HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is this a boring team?

Old
01-15-2012, 07:25 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
to be fair, it's Clark MacArthur's comment, not TSN
True. Although any time TSN can find a way to slight the Rangers they will. I know their focus is on Canadian teams, but they are clearly biased.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:08 PM
nuxhead

Reminds me of the 06-07 nucks when they took the division while playing boring hockey.

nuxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:01 PM
stan the caddy

Yes, because we play sound hockey and limit odd man rushes and bad turnovers. We also suck on the power play.

stan the caddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:55 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I'm going to say yes, we are boring. And no, we're not.

My take:

Yes. We are a boring team. Maybe not 90s trap boring, but we play a very simple, very grinding game that doesn't result in a lot of BIG time opportunities and tries not to give up many either. The game is very far from being a run and gun, offensive bonanza, even on our most explosive nights.

But, as a NYR fan, it's not boring at all. The thing is, you have to know the team and be invested in the identity. I have no doubt that we're not the most exciting team to watch as a prime-time matchup on national television to a bunch of casual hockey fans/fans of other teams. But if you know each character on the team and each player's role and you know the way this team plays, than it becomes exciting to watch the way that the system works each night. Seeing this team stick to its guns, stick to its identity and stick to a plan night in and night out and watching that plan being executed and actually bare fruit... that IS exciting. For us. Dan Girardi is an all-star this year. He's not a Mike Green or a Kris Letang or a Erik Karlsson. Those are the guys that play exciting hockey. Dan Girardi is OUR version of an all-star. And that's ok. It sums up this team. We're not exciting if the only kind of hockey you can appreciate is beautiful, freewheeling, skillful puck distribution resulting in gorgeous, crisp setups and countless offensive opportunities. But if you're invested in the identity of this team and you understand how to appreciate ugly, hard fought, hard earned, heart and soul hockey than you'll easily be able to see that, when this team is on, there is a LOT of energy and a lot of enthusiasm and a lot to get excited about.

That's my 2 cents.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:17 PM
XLJ

He just sounds like a bitter player whose team just got dominated for the entire game.
I'm happy we dont play exciting Toronto Maple leafs type of hockey. When was the last time they made the playoffs?

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Mrpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Winning ain't boring.
You know Devil fans told me this all through the late 90's.
The style they played back then was some of the most boring hockey I ever had to watch and I dreaded the games the Rangers played them.

I guess I know how their fans felt now. Because it's not boring from our stand point, but I can see other fans being frustrated with watching it.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:01 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
uh, Rangers style has always been to play a suffocating style in the neutral zone when they can. The idea is to get the puck back as soon as they lose it and turn right back to offense...either create a rush off that turnover, or put it deep and forecheck again

Again, it's boring if you're the Leafs since they couldn't get anything going, but it was entertaining enough
funny how much offense people are taking in this thread to anything other than saying the ny rangers are the most exciting team ever and it's always exciting when you win. get a grip.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:00 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Sounds like a HATER!

LETS GO RANGERS!

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:17 PM
blue425

My response to MacArthur:

http://youtu.be/XGJTkMdS-EE?t=22s

blue425 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Saw this quote on TSN this morning.

"We were just chipping the pucks in and they're doing the same thing to us and it's like nothing's happening," said Leafs forward Clarke MacArthur. "You're just going out there, skating around. It's a tough style.

"You can see why they win a lot of games -- they just try to bore you out of the rink almost."

"That's a big part of our game," said Tortorella. "That's the way we have to play. We're not talented enough, we're not a good enough team if we don't play the way we're supposed to play. We define that as a team. We've developed an identity as a team."

So what do you guys think? It's true we don't have the most talented team in the league. It's true we play a grinding style game predicated on strong defense and elite goaltending. But are we a boring team? While I would love to see us score more frequently off the rush and via beautiful tic tac toe passing (like Rupp's from Stepan & Wolski last night) our guys have committed to the system and each other, and are getting the job done. Is it simply that teams take losing to this kind of opponent more harshly...or have we become the Devils of old?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=385114
The team isn't talented enough to play an exciting style but they are near the cap. Something isn't right about that or Torts is full of SHT. Why won't he inject the more talented MZA instead of the grinders when there is an injury? From what I read he says there is no space for a player like MZA yet this quote directly goes against that. Wolski is played on the 4th line and I would argue he is in the top 3 as far as talent level goes on the team. Torts is a friggin strange guy.....

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

<-------sig line.

Blue'sClues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
The team isn't talented enough to play an exciting style but they are near the cap. Something isn't right about that or Torts is full of SHT. Why won't he inject the more talented MZA instead of the grinders when there is an injury? From what I read he says there is no space for a player like MZA yet this quote directly goes against that. Wolski is played on the 4th line and I would argue he is in the top 3 as far as talent level goes on the team. Torts is a friggin strange guy.....
Wolski is a lazy turd. Torts is trolling

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpuck View Post
You know Devil fans told me this all through the late 90's.
The style they played back then was some of the most boring hockey I ever had to watch and I dreaded the games the Rangers played them.

I guess I know how their fans felt now. Because it's not boring from our stand point, but I can see other fans being frustrated with watching it.
The Rangers don't play in any way similar to the late 90s boring trapping Devils. The Rangers play a positive game. It's not really a possession game, but they absolutely dictate the play and force the puck up the ice. They are only "boring", because as others have already said, they don't have enough skill depth to create tons of high quality scoring chances.

The late 90s Devils (not the early 00s Devils), and more recently the Renney-led post Jagr-Nylander-Straka Rangers played a passive, sit back and wait for the other team to make a mistake style of game. This, to me, is boring. But realistically "boring" is a completely subjective term so it's pointless to even argue over it.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:18 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Winning ain't boring.
And again, I make the comparison to all of those Devils teams that bored the opponents to death.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote