HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Sports Thread XII

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Looked up mock drafts, and I saw four different players at four different positions...

LB (from Florida), TE (from Stanford), DT (from Penn State) and RB...I forgot the actual guys names

Funny but we're probably drafting BPA because we have so many holes. And next year's schedule is going to be brutal. I think we're another 2-3 years away from being a legitimate playoff contender.

Old
01-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Lawson plays like an absolute idiot for the Nuggets in this 4th quarter.
Like he gave it away all by himself.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Huh...didn't realize the Broncos started 1-4 and ended 1-4.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...medium=twitter

And I laugh heartily at the fact that Norv Turner managed to keep his job. Dude is like pockmarked teflon.

Old
01-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
And I laugh heartily at the fact that Norv Turner managed to keep his job. Dude is like pockmarked teflon.
Yeah I don't get that either. That dude took one of the most talented teams in the NFL and drove them nowhere. Well....actually he did maybe drive them somewhere - into the ground? I don't know how the Chargers can have any fans left after they retain this dude year in and year out.

Old
01-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
. I highly doubt that a player with no previous indicators of being a dirty player would just go after someone unprompted.
Obviously we must not be talking about the same player.

Because ask around. Vonn Miller has been playing on the edge for a long time.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Bonzai12

Miller breaking Rodney Stewart's leg with a horse collar - even before the pros.

Miller's no saint but you also don't want him to become Vontaze Burfict either. Burfict was a top 10 draft pick, the coach told him to clean up and now he's a mid to late 1st rounder. He's toned it down so much (and Burfict was REALLY dirty...now he's just dirty) that he's lost a lot of what drives him.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Bonzai12

"Tim has earned the right to be the starting quarterback going into training camp next year," John Elway said. "He made some good strides."

There it is....(via ESPN).

If the Broncos are close to .500 next year, Tebow will have done good. Their schedule is brutal. If he doesn't improve, fans will be calling for his head by the end of the year and we may only win 4-5 games.

Elway also said he's going to work with Tim in the offseason. I would love to watch that. lol. I thought Elway's pretty much wasted 24x7 when he's not on TV.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

vCash: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
"Tim has earned the right to be the starting quarterback going into training camp next year," John Elway said. "He made some good strides."

There it is....(via ESPN).

If the Broncos are close to .500 next year, Tebow will have done good. Their schedule is brutal. If he doesn't improve, fans will be calling for his head by the end of the year and we may only win 4-5 games.
That wouldn't be so bad. The 2013 draft will have several good qb prospects.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

vCash: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Wah. Wah. Wah.
Just pointing out the truth. Chet was saying that miller was not a dirty player yet he has been fined twice for dirty hits. Sometimes you need a guy like that, but to deny that he isn't that type of guy is homerism. I think most fans would love to have Suh on their team despite his reputation and inability to understand what he is doing wrong.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Bonzai12

Seth Smith traded for 2 more freaking pitchers.

I just don't get it. We draft pitchers every stupid year in the draft, and then when we get a good young bat we trade them for more pitchers. wtf.

On top of that, I tried to get a Rockies 25 game pack and they want $18 for a seat in the pavilions. They raised ticket prices apparently in October. what a ripoff.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:

I just don't get it. We draft pitchers every stupid year in the draft, and then when we get a good young bat we trade them for more pitchers. wtf.

On top of that, I tried to get a Rockies 25 game pack and they want $18 for a seat in the pavilions. They raised ticket prices apparently in October. what a ripoff.
Wonder if they're overloading in order to snag a 3rd baseman. That was what Renck said the Braves wanted as part of a package for Prado. Apparently the ship has sailed on that guy, so I'm not sure who DOD is trying to target now.

But it might also be an admission, which was clearly the case with the Ubaldo deal, that the Rox organization depth at pitcher is woefully weak despite drafting pitchers every freaking year. Still don't know why DOD has a job after so many repeated failures.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
But it might also be an admission, which was clearly the case with the Ubaldo deal, that the Rox organization depth at pitcher is woefully weak despite drafting pitchers every freaking year. Still don't know why DOD has a job after so many repeated failures.
I'm anxious to see how Greg Reynolds pitches for the Rangers. If they turn him around I'm going to be livid.

DOD absolutely botched that pick. And I know DOD's not a scout, but Reynolds wasn't even in the top 3 of the pitcher projections that year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...aft/index.html

Old
01-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

Quote:

A move needs to happen. FWIW, I would really have liked to see Smith coming off the bench, so I'm a little dissapointed.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
I'm anxious to see how Greg Reynolds pitches for the Rangers. If they turn him around I'm going to be livid.

DOD absolutely botched that pick. And I know DOD's not a scout, but Reynolds wasn't even in the top 3 of the pitcher projections that year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...aft/index.html
I don't know what name on that list that the Rockies passed on makes me more sick...Tim Lincecum, Clayton Kershaw or Evan Longoria.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
I don't know what name on that list that the Rockies passed on makes me more sick...Tim Lincecum, Clayton Kershaw or Evan Longoria.
To be fair to the Rox, that draft had some real bombs up front.

Old
01-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Broncos fire Strength Coach Rich Tuten

Old
01-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Stories
Science!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Seems strange to fire a conditioning coach.

Old
01-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Seems strange to fire a conditioning coach.
Especially one who worked there for 17 years and designed the team's new training facility.

In Fox's defense, it's rare that a guy like that can survive even one coaching change, let alone two. Probably just a case of the coach wanting his own guy. Tuten's probably just shocked that he managed to survive fire-happy McDaniels only to get ****canned by Fox.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

There's been enough dissatisfaction about how injury prone the Broncos have been under Tuten from outside the team, it sounds like it there may have been some internally as well.

The Dolphins are interviewing McCoy a second time and he and Allen are both to talk to the Raiders.

Old
01-18-2012, 08:54 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 50
Andre Miller won the game for the Nuggets today.

Old
01-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post
Andre Miller won the game for the Nuggets today.
Good to have him back. Loved him and Boykins in our backcourt.

Old
01-19-2012, 02:10 AM
Bonzai12

Tuten getting canned makes sense to me. If we're going to be a run first / defense philosophy, the strength and conditioning guy plays a major role. Fox must have not felt like guys were pushing around opponents enough in the 1st/4th quarters of games.

Old
01-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

I started watching some basketball this year and since I'm not that much of an expert I wanted to ask you for opinion about some players of the Nuggets.
Would be really great if somebody could share some quick thoughts about:

-Gallinari?
-Lawson?
-Afflalo?

I quickly got to like Gallinari a lot, Afflalo seems like he has the talent but now and then he seems so unconcentrated.
Same for Lawson, although I like him more than Afflalo.

What are the expectations for the Nuggets? Overall they're looking good so far this season, were they considered playoff contenders prior to the good start? Or are they even more than that.

Would be great if somebody could help me
Thanks in advance.

Old
01-20-2012, 08:51 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 50
Gallo is probably our best scorer, he can drive to the hoop and he's capable of hitting 3's. He's a better defender than I thought he would be when we acquired him in a trade for Melo. OT, there was a rumor he rejected Kim Kardashian lol

Afflalo is our best perimeter defender on the team. He knows his role and doesn't try to put up gazillion points by himself. He usually stays on the 3point line, but he's also able to drive to the hoop and create contact and gets fouled.

Lawson is amazing. The team just plays so much better when he's on the floor, one of the quickest PG in the NBA right now and gets to the hoop a lot using his speed. For a short guy, he doesn't get his shots blocked much. I'll label him as a pass first PG, he's solid shooting the ball as well.

Great thing about this team is that most players are unselfish. Probably the deepest team in the NBA right now, and that will help with a condensed schedule this year.

Expectations is to make playoffs and make some noise for once. We made the playoffs for 7~8 straight years. Past 4 years we won 50 or more games. Problem is that they only get passed the first round once in that time.

Old
01-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Haha, my first thought was he probably hasn't any problems to hook up some girls

Thanks for your post, mate. Most of it confirms my thoughts and as a big soccer and hockey fan it's interesting to get into basketball as well.
Hoping to see the Nuggets make the playoffs at least.
This year every team only plays like ~50 games, right?

Closed Thread