HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Magnus Arvedson retires

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2004, 07:53 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Magnus Arvedson retires

http://www.eliteprospects.com/news.php?news=1079

When he was healthy, he was a very solid player. Too bad he couldn't stay healthy. Best of luck to Magnus.

Old
10-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Skrymir

I wish him the best, always liked him as a player...

Old
10-11-2004, 09:06 PM
littleHossa

I liked him too, best of luck in his future endeavors.

Old
10-11-2004, 11:31 PM
hardcore_fan

He was always one of my faves for his work ethic.I really wish we could have seen him without the injury from running into the open door in Philly.He was becoming an absolute defensive force before that.That was no small injury either, it was more like something you experience in a car accident. I was thinking he was done after I saw that.

Old
10-12-2004, 08:12 AM
discostu

Wow,

It's a real shame. Without the major injury, he would have been able to play in the NHL for a long time. Being a Selke nominee was indicative of the defensive ability he brought to the game. Add the ability to score 20 goals in a year (maybe more if he had the chance), and it's amazing what a rare commodity he was. He gave us a legitimate presence on the LW along with McEachern, and when matched with Bonk and Hossa, helped raised their play by helping to create a great two-way line.

It's amazing that many people labelled him as injury prone, when the fact he came back from that freak injury is a testament to his physical conditionning. He obviously wasn't able to fully recover, but how many people would have?

When we lost him as a UFA, you knew it was the right move, because he wasn't the player he used to be, but I really wish we had a similar player like that in the line-up now. We're notoriously weak on the LW, and we could use a guy with that much speed. He was able to play on any line and be able to contibute.

Best of luck in retirement Magnus

Old
10-12-2004, 09:14 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
IMO, Schaefer has done a nice job to fill that spot. The only difference is, he actually hits

It's a shame he had to retire at his age, though.

Old
10-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Bileur

All I know is that Arvedson was a way bigger loss in Ottawa than I thought he'd be. He's just one of those guys who does things quietly but effectively. Great on the PK. We really missed him for that the first season he was gone. Useful player to have on your roster IMO.

Good luck Magnus.

Old
10-12-2004, 10:37 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
IMO, Schaefer has done a nice job to fill that spot. The only difference is, he actually hits

It's a shame he had to retire at his age, though.
Don't get me wrong, I love Schaeffer, and he does bring those other qualities that we need (the boardwork, and the grittiness), but he doesn't have the same defensive awareness that Arvie had (few do) and he doesn't have the speed. Also, while I think Schaefer will crack the 20 goal mark, he'll never exceed it by much. I think if Arvedson stayed healthy, he would have hit 25 goals, maybe more. That can mean the difference in terms of staying on a top line, IMO.

Old
10-12-2004, 11:09 AM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Even though he has been gone for a year, I still felt after the injury he brought little to the team. I always felt he was one of those players that consistently did nothing in the playoffs. I know his role wasn't to necessarily score goals, but in the playoffs, he was utterly useless, completely disappearing off the map. The moment he wasn't re-signed by Ottawa, I was jumping with joy. Frankly, Vermette was more of a usefull player then Arvedson and it was just bad luck that Varada missed the majority of the year.

Old
10-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead
Even though he has been gone for a year, I still felt after the injury he brought little to the team. I always felt he was one of those players that consistently did nothing in the playoffs. I know his role wasn't to necessarily score goals, but in the playoffs, he was utterly useless, completely disappearing off the map. The moment he wasn't re-signed by Ottawa, I was jumping with joy. Frankly, Vermette was more of a usefull player then Arvedson and it was just bad luck that Varada missed the majority of the year.
Fisher too.

Old
10-12-2004, 12:03 PM
hardcore_fan

One of the big differences I noticed with him gone this year was our inability to hold a lead late in a game.This team used to be money in the bank the last few years with a one or two goal lead going into the 3rd.Arvie seemed to have a calming influence when he was out late in the game or after we scored.

Old
10-12-2004, 12:08 PM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore_fan
One of the big differences I noticed with him gone this year was our inability to hold a lead late in a game.This team used to be money in the bank the last few years with a one or two goal lead going into the 3rd.Arvie seemed to have a calming influence when he was out late in the game or after we scored.
Actually, I would venture to say that was goaltending.

Old
10-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Actually, I would venture to say that was goaltending.
In theory a calming influence can also calm the goalie.

Lalime sucked when he got too frazzled/nervous

Old
10-12-2004, 12:17 PM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
In theory a calming influence can also calm the goalie.

Lalime sucked when he got too frazzled/nervous
Well, in practice I saw a goalie who gave up many weak late goals because he couldn't stop a beachball last year. To argue that we lost alot of games late because Magnus Arvedson wasn't on the ice is foolish IMO. Bad goaltending and failure to win face-offs had nothing to do with Magnus Arvedson. IMO, last year was our worst season for face-offs, whether the statistics agree with what I say or not.

Old
10-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Well, in practice I saw a goalie who gave up many weak late goals because he couldn't stop a beachball last year. To argue that we lost alot of games late because Magnus Arvedson wasn't on the ice is foolish IMO. Bad goaltending and failure to win face-offs had nothing to do with Magnus Arvedson. IMO, last year was our worst season for face-offs, whether the statistics agree with what I say or not.
No I definetely agree with this part. (at least from memory)

Old
10-12-2004, 01:55 PM
HF2002

When Arvedson was healthy before "the injury" the two best players on Ottawa were Yashin and Arvedson. Arvedson was the engine of that team.

Old
10-12-2004, 04:34 PM
HfxMoose

Damn shame Best of luck Magnus.

Old
10-13-2004, 11:25 PM
hardcore_fan

Quote:
Bad goaltending and failure to win face-offs had nothing to do with Magnus Arvedson. IMO, last year was our worst season for face-offs, whether the statistics agree with what I say or not.
The bad goaltending I'll agree with.As far as face-offs go, we've always sucked at them.The difference before was before when we lost them, we had guys go in and recover them along the boards preventing those pucks coming out front where Patty had to deal with them,Last year we didn't do that nearly as well as past years.I'm not saying it's only because of Magnus. I just think it's strange that these things we were weak at were his strong points.

Closed Thread