HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Claim LW Colton Gillies Off Waivers

Old
01-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Xoggz22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
Hey CBJ!

Where will you play Gillies with all your injuries?

Is he better than some of your bottom 6 foward?

Could he stay and become part of the solution long term?
To be determined. We haven't even seen him practice yet. His skill set seems to be a plus for our bottom 6. I don't see him any higher than that based only on what I've read. Speed and size is a good thing. He's young and maybe can offer some longer term potential. Someone referred to him as a younger Chimmer. I could manage that if he can avoid the off sides

We'll know a little more tomorrow but really it will take a few games to get integrated. At this point it doesn't appear it can get any worse with these additions.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
With Carter back, might not the lines look like:

Vinny/Brass/Nash
Johan/Carter/Kubalik
(Your Line Here)
DMac/Pahlsson/Dorsett

Possible?
Why not?

Wouldn't mind seeing Atkinson given a shot in Kubalik's spot.

Worth a shot.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:21 PM
rafterman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Big, fast, hardworking... no hands whatsoever, does not comprehend the game of hockey.
As a Wild fan, this is a perfect description. He seems like a genuinely great kid and works his tail off, but hockey just doesn't seem natural to him, and by the time he processes what he needs to do in a situation, it's too late.

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
With Carter back, might not the lines look like:

Vinny/Brass/Nash
Johan/Carter/Kubalik
(Your Line Here)
DMac/Pahlsson/Dorsett

Possible?
I'd call it probable. Although I'd move DMac to center, slot Gillies in at LW there, and send Pahlsson to the next good home for a draft pick.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
As a Wild fan, this is a perfect description. He seems like a genuinely great kid and works his tail off, but hockey just doesn't seem natural to him, and by the time he processes what he needs to do in a situation, it's too late.
Sounds like he'll fit right in on this team

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Sounds like he'll fit right in on this team
Really? 'Cause I could have sworn that the current complaint du jour was that nearly everyone we'd assembled was lazy and completely unwilling to work.

How can I stick to the party line if it keeps changing like this without y'all telling me? This is why I have to keep coming up with independent thoughts.

Old
01-16-2012, 07:47 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Really? 'Cause I could have sworn that the current complaint du jour was that nearly everyone we'd assembled was lazy and completely unwilling to work.

How can I stick to the party line if it keeps changing like this without y'all telling me? This is why I have to keep coming up with independent thoughts.
You forgot stupid and can't shoot worth a damn.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Replacement for Dane Byers?
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/

Quote:
The Blue Jackets will dress left winger Colton Gillies in Byers' spot on the fourth line for Tuesday's game vs. Edmonton in Nationwide Arena.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:12 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Proof that "look at me" jackassery was not invented by American pro football players, though most of those were much more original and amusing than the typical chest thumping and preening that goes on after every routine tackle!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Matt

Hands of stone and a cement head to boot. Just what this team needed. Howson is a great bottom feeder.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Hands of stone and a cement head to boot. Just what this team needed. Howson is a great bottom feeder.
See prior disparaging comments by myself re: fallacy of "it's not the move I wanted so EVERYTHING SUCKS".

Old
01-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Manny Malhotra Part 2.

Just kidding. Maybe.
You are. Trust me. My own infatuation with Malhotra going back to 1996 or 1997 aside, there's simply not a comparison between the two in any sense.

Quote:
Looking at him, I think "Jason Chimera 2.0, only a decade younger". Big, fast, hardworking... no hands whatsoever, does not comprehend the game of hockey.

Not that this is a bad thing per se. A high speed forechecker is a nice thing to have.
I'd say this is a bit closer. Gillies is like a bizarre clone of Chimera and Raffi Torres, with a ceiling somewhere beneath both of them. In a career year, he'd be looking at something like 15 goals and 20 assists

I wouldn't get too attached to him though.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Badger36

Gillis looking forward to new beginnings

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=612424
Quote:
Colton Gillies needed only a second to identify the Blue Jackets' first game against his former club, the Minnesota Wild.

"February 7," he said. "I looked it up right away."

It’s not the 22-year-old Gillies, who picked up on waivers by the Blue Jackets over the weekend, is looking for revenge against the team that drafted him 16th overall in 2007. He played 52 games for the Wild over the course of two separate seasons (2008-09 and 2010-11), but spent the majority of his time with the Houston Aeros, Minnesota’s top affiliate.

He is excited about the change of scenery because it’s a new opportunity to show that he can stick in the NHL, and prove he can consistently play the style of game which enabled him to be a high draft pick.
"He probably needs a fresh start and a change. He's a young guy who's only 22 years old and he was a first-round pick." - General Manager Scott Howson

“I was excited,” Gillies said. “There are a lot of young guys here, and hopefully I can just prove myself, you know?”

It’s a fresh start on several levels for Gillies in Columbus. He said he’s never played with any of his new teammates in junior or any other stop in his career. The only connection is a three-week stint with goaltender Steve Mason on Canada’s gold-medal winning World Junior Championship team in 2008.

He made an impact in his first game wearing the union blue sweater, setting up Derek MacKenzie’s game-winner just 32 seconds into the third period on Tuesday night. After stealing the puck at the blue line, he chipped it around the Edmonton Oilers’ defense and put a centering pass right on MacKenzie’s tape to slam it in for a 3-2 lead.

The Blue Jackets were intrigued by Gillies when his name appeared on the waiver wire, and with their pro scouting team in town over the weekend, GM Scott Howson said it was a chance to hear everyone’s opinion on acquiring the player. In the end, they decided as a group that adding Gillies was in the best interest of the organization.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:14 PM
DaveCBJ
Boom. Outta here.

He clearly needs to get comfortable with our winning system, but I think he has potential. Good size, decent speed, and a chip on his shoulder. It isn't like things are going to get worse.

DaveCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:57 PM
nickschultzfan

Gillies was screwed when the Wild pulled him out of the WHL to sit in the pressbox.

Could be a decent 3rd liner IMO.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Hi, Wings fan here.

I'm going to trade Gillies in some keeper league that values also defensive skill and physicality in an unique way. Does he still have some NHL-potential for defensive lines?

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:27 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Hi, Wings fan here.

I'm going to trade Gillies in some keeper league that values also defensive skill and physicality in an unique way. Does he still have some NHL-potential for defensive lines?
He has solid defensive skill, is very physical, and will drop the gloves on occasion. Pretty much your ideal fourth line winger.. He should be a solid pickup for you. Just don't expect much offensive output.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 03:03 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
He has solid defensive skill, is very physical, and will drop the gloves on occasion. Pretty much your ideal fourth line winger.. He should be a solid pickup for you. Just don't expect much offensive output.
check his rep with Wild fans and his stats - he isn't physical and has dropped the gloves once in the nhl if i recall correctly.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 04:29 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
check his rep with Wild fans and his stats - he isn't physical and has dropped the gloves once in the nhl if i recall correctly.
I'm talking about after he came here. He has dropped them twice since coming here, and from watching him play he has stepped up his physicality.

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Just because he doesn't fight 15 times a year doesn't mean he isn't physical.

For a deep keeper league that takes into account hits, blocked shots, takeaways, he's not a total slouch. Just don't expect anything offensively.