Notices

Time For Wild To Tank? No Thanks, Yeo Says

Old
04-03-2012, 08:40 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Time For Wild To Tank? No Thanks, Yeo Says

From today's Strib, Russo takes my own argument and of course does a better job with it covering the tanking issue.

Quote:
The past two drafts under the new regime look like home runs. Still, the Wild drafted arguably three top-six forwards in history (Gaborik, Mikko Koivu in 2001 and Pierre-Marc Bouchard in 2002) and one elite defenseman (Brent Burns in 2003, although 2008 second-rounder Marco Scandella holds promise).

But Yeo says, "The teams that are successful year after year after year, they don't pick in the top three all the time. They have gotten great players, but at the same time, they've got a winning culture. That has got to be our focus right now.

"Where we finish at the end of the year, I trust our scouts, I trust [assistant General Manager] Brent Flahr, I trust [GM] Chuck Fletcher. They've been doing a phenomenal job drafting since they've been in Minnesota. We're going to get a great player regardless of where we finish."

No sure things

It certainly looks as if Flahr has taken top-notch prospects in his two years running the draft table, and that was with a 10th pick in 2011 (Jonas Brodin) and a ninth pick in 2010 (Mikael Granlund).

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
One very, very important thing for people to understand, I think this makes it a much more attractive place for free agents.

"When you know, 'OK, this is a team that was winning, they lost some players, now they get their best player [Koivu] back and they've started to win,' free agents will know that we're close, they'll know this group has character, that this was a group that kept fighting, and it's the kind of culture you can win with.

"So I can understand part of it. But it can also lure free agents. It's not all about the draft."
I do find it a little bit funny, that the head coach has to explain why his team is trying to win instead of losing.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Propaganda. All of it. Fire that man!

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
That screaming sound you hear way off in the distance? Me screaming and pulling my hair out as I bang my head against my desk repeatedly.

Yeah I get the "winning culture" thing. Yeah I get how important it is, but this bunch of losers waits until NOW to finally remember how to play Yeo's system? They wait until NOW to start playing with heart and toughness? Yeo says it's something special to stick around and keep playing after being eliminated. I say at least half of the players are playing this good because finally the pressure to produce is finally off and this garbage time feels like vacation time. Bunch of lazy slackers. And the other half is only playing this good because they know it's their job on the line.

I have never hated a team as much as I hate the 2011-2012 Minnesota Wild. I have never felt this bitter or resentful as a hockey fan in all my life. If we pick 10th I am not going to forgive this team unless we come out of the gate next year and FLOOR the whole god damned league and I just know that next year were gonna be juuuuuuuust good enough to either squeak into 8th on one of the last days of the season or fall just short by a point or two.

Motivational sayings and platitudes are all well and good, but screw them, I want a PICK. Fourth is still a realistic possibility. I hope the Predators destroy us, the Hawks come back looking for revenge and crush us in a way that completely ignites real rivalry between our two clubs, and I hope the Coyotes come in on Saturday utterly desperate and annihilate us.

Remember that GDT I did where I said when I am really, really mad I stop swearing entirely? Take a guess at how mad I am at this team.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:12 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
That screaming sound you hear way off in the distance? Me screaming and pulling my hair out as I bang my head against my desk repeatedly.

Yeah I get the "winning culture" thing. Yeah I get how important it is, but this bunch of losers waits until NOW to finally remember how to play Yeo's system? They wait until NOW to start playing with heart and toughness? Yeo says it's something special to stick around and keep playing after being eliminated. I say at least half of the players are playing this good because finally the pressure to produce is finally off and this garbage time feels like vacation time. Bunch of lazy slackers. And the other half is only playing this good because they know it's their job on the line.

I have never hated a team as much as I hate the 2011-2012 Minnesota Wild. I have never felt this bitter or resentful as a hockey fan in all my life. If we pick 10th I am not going to forgive this team unless we come out of the gate next year and FLOOR the whole god damned league and I just know that next year were gonna be juuuuuuuust good enough to either squeak into 8th on one of the last days of the season or fall just short by a point or two.

Motivational sayings and platitudes are all well and good, but screw them, I want a PICK. Fourth is still a realistic possibility. I hope the Predators destroy us, the Hawks come back looking for revenge and crush us in a way that completely ignites real rivalry between our two clubs, and I hope the Coyotes come in on Saturday utterly desperate and annihilate us.

Remember that GDT I did where I said when I am really, really mad I stop swearing entirely? Take a guess at how mad I am at this team.
How many times does it need to be explained that, even if we win out the season, it's unlikely we'll pick 10th? The only realistic way we could pick 10th is if we finish 9th and someone 10th-13th wins the lottery.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Dr Jan Itor

You're right. It's our fault, not the fault of the three playoff teams that couldn't handle their business against a bottom 5 team.

It would be nice if all tanking talk stayed here, so it doesn't infest every other ****ing thread on this board.

Last edited by Dr Jan Itor: 04-03-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old
04-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Al Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post

I wish I cared as much as you do.

No, actually, I don't

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
**** everything. I'm out.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah, he gets to brag now after winning three meaningless games. Interesting this conversation didn't happen any other time in the last three months.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:32 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I understand where Avder is coming from but I also understand where Yeo is coming from. I really hope Fletcher does as well because this has been one of the most bipolar teams we've seen in a long, long time.

And really, nothing much has changed in terms of the roster. Koivu did come back (and really should he? If he goes down next year are we going to have to keep doing this song and dance) and Setoguchi may have finally turned a corner but it feels like it's a little too late.

Where was this team back in December? Back in January?

It looks mighty bad that they finally start picking it back up when there is absolutely no pressure, no reason for them to start winning after watching them slog through game after game where it just didn't seem like they cared if they won or lost.

It's frustrating to say the least.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wouldn't say Seto turned a corner. He's been a streaky guy all year and he's on a hot streak.

Actually he's not even on a hot streak, he just had a great game. Two assists in his previous nine games.

The difference I'm seeing is that the defense is doing a better job of breaking out the puck and limiting rushes and the offense is actually getting some puck possession in the offensive zone rather than turning it over shooting into the goalie right across the blue line.

Old
04-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yeah, he gets to brag now after winning three meaningless games. Interesting this conversation didn't happen any other time in the last three months.
Well, the point of the conversation was that we are winning now, so I don't know how they could've had it before.

Old
04-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Why wasn't there a sit down with Yeo when the Wild couldn't even stay in games for more than five minutes?

Old
04-03-2012, 09:39 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
I wouldn't say Seto turned a corner. He's been a streaky guy all year and he's on a hot streak.
Hence turned a corner :p He'll just turn the corner again and go back to being streaky.

Quote:
Actually he's not even on a hot streak, he just had a great game. Two assists in his previous nine games.
Points aren't all that matters. From what I've seen, he's shown up as a top 6 player again.

Quote:
The difference I'm seeing is that the defense is doing a better job of breaking out the puck and limiting rushes and the offense is actually getting some puck possession in the offensive zone rather than turning it over shooting into the goalie right across the blue line.
Blech. Did they finally realize they would score more if they sustained pressure?

Old
04-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Why wasn't there a sit down with Yeo when the Wild couldn't even stay in games for more than five minutes?
Because the topic of the conversation wasn't applicable then.

Old
04-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
How many times does it need to be explained that, even if we win out the season, it's unlikely we'll pick 10th? The only realistic way we could pick 10th is if we finish 9th and someone 10th-13th wins the lottery.
I don't care, it's still on the table, and as far as I am concerned we are living this teams worst case scenario right now. Blow a tire on December 10th, suck until were eliminated... Hey the lottery is coming up and we might be in 3rd or 2nd! NOPE START WINNING AND WRECK IT.

Quote:
This is what I would like to know. And I would really like to know what has really changed in the locker room. Why the hell did it take until the season was completely lost to finally get these jokers back on board with the system?

The Wild playing like this right now to me just means that their collapse from December until recently is even more inexcusable than it already was. And we can't even point at Zucker as the real catalyst, as he was basically benched in the game against the Hawks.

So what the hell is this teams excuse for the collapse? Right now it has about as much talent as it had during all those games where it looked like everyone was sleep walking, so the only difference is effort and motivation.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:48 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Honestly, all the *****ing about the team winning games...you guys need to look at the **** you're spewing. "Where was this team in December? Where was it in January?"

"This team" didn't exist in those months. If you stopped for 2 seconds to think about what you're saying it before just spouting off incoherently, you'd realize that. Take a look at one of those games.

Dec 22 - 4-1 Loss to Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDT
Congregation:

The Butcher - Cullen - Heater
Clutter - Brodz - Johnson
Palmer - Peters - Fmr. Golden Gopher Jeff Taffe
Ortmeyer - POWE!!! - Stubby

Schultz - Zids
Falk - Stoner
Scandella - The Spurge

Backs
Let's put that in today's team terms:

Not on team - Not on team - Heater
Clutter - Brodz - Johnson
Not on team - Not on team - Not on team
Ortmeyer - Powe - Not on team

Not on team - Not on team
Falk - Stoner
Scandella - Not on team

Backstrom
Harding

That means that 8 of the 20 guys playing that night aren't on the team right now. Where was this team in December? Well, Koivu was hurt, Zucker was in Denver, Christensen was playing for NYR, Gilbert was there that night...for the opponent, Veilleux and Foster were in New Jersey, and Almond and Prosser were in Houston.

Imagine that, a team with a 40% different roster played differently!

Old
04-03-2012, 09:50 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Jan - I think a bunch of us are not only disappointed but a little peeved about what the hell has been happening. We had a chance for a top 5 pick, which this organization could probably desperately need (We have good, solid prospects but nothing elite in our system and a lot of depth), especially if we could get a pure scoring winger or center or a top 2 defenseman and now, out of the blue, the Wild start winning again after 4 months of just packing it in and lazy play on the ice.

We had to endure not only terrible hockey but hockey players' that didn't seem to really care if they won or loss on some nights. It appeared they had tuned out Yeo and were simply waiting to pick up their golf bags at the end of the year.

Where was this hard play back in January? Why do they care 8 games before the season end? I mean it's a bit frustrating that NOW of all the time, they start playing like a hockey team again.

Old
04-03-2012, 09:57 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Did Russo ask him how many Cups he's costing this franchise?

That's the hard-hitting reporting we need in this town.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:00 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Did Russo ask him how many Cups he's costing this franchise?

That's the hard-hitting reporting we need in this town.
Did Russo ask them, why did they pack it in earlier in the season?

Old
04-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Jan - I think a bunch of us are not only disappointed but a little peeved about what the hell has been happening. We had a chance for a top 5 pick, which this organization could probably desperately need (We have good, solid prospects but nothing elite in our system and a lot of depth), especially if we could get a pure scoring winger or center or a top 2 defenseman and now, out of the blue, the Wild start winning again after 4 months of just packing it in and lazy play on the ice.

We had to endure not only terrible hockey but hockey players' that didn't seem to really care if they won or loss on some nights. It appeared they had tuned out Yeo and were simply waiting to pick up their golf bags at the end of the year.

Where was this hard play back in January? Why do they care 8 games before the season end? I mean it's a bit frustrating that NOW of all the time, they start playing like a hockey team again.
And believe it or not, I understand. But, look at Squidz's post, look at the teams we've beaten recently (and if you really want to blame somebody for us winning, maybe you should look at the other side of the ice).

I posted upcoming games in another thread, we still have a very good chance to get the #4 or #5 spot. It's not an impossibility, not even an improbability.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:05 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
And believe it or not, I understand. But, look at Squidz's post, look at the teams we've beaten recently (and if you really want to blame somebody for us winning, maybe you should look at the other side of the ice).
We got blown out by Columbus twice. That's an embarrassment.

We know the roster has changed, a lot, but the players that are still on this team, it seems like, oh hey! The season is over, we don't have to act like we don't care anymore and we can finally step it up.

Why now?

I mean we needed these guys to step up when guys like Koivu were down and they just do it now?

Old
04-03-2012, 10:09 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
I do find it a little bit funny, that the head coach has to explain why his team is trying to win instead of losing.
maybe they're reading this forum. not delving into personal insults here but tanking is not "smart".

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:12 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
maybe they're reading this forum. not delving into personal insults here but tanking is not "smart".
I really don't think anyone is calling for this team to tank but it's frustrating enduring three months of **** losses before this team finally feels a pulse and starts playing like a team again.

It's like a basketball game where it's 100 to 60 at the end and the players finally start playing like the game is on the line.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:12 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
We got blown out by Columbus twice. That's an embarrassment.

We know the roster has changed, a lot, but the players that are still on this team, it seems like, oh hey! The season is over, we don't have to act like we don't care anymore and we can finally step it up.

Why now?

I mean we needed these guys to step up when guys like Koivu were down and they just do it now?
So what you're saying is "I acknowledge that you've fully and completely explained things in a manner completely contrary to my position. I have no way to disagree with it, so I will completely ignore it for my only other option is to reconsider my opinion, which I refuse to do."