HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is this a boring team?

Old
01-15-2012, 01:45 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 500
I don't know about Leafs fans, but I got pretty excited every time they turned the puck over to us. Same for when we hit them at every opportunity.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Pizza

LOL, whatever you say TSN. When we're winning the small town boys are going to find away to marginalize it.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:49 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

We are boring. We have hardly any skill players. Many goals from our team are a result of pure hard work and not pure skill. We are not consistent on the power play and sometimes it seems as if we have no players that know what a one-timer is because it's hardly ever attempted, let alone executed.

Then again, we win games. And if we keep winning games, we'll have a shot to win the Stanley Cup. Still a long way away. Playoffs aren't even set in stone yet. And winning is enough for me.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
We are boring. We have hardly any skill players. Many goals from our team are a result of pure hard work and not pure skill. We are not consistent on the power play and sometimes it seems as if we have no players that know what a one-timer is because it's hardly ever attempted, let alone executed.

Then again, we win games. And if we keep winning games, we'll have a shot to win the Stanley Cup. Still a long way away. Playoffs aren't even set in stone yet. And winning is enough for me.
Disagree. What about the great passing by wolski-rupp-stepan on the 3 on 1? Or Stepan beating the Leaf's D then faking out Gustavsson? 2 out of the 3 goals last night were skill plays.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:03 PM
wr50l

Some nights we are faster and sharper than others. When one of our top two lines is on full-form we are very dynamic. If we aren't playing our fastest we still work the puck impressively down low. Clarke Maconeyearwonder is just mad his team can't cycle.

And defensively, we are the opposite of boring. Aggressive forechecking and regular body checking. Many takeaways just like last night.

wr50l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Guys, picture-only posts are considered spam and against site rules.

A million and one variants of "haters gonna hate" is hardly productive discourse.

01-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Ail
k.

CHLOROPHYLL? MORE LIKE BOREOPHYLL!

Really though, it's not like this team wins every game 1 or 2-0, 1-1, 2-1.

It has some dynamic scoring players and lines, it just doesn't bring it night in and night out. The goaltending and defense this team has facilitates low scoring games for the other team pretty consistently. So if the Rangers aren't scoring, no one really is, it's going to seem dry a lot more than not, if you're the other team.

Some games will be a snooze fest, but that can happen anywhere.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

This just seems to me like another excuse why were better than everyone else. Noone likes us and noone ever liked us. But now it's not so simple as saying "haha you guys suck" so they look for other things, and just about every one of those other things is gonna sound stupid when the bottom line is 60 points and first in the league.

That being said, I expect the aforementioned banter from other fans, "haters gonna hate" if you will, but it's very immature coming from another player

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

if they think we're boring, they should try watching the blues

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:40 PM
3Four3

Isn't MacArthur not in good graces with the Leafs? That's what I got when I went into the Leafs' board.

From what I also read (I didn't watch the game or seen highlights...yet) but whenever their "potent" line went out on the ice, they were met by someone from the Rangers, which resulted in them playing scared. That, and they have a pathetic transition game.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

I wonder if Gustavsson was bored last night?

Seriosuly tho... As a fan this is easily the most exciting team we've had in a while.

Gabby and his wheels have provided some great breakaways...
The clutch goals by Richards... one of which was with 1/10th of a sec on the clock
Some of the great passing, and not just on goals but on breakouts, through the neutral zone, etc.
Hank standing on his head at times, culminating with his stop of a penalty shot with 19 secs to go in the 3rd period while leading by 1 in an outdoor game on national TV against a hated rival.

NOT.

BORING.

imho

Last edited by Riche16: 01-15-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Tumsh

The Rangers generate quite a bit of offense. Sure, it's not the pretty passing plays that the Sedin's do or something, but they do generate plenty of offense. They play a strong defensive game, so I can see why fans of other teams may find it boring if their team can't generate a lot of scoring.

Let's put it like this. The Ranger's generate enough offense, so that if the opponents could generate as much, it would be a "fun" game. Often, they can't, so they don't think it's very fun.

Another thing to point out is that the Ranger's are creating offense in a "constructive" way. I use the word constructive, in a way that means they generate their own offense, as opposed to trying to stifle the opponents into making mistakes and create offense for you. This is opposed to "destructive" which would be when you give up offensive pressure and fall back defensively (like the Flyers vs Lightning incident).

The Rangers put pucks into the offensive zone, chase it down, cycle, have their D pinch a lot, and more. I wouldn't say that's your prototypical boring team.

Now with all that said, they're not the Caps, Wings, or Canucks, who play a much more skill based game. But they're also not the Lightning or so.

Tumsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:56 PM
ThirdEye

Yay, another convenient excuse... blaming the other team for your loss. Especially something as lame as they were "boring". It's really just a clever way to disguise the fact that your team sucked and didn't put in the effort

Toronto got completely outplayed last night. Their top line sucked monkey balls. I guess it's our fault that they couldn't complete a pass in the offensive zone and kept falling down

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:04 PM
NikC

the rangers have a style that is within their abilities. I thought yesterday's game plenty exciting. I appreciate the grinding style they have and how it wears against the other teams resovle.

Lundqvist has stepped up his game, our defensive system as a whole seems to be on another level, and Staal is just getting into game form. It's not going to be much fun for others to play us with this great defense, and goaltending.

there's still room for improvement, which means they can only get better. I'm very proud of this team right now, and i look forward to watching them every night.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:13 PM
ThirdEye

Tortorella before the game tonight: "Apparently we've been called boring guys. Girardi, Mcdonagh, stop being so damn good. It's not fair to other teams. MDZ, you're only allowed to make bad stretch passes to the middle of the ice. We know you know how to do that, so get to it! Stralman, remember how much you sucked at one point? Let's try to work on regressing back to that, yah hear? And for you forwards, pretend there is quick sand instead of ice in the defensive zone. Alriiight, let's hit the ice!"

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:45 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

You know whats not boring? Being first in the East.

Especially when we dominate teams because we forecheck hard, which is the opposite of the trap.

Quote:
CHLOROPHYLL? MORE LIKE BOREOPHYLL!
You got "The Rangers are boring" man up there talking about god knows what, and all she can talk about is making out with me!

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:45 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Even if I can see some (little) truth to it, I don't think TSN should be writing articles calling us boring after a 3-0 shutout.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:52 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

It might also be boring because the Leafs system consists of "Run and Gun up the ice, let Kessel and Lupul overwhelm everybody with their speed." I guess Mac isn't used to seeing an actual system being utilized properly.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Well, we play a boring style of hockey. Sorry to say. If anyone watched the Det-Chi game yesterday you'd understand.

However, we are fundamentally stronger than either of those 2 teams.

Our goalie is a rock. Our defense is extremely solid. And our offense is better than in past years.

In addition, while we do not necessarily play an "exciting" style, we have had a lot of exciting games, with exciting finishes, and exciting results.

I like our team because it gives us positive results.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:31 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
This whole "your team is boring" is exactly what a vocal minority of bitter Rangers fans cried when the Devils were winning Cups and the Rangers were playing golf.

Like ThirdEye said, it's just an excuse. Doesn't make it right. MacArthur & Co. can't even figure out their own team, so you can't expect them to understand what the Rangers are doing.

He thinks facing last night's roster was tough with Biron and a Marc Staal who isn't quite up to speed with the rest of the league. Just wait until Staal is 100% and Lundqvist is in net.

Exciting is playing in the playoffs and the Rangers are doing an excellent job so far of ensuring that they get to do that in April.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Rangers are winning. Something must be wrong.

Really, really wrong.

Oh God please, no.

Not a Cup in NY! No! aaggghhhhh!

01-15-2012, 04:36 PM
satrabyk

Nothing wrong with a team that plays disciplined and "boring" esp when they have the lead. There are teams that play this way even when they are down go figure. To Leaf nation, if you dont want to be bored, dont go down 2-3 goals and expect to come back, play the 60 minutes.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:38 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
This whole "your team is boring" is exactly what a vocal minority of bitter Rangers fans cried when the Devils were winning Cups and the Rangers were playing golf.

Like ThirdEye said, it's just an excuse. Doesn't make it right. MacArthur & Co. can't even figure out their own team, so you can't expect them to understand what the Rangers are doing.

He thinks facing last night's roster was tough with Biron and a Marc Staal who isn't quite up to speed with the rest of the league. Just wait until Staal is 100% and Lundqvist is in net.

Exciting is playing in the playoffs and the Rangers are doing an excellent job so far of ensuring that they get to do that in April.
Wait what would Lundy have done differently than Biron. I mean the man played great and didnt allow a goal, just because Lundy is great does not mean some nights Biron can play better and did. But il agree on the Stall part, he should only improve.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:36 PM
CharlestownChiefsESC

who cares. when the team criticized the boring style of hockey it missed the playoffs 7 years in a row. if being boring means winning games, then ill take it

CharlestownChiefsESC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:11 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

to be fair, it's Clark MacArthur's comment, not TSN

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote