HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Ottawa Senators and Their Rivals

Old
01-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 500
The Ottawa Senators and Their Rivals

This rivalry (Leafs, Habs) has become pathetic.

It's not even a true rivalry anymore. The Leafs and Senators used to not only be geographical rivals, but "real" rivals as well, always playing each other in the playoffs, etc, etc.

That's how rivalries like Detroit vs San Jose or Vancouver vs Chicago began, and it would be nice to see Ottawa vs Toronto return to that form. That's the primary reason that I was so excited about the new re-alignment.

Same kind of goes for Montreal, although we've never really had a "true" rivalry against them. I'd argue that the Pittsburgh Penguins have been bigger rivals since the lockout then any other team in the league, probably followed by the Buffalo Sabres.

I have no doubt that the rivalry with the Leafs will go strong again, because of the already present geographic situation, especially if the realignment does eventually happen.

Anyways, do you think that the Sens are REAL rivals with the Leafs? Habs? For me, the only time I have an immense amount of hatred for them is when they are playing us on that night, but never anymore.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:51 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Just Toronto and Buffalo

BTW I still expect to see the realignment in 2013-2014 or next year (if the league is smart and knows whats going to happen already) the players just stopped it so they would have something to give for the Olympics during the CBA discussions

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
On the ice this season there hasn't really be any real rivals.

As fans, Canadiens and Leafs are for sure without a doubt rivals.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GK
Not Jeeks

I think I have a strong hate for the leafs because I am around dumb ones all the time being just outside of the GTA. So for me, they are a 'real' rival. But I do agree, it won't be at its fullest until we start playing them in the playoffs again.

I personally don't even care about the habs these days.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:54 PM
DukeNukem

They're not restricted to the GTA

DukeNukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Habs/Leafs always and forever. The on ice product will never change my distaste for both teams.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:58 PM
KA BLAMO

Buffalo is the Sens' biggest rival. I wouldn't even consider what we have with the Leafs much of a rivalry, it's more of a disdain for their fanbase.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Toronto are the biggest. I don't like the Habs personally but I don't really see it as a rivalry.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolarama View Post
Buffalo is the Sens' biggest rival. I wouldn't even consider what we have with the Leafs much of a rivalry, it's more of a disdain for their fanbase.
QFT!!!

This is my opinion.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:04 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeNukem View Post
They're not restricted to the GTA
Well, 90% of hockey fans where I live are Leaf fans.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:06 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
Well, 90% of hockey fans where I live are Leaf fans.
Tell them "GK disappoint"

Old
01-13-2012, 06:22 PM
ClubSandwiches

The Sens and Leafs rivalry is very real, even with both teams becoming somewhat irrelevant for the last few seasons. Ottawa and Toronto hate each other on every level from the fanbase, to the players, to the organization management. It may have died down, and we may have seen some nice periods of competitive rivalries between Ottawa and Pittsburgh/Buffalo/Philadelphia, but if Ottawa and Toronto meet again in the playoffs I wouldn't be surprised at anything that took place, it'll be a war on ice.

I think some of you guys are too removed from some of our brutally embarrassing playoff losses to the TML. living in Toronto I don't get to live it down, since playing spoiler to some great Ottawa teams is about the only thing of note Toronto has done in not so recent memory. Think about how much hate, such an quiet aloof player like Phaneuf gets. We hate hate hate Phaneuf, to the point that we hate looking at him, we hate his face, his name makes shudder cause it even sounds like the name an oaf would have. I don't remember hating Phaneuf this much while he was in Calgary or even at all. I hate Lupul cause of some innocuous remarks he made about the Sens. I hate Ron Wilson, but I thought he was a good coach on the Sharks. I've been conditioned to hate the Leafs, this is as real as it gets.

Ottawa/Montreal is non existent. If anything it's one fanbase finding another fanbase's hubris obnoxious, but I'd be hard pressed to find any team that doesn't find the MTL fanbase obnoxious as a collective.

Buffalo seemed like a real rivalry between the players for a few years after the lockouts, but I'd say it's pretty much dead now. Toronto is our real rival.

ClubSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

If the Rangers keep trying to knock out our best players with oops type fake accidental hits they may become my personal most hated team.

Real rivalries are more based on winning or losing important key games including playoffs series to another team. There will also always be the bragging rights for geographical teams ie... Team Alberta, Team Ontario, Team Quebec when Quebec gets their team back or best in the East or West like Boston vs Vancouver especially if they meet again. Some are just fan inventions based on board trolling.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:33 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

The one thing I hate about the new re-alignment is that is shuts down a lot of current rivalries that we have.

Goodbye:
Sens-Penguins
Canucks-Blackhawks
Other ones like these. The current format is fine.

The only ones we have are
Buffalo
Toronto
Pittsburgh.

I don't want to be rivals with Florida or TB. I don't want to have a forced conference rivalry playing the same teams over and over, it would get boring. I like it when new teams find new rivalries like that.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:39 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post
The one thing I hate about the new re-alignment is that is shuts down a lot of current rivalries that we have.

Goodbye:
Sens-Penguins
Canucks-Blackhawks
Other ones like these. The current format is fine.

The only ones we have are
Buffalo
Toronto
Pittsburgh.

I don't want to be rivals with Florida or TB. I don't want to have a forced conference rivalry playing the same teams over and over, it would get boring. I like it when new teams find new rivalries like that.
The first set you listed will die off anyways. Under the current alignment rivalries really only develop if two teams in the same conference are good enough to make it to at least the second round a few years in a row. And when one or both aren't it dies (Col-Det)

Old
01-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Since when was Ottawa-Montreal a rivalry?

Buffalo-Ottawa was one of the more underrated rivalries a few years ago.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:45 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
No team I hate more then the Sabres. My buddy is a Sabres fan. I'm also a Raiders fan and he's a Bronco's fan so we have some animosity

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 06:52 PM
EpicNeilTime

I'd say the Sens and the Flyers. Every time we meet it's a physical game and always feels like a playoff atmosphere.

EpicNeilTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Ohhh Franco

On ice, at present time, I'd say there are a few rivalries peculating - Toronto, Buffalo and Philly (more home ad home reg games please!).

Off ice, fan vs fan, I'd say it's wholly Toronto. Dont know too many Sens fans who can even remotely tolerate Leafs fans - and rightfully so. It all depends on what level they bring it to. I often make smart ass comments etc to random, complete strangers who I notice wearing Leaf apparel.

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:25 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I haven't really hated Buffalo since we put them out in 5 back in 2007.

Pittsburgh was just a quirk in the playoff scheduling.

In some ways, our most consistent playoff rival has been the Devils.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 08:22 AM
DukeNukem

I couldn't name more than 2 Leaf players, but I'm sure they know who we are. They used to put up a team that could be hated, now, it's just the fans and the hype that the big blue machine generates that I can't stand. Montreal fans are annoying too but they are a joke as far as a team goes. Buffalo, Philly and Pittsburg are good teams to get the blood flowing. After that, meh.

DukeNukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 08:30 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

There isn't really any intense rivalries going obviously, but I would say our rivals are in our division. I don't get the same feeling with Boston, probably because they stand out alone in the division as a true cup contender..but Toronto/Montreal/Buffalo are the closest thing to being a rival right now.

Pittsburgh would be our playoff rivals since we seem to get them in the 1st round everytime post lockout.

01-14-2012, 08:46 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

The order I see it as:

Toronto - Some of the worst fans on the planet, with the media hype machine backing them, and the past playoff history we have with them still lingers.

Pittsburg - The majority of there fans are Leaf fans that jumped ship when Crosby came into the league, there fans are almost as annoying, add to the fact that alot of the times they seem to get away with alot on the ice. Also the media would sooner acknowledge a hang nail from Crosby in the game over a solid play from the sens most of the time I find.

Buffalo - I think Buffalo fans hate us more than we hate them, but Ottawa and Buffalo have had some pretty exciting games over the years, I think its more good hockey than hate really, not so much these days though.

HM to

Montreal - Find there team and fans hilarious more than anything else
Vancouver - The Leafs of the West

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I haven't really hated Buffalo since we put them out in 5 back in 2007.

Pittsburgh was just a quirk in the playoff scheduling.

In some ways, our most consistent playoff rival has been the Devils.
This is why I like the new realignment - we've been lucky enough to have some nice "quirks" in the playoff matchups to have a few nice rivalries develop (Ottawa-Pittsburgh, Ottawa-Toronto, Detroit-Anaheim, Chicago-Vancouver), but when drawing eight teams from a fifteen-team conference, there are just too many permutations to be able to rely on these quirks from happening on a regular basis.

I'd take a smaller number of teams to draw from with a higher probability of a recurring matchup than the opposite.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Ismellofhockey

Leafs, Sabres, Pens, Flyers and Devils have been our most frequent opponents over the years. I have strong memories for all of them. Even the Lightning were good rivals.
But the only rivalries that matter are Montreal and Toronto. I can deal with not seeing the Devils or the Flyers in the first round.

I want to beat TO in the playoffs. I want to see the Habs and the Sens go to a 7th game.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote