HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

trade our UFA's, get top prospects back

Old
01-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Sam Slick*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogeymane View Post
If we can turn Grabo into Getzlaf and resign Liles I'd be a happy panda.
...you're a panda?!

Phew.....thought I was the only one.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:38 PM
leafnationdisease

I can see the pros and cons for both sides. I don't think we are good enough yet to do any damage in the playoffs (we may not even get in) however, as the guy with the scary Av of Sam Jackson wrote; we need to get the experience. (sorry, forgot your name )

Seems to me that BB will make any deal if it fits with making the team better. He wants in this year and will focus on that goal. I do believe a trade is coming and this will have an impact on who we can sign at seasons' end.

It's too bad we have some ugly dead-weight contracts that may harm our ability to sign all the guys we want (or have by then). Just a personal opin., but Komo, Lombardi and even Colby contracts are eating too much cap space for the return they give and it seems we are stuck with them unless.......BB works some voodoo mojo.....

leafnationdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:41 PM
DionPhaneuf3

lol...i don't see the point in this..when we finally have players that are ready to have a team built around them...we trade them away for younger players and picks? this makes no sense.

Why not re-sign them, acquire new players through FA and make some trades..rather than getting rid of them for assets that are gonna take 4-5 years to be developed.

I personally think this is a really dumb idea, don't understand why anyone would do this. Were pretty close to having a real contending team, moving away players just because they're going be to UFA's is a bad idea.

If we keep trading away players because they're UFA's its just an endless cycle of starting a rebuild, get half way through and then restarting the rebuild.

DionPhaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:44 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsrule123 View Post
This seems like a waste of space, you post an idea, then people disagree and you are right back in a flash to bring up garbarge proposals. Philly is not trading Couturier, they are in love with the kid. And try to google the names of the players you are proposing because you are spelling all there names wrong.

Your colbourn is spelt Colborne
Your gardiener is spelt Gardiner
Your Frazon is spelt Franson

Just helping you out
why then will we trade top prospects, kadri,schenn,gunnerson,colbourn etc just to make the playoffs , but philly wont when they have a chance to win the playoffs.
schenn might go but only for couturier, philly will do it + maybe grabo for a shot at a cup. its money philly want playoff money.

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsrule123 View Post
This seems like a waste of space, you post an idea, then people disagree and you are right back in a flash to bring up garbarge proposals. Philly is not trading Couturier, they are in love with the kid. And try to google the names of the players you are proposing because you are spelling all there names wrong.

Your colbourn is spelt Colborne
Your gardiener is spelt Gardiner
Your Frazon is spelt Franson

Just helping you out
Your "spelt" is actually spelled "spelled". Spelt is past tense and you are making a correction in the present tense.

Both are generally accepted, and "spelled" is more commonly used in the USA. But, when used in a sentence, you must use it correctly, which you did not.

Just helping you out.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:48 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
lol...i don't see the point in this..when we finally have players that are ready to have a team built around them...we trade them away for younger players and picks? this makes no sense.

Why not re-sign them, acquire new players through FA and make some trades..rather than getting rid of them for assets that are gonna take 4-5 years to be developed.

I personally think this is a really dumb idea, don't understand why anyone would do this. Were pretty close to having a real contending team, moving away players just because they're going be to UFA's is a bad idea.

If we keep trading away players because they're UFA's its just an endless cycle of starting a rebuild, get half way through and then restarting the rebuild.
i never said players 4 or 5 years away, players at kadris or gardieners stage

Old
01-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Ah, the forever rebuild method. Where the future is always priority #1, even at the expense of the present.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Ruki

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
why then will we trade top prospects, kadri,schenn,gunnerson,colbourn etc just to make the playoffs , but philly wont when they have a chance to win the playoffs.
schenn might go but only for couturier, philly will do it + maybe grabo for a shot at a cup. its money philly want playoff money.
We are? News to me. Thanks for letting me know the future!

But seriously...when has Burke ever traded off our younger players to acquire vets for a playoff push? Why do you think this will happen? He isn't a dumb man, he's not going to sacrifice youth just to make the playoffs. If he does it, it's because he believes we can go all the way, which really, we're not at that point yet.

Ruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
trade grabo to st louis for terasenko, blues are a contender, thats trades burke has to make.
liles, mac for couturier
youth that will compete for years then add UFAS like grabo in the summer. they young top talent and sign UFAs
lol St Louis and Phili will laugh in your face if you send them those offers

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:57 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
lol St Louis and Phili will laugh in your face if you send them those offers
that was just an offer, you know start low, see what it takes, let them think what there team would look like how much better, you know, you know its just practise man

Old
01-15-2012, 09:59 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruki View Post
We are? News to me. Thanks for letting me know the future!

But seriously...when has Burke ever traded off our younger players to acquire vets for a playoff push? Why do you think this will happen? He isn't a dumb man, he's not going to sacrifice youth just to make the playoffs. If he does it, it's because he believes we can go all the way, which really, we're not at that point yet.
exactly what i'm saying , keep our top prospects, but if you trade one you better get a better one back, burke saying

Old
01-15-2012, 10:02 PM
leafsrule123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
Your "spelt" is actually spelled "spelled". Spelt is past tense and you are making a correction in the present tense.

Both are generally accepted, and "spelled" is more commonly used in the USA. But, when used in a sentence, you must use it correctly, which you did not.

Just helping you out.
I was waiting for someone to fine tooth comb my sentence to find a mistake. You were the sad one too do it, congrats

leafsrule123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:03 PM
TMLKesselftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
exactly what i'm saying , keep our top prospects, but if you trade one you better get a better one back, burke saying
Do you really think Burke is going to trade a prospect for a worse one? Or that if he does trade a prospect it won't be for a better player that is still very young?

TMLKesselftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Briecheeze

OP's proposal isn't quite as outlandish as others are thinking.

If this was NHL 12, I'd agree with it. From an efficiency point of view, if you're not a realistic contender for the cup, you should always be building assets for the future (also known as the Florida Marlins example).

However, considering that most of the core of this team is expected to contribute to a potential contender down the line, you can't disregard making the playoffs.

Giving the kids postseason experience, and the growing pains of playoff hockey, is a necessary part of their development. Making sure that the experience is a positive one is also recommended. You cannot create a losing atmosphere in the organization - giving up on the playoffs when the team has been in the hunt almost all season is a terrible message to send to the players, and creates a sense of malaise with the franchise.

Also, making the playoffs also improves the optics for potential free agents. If you were free agent X this off-season, would you rather go to a Leafs team that hasn't made the playoffs in almost a decade, or an up-and-coming Leafs team that made the playoffs and is still the youngest/second-youngest team in the league?

Finally, you're assuming that all of these moves are happening in a complete vacuum. Toronto is the most scrutinized NHL team in the league. Media, fan, and corporate reaction all have an impact. MLSE might not treat Brian Burke like they treated JFJ (forcing him to try to make the playoffs for more $$$), but if you're thinking that isn't a consideration for Burke (making the playoffs to please his bosses and show progress), well, then I have some rare coins I'd like to sell you.

Briecheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
Yay! troll67 is back!

Anyways, regarding this whole thread and his ideas:

They are completely and utterly nonsensical. We have one of the youngest teams in the league, and a deep prospect pool, yet you want to continue to rebuild? Then you make it seem like it's so easy, you know just acquire star prospects for Liles + Macarthur (who is young) + Grabovski (relatively young). It's so easy! After that we can just sign some star UFA's that will obviously want to sign here despite the fact that the team will be a bottom feeder with no vets, and just some young players with potential.

It's not as easy as you think it is, and the direction the Leafs are heading in right now is the right direction.

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
Yay! troll67 is back!

Anyways, regarding this whole thread and his ideas:

They are completely and utterly nonsensical. We have one of the youngest teams in the league, and a deep prospect pool, yet you want to continue to rebuild? Then you make it seem like it's so easy, you know just acquire star prospects for Liles + Macarthur (who is young) + Grabovski (relatively young). It's so easy! After that we can just sign some star UFA's that will obviously want to sign here despite the fact that the team will be a bottom feeder with no vets, and just some young players with potential.

It's not as easy as you think it is, and the direction the Leafs are heading in right now is the right direction.
Quoted for Truth.

Nobody will give you top prospects for pending UFAs. There's also nothing wrong with trading for experienced (not necessarily old) players as long as you're keeping the core intact.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:37 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

There will certainly be some decisions made in the coming months. As the UFA pools turn shallow and players coming through the minors pushing for NHL spots it will make things interesting.

It's obvious Connolly isn't in the 'long-term' plans, and Grabovski has age, and production on his side as of late. The Leafs have 16'ish to spend on UFA shopping (as of right now). If the Leafs plan on re-signing their key players it's going to take a large chunk - if not all of that salary. Then there's the issue of finding a goalie to share the net with Reimer (or Gustavsson..)

If Grabovski asks for 5+ and Liles asks for 5+ million do you give it to them? And I think the fact Kulemin's an RFA is going to play a factor in trade talks. Kulemin could ask for 3+m I'd imagine - even with the season he's having. If..say..Burke has a deal for Bobby Ryan and one of the key players he has to deal is Kulemin, the fact he has to likely pay him more next season (and beyond) is probably going to play a factor in the deal. Then the following season Gunnarsson is up for renewal and is in for a hike also.

But back to the UFA's, even Gustavsson, based on the season HE'S having, may likely be in for a good raise. Again..do you lock him in? Or go a cheaper UFA route?

It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds. I think Burke will re-sign both Grabovski and Liles, it's Kulemin I'm not too sure about..

01-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Stephen

As a traditional rebuild guy by philosophy, I have to disagree with you. If anything, the Leafs need to start getting serious about adding elite talent and 'going for it.' The way Burke's built his core with the age group at present, you basically have to keep getting better, and can't afford to take any steps back, or else we're just the Toronto Blue Jays. Look at teams like the New York Rangers. They were a nowhere, nothing team last year and with one extra year of development as a core and a few moves here and there they're competing for first place. There's so much parity, I think one trade, a healthy run for the playoffs and some experience will make this a dramatically better team.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:16 AM
TMLOBI

So what gives you the impression that Burke is going to trade our youth for old players just to make a push to the playoffs? I can't think of one instance where Burke has done this while being the GM of the Leafs. He might trade youth but he will get a young player in return.

I think the days of old when the Leafs trade top prospects and 1st round picks for half a season of a player is over.

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:29 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
trade grabo to st louis for terasenko, blues are a contender, thats trades burke has to make.
liles, mac for couturier
youth that will compete for years then add UFAS like grabo in the summer. they young top talent and sign UFAs
bro this is like us getting Kuba for Schenn.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

only UFA's I'd be okay with us trading are crabb and gus

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Ah, the forever rebuild method. Where the future is always priority #1, even at the expense of the present.
Oh but one day, one day when we are not afraid to have our butts handed to us in the first round of the playoffs, maybe our team will be given time to develop into a contender...but those picks and prospects are soooo sexy though.

Last edited by Christ: 01-16-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:40 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
we cant compete in the playoffs just yet, dont trade our youth ,just to try and save wilsons job. load up on some good prospects, ala gardiener, cobourn, franzen etc
next year will be our year, add some good ufas this summer, mix with the youth. there are alot of good UFAs this summer

playoffs this year, we will get our ***** kicked, plus we will lose some good prospects, then have no money to sign any UFAs this summer, because we will bring in more money with trades with has beens.

burke keep on pace, next year we will be very strong, dont do it for wilson.
burke did say he never wants to go into the playoffs just to get our ***** kicked. boston, rangers ring a bell.
That's good for inducing a headache.

How do you know what UFA's will be available in the summer?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Midna

We should get rumplestiltskin to be our GM.

Midna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Cams

I wouldn't mind Brayden "Cobourn" and Johan "Franzen" in the Leafs lineup.......

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote