HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is this a boring team?

Old
01-15-2012, 09:56 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Is this a boring team?

Saw this quote on TSN this morning.

"We were just chipping the pucks in and they're doing the same thing to us and it's like nothing's happening," said Leafs forward Clarke MacArthur. "You're just going out there, skating around. It's a tough style.

"You can see why they win a lot of games -- they just try to bore you out of the rink almost."

"That's a big part of our game," said Tortorella. "That's the way we have to play. We're not talented enough, we're not a good enough team if we don't play the way we're supposed to play. We define that as a team. We've developed an identity as a team."

So what do you guys think? It's true we don't have the most talented team in the league. It's true we play a grinding style game predicated on strong defense and elite goaltending. But are we a boring team? While I would love to see us score more frequently off the rush and via beautiful tic tac toe passing (like Rupp's from Stepan & Wolski last night) our guys have committed to the system and each other, and are getting the job done. Is it simply that teams take losing to this kind of opponent more harshly...or have we become the Devils of old?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=385114

Last edited by broadwayblue: 01-15-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Added link to article
broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:57 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Winning ain't boring.

01-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Winning ain't boring.
Precisely.

Its true this isnt the most talented team, although they're a lot more talented/deeper than previous iterations of the team over the years. This harkens me back to when Renney was fired/Tortorella was hired and many people were giddy about "safe is death" seemingly forgetting about the whole talent issue. Tortorella has changed his stripes over these 3 years, coaching to what the team is capable of, and he should be commended for that. He knows this team often isnt going to produce end to end rushes with a tic-tac-toe finish. A relentless/grinding style predicated on strong defense and an all-world goaltender. Thats it, and thats working.

The best part of MacArthur's quote is it reeks of desperation and frustration. And the best part of it all is the Rangers are winning with this style.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Tawnos

It's not the fact that the Rangers play a boring style that was the problem there for MacArthur. It's the fact that the Leafs don't have enough offensive talent to break through the Rangers combination of defensive scheme and defensive talent. And while the Rangers aren't the most offensively talented team in the league, they still have enough to break through other team's defensive schemes in almost every game.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:10 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Precisely.

Its true this isnt the most talented team, although they're a lot more talented/deeper than previous iterations of the team over the years. This harkens me back to when Renney was fired/Tortorella was hired and many people were giddy about "safe is death" seemingly forgetting about the whole talent issue. Tortorella has changed his stripes over these 3 years, coaching to what the team is capable of, and he should be commended for that. He knows this team often isnt going to produce end to end rushes with a tic-tac-toe finish. A relentless/grinding style predicated on strong defense and an all-world goaltender. Thats it, and thats working.

The best part of MacArthur's quote is it reeks of desperation and frustration. And the best part of it all is the Rangers are winning with this style.
They're not the most talented team. But they're one of the most rewarding to watch as a fan. We saw tons of talent do nothing for too long.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Sounds like sour grapes by a player who just lost, yet still thinks his team is better. It doesn't surprise me.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:14 AM
TomLaidlaw

It is a great sign when other players are saying things like this after playing you. It means you are frustrating them and imposing your style of play on them. If the Leafs wanted to play a different style why didn't they force us to play their style?

We forecheck other teams relentlessly. Our defense pinch to keep possession in the offensive zone. We close down on the puck as well as any team in the league. I can see how playing someone like that could be frustrating. The first goal we scored last night didn't look boring to me.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:17 AM
azrok22

When Joe Thornton talked **** about our team when we struggled to start the season, we ended up arguably the best team in the league.

Now that we're at the top of the standings and another team is talking ****, is G.O.A.T. in the cards?

In all seriousness, though:

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They're not the most talented team. But they're one of the most rewarding to watch as a fan. We saw tons of talent do nothing for too long.
Agree 100%. This team is disciplined, patient, and - most of all - relentless.

Those are things we didnt see AT ALL from the "Man, this would be one of the best team's of all-time 5-7 years ago" squads of yester-year.

Its why hockey and football are my 2 favorite sports to watch - often times a team can be greater than the sum of its parts.

I bashed Tortorella up until last season, but he deserves a lot of credit for getting the squad to this point.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:30 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
When I was watching the CBC feed of the game last night, all the commentators did during commercial breaks (other than talk about NFL playoff game scores) was complement the Rangers for how well they were playing and criticize the Leafs for playing poorly. No mention of anything being boring.

Someone got beat at home and is a sore loser now.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:38 AM
pld459666

So, this idiot says "we were chipping pucks in and they were doing the same to us" and because we were better at it, we bored them?

He's a Fart Smeller, I mean a smart feller

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:42 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
When Joe Thornton talked **** about our team when we struggled to start the season, we ended up arguably the best team in the league.

Now that we're at the top of the standings and another team is talking ****, is G.O.A.T. in the cards?

In all seriousness, though:

Not to defend Thornton but I think that comment was more about not really knowing the Rangers all that well.

He had assumed, just because the Rangers weren't all that physical that game, compared to the other teams on the trip, that they were "soft". And the Sharks had a nerve to lose to this non physical team.

Looking back I just chalk it up to typical West Coast team that doesn't see/know the Rangers(East Coast) all that much.

Still a stupid comment though.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:43 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
lol at TSN. What a dumb comment, let the haters hate.

LGR!!

01-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

if physical, lunchpail hockey where players leaving everything on the ice night in and night out is boring to you, you need to go watch a different sport.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
A. This team does not have the talent to win a ton of high scoring games.

B. This team has the grit and balance, along with goaltending to play dump and chase and win with 2-3 goals.

C. Being called boring is a good thing because it means you are winning. No 10-30-2 team ever got called boring by the opposition.

01-15-2012, 10:49 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

You notice it when other team's fans on these boards accuse us of "trapping" even when we're using an aggressive two man forecheck. Folks don't like that we're winning and they'll find any excuse to knock us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
if physical, lunchpail hockey where players leaving everything on the ice night in and night out is boring to you, you need to go watch a different sport.
Seriously. This team plays hockey the way it's meant to be played.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:51 AM
eco's bones

Basically what I gather MacArthur is saying is that we didn't allow Kessel and Lupul to dictate the pace of the game. We negated their two major offensive weapons. After those two Toronto's lineup is just a bunch of lumpen proletariat-like the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines on most teams.

It wasn't the most exciting game ever played but I wasn't really bored. Winning is a hell of a narcotic.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:52 AM
egelband

right or wrong? i don't know. but i do know that the rangers play a playoff style of hockey. they have great endurance and should be one of the teams better-prepared for the playoffs. playoff hockey is often pretty 'boring' to the casual observer. but it's where all's decided.

egelband is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Esq.

I'm a Flyers fan, and I agree that the Rangers play a "boring" style, but they sure do have some exciting players, such as Gaborik, Richards, Callahan, Dubinsky, and Lundqvist. Plus, it doesn't exactly suck being at the top of the conference.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:03 AM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Grid it out style vs. run and gun...you can see the difference.

Losing while trapping and playing possum is way more "boring" than working hard, grinding out a win. The Rangers don't have enough talent to be fancy, but it's never boring when your team dictates play and controls the puck.

If boring means that the other team has no o-zone time and can't get through the neutral zone then tuck me in and put me to sleep.

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:04 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Call the wahmbulence.

01-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Gatorade*

The Leafs thought the Rangers would be a cake walk because they won two previous (at least that is the impression I got on the Leaf board prior to the game). They failed to realize that they played the Rangers at their two worst points in the season.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:09 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I'm a Flyers fan, and I agree that the Rangers play a "boring" style, but they sure do have some exciting players, such as Gaborik, Richards, Callahan, Dubinsky, and Lundqvist. Plus, it doesn't exactly suck being at the top of the conference.
It's a matter of taste I suppose. We've had all star teams of floaters in the past. Now we have a hard working, much more physical, shot blocking home grown and younger team. It's not just about what's happening this year--we've been watching them grow, find their niches and get better. Having watched the all star teams--who on paper (talent alone) should have blown away the opposition--fail miserably year after year and instead made the team a joke around the league--it's not that hard to see why we're enthusiastic about this group which may not be the most talented but who are getting results.

Anyway Boston IMO is the class of the East and the Bruins are not on the face of it built all that differently from the Rangers.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:11 AM
NYRfan68

Leafs struggle against structure b/c they have none. We did a great job containing the counter attack, which I think is huge for the victory.

NYRfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:12 AM
NY Ranger86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
Please define "boring" hockey style........................

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote