HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price contract discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2012, 11:58 AM
  #151
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,132
vCash: 500
I think at this time Fleury is a better comparison than Ward, and Fleury had just won a cup as well.

5/25 is what Fleury got, which is about right for Price. Fleury was a bit more inconsistent than Price at a his age, but good enough to win a cup.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:15 PM
  #152
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Demers View Post
The idea of a long term contract is to SAVE money on a per year basis while the player has a guaranteed long term income
Lol tell that to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:35 PM
  #153
Northern Heat
Registered User
 
Northern Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
This proposed cost for Price is scary.....His position in goal is a huge risk for the dollar amount. It wasn't long ago he was struggling. I like Price and would love to have him but that contract is a massive gamble that you can't turn back from if he starts to bomb.

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:42 PM
  #154
Le depisteur
Registered User
 
Le depisteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Québec
Posts: 3,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
I think at this time Fleury is a better comparison than Ward, and Fleury had just won a cup as well.

5/25 is what Fleury got, which is about right for Price. Fleury was a bit more inconsistent than Price at a his age, but good enough to win a cup.
Fleury signed a 7-year contract with a 5M$/year cap hit in 2008. Fleury is the best comparison for Price, IMO, but this contract was made 4 years ago, then we have to adjust the amount with inflation... 6M$ per year with the same contract lenght is an equivalent...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:00 PM
  #155
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
With Gorges, the Habs needed to negotiate during the season, to figure out whether to keep or trade him at the deadline.

With Price, I don't see the urgency to sign a long term deal before the new CBA is done. Why gamble when we don't know what the rules of the game (financially) are going to be, going forward?

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:02 PM
  #156
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Fleury signed a 7-year contract with a 5M$/year cap hit in 2008. Fleury is the best comparison for Price, IMO, but this contract was made 4 years ago, then we have to adjust the amount with inflation... 6M$ per year with the same contract lenght is an equivalent...
Problem is, Fleury had achieved more than Price at that age. The difference in output/aceivements should fairly compensate for the inflation.

I'm still leaning towards between 5 and 5,5 per on 5 years+.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:02 PM
  #157
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
With Gorges, the Habs needed to negotiate during the season, to figure out whether to keep or trade him at the deadline.

With Price, I don't see the urgency to sign a long term deal before the new CBA is done. Why gamble when we don't know what the rules of the game (financially) are going to be, going forward?
Entirely agree and it also shows how crappy that rumor was.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:06 PM
  #158
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,793
vCash: 500
10 year is just too long. It has nothing to do with Price. So many things can happen in a decade... Find another way to structure the contract.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:09 PM
  #159
thegreaterikku
Registered User
 
thegreaterikku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St-Ambroise
Country: Canada
Posts: 266
vCash: 500
Seriously... if Price rejected a 7 millions 7 year deal he just wants out.

I mean, he his Price, not the savior. He can't expect to have more than Rine and/or Fleury.

thegreaterikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:10 PM
  #160
Skrudland
Registered User
 
Skrudland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
You want 10 years? Fine, cap hit per year drops from $7 million to $5.5 million.

It sucks because the Habs need him and he knows it.
Those are exactly the numbers I was thinking.

Skrudland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:14 PM
  #161
Le depisteur
Registered User
 
Le depisteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Québec
Posts: 3,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Problem is, Fleury had achieved more than Price at that age. The difference in output/aceivements should fairly compensate for the inflation.

I'm still leaning towards between 5 and 5,5 per on 5 years+.
Fleury in 2008 had not achived more than Price in 2012. It's a very similar comparison. The Stanley Cup in Pittsburg arrived after that, in 2009...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:14 PM
  #162
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreaterikku View Post
Seriously... if Price rejected a 7 millions 7 year deal he just wants out.

I mean, he his Price, not the savior. He can't expect to have more than Rine and/or Fleury.
Or maybe his agent has just advised him to wait and see? If league revenues are up, and poor teams are going to push for the cap floor to go down, then the union will push for the cap ceiling to go way up. Or maybe the system will change entirely. Either way, I think it's reasonable for both sides to want to wait before committing.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:15 PM
  #163
Le depisteur
Registered User
 
Le depisteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Québec
Posts: 3,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreaterikku View Post
Seriously... if Price rejected a 7 millions 7 year deal he just wants out.
Price wants out because he wants 10 years???

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:19 PM
  #164
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,793
vCash: 500
I hear 10 years and it makes me cringe. What happens if he gets concussed?

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:23 PM
  #165
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I hear 10 years and it makes me cringe. What happens if he gets concussed?
What you hear is irrelevant. Would you react if Eklund claimed that Price was looking for a 15 year contract? No, you would not, because Eklund is as reliable as a crack fiend who gives HJs for his fix. This rumour comes from a gossip website that would kill to have a tenth of Eklunds credibility.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:45 PM
  #166
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Fleury in 2008 had not achived more than Price in 2012. It's a very similar comparison. The Stanley Cup in Pittsburg arrived after that, in 2009...
a 40 win season, and SCF appearance.

Yeah, he did acheive more when he signed that contract. I'm not saying it's a bad comparison, I'm saying Price hasn't acheived as much and that would be considered in the comparison, as much as inflation would.

An actual case to also be compared to, is his former teamate, Halak, who's closer in comparison, stats-wise and acheivment-wise, and they shared a similar set of circumstances (environment) with similar outputs. It would actually be a better comparison if ever the Habs only want to sign him for 3-4 years.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:48 PM
  #167
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
What you hear is irrelevant. Would you react if Eklund claimed that Price was looking for a 15 year contract? No, you would not, because Eklund is as reliable as a crack fiend who gives HJs for his fix. This rumour comes from a gossip website that would kill to have a tenth of Eklunds credibility.
With this, I hope the poster understands that 1/10 of nothing, is still nothing.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:10 PM
  #168
dutchy29
Registered User
 
dutchy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
As the only reliable star player, he holds the organization by the balls and knows this very well even if he is still RFA for 2 years. Reminds me when the Habs had to cave in to Theo after his miraculous year.
Yeah except Price hasn't had a miraculous year. anything longer than 5 years is dumb, anything more than 5million with bonuses is also dumb.
If he had been the one that stole two series two years ago and got us to the conference final, then yeah I think he would have a case, but he wasn't, hes a good strong goalie who is improving with age, but no guarantees.
Look at the Rick Diepetro dibackel, or look at almost any long term contract signing.
they seem to almost always fail.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:30 PM
  #169
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
I agree that the concept of a debunked rumor making people angry is unbelievable but do you honestly think he would sign for 10 years for 30-35 million when he will probably sign a 5 or 6 year deal and make similar money. Of course not answered below.


If you are going to eat up some UFA years you will have to pay more not less on the cap hit because he isnt an older player that you are tacking years on to lower the cap.
No I don't think he would agree to 10y at 30-35M, nor do I think management would ever offer him a 10y deal.

And yes, if he's going to eat up some UFA years, then that'll cost more, in salary.
I'm talking in terms of cap hit. I believe the term will be around 4-6years, with an amount rounding up between 25-30M.
I think his cap hit will hover around the 5M mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
You can't fathom 6 pages of discussion on our franchise goalie... yet I bet you'll post in here another 20 times still.
I have no problem with discussing a franchise goalie actually.
What I have a problem understanding are all the angry posts about this crap rumor.
So no, you definitely won't see me post 20 times commenting on this rumor. You might, however, find me discussing what I expect him to get.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:31 PM
  #170
Le depisteur
Registered User
 
Le depisteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Québec
Posts: 3,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
a 40 win season, and SCF appearance.

Yeah, he did acheive more when he signed that contract. I'm not saying it's a bad comparison, I'm saying Price hasn't acheived as much and that would be considered in the comparison, as much as inflation would.

An actual case to also be compared to, is his former teamate, Halak, who's closer in comparison, stats-wise and acheivment-wise, and they shared a similar set of circumstances (environment) with similar outputs. It would actually be a better comparison if ever the Habs only want to sign him for 3-4 years.
Price didn't get 38 wins last year with an average team? No Crosby, no Malkin here...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:37 PM
  #171
Rgolt
Registered User
 
Rgolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: montreal, qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,381
vCash: 500
Mods this is becoming ridiculous, the rumor has been denied by many credible sources, sources that are a lot more credible than this one!. So this thread should either be locked, or changed to "What type of contract does Price deserve"
Were on the 7th page and we still have people bashing Price for saying no to a 7x7 deal and asking for 10 years which is simply not the truth

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:51 PM
  #172
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,908
vCash: 500
Once again the cyber world piles on............

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:40 PM
  #173
haburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Heat View Post
This proposed cost for Price is scary.....His position in goal is a huge risk for the dollar amount. It wasn't long ago he was struggling. I like Price and would love to have him but that contract is a massive gamble that you can't turn back from if he starts to bomb.
bomb like luongo,miller,lundquist,kipper etc. ?? goalies are not immune to having bad seasons.sum have alot of them.doesnt mean they re not elite tho.what ever price gets is fine by me cause he s got the goods to be a legit number 1 for many many years,and that aint easy to find.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:45 PM
  #174
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I can't see this being true. 7 mil? Okay. 7 mil at a 10 year? There's no way he's demanding this.
7mill a year is most certainly not ok, not for any amount of years.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:04 PM
  #175
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,237
vCash: 500
nm....rumor

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.