HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin Brodeur (All News regarding his retirement/return and otherwise)

Old
01-17-2012, 10:31 PM
feerlessleadr

vCash: 500
maybe i missed this, but i'm surprised no one posted about it

Kevin Weekes thinks that Marty's decline is due to the fact that he refuses to adapt his game

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...8.html#more-id

feerlessleadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood163 View Post
I just worry that our murky goaltending future will make it hard to attract a stud UFA this offseason...Like Ryan Suter
Be more worried about our ownership situation doing that.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by feerlessleadr View Post
maybe i missed this, but i'm surprised no one posted about it

Kevin Weekes thinks that Marty's decline is due to the fact that he refuses to adapt his game

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...8.html#more-id
And he`s spot on IMO. Watching the Olympics and the last two years it could`ve been more apparent.

He has such a specific style he is simply not going to change, how could he? He changed his pads just to be able to keep his knees safe, but that`s probably the only adjustment he was willing to make. Can`t nor should blame him, really. Just let him sign a reasonable one year contract, use him wisely and call it a day. Then let the future HHOFer enjoy his sweet retirement and focus on the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Be more worried about our ownership situation doing that.
Take a look at the first page of the 2nd GDT. What was that I don`t even...

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

The Goaltending isn't that bad. Marty's not 10 games above 500, and doesn't have 3 shutouts already, so people think he's declined so bad.

Notice a lot of his wins lately [Buffalo, Pittsburgh twice, Winnipeg twice] he's only given up a goal in each of those.

Just 1 goal. I don't think he's declined. Only criticism I have is giving up goals like that only one in Winnipeg Saturday, and for giving up TWO of those goals in Calgary. Only one I wouldn't have thought it was so bad.

I personally thought Moose should start this game. Even Winnipeg went with Mason, and he just played last night, and Pavelec played good against us Saturday. If we're gonna rotate Goaltenders then why use the same one when the next game is against the same team as last? I said if he did good I won't complain, and he did so I can't complain.

Marty had a choppy record in 95 just remember that. The end of the season, and the playoffs he turned it up a lot. It was only, because Chris Terreri wasn't as reliable as Moose at that time, or maybe just the fact people don't remember the regular season that year that people don't talk about his negatives that year. Back then in that season you put in Brodeur the team had like a 50/50 chance early in the season. You put in Terreri that year the team had a 20/80 chance.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:46 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

I-I’m sorry. Kevin Weekes? Kevin Weekes? I like the guy, but who the hell is Kevin Weekes to say something like that? Weekes modified his stick into a microphone recently, and modified Slim Fit into a Gentleman’s Husky. Weekes even says something like ‘he refused to stray from his own principles and he demanded staying the course.’ The nerve of Marty, not strapping an extra 50 pounds of equipment on so he could be called the ‘King’ of New Jersey. Did Weekes ‘adapt’? How’s his career at the moment? Boy, Marty should go down on every shot so that he may one day join the immortal Kathryn Tappen or David Amber and sit behind a desk. What a fool.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
He's not wrong. We see plenty of goals that Marty would have stopped if he were a butterfly goalie. And in years past the argument was that Marty is able to stop other shots that butterfly goalies would get beat on. But now he doesn't stop those either, because his glove hand has declined.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:03 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Weekes played the position, saw Marty up close and has been an analyst since retiring. If anyone's qualified to make that judgement, I'd think it would be him.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Devils731

I wonder what adaptations Miller and Bryz should be making too.

Devils731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Lord Ned Stark*
it feels grapes

yea marty put on some pillows already

Lord Ned Stark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:43 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

oh yeah he saw brodeur all right…saw him from the bench, before his career fizzled out. so yes, please lecture the all time winningist goalie. please tell him to completely change his gear and style at the age of 39. yes, that makes tons of sense. tell you what weekes, get a head that doesn’t look like a car battery and we’ll talk. dumbass.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:53 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

LOL @ posters flipping out on Kevin Weekes for having a opinion. Who the **** is KW for having his own opinion, what a hack !!!

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
I wonder what adaptations Miller and Bryz should be making too.
Going to a therapist, it`s really that simple.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:57 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
oh yeah he saw brodeur all right…saw him from the bench, before his career fizzled out. so yes, please lecture the all time winningist goalie. please tell him to completely change his gear and style at the age of 39. yes, that makes tons of sense. tell you what weekes, get a head that doesn’t look like a car battery and we’ll talk. dumbass.
Okay....What did Weekes do to you that would make you so upset?

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:24 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

as I already said, I like Kevin Weekes. but show some ****ing respect. if he wants to criticize cristobal huet, that’s one thing. but to question brodeur’s style is ludicrous. it’s a turd telling a flower that he smells like ****. its bad form. who the **** are you? what exactly qualifies you to pass judgment? because you played hockey and had maybe 1-3 good seasons? he played next to marty, and this interview comes off as ‘let me get my name in the marty brodeur debate by saying something ridiculous. its absurd. and what goalie, or player for that matter, would change everything about his game after having the success he had? marty played his own way and did a damn fine job- god forbid he doesn’t submit to his backup goalie’s suggestions of changing everything.

I’d like to hear Darren Turncott telling Wayne Gretzky how he should’ve played. random example, but same rule applies- shut yer trap.

and DATW, weekes can have an opinion but god forbid I disagree with it? you of all people should know that saying ridiculous things warrants an equal rebuttal.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:26 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

You can disagree with Weekes all you want but to call him out and run his name in the mud because he has his own opinion is kind of childish IMO... but what do I know other then wanting to move Parise and add a PMD.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:33 AM
feerlessleadr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
You can disagree with Weekes all you want but to call him out and run his name in the mud because he has his own opinion is kind of childish IMO... but what do I know other then wanting to move Parise and add a PMD.

While Weekes is certainly entitled to his opinion, I think it is a bit tactless on his part to call out Marty for refusing to change his style when it has been so utterly successful for his entire career. Even after the lockout when the game sped up and athletic goalies were all but a thing of the past, Marty was always one of the best year in and year out, even though he refused to strap mattresses on his legs.

Weekes is entitled to his opinion, but I think the way he presented it, and the forum he chose to voice it, showed very little respect for one of the games all time greatest.

feerlessleadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
as I already said, I like Kevin Weekes. but show some ****ing respect. if he wants to criticize cristobal huet, that’s one thing. but to question brodeur’s style is ludicrous. it’s a turd telling a flower that he smells like ****. its bad form. who the **** are you? what exactly qualifies you to pass judgment? because you played hockey and had maybe 1-3 good seasons? he played next to marty, and this interview comes off as ‘let me get my name in the marty brodeur debate by saying something ridiculous. its absurd. and what goalie, or player for that matter, would change everything about his game after having the success he had? marty played his own way and did a damn fine job- god forbid he doesn’t submit to his backup goalie’s suggestions of changing everything.

I’d like to hear Darren Turncott telling Wayne Gretzky how he should’ve played. random example, but same rule applies- shut yer trap.

and DATW, weekes can have an opinion but god forbid I disagree with it? you of all people should know that saying ridiculous things warrants an equal rebuttal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Going to a therapist, it`s really that simple.
I`d suggest you to do the same.

Show some respect? What the **** are you talking about? This has nothing to do with respect. I guess Gretzky is the best coach ever and nobody can criticize him, just like some no name basketball player can`t criticize Shaq. Ya know, he won championships... who cares that he doesn`t know that 16/39 is less than 50%, he`s a legend!

Weekes not only can HAVE his opinion, he can express it as well. You don`t have to be an NHL goalie to see what mistakes Marty makes and to what extent would a different style help him make certain saves. At this point of his career, a change would be helpful, just like it helped Thomas (not trying to compare those two, just stating a fact he himself admitted). He`s not even saying Marty should change, that`s not going to happen anyway. There`s literally nothing wrong with what he said.

If there`s anything "wrong" on this page, it`s your two comments. Not kidding one bit. Jeebus.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
By that logic, nobody except maybe Roy and Hasek can criticise Marty. Roy's got his own stuff to deal with and nobody can understand what Hasek is saying anyway.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
By that logic, nobody except maybe Roy and Hasek can criticise Marty. Roy's got his own stuff to deal with and nobody can understand what Hasek is saying anyway.
I can, but I seriously can`t listen to him and not laugh at the same time. His typical Czech accent makes my ears bleed.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:51 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:

You want to move Parise????

BOO THIS MAN!

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:10 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
I`d suggest you to do the same.

Show some respect? What the **** are you talking about? This has nothing to do with respect. I guess Gretzky is the best coach ever and nobody can criticize him, just like some no name basketball player can`t criticize Shaq. Ya know, he won championships... who cares that he doesn`t know that 16/39 is less than 50%, he`s a legend!

Weekes not only can HAVE his opinion, he can express it as well. You don`t have to be an NHL goalie to see what mistakes Marty makes and to what extent would a different style help him make certain saves. At this point of his career, a change would be helpful, just like it helped Thomas (not trying to compare those two, just stating a fact he himself admitted). He`s not even saying Marty should change, that`s not going to happen anyway. There`s literally nothing wrong with what he said.

If there`s anything "wrong" on this page, it`s your two comments. Not kidding one bit. Jeebus.
first of all, try to refrain from the personal comments on me. the ones who go spouting off about therapists should usually heed their own advice.

‘marty’s refusal to change led to his downfall’ I think is a fair summary of Weekes’ comments. that’s not saying ‘marty has aged’ or ‘marty isn’t playing as well these days’ or ‘marty has been affected by the departures of some awesome defensemen’. all of those would be just fine. but the way it came off, to me, is ‘I tried to get marty to change, he refused, and now look where he is. he should be wearing Kevlar and going down on every shot. IN HIS LATE 30’S’. which, to me, is COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS. that’s my opinion, I could care less if you agree or disagree. I don’t even care about the subject that much, but people keep responding. at the end of the day, weekes can stuff himself into one of those flashy dress shirts and criticize marty all he wants. it’s a free country. but it came off (to me) as petty, hence my response. dealwithit.jpg

Old
01-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
first of all, try to refrain from the personal comments on me. the ones who go spouting off about therapists should usually heed their own advice.

‘marty’s refusal to change led to his downfall’ I think is a fair summary of Weekes’ comments. that’s not saying ‘marty has aged’ or ‘marty isn’t playing as well these days’ or ‘marty has been affected by the departures of some awesome defensemen’. all of those would be just fine. but the way it came off, to me, is ‘I tried to get marty to change, he refused, and now look where he is. he should be wearing Kevlar and going down on every shot. IN HIS LATE 30’S’. which, to me, is COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS. that’s my opinion, I could care less if you agree or disagree. I don’t even care about the subject that much, but people keep responding. at the end of the day, weekes can stuff himself into one of those flashy dress shirts and criticize marty all he wants. it’s a free country. but it came off (to me) as petty, hence my response. dealwithit.jpg
I was not the one reacting like a hysteric woman.

I agree that he said A but didn`t mention B and C. That said, it isn`t completely unfair. Just isn`t the whole truth. That happens a lot.

1) to me - hence my response. Fine, nothing wrong with that, although one could question your POV.
2) some contradictory statements when you look back at the previous comments and their tone.
3) if you didn`t care, you wouldn`t be saying what you`re saying.

Moving on.

Old
01-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
LOL @ posters flipping out on Kevin Weekes for having a opinion. Who the **** is KW for having his own opinion, what a hack !!!

lol @ you flipping out on people for having an opinion of kevin weekes' opinion

can't have it both ways man.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:22 AM
CerebralGenesis

There are several posters who respond quite comically to surprising topics. Not saying I troll or anything.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:31 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
lol @ you flipping out on people for having an opinion of kevin weekes' opinion

can't have it both ways man.
Flipping out, seriously?

All I said is that dragging Weekes name in the mud because he has a opinion is pretty weak. I didn't call MartyOwns a retard or anything of that nature so I don't get your point in all honesty.