HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason? You want to talk about the offseason?

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Carle?
Yeah I mentioned him last night and I think he's proabably about the only one I'd be interested in other than Suter and Weber of course.

Old
04-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Well Weber is an RFA once again so he's not going anywhere.

Old
04-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Well if we can't acquire a top 6 forward via free agency could acquiring Raymond from Vancouver be a possibility?

Old
04-04-2012, 03:38 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Why would we want to acquire another tweener forward?

Old
04-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Why would we want to acquire another tweener forward?
I don't know myself. Just thought maybe if Lats isn't re-signed and Butch is still out concussed that we could use a little more depth.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:02 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I would say our free agency (or trade) moves in regards to forwards needs to be "go big or go home." We need to either get a bona fide top liner (a la Parise) or just leave the spot open and force one of our prospects to win it. We can't be handing out a 3 year contract to a marginal 2nd liner, and anyone worth getting isn't going to be had for less.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:22 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I don't think you'll see the Wild leave any spot open except for Granlund next season. The other kids will have to beat out someone for a spot, including ufa signings.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:27 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I don't think you'll see the Wild leave any spot open except for Granlund next season. The other kids will have to beat out someone for a spot, including ufa signings.
No UFA worth signing would sign a contract knowing they're likely going to be sitting in the press box.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:51 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
No UFA worth signing would sign a contract knowing they're likely going to be sitting in the press box.
Happens every year. Ufas get signed and either are beat out for the roster by a kid or they aren't . The situation is the same for every team. The nice thing here, a mid tier ufa wouldn't be out of a job if they were beat out, as the Wild lack depth, so it would be guys like peters getting sent to houston while the higher ufa signing likely gets bumped to a smaller role etc.

The reason you do the signing, if the kids aren't as ready as expected, you need to have quality NHL players in the mean time.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:55 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Happens every year. Ufas get signed and either are beat out for the roster by a kid or they aren't . The situation is the same for every team. The nice thing here, a mid tier ufa wouldn't be out of a job if they were best out, as the Wild lack depth, so it would be guys like peters getting sent to houston while the higher ufa signing likely gets bumped to a smaller role etc.

The reason you do the signing, if the kids aren't as ready as expected, you need to have quality NHL players in the mean time.
No quality NHL player will sign a single year contract that likely results in them spending significant press box time.

Are there players that sign these types of deals? Sure, once in a while you sign a Nystrom for 2 years, $3MM. Once in a while teams sign a Campoli for a year. If they're willing to sign for 1 year, they're not worth signing, almost without exception. If you sign them for more than one year, well Cullen is a perfect example of what you get from that.

Old
04-04-2012, 05:24 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

The only benefit I see from winning down this last stretch is showing the UFA crop that we can win when half of our roster isn't on IR. Could benefit from that. Apparently this year is supposed to be a good selection, but we still haven't gotten to the end of June when most of them re-signed with their organization.

Old
04-04-2012, 05:38 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Carle?
If Suter isn't going to PHI, then in all likeihood, Carle is re-signed by the Flyers. I think PHI will, by July 1, know one way or the other on Suter, because they will probably trade for Suter's rights after the playoffs. But similarly to how they couldn't sign Hamhuis, despite trading for his rights, I think PHI will be unable to ink Suter.

Why? Because many clues link Suter to Parise, and both to MIN -- with some of them summarized here.

If DET's Lidstrom retires, I think FLA's Garrison goes to DET (both right handed shooting d-men). I also think the rumours of DET's Stuart going back home SJ will also materialize.

As for Josh Harding, I think he ends up going to either EDM or NJ, following either Nick Schultz or Marek Zidlicky respectively. In fact, the rumour is that EDM likes Griffin Reinhart over Ryan Murray and Matt Dumba in the draft. I believe that could result in EDM and MIN swapping picks if the draft order remains similar to today. And such a deal could include Harding's rights.

With the third pick, I think MIN could very well select right handed shooting Dumba. He may be the ideal partner for the complementary left handed shooting Jonas Brodin -- the two of them playing eventually as a second pairing behind Suter and Gilbert. If Dumba isn't quite ready for top six minutes, perhaps a stop gap like VAN's 37 yr old UFA Sami Salo (RHS) could be brought in.

To replace Suter & Garrison, NSH & FLA respectively will likely sign the best remaining options, one each of Dennis Wideman (former Panther), Bryan Allen (another former Panther), Johnny Oduya, or the two Blues UFAs, Carlo Colaiacovo or Barret Jackman. They all play at least top five mins and are right around that 30 year old mark, ie, not too old to expect a multi-year deal.

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 04-04-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old
04-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I like your thinking but it would take a lot more than Harding to move up a few spots to #3.

Old
04-04-2012, 05:45 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I like your thinking but it would take a lot more than Harding to move up a few spots to #3.
Absolutely. I'm thinking MIN's second rndr + a prospect at the very least.

Old
04-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I can't see that happening at all.

Old
04-04-2012, 06:00 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Yeah, me neither. Fun to speculate though, including Seto for Stafford.

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 04-04-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old
04-04-2012, 07:17 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
If Suter isn't going to PHI, then in all likeihood, Carle is re-signed by the Flyers. I think PHI will, by July 1, know one way or the other on Suter, because they will probably trade for Suter's rights after the playoffs. But similarly to how they couldn't sign Hamhuis, despite trading for his rights, I think PHI will be unable to ink Suter.
Even with a nearly $5MM increase in the cap, can Philly really afford to re-sign Carle? They have $7.5MM in goalies, $30MM in forwards before re-signing Voracek and replacing Jagr, and $21MM in 5 defensemen. That's $58.5MM needing to re-sign Voracek, replace Jagr, add two defensemen, and a depth forward. I can't see $10MM being enough to cover all that if one of the defensemen is Carle.

Of course, they could always sell someone else off to make room, but that Pronger contract is starting to really pinch.

Old
04-05-2012, 12:52 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Even with a nearly $5MM increase in the cap, can Philly really afford to re-sign Carle? They have $7.5MM in goalies, $30MM in forwards before re-signing Voracek and replacing Jagr, and $21MM in 5 defensemen. That's $58.5MM needing to re-sign Voracek, replace Jagr, add two defensemen, and a depth forward. I can't see $10MM being enough to cover all that if one of the defensemen is Carle.

Of course, they could always sell someone else off to make room, but that Pronger contract is starting to really pinch.
PHI will not neglect replacing their two top minute crunching d-men (Pronger & Carle). If the cap goes up by $5M, they are laughing. Pronger will go on LTIR and everyone else gets a healthy raise. Only the soon to be redundant UFA Jagr is sacrificed.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.000m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Jody Shelley ($1.100m)
Tom Sestito ($0.605m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Matt Carle ($5.000m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Nicklas Grossman ($2.250m) / Andreas Lilja ($0.738m)
Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.801m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $69,300,000;
CAP PAYROLL: $71,273,998;
BONUSES: $3,715,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster):- $1,073,998

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 04-05-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old
04-05-2012, 08:42 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
PHI will not neglect replacing their two top minute crunching d-men (Pronger & Carle). If the cap goes up by $5M, they are laughing. Pronger will go on LTIR and everyone else gets a healthy raise. Only the soon to be redundant UFA Jagr is sacrificed.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.000m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Jody Shelley ($1.100m)
Tom Sestito ($0.605m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Matt Carle ($5.000m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Nicklas Grossman ($2.250m) / Andreas Lilja ($0.738m)
Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.801m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $69,300,000;
CAP PAYROLL: $71,273,998;
BONUSES: $3,715,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster):- $1,073,998
The issue is, this assumes 1) Pronger is eligible to be put on LTIR at the start of the season, and 2) Pronger will remain on LTIR until at least 40% of the way through the season. Basically, if he's cleared to come off IR, the team's screwed if they re-signed Carle. If doctors clear Pronger for a return, the team will be forced to play him, or he might try to retire. That 35+ contract of his is not going to be pretty.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:30 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Bit random but I'm doing a mock offseason for the Wild right now...

Would you guys trade Backstrom and Clutterbuck (+something really minor) to Toronto for Luke Schenn? I'm leaning yes but not sure.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
04-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

100% yes

Old
04-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

Would you guys trade Backstrom and Clutterbuck (+something really minor) to Toronto for Luke Schenn? I'm leaning yes but not sure.
Are you re-signing Harding?

Old
04-05-2012, 10:48 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Are you re-signing Harding?
I would try in this scenario. Nothing would be a given, though, as he'll be set to test the market and I'll likely have to compete for his services.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:49 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I know Toronto is high on Schenn, but I'm not sold on him. I think I'd want something different out of a deal like that.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:52 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

I would do that in a second.

-Backstrom is good, but he's nothing special. I'd be fine with Harding and Hackett for the next few years.

-Clutterbuck is a good hockey player, but he is so much of a solo player its painful. For every 1 goal he gets, he's costing this team 2 goals in blown offense. He turns the puck over constantly, he can't cycle or pass, and he skates by the puck looking for the hit 5x a game.

-Schenn is a good hockey player who needs to get out of Toronto. Schenn and Brodin would be a fantastic pairing.

Closed Thread