HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

New York Rangers at Montreal Canadiens|7:00pm et. at Bell Centre|15/01/12|

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2012, 12:37 PM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
I hope Gainey gets a nice long look at his biggest mistake and there were many!

How pathetic of a GM can you be when you look Glen Sather look like a genius in a trade!!
Sather usually looks damn good in trades. It has always been UFA signings that have killed him. He's great at making trades though.

Also, Dubinsky is probably out again for the third straight game. Fedotenko had back spasms last night and left the game. Kris Newbury has been recalled and most likely will be in the lineup with those two out.

Old
01-15-2012, 12:38 PM
HeShootsHeScores

Can't wait to see how Bourque plays with his new teammates.

go habs go

Old
01-15-2012, 12:42 PM
EmelinHipCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Ok, just scored two tickets to tonights game. Going with a guy that is a Giants fan and wants to watch the game. What place is decent and close to the Centre that we can grab a bite to eat and watch the game prior to the Habs game.
Cheeburger on Metcalfe. Create your own burger and milkshake. Ridiculously good. Tell them Adam sent you.

Old
01-15-2012, 12:44 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggo Mortensen View Post
Clearly the Habs are in tank mode, putting Budaj vs the #1 in the East!
If we play like we did last time in Montreal you guys can have my great grandmother in net and you'll win, probably get a shutout too.

Old
01-15-2012, 12:47 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
Can't wait to see how Bourque plays with his new teammates.

go habs go
Is he playing with Pleks and Gomez ?

Old
01-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

So they put Biron against the Leafs and leave us Lundqvist, Thanks Rangers!

Old
01-15-2012, 12:51 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Hey. I know all that .

What DID we get for these players ? All we have is Gomez + a 2nd pick (the Leafs one. I think that we gave away for the Wiz or Moore...that we let go away...

)
Agreed. The thing to figure out is why is that? I think it has a lot to do with players being built up when they are performing. Then when they inevitably slump the circus turns on them and they are run out of town at their lowest value. When all of those players were playing well they could have brought great returns. But when a player is doing well in Montreal - he is a god, why would he ever be dealt? I mean, Higgins was at one point probably as valuable as Pacioretty is right now and supposed to be our future captain.

I think the team's popularity shoots itself in the foot sometimes like no other team in the league. An example would be the year of the 11 FAs. It was that ridiculous "centennial year", there was no way they could have dealt players at the deadline... but imagine if that year had been this season? 13th place, well out of the playoff picture... those UFA's could have all easily been dealt and given all sorts of picks and young players to stock the cupboards.

I guess the Habs just need to figure out a better way to get returns on their young players. I like that Latendresse-Pouliot trade a lot and feel that Martin was the wrong coach (for, well, both of those players) but can't help but think a guy like Cunneyworth would've made good use of a big forward like Pouliot. He sure as hell would be a better use of a lineup spot than anyone else on the team's fourth line and could slide all the way up and down the lineup pretty easily.

The S-Kost trade was supposed to be a lateral move, but Dustin Boyd was awful. A similiar trade should have been made for Lapierre and Higgins. Struggling youngster for Struggling youngster. Oh well. The team has some good young players in place and some quality veterans. They lack a #1 Defenceman and a #1 forward. Markov is a wildcard for the first one but we'll have to wait and see if he's the answer. The other one could be another Russian by way of this summer's draft. We'll see..

Old
01-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
If we play like we did last time in Montreal you guys can have my great grandmother in net and you'll win, probably get a shutout too.
Don't worry, you don't need your A game to beat the Habs

Old
01-15-2012, 12:55 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Don't worry, you don't need your A game to beat the Habs
I know this will sound funny but you sure didn't look like a team that's out of the playoffs last game we played against you guys. You looked, dare I say, formidable.

Old
01-15-2012, 12:58 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
So they put Biron against the Leafs and leave us Lundqvist, Thanks Rangers!
they owe us for gomez

Old
01-15-2012, 01:00 PM
habtastic

umm, in the grand scheme of things he COST the flames the game (Cammy). Don't let the "it happened on HNIC" fool you. They just love a good narrative.

I don't care if Bourque doesn't score. Just show us you can help us win.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:05 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I know this will sound funny but you sure didn't look like a team that's out of the playoffs last game we played against you guys. You looked, dare I say, formidable.
We've lost a lot of 1 goal games and blown a ton of leads, if we had a half decent powerplay this year things might've looked a lot different.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMarky79 View Post
Im already on the Tankwagon...seriously would you rather us lose in the 1st round this year and get a garbage pick? or keep losing and get a very good top 5 pick?
Look at the standings. Their losses might not get them a top 5 pick. Losing in the first round would probably get them the #15 pick. Is that what you mean by garbage? They have Calgary's second rounder. I wouldn't worry too much.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
That's hillarious. Everyone of those players was hated here prior to being dealt. Now they're all pointed to as reasons why the Habs regime is awful. Most of them had no value whatsoever. Kostitsyn would never have panned out here and is hardly setting the world on fire in Nashville,Lapierre was traded twice. Grabovski is a talented player but wasn't better than Plekanec or Koivu and ended up getting us Lang who was our best player and exactly what this team needed (a big righthanded centre with two-way play). Latendresse has scrambled eggs (even though in my opinion Pouliot should still be here on the team), Higgins played for like, 4 teams before figuring his **** out again..

HF Boards prior to them all being dealt...

"McDonagh is regressing"
"Kostitsyn is a cancer"
"Lapierre has no hands and is a disgrace to the pride of the CH"
"Latendresse is a fat, slow, underachiever"
"Grabovski is a soft selfish one dimensional player"
"Higgins is a drunk who's play has done a 180"
McDonagh got so much flak when he got traded by people who don't have a ****ing clue what he looks like on the ice. What the **** does it matter? It's not like anyone can look at the Gomez deal and see even a glimmer of positive. We gave away the best parts of the deal and got garbage in return.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:19 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Boos should start 8 minutes in.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Look at the standings. Their losses might not get them a top 5 pick. Losing in the first round would probably get them the #15 pick. Is that what you mean by garbage? They have Calgary's second rounder. I wouldn't worry too much.
It's a 2013 pick.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Boos should start 8 minutes in.
Loungo = LOOOOOOOU

Bourque = BOOOOOOU

Old
01-15-2012, 01:24 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
McDonagh got so much flak when he got traded by people who don't have a ****ing clue what he looks like on the ice. What the **** does it matter? It's not like anyone can look at the Gomez deal and see even a glimmer of positive. We gave away the best parts of the deal and got garbage in return.
I put the blame on more than just Bob Gainey though. I don't think he was the best person to re-tool the team because I don't think a man who's lost his wife and his daughter should waste time tinkering around with soemthing as silly as a hockey team. Obviously the Habs should have forecasted Gomez's decline but I don't think anyone expected him to be this bad. A lot of the blame is on his shoulders, too, and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it.

Try this on for size. A few days before the Gomez deal is when BG was chasing Lecavalier and the deal was rumoured to have been approved by one of T-Bay's owners and declined by the other. They had a 49% and 51% ownership split or something, so the guy who declined the deal won. We could have lost Gorges, Plekanec, and probably our 1st rounder and ended up with Lecavalier big contract.

We don't know, maybe he would've been awesome here, or a flop like Gomer Pile. Hindsight man, makes it a lot easier. Gauthier's next move should be a trade of Mr. Hindsight for Mr. Crystal Ball.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Agreed. The thing to figure out is why is that? I think it has a lot to do with players being built up when they are performing. Then when they inevitably slump the circus turns on them and they are run out of town at their lowest value. When all of those players were playing well they could have brought great returns. But when a player is doing well in Montreal - he is a god, why would he ever be dealt? I mean, Higgins was at one point probably as valuable as Pacioretty is right now and supposed to be our future captain.

I think the team's popularity shoots itself in the foot sometimes like no other team in the league. An example would be the year of the 11 FAs. It was that ridiculous "centennial year", there was no way they could have dealt players at the deadline... but imagine if that year had been this season? 13th place, well out of the playoff picture... those UFA's could have all easily been dealt and given all sorts of picks and young players to stock the cupboards.

I guess the Habs just need to figure out a better way to get returns on their young players. I like that Latendresse-Pouliot trade a lot and feel that Martin was the wrong coach (for, well, both of those players) but can't help but think a guy like Cunneyworth would've made good use of a big forward like Pouliot. He sure as hell would be a better use of a lineup spot than anyone else on the team's fourth line and could slide all the way up and down the lineup pretty easily.

The S-Kost trade was supposed to be a lateral move, but Dustin Boyd was awful. A similiar trade should have been made for Lapierre and Higgins. Struggling youngster for Struggling youngster. Oh well. The team has some good young players in place and some quality veterans. They lack a #1 Defenceman and a #1 forward. Markov is a wildcard for the first one but we'll have to wait and see if he's the answer. The other one could be another Russian by way of this summer's draft. We'll see..
While I don't agree with all of your assesssments you have perspective and, dare I say it, stability, while certain other posters exaggerate royally. Controversial as it was, I approved of the Pouliot trade because at the time Latendresse had only 2 goals and 1 assist in 23 games and was sulking.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Bold prediction: Gomez will score at least 1 goal.

His last goal was against them so there's a slim chance...

Old
01-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
I put the blame on more than just Bob Gainey though. I don't think he was the best person to re-tool the team because I don't think a man who's lost his wife and his daughter should waste time tinkering around with soemthing as silly as a hockey team. Obviously the Habs should have forecasted Gomez's decline but I don't think anyone expected him to be this bad. A lot of the blame is on his shoulders, too, and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it.

Try this on for size. A few days before the Gomez deal is when BG was chasing Lecavalier and the deal was rumoured to have been approved by one of T-Bay's owners and declined by the other. They had a 49% and 51% ownership split or something, so the guy who declined the deal won. We could have lost Gorges, Plekanec, and probably our 1st rounder and ended up with Lecavalier big contract.

We don't know, maybe he would've been awesome here, or a flop like Gomer Pile. Hindsight man, makes it a lot easier. Gauthier's next move should be a trade of Mr. Hindsight for Mr. Crystal Ball.
There's a difference between hindsight and giving a blue chip prospect for an overpaid (at a massive cap hit) 2nd line center signed for 5 more years (who's now failing to meet that standard) and think you're making a decent deal.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:47 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
umm, in the grand scheme of things he COST the flames the game (Cammy). Don't let the "it happened on HNIC" fool you. They just love a good narrative.

I don't care if Bourque doesn't score. Just show us you can help us win.
he better score some- you didnt get him to be a 4th line checker-
i watched the flame game cammy didnt cost the game- flames aside from cammy couldnt score-

Old
01-15-2012, 01:48 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
There's a difference between hindsight and giving a blue chip prospect for an overpaid (at a massive cap hit) 2nd line center signed for 5 more years (who's now failing to meet that standard) and think you're making a decent deal.
Hey man I'm not trying to defend the trade. Everyone knows it sucked. But I'm interested in looking at it from another angle and trying to understand the thinking that went on from management at the time.

They decided they were going to go in a new direction. Koivu had his years and (though he had a weak supporting cast) him and Kovalev never brought it home. They had their shot in 07-08. So now it's three days before July 1st and they need a centre. Vinny's gone. Oops. Now we really need a centre. Well, there's Gomez. He's overpaid but he's proven. He's a good skater, responsible both ends of the ice, a Cup winner - the mold we're looking for in Montreal to play the kind of hockey Martin wants to play. And he can be a set up man for any of the snipers we hope to sign on July 1st. New York wants to move him, and we have the cash to bring him in.

The problem was giving up McDonagh. Higgins and 2nd or something should have been fine. Which tells us that maybe a) Gainey ****ed up b) the Habs had lost interest in developing him c) Sather was smart and asked for someone like Pacioretty or Subban, then Gainey panicked and realized he really, really, really needed a top line centre.. and countered with a prospect he had pegged a notch or two below the other guys or d) the perception of Gomez was much different amongst big budget GM's than it was amongst us internet junkies who daydream about magical cap space.

The trade looks worse when you consider they signed the brittle but now always healthy Marian Gaborik and we signed the durable but now always injured Brian Gionta and a guy who now plays for the Calgary Flames.

But the GM of the Habs is never as dumb as everyone says, come on. Instead of saying "this trade is dumb. that player sucks. etc" it's more interesting to sit down and play it out. New York won the trade, the Habs lost it, even though the Gomez era Habs were more successful than the Rangers... Anyways, now Gauthier has to clean up the mess and give it a new start. Lesson learned and we'll see where they go from here.

Last edited by The Doors: 01-15-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: EDIT: I am derailing this game thread. Oops. Go Habs.
Old
01-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Hey man I'm not trying to defend the trade. Everyone knows it sucked. But I'm interested in looking at it from another angle and trying to understand the thinking that went on from management at the time.

They decided they were going to go in a new direction. Koivu had his years and (though he had a weak supporting cast) him and Kovalev never brought it home. They had their shot in 07-08. So now it's three days before July 1st and they need a centre. Vinny's gone. Oops. Now we really need a centre. Well, there's Gomez. He's overpaid but he's proven. He's a good skater, responsible both ends of the ice, a Cup winner - the mold we're looking for in Montreal to play the kind of hockey Martin wants to play. And he can be a set up man for any of the snipers we hope to sign on July 1st. New York wants to move him, and we have the cash to bring him in.

The problem was giving up McDonagh. Higgins and 2nd or something should have been fine. Which tells us that maybe a) Gainey ****ed up b) the Habs had lost interest in developing him c) Sather was smart and asked for someone like Pacioretty or Subban, then Gainey panicked and realized he really, really, really needed a top line centre.. and countered with a prospect he had pegged a notch or two below the other guys or d) the perception of Gomez was much different amongst big budget GM's than it was amongst us internet junkies who daydream about magical cap space.

The trade looks worse when you consider they signed the brittle but now always healthy Marian Gaborik and we signed the durable but now always injured Brian Gionta and a guy who now plays for the Calgary Flames.

But the GM of the Habs is never as dumb as everyone says, come on. Instead of saying "this trade is dumb. that player sucks. etc" it's more interesting to sit down and play it out. New York won the trade, the Habs lost it, even though the Gomez era Habs were more successful than the Rangers... Anyways, now Gauthier has to clean up the mess and give it a new start. Lesson learned and we'll see where they go from here.
This is what we need more of. Looking at why what seems like an insane move today was made. In retrospect Gainey messed up big time, but there's no reason to call him and Gauthier idiots and other over the top statements.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

The reasoning is simple.

He has to choose between icing garbage for the centenial and trying to patch up something that can win a few games.

He took the latter, and we get to clean the fan and the walls now.

Closed Thread