - Gone
Jeff Taffe - AHL
Jon DiSalvator - AHL

RFA
Guillaume Latendresse - Gone or signed for minimal contract
Casey Wellman - re-sign
Nick Johnson - re-sign for 3rd/4th line duty
Jarod Palmer - - AHL
David MacIntyre - AHL
Justin Falk - re-sign getting better
Nate Prosser - re-sign getting better
Cody Almond - jury still out
Matt Kassian - not sure how long Matt is going to be the good soldier in the AHL for us. He may want a fresh start somewhere else
Kris Fredheim - Gone
Chad Rau - Gone
Dennis Endras - Gone
Carson McMillan - haven't heard boo about him this year, Guessing gone.

We have quiet a group of free agents coming up and some interesting decisions this off season. So who is coming in?

Charlie Coyle - AHL
Johan Larsson - AHL
Johan Gustavsson - Overseas
Jonas Brodin - Overseas
Mikael Granlund - only one with a chance to make Wild next season
Zack Phillips - AHL

So what does Minnesota need?
Will be an interesting off season, that's for sure.

Old
01-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Dampland
Overly Moderated

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
I agree, but only if his contract #'s are reasonable. He can't expect a big $ or long term contract considering his injury history. I like him, but not for the big money I think some team (TORONTO) might throw at him.

Old
01-15-2012, 02:17 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if we're concerned about searching for a #1 center, what's going to happen when Granlund gets here next year? He and Koivu were going to fill the top 2 center slots, were they not? Maybe Granlund will become #1, or maybe it'll remain Koivu. Either way, if you bring in another #1 center, then what happens? Either Granlund doesn't play center at all or you're asking for him or Koivu to move to the 3rd line?
OR you move granny out to wing and see how he plays. But we cannot rely on a rookie.

Closed Thread