HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

NHLPA Criticism of NFL System Lacks Merit

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2004, 02:19 PM
EricBowser

vCash: 500
NHLPA Criticism of NFL System Lacks Merit

Did Bob Goodenow, Executive Director of NHLPA, possibly upset the most successful American sports league and its players union by telling the media a few weeks ago, "I can tell you this, we have not spoken to any NFL players that endorse their system."

This hasn't been the first time, Goodenow or a member of the NHLPA have made some questionable remarks regarding the highly successful NFL system. In February 2004, John Glennon of "The Tennessean" quoted Dallas Stars winger Bill Guerin as saying, "I think the cap has worked in the NFL for the owners, but I think the NFL's CBA is laughable. (NFL players) have norights, nothing. That's why you see all of them signing their seven-year, $100 million contracts, because they know they're only getting $5 million of it."

Yet, NFLPA President and Buffalo Bills cornerback Troy Vincent told Sportsnet in Canada, "The cap has worked for us and we're in talks now for an extension." Who do you believe, the NFLPA President who is involved in the process and has a stake in it or members of a union who refuse to even understand the concepts of such an agreement.

In 1993, NFL owners agreed to a significant revenue-sharing plan that enabled them to ask for the successful salary cap system but in return, players were granted free agency. The NHLPA will say, non-guaranteed contracts are "laughable", make it harder for management to run the organization, and fans lose track of their favorite players.

Even though guaranteed contracts never happen, guaranteed dollars exist and the NFLPA's own numbers tell a positive and very different story about their success in this system, compared to the gloom and doom by the NHLPA.

Average Signing Bonus through 1992 - $125, 728
Average Signing Bonus since 1993 - $679,934
50% with $2 million signing bonus ended up with a 3 season "guaranteed" contract
95% with $2 million signing bonus have had two "guranteed" seasons
Since '93, average player with $2 million signing bonus is in his fifth season

The NFLPA released a stinging report in April 2002 regarding misconceptions in the media over the CBA and the player contracts, such a report the NHLPA might be wise to review.

In the report, NFLPA said "It’s important to emphasize that the Salary Cap does not create a hard limit. And even though the cap may be the CBA's most recognized component, behind the scenes, the current system is driven by four cornerstones:
* Prorating signing bonuses over the length of player contracts;
* The ability to renegotiate existing contracts;
* Free agency;
* And, the uncapped season at the end of the Collective Bargaining Agreement."

Also said, "Since signing bonuses are prorated, clubs are able to have actual salary expenditures much higher than a given Salary Cap limit; over the eight seasons the Cap has been in effect, actual per club salary expenditures have exceeded the cap limit by more than $1-billion--an average of nearly $5-million per club over the cap per season."

To the myth the players are cut because of their contract, league report states, "Bluntly put, no NFL player is released solely because of salary cap implications—unless the player himself has set the stage for being cut. Indeed, at the NFLPA’s January 2002 New Agents Seminar in Washington, two former highly-placed NFL front office officials agreed that they had never cut a player just because a salary cap number was too high; they also agreed that it’s certainly much more expedient to tell a player that he’s being released because of the cap instead of telling him that he’s not good enough a player anymore or that he just doesn’t “fit” into club plans for the coming season.

Now the NHLPA will argue, they already have a market system that allows for free agency, receive over 50% of revenues (reality is 76%), and player contracts are guaranteed with benefits.

NHLPA Player President, Trevor Linden wrote in the October 10th NY Times, " A player wants to have the ability to sit down and negotiate his value with his team. A player does not want to work under a contrived formula that artificially limits his value to a set percentage of what the league and its 30 clubs declare as their revenues."

The union and many players do not trust the financial figures reported in the Levitt Report or the confidential reports they must refrain on discussing and this trust was once again reiterated in Linden's letter as he wrote, " Over the past 10 years, the league has entered seven new markets in the United States. I doubt that Bettman, when selling new franchises for $80 million each, was telling the new owners that the industry was "bleeding to death" and that the league was "out of gas" as he now contends."

The philosophical gap over which economic system can work for the league and players will not begin to narrow until both sides can come to an agreement over the revenues generated by the league and its teams and this is the significant difference between the partnership of the NFL-NFLPA and the he-said, she-said comments by the NHL and NHLPA.

Old
10-11-2004, 07:06 PM
I.am.ca

Good read indeed.

Old
10-12-2004, 08:41 AM
Pavel

The NFL is the model every other sport could hope to follow. I can guarantee you Bill Guerin is glad the NHL has guaranteed contracts. He would be one of the first cuts if contracts magically became voidable. I am just tired of the NHLPA rhetoric. How many $100 million dollar contracts (McNabb, Manning) are in the NFL? The signing bonus on those deals are in the 15-20 million range. The NHLPA losses any credibility they have when they spout of things I know isn’t true.

Old
10-12-2004, 10:34 AM
The Old Master

It's all over. You have 90% of the N.H.L. players showing that they are willing to play for a lot less money by playing over in europ and the A.H.L. so tthe few that are left just have to wake up, or get out of the way.

Old
10-12-2004, 03:39 PM
I.am.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Master
It's all over. You have 90% of the N.H.L. players showing that they are willing to play for a lot less money by playing over in europ and the A.H.L. so tthe few that are left just have to wake up, or get out of the way.

Yeah exactly, there about 200+ players over in Europe from the NHL, does the NHLPA not see that the guys just want to play?

Its the stupid *** stars that are in the way, soo stupid.

Old
10-14-2004, 07:39 PM
Strakakis

NFL is one of the most successful business in the World.

Closed Thread