Notices

What happens now?

Old
02-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
What happens now?

I am not following the Wild extremly closely but obviously saw their downfall. Is sweeping change on the hoizon, or is their hope with a couple new guys. What changes need to happen (if any) to create a playoff team of the wild?

Linden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1200
Draft smart. Build from within. Shed dead weight. Play hockey.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:08 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
It's unlikely that any changes are made to help the short term team, at least insofar as trades are concerned. The Wild's future is bright, but hope for this year is fading fast. Any trades to improve the team this season would cost significant future assets, and that's not a move that this team should pursue. Likely we'll see our remaining UFAs either extended or moved by the deadline. Otherwise this is a team waiting for next season.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

New coach so nothing there. Most of the big contracts will be here next year.

Fletch won't make any moves until the summer, but I could see 1-2 "shakeup" type moves. Doubt anything significant though.

Theoretically the prospects will start coming in next year and hopefully the team is better and will fight for a playoff spot in a couple years. Theoretically they should be young and talented enough to compete for several years.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Depth is the biggest problem right now...and most of the help we have in terms of prospects aren't even at Houston yet. Once they all move up a level we will be in much better shape if we have to deal with injuries like this again.

Dee Oh Cee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:35 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

I think at this point we're mostly going to ride out the season as is. Fletch if he can will unload some of our weaker/trash/tradable contracts ie: Zidz, Zanon, Harding, even Brodz. I get the impression Fletch is very unwilling to trade any of our assets we have been building up unless we are grossely overpaid for them, which I don't see happening.

We're almost into the completely Fletcher era, but are still bogged down by some of the stupid DR decisions. Two more years and we can start to breathe well again I think.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:40 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

if we draft even half as well as we did the last two seasons in the next two, the Wild will come out of this a perennial contender. That's where the focus is. Knee jerk, win-right-now trading won't be on the agenda unless it also serves another purpose (shedding players that don't fit). I don't see us making the playoffs and I don't know what Fletcher could do to acquire the pieces necessary to do that this year without stabbing our future in the brain with a cross-tip screwdriver.
Leave it alone.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

Seems like the Wild are only a few pieces away and there's no need to rush it. Drafting well and developing the youth. Thats also what i see in this team

Linden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:04 PM
651*

Don't know, but they sell out (or at least did, consistently) so they are making dollars, not to mention ticket prices went up a few years ago and they are still at almost full capacity night in and night out. If the Wolves start to make playoffs their situation is only going to get a little worse.

They didn't have a boatload of talent in '03 when they made their tremendous run, but they had arguably the best coach in the league at that time. The system wasn't built around scoring and never has been. I would like to see that change.

Keep this same lineup and add a guy like Burnsy and/or Parise and if half the team would stay healthy (unlike this year) and they could be pretty vicious.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:29 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Tank and draft well this draft. Our Top 6 is under contract for next year. Only Lats needs to be resigned.

Oh and the big one is to stop getting so ****ing injured. That's what killed our season. Get a much better defense, keep Brodin in Sweden for another year. Trade Zids, Zanon, and get some PMD OFD.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:31 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post
Tank and draft well this draft. Our Top 6 is under contract for next year. Only Lats needs to be resigned.

Oh and the big one is to stop getting so ****ing injured. That's what killed our season. Get a much better defense, keep Brodin in Sweden for another year. Trade Zids, Zanon, and get some PMD OFD.
Problem is that it's out of our control. I've seen people question the medical staff, but they can only do so much in regards to concussions. As long as guys are going to get away with cheap shots, guys are going to get taken out....especially those with prior, serious injuries (Butch, Lats.)

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:39 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Problem is that it's out of our control. I've seen people question the medical staff, but they can only do so much in regards to concussions. As long as guys are going to get away with cheap shots, guys are going to get taken out....especially those with prior, serious injuries (Butch, Lats.)
That is true though, we're just really snakebitten this year when it comes to that though and ALL of our injuries just happen to be in our top six. We don't have the depth to replace them and when you're missing lines, literally due to injury. Then the team can't win.

Maybe next year we won't be so hit hard on the injury front, I just don't want to miss this years draft on defenseman bonanza. We need a top pairing D and badly. Reinhart is whom I'm looking at right now.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:02 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post
That is true though, we're just really snakebitten this year when it comes to that though and ALL of our injuries just happen to be in our top six. We don't have the depth to replace them and when you're missing lines, literally due to injury. Then the team can't win.

Maybe next year we won't be so hit hard on the injury front, I just don't want to miss this years draft on defenseman bonanza. We need a top pairing D and badly. Reinhart is whom I'm looking at right now.
Reminds me of a certain baseball team last year from the other side of the river.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 03:57 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

Continue with the good drafting, take a stab at the best FAs, not some 3rd liners please. Take over the good youngins and start winning! I have faith in us and if we keep up the good drafting we've done we'll be up there in a few years.

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:19 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Our injury problems should be a little better next season. The biggest issue this year isn't just the injuries themselves (although specifically losing Lats and Butch hurt so much) but the lack of depth to cover them up. For the most part, our AHL forwards right now belong in the AHL, but we had a night recently where Houston skaters outnumbered the NHL skaters. That's tolerable if you have blossoming talent on your farm team, but all our forward prospects are in other leagues right now.

Next year, this is the list of players potentially joining Houston (some might make the big team):

Granlund
Bulmer
Larsson
Phillips
Coyle
Zucker
2012 1st (if non-NA forward)

That's a lot of extra depth for doing essentially nothing.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Am I cool now?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator