HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears Thread #5 - Bears acquire Brandon Marshall

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
and not going after a OL player that was available was on JA too

statistically, we've had the worst OL in the NFL
They went after the guy from the Steelers but after he resigned it seemed like they had no back up plan which was terrible. Spencer was a good signing though.

Old
01-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
They went after the guy from the Steelers but after he resigned it seemed like they had no back up plan which was terrible. Spencer was a good signing though.
He not only went after the guy from the Steelers (and offered him $3M more than Pittsburgh did) but he went after Bushrod from the Saints too. Both players took home town discounts to stay with their current teams. I didn't blame either of those on Angelo. There is only so much you can do. Those were both contending teams and the players were happy there.

Old
01-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Illinihockey

Ruskell fired by Bears....happy dance.

Old
01-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Illinihockey

Pioli said that Emery ran the draft room for the Chiefs which is good. Glad we have a real college scouting guy now. From 08-11 Emery drafted Chiefs starters Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Charles, Richardson, Carr (all of these previous picks in the 08 draft), Jackson, Succop, Berry, Asomoah, Moeaki, Lewis, Houston....impressive

Old
01-30-2012, 10:28 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Pioli said that Emery ran the draft room for the Chiefs which is good. Glad we have a real college scouting guy now. From 08-11 Emery drafted Chiefs starters Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Charles, Richardson, Carr (all of these previous picks in the 08 draft), Jackson, Succop, Berry, Asomoah, Moeaki, Lewis, Houston....impressive

Also:

Quote:
During his first stint with the Bears, the team drafted eight Pro Bowlers in seven seasons: Receiver Marty Booker (third round in 1999), kick returner Jerry Azumah (fifth round in 1999), middle linebacker Brian Urlacher (first round in 2000), safety Mike Brown (second round in 2000), cornerback Charles Tillman (second round in 2003), linebacker Lance Briggs (third round in 2003), defensive tackle Tommie Harris (first round in 2004) and cornerback Nathan Vasher (fourth round of 2004).

During Emery’s five seasons with the Falcons, two of Atlanta’s first-round draft picks developed into Pro Bowlers: Receiver Roddy White (2005) and quarterback Matt Ryan (2008).

Old
01-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Recoil

Quote:
As with any transaction / hire, I always hope for the best and let them prove me wrong. Even though, on the surface, I would have rather had the Patriots guy, mainly because I'm a bit tired of the Bears always hiring people they know or work with, I still like what I see of Emery's history.

I hope he has a good draft, and makes a solid Free Agency move or two to make this team better. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Old
01-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
As with any transaction / hire, I always hope for the best and let them prove me wrong. Even though, on the surface, I would have rather had the Patriots guy, mainly because I'm a bit tired of the Bears always hiring people they know or work with, I still like what I see of Emery's history.

I hope he has a good draft, and makes a solid Free Agency move or two to make this team better. I'm cautiously optimistic.
Licht wasn't even in the Patriots war room during their drafts. Why in the world would you want him? If you wanted another pro-personnel guy just keep Angelo or Ruskell.

Old
01-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Licht wasn't even in the Patriots war room during their drafts. Why in the world would you want him? If you wanted another pro-personnel guy just keep Angelo or Ruskell.
I knew nothing about the guy, other than he came from outside the Bears family/friends circle and was a part of a consistently championship team. That was the only point I was making there.

Old
01-30-2012, 11:12 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Who cares about where Licht was during the draft. He probably learned more simply being a part of that great organization than anyone in the Bears war room ever knew.

Old
01-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
I knew nothing about the guy, other than he came from outside the Bears family/friends circle and was a part of a consistently championship team. That was the only point I was making there.
Understood but you need to be careful with the Patriots. People keep leaving the Patriots and keep not succeeding. Belicek is in total control of that operation.

Old
01-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
need a link to believe it

Old
01-30-2012, 01:37 PM
CS85
Tell 'em, Mean Gene!

Send a message via AIM to CS85
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1746443.story

Seeya, Tim. I love being wrong.

Old
01-30-2012, 01:44 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Barber was their short yardage back, so of course his yards per carry average is going to be low. Look at other short yardage backs like Jacobs, Tolbert, Green-Ellis, Bush....all between 3.7 and 4 but high TD/rush ratio. Clearly he was the goat in Denver game, but I'm not going to call him a bust because of a bad decision not to get down and a fumble. With a real QB he never even has a chance to be the goat in that game.

Hurd was brought in to be a special teams player, and he was fine. He was fine as a gunner.

Jennings was benched because they needed to get another look at Bowman. If you think Jennings had a bad season or is a bad plalyer its not worth arguing with you because you don't watch the games or don't know football.

Actually I'm not sure you understand what a director of pro-personnel does. He certainly didn't negotiate those contract numbers nor tell Angelo they shouldn't go after a wide receiver.
Um, barber started 2 games and his YPC in those games was: 3.1, 4.0. A backup running back who can't fill in well when the starter goes down? yea, what a fantastic signing. Face it, we pissed away over 2 million on a guy who was worse than Bell. If we wanted a short yardage back, then use the FB we had on the roster. Again, I'll bring up the two wins barber cost us and ask how he could be considered anything but a poor signing? Oh, that's right, the veteran RB who can't even line up properly isn't the goat. Ignore the 7yr veteran inexplicably running out of bounds and then fumbling the game away in OT. Both were the fault of the backup qb.

And besides, you're missing my entire point. Which was that what's the point in having a "pro-personnel" guy on staff if the majority of FA's the team gets end up busting? Either nobody paid any attention to him or he's not good at his job. In either case, there's no point in keeping him when he's just a symbol of the failed culture of the previous GM.

And you think Jennings would have gotten benched in game 15 when we were still in the hunt just to get a look at bowman? Nahhh. He's just not very good. He's a solid tackler, and that's about it. Works okay when the bears play a lot of zone, but he's undersized and wasn't good in man coverage(which was used more this year than in years past).

The point is moot anyway because the bears wised up and canned his ass.

Last edited by madgoat33: 01-30-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old
01-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
Um, barber started 2 games and his YPC in those games was: 3.1, 4.0.
In his defense those two games came when Cutler was gone. Teams realized that Hanie sucked and stacked the box.

Old
01-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Um, barber started 2 games and his YPC in those games was: 3.1, 4.0. A backup running back who can't fill in well when the starter goes down? yea, what a fantastic signing. Face it, we pissed away over 2 million on a guy who was worse than Bell. If we wanted a short yardage back, then use the FB we had on the roster. Again, I'll bring up the two wins barber cost us and ask how he could be considered anything but a poor signing?

And besides, you're missing my entire point. Which was that what's the point in having a "pro-personnel" guy on staff if the majority of FA's the team gets end up busting? Either nobody paid any attention to him or he's not good at his job. In either case, there's no point in keeping him when he's just a symbol of the failed culture of the previous GM.

The point is moot anyway because the bears wised up and canned his ass.
Those games were against 2 really good defenses and without Cutler. People were daring Hanie to throw on them. In 5 rushes before getting injured, Forte averaged 2.4 yards per carry. Barber had 140 total yards against Denver and a TD, thats not a bad game. Clearly the fumble is what did them in, but Barber isn't the reason the Bears lost that game. Hanie throwing for 115 yards is what lost them that game. And Barber certainly wasn't the reason they lost that KC game. Blaming him for that lost is just being football stupid.

Old
01-30-2012, 01:58 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
In his defense those two games came when Cutler was gone. Teams realized that Hanie sucked and stacked the box.
Kahlil Bell's YPC with hanie at qb: 8.5(only 4 carries) 4.4, 4.3(started).

Barber also missed blocks on more than a few occasions and was **** as a pass catcher.

My mind=blown. You are blaming the backup qb(starting in his third game) for marion barber, the 7 year veteran, running out of bounds to stop the clock then proceeding to fumble away the game in OT when we're in fieldgoal range? Almost every team in the league just prays to have a shot to win the game when their backup qb is in. When a team has as little depth as the bears, a bad o-line, and no receivers they can ill afford for their running back to make two huge errors like that. Those errors lost us a won game, not Caleb Hanie. Would it be nice if we had scored more and it was never an issue? Clearly. But we didn't, we still had the game won, and he cost us it two separate times.

Last edited by madgoat33: 01-30-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old
01-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:

Barber also missed blocks on more than a few occasions and was **** as a pass catcher.
I don't have the number but Bell had something ridiculous like 3 fumbles on 79 carries. Thats a crazy high fumble rate and can't happen which is why I don't think he'll be the back up RB next year.

Old
01-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Recoil

Quote:
I don't have the number but Bell had something ridiculous like 3 fumbles on 79 carries. Thats a crazy high fumble rate and can't happen which is why I don't think he'll be the back up RB next year.
Yes, one of them cost me my Fantasy Football Championship...

Old
01-30-2012, 02:13 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Yea, his fumbles are concerning, but that's also something that can be improved. Look at AP. Bell has decent speed, good quickness and I like the way he makes cuts. He's also solid as a pass catcher and was surprisingly okay as a blocker. I'd have no problem with him as the backup RB next season, and I'd much prefer he be the backup and they use some money to improve the dismal receiving corps than they go out and sign yet another backup rb and cheap out on receiver again.

Old
01-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:

My mind=blown. You are blaming the backup qb(starting in his third game) for marion barber, the 7 year veteran, running out of bounds to stop the clock then proceeding to fumble away the game in OT when we're in fieldgoal range? Almost every team in the league just prays to have a shot to win the game when their backup qb is in. When a team has as little depth as the bears, a bad o-line, and no receivers they can ill afford for their running back to make two huge errors like that. Those errors lost us a won game, not Caleb Hanie. Would it be nice if we had scored more and it was never an issue? Clearly. But we didn't, we still had the game won, and he cost us it two separate times.
Where did I say any of that? I was talking about his yards per carry.

Old
01-30-2012, 02:15 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
Where did I say any of that? I was talking about his yards per carry.
Yea, I edited my post, it was a response to the one directly above mine, not your's.

Old
01-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Yea, his fumbles are concerning, but that's also something that can be improved. Look at AP. Bell has decent speed, good quickness and I like the way he makes cuts. He's also solid as a pass catcher and was surprisingly okay as a blocker. I'd have no problem with him as the backup RB next season, and I'd much prefer he be the backup and they use some money to improve the dismal receiving corps than they go out and sign yet another backup rb and cheap out on receiver again.
I'd be fine with him as the back up as well. Maybe draft someone in the late rounds to be the 3rd stringer and replace him if he can't stop fumbling.

Old
01-30-2012, 02:32 PM
CS85
Tell 'em, Mean Gene!

Send a message via AIM to CS85
From what I've heard in this press conference is the ultimate Anti-Angelo - guy is not, and will not say anything that could ever be considered controversial or taken out of context. They wanted a guy who would provide an unflinching unemotional face to the media regarding the ins and outs of the Bears. They hired the right guy for that. Emery hasn't said a damned thing about anything that would be considered an original thought since he took the podium.

Old
02-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Illinihockey

Sean Jenson had an interesting trade idea for the Bears and that would be trading Briggs to the Giants for Osi Unemyora. I think I'd probably do that, especially with Briggs constantly crying about his contract. Osi and Peppers would be deadly and I think you can find a weakside linebacker a lot easier than you can find a premier pass rusher.

Old
02-01-2012, 02:35 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sean Jenson had an interesting trade idea for the Bears and that would be trading Briggs to the Giants for Osi Unemyora. I think I'd probably do that, especially with Briggs constantly crying about his contract. Osi and Peppers would be deadly and I think you can find a weakside linebacker a lot easier than you can find a premier pass rusher.
Done deal for me.

Closed Thread