HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

trade our UFA's, get top prospects back

Old
01-15-2012, 09:12 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I didn't know we had players named Gardiener, Cobourn and Franzen.
Maybe those are the prospects he wants to target?

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:13 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

[QUOTE=Drew311;42551557]You do realize that Liles is 31, Grabovski is 28 and MacArthur is 26. These are players in their primes and will be for the next 5 years. Why sell off two perfectly good 2nd line forwards and a great puck moving/PP defenseman for a bunch of futures that may not even turn out to be NHLers? Even giving guys like Aulie and Colborne more of a shot because they are young and "need playing time" doesn't make sense. Liles is much more important to this team RIGHT NOW than Aulie will ever be, and Grabovski is the player RIGHT NOW that we hope Colborne will turn into. It's not like our UFA's are 35 years old and over the hill. Selling off good players that will help the Leafs in the near future completely contradicts what Burke is trying to accomplish with this team.[/QUOTE

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:18 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
As long as Liles remains out with a concussion, he isn't going anywhere.
he will be back by the end of the week

Old
01-15-2012, 09:34 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
trade grabo to st louis for terasenko, blues are a contender, thats trades burke has to make.
liles, mac for couturier
youth that will compete for years then add UFAS like grabo in the summer. they young top talent and sign UFAs
Blues are a contender eh?
Thanks for coming out.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:38 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Thanks for coming out.
58 points 1 point behind nucks, +21
great coach, add a player or two
alot better then the leafs, they can afford to trade a prospect

Old
01-15-2012, 09:42 PM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

uh oh, Cup67's back

GoHardSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for coming out.
What constitutes a contender ?

Blues are currently 4th overall in the NHL standings, 2 points out of 1st overall.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 5064
Quote:
trade grabo to st louis for terasenko, blues are a contender, thats trades burke has to make.
liles, mac for couturier
youth that will compete for years then add UFAS like grabo in the summer. they young top talent and sign UFAs
This makes no sense... First off the trades aren't very realistic, but whatever.
What really makes no sense is trading away Grabovski then signing him again in the summer, people were saying the same thing for Kaberle, but Burke has insisted he does not do that (Trade a player with an expiring contract then re-sign them at the end of the year).

Personally, I'm not sure if I want to keep Grabovski or Liles, if we can get some cap space by trading Lombardi and Armstrong (6.5m) or Komisarek, then I'd want to sign Grabo and Liles each for 2 more years (by then I suspect Gardiner and Colbourne or Kadri to be ready to take their roles and possibly be cheaper upgrades).

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:45 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMarleauLeafs View Post
uh oh, Cup67's back
hey how are you, so what do you think

Old
01-15-2012, 09:47 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
This makes no sense... First off the trades aren't very realistic, but whatever.
What really makes no sense is trading away Grabovski then signing him again in the summer, people were saying the same thing for Kaberle, but Burke has insisted he does not do that (Trade a player with an expiring contract then re-sign them at the end of the year).

Personally, I'm not sure if I want to keep Grabovski or Liles, if we can get some cap space by trading Lombardi and Armstrong (6.5m) or Komisarek, then I'd want to sign Grabo and Liles each for 2 more years (by then I suspect Gardiner and Colbourne or Kadri to be ready to take their roles and possibly be cheaper upgrades).
I agree with this somewhat, however if we are in the race in Feb, no way Komi or Army go. I could see Lambo going if the right deal comes along. I still think it will be Luke gone by the deadline, and I think it will be either Anaheim or Columbus

Old
01-15-2012, 09:47 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:

so what do you think we can get for grabo, liles, mac,

Old
01-15-2012, 09:49 PM
contour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I didn't know we had players named Gardiener, Cobourn and Franzen.
One turned German, one turned Swedish, and one is trying too hard to be Canadian with the extra 'u'.

contour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:50 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
I agree with this somewhat, however if we are in the race in Feb, no way Komi or Army go. I could see Lambo going if the right deal comes along. I still think it will be Luke gone by the deadline, and I think it will be either Anaheim or Columbus
you think ottawa, new jersey,florida trade away there youth to make the playoffs, like a schenn, kadri, colbourn, 1st rounder?

Old
01-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Philkessel

This thread makes me smile since the leafs will never do a tank rebuild as long an burke is here. Burke is going to be a buyer at the deadline.

Philkessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:55 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkessel View Post
This thread makes me smile since the leafs will never do a tank rebuild as long an burke is here. Burke is going to be a buyer at the deadline.
yes a buyer, but youth, like he has been doing, then add some expierenced UFAs in the summer.
he has been doing this for 3 years now

Old
01-15-2012, 10:00 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

I would be ok for this idea IF our ufa's were old. Ours are not.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:01 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

sure they are. Theyre over 19!!

Old
01-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

Quote:
so what do you think we can get for grabo, liles, mac,
Well first off anything can happen, but realistically... I'm pretty sure that Philly said they were looking for a physical stay-at-home Dman to replace Pronger's role, (obviously not as good, but play a similar physical game) hence all the Schenn rumours. With that in mind, why would Philly trade their top prospect for a D-man, albeit good, that doesn't fit their need and will be a UFA at the end of the year.

As for the grabo trade, I do not watch St. Louis very often and while I have heard of the prospect, don't know enough about him. I was just more surprised by the fact that you thought Burke would re-sign him in the off-season, St. Louis doesn't look to be pushing for the cup and while a good team, why would they trade a prospect for a player without an agreed extension when they don't look like they will be pushing for a cup.

I don't like making trades so I'll leave it at that. While the package for Couturier is a decent one, it doesn't fit the needs and I'm pretty sure Philly's GM wants to keep him. As for the Grabo one, I can't comment due to not seeing the St. Louis prospect, but i was more pointing out the obvious logic flaw of Grabo getting traded and re-signed...

Old
01-15-2012, 10:03 PM
RPeeters

So basically we trade Liles and grabovski hoping that the return prospects coming back become an integral part of the organization. Wait, what? Why trade players in their prime for prospects we one day hope become them?

RPeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

Quote:
Agreed, I see Komi (and possibly Army) going in the summer though, unless he picks up his play considerably... He's been good, but we have a lot of defenceman pushing for spots and it would be nice to make our Defence cheaper.

I don't agree with the Luke thing though, unless the deal is an overpayment, Burke isn't the type of GM to sign a player to a 5 year deal then trade him right away. Considering Burke said his longest deals are 5 years, it shows he has a lot of faith in the kid... something I'm glad to see, especially since Schenn is going to be awesome, just wait and see

Deadline trades (or weeks prior I guess) I could see Mac going... I wanted him gone last year, but I think Burke thought it would take Kadri a while to crack the top 6... Mac seems like a stop-gap that is being outplayed by Kadri.

Edit: missed a point... and clarification

Old
01-15-2012, 10:08 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
I would be ok for this idea IF our ufa's were old. Ours are not.
ok keep our ufas pay grabo 4 mil, liles 4 mil, get rid of youth for 4 to 5 mil players, do we have room for that?
but if you trade them for 20,21 22 year old players then go out and replace them in the off season, suter , parise, etc. we have gained more then by keeping them.

Old
01-15-2012, 10:15 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Well first off anything can happen, but realistically... I'm pretty sure that Philly said they were looking for a physical stay-at-home Dman to replace Pronger's role, (obviously not as good, but play a similar physical game) hence all the Schenn rumours. With that in mind, why would Philly trade their top prospect for a D-man, albeit good, that doesn't fit their need and will be a UFA at the end of the year.

As for the grabo trade, I do not watch St. Louis very often and while I have heard of the prospect, don't know enough about him. I was just more surprised by the fact that you thought Burke would re-sign him in the off-season, St. Louis doesn't look to be pushing for the cup and while a good team, why would they trade a prospect for a player without an agreed extension when they don't look like they will be pushing for a cup.

I don't like making trades so I'll leave it at that. While the package for Couturier is a decent one, it doesn't fit the needs and I'm pretty sure Philly's GM wants to keep him. As for the Grabo one, I can't comment due to not seeing the St. Louis prospect, but i was more pointing out the obvious logic flaw of Grabo getting traded and re-signed...
did we know colbourn, or gardiener. teams that think they have a shot will trade or it really comes down to money, go as far as they can go in the playoffs. those were to ex. burke and his scouts are loking at top prospects to get from teams that are 21 or 22

Old
01-15-2012, 10:16 PM
leafsrule123

This seems like a waste of space, you post an idea, then people disagree and you are right back in a flash to bring up garbarge proposals. Philly is not trading Couturier, they are in love with the kid. And try to google the names of the players you are proposing because you are spelling all there names wrong.

Your colbourn is spelt Colborne
Your gardiener is spelt Gardiner
Your Frazon is spelt Franson

Just helping you out

leafsrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

Quote:
ok keep our ufas pay grabo 4 mil, liles 4 mil, get rid of youth for 4 to 5 mil players, do we have room for that?
but if you trade them for 20,21 22 year old players then go out and replace them in the off season, suter , parise, etc. we have gained more then by keeping them.
Because it's so easy to sign Suter, Parise, etc. to reasonable contracts that won't hurt us. Grabovski is 27 (almost 28) years old... That's not very old, if you get a good return for him... Sure it's worth the trade, but to suggest trading him for a 22 year old just because they are younger... doesn't make much sense.

It's better to have some veteran players on the team, sure we say let the kid's play and learn from the mistakes, but if they are all kids playing... who's there to teach them the ropes? To help them improve? IMO, a veteran or two would help the team... while Komi has been awful on the ice, the one thing he did provide was leadership. Why trade our player that 95% of fans believe shows the best on-ice work ethic along with the most heart? Again, if its a steal you do it, but I'm just saying, Grabovski show's a lot of great characteristics that would really help if they rubbed off on the younger players.

Old
01-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

Quote:
did we know colbourn, or gardiener. teams that think they have a shot will trade or it really comes down to money, go as far as they can go in the playoffs. those were to ex. burke and his scouts are loking at top prospects to get from teams that are 21 or 22
While it took me a while to understand what you were saying, not to be mean but your grammer is horrible. I know it's an online forum, and I don't care about run-on sentences or miss-spelling, but at least somewhat organize your setences please...

Anyways:
Boston was looking for a PMD, Kaberle made sense. Also, Colbourne was playing horrible in the AHL at the time.
Anaheim was looking to remove salary and had prospects like Fowler higher on the depth chart then Gardiner.
And If you want to include Franson, he was just used as the incentive to make Burke take Lombardi's salary.

What I'm saying is that your trades do not include salary dumps or what the other team needs.

Last edited by Community: 01-15-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: adding to my thoughts