HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars and GBR: #43 @ Montreal

Old
01-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Fataldogg

vCash: 500
Bad defense, bad offense. Not a good recipe.

I want to see more out of both Gaborik and Richards. They've been stagnant for some time now. Gaborik has just 1 goal in his last 9 games now.

Need to get both of them together.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Vitto79

putting Gaborik with Richards is interesting but kinda scary if the others lines dont pick it up

Although its not the worst idea to go Stepan, Richards, Gaborik then re-unite the Packline

after that Hagelin, Boyle, Prust ............Rupp, Mitchell, Fedotenko, Wolski ( wont get much time).......Torts having Mitchell on the top line drives me nuts

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Pandemic

Habs fan coming in peace..

Just wondering why Lundqvist wasn't played against Toronto and Biron against Montreal? Biron always seems to play extremely well in Montreal (not sure if that stats back that up, just a feeling I have from before). Was there any particular reason?

Also, that Hagelin guy is a fine player.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post

Just wondering why Lundqvist wasn't played against Toronto and Biron against Montreal? Biron always seems to play extremely well in Montreal (not sure if that stats back that up, just a feeling I have from before). Was there any particular reason?

Biron's last effort in Montreal was not successful either. Both games at the Bell Centre this season were two of very few games the Rangers were not in at all from start to finish.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:39 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
A lot to say about this game...

This epitomizes exactly how the Rangers should NOT play. Weak on the puck, high risk passes in the neutral zone, and too much overall panic in the defensive zone. The defensive play in this game was akin to that of a last place team. All of those goals were very preventable had the team made the simple, efficient play. Instead, they decided to try the pass-to-nowhere and leave their man along the wall and in the slot. It was simply too easy for Montreal to control the puck in the Rangers' defensive zone. Also, the Rangers were entirely too soft all-around tonight. What happened to the 50+ hits we saw last night? Maybe it wore them out, but I don't think I could count the number of legitimate checks the Rangers made tonight on one hand. They made it so easy for the Montreal D to just exit the zone unpunished. The Rangers will not win any games playing this style. They beat themselves tonight.

Gaborik, Callahan, and Richards NEED to be better, too. Watching them fail to produce anything in the offensive zone shift after shift is getting very frustrating. I love Gaborik, but right now, we're watching the Gaborik that MSG the place to be constantly describes...terrible puck carrier, shies away from contact, and defended with ease. He needs to start finding the seams and stop turning the puck over on every rush. Richards has been very disappointing in my eyes. The GWG are nice, but where is tghe premier playmaker that was sold to us over the summer? 58 points is simply unacceptable from a player being paid what he's being paid....hoesntly, he's starting to move into that "bad contract" category. He's different from Drury/Gomez because of the other elements he adds, but his play right now is just hard to watch. Callahan has been his typical all-around self, but he's got 1 point in the last 5 games. Again, he needs to pick it up.

Of course, this team never wins in Montreal, so maybe I'm over-examining this, but I still have my concerns.

Just find a way to the next 2.
they weren't engaged tonight. played as complete game as they've played all season yesterday only to follow it up with one of their worst performances of the season. it happens some nights.

this team is far from a finished product and they can get better.

NikC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:43 PM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
they weren't engaged tonight. played as complete game as they've played all season yesterday only to follow it up with one of their worst performances of the season. it happens some nights.

this team is far from a finished product and they can get better.
Oh, I agree. These are just some of my general concerns with team; well, the 2nd paragraph is.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:44 PM
js10

Quote:

This epitomizes exactly how the Rangers should NOT play. Weak on the puck, high risk passes in the neutral zone, and too much overall panic in the defensive zone. The defensive play in this game was akin to that of a last place team. All of those goals were very preventable had the team made the simple, efficient play. Instead, they decided to try the pass-to-nowhere and leave their man along the wall and in the slot. It was simply too easy for Montreal to control the puck in the Rangers' defensive zone. Also, the Rangers were entirely too soft all-around tonight. What happened to the 50+ hits we saw last night? Maybe it wore them out, but I don't think I could count the number of legitimate checks the Rangers made tonight on one hand. They made it so easy for the Montreal D to just exit the zone unpunished. The Rangers will not win any games playing this style. They beat themselves tonight.

Gaborik, Callahan, and Richards NEED to be better, too. Watching them fail to produce anything in the offensive zone shift after shift is getting very frustrating. I love Gaborik, but right now, we're watching the Gaborik that MSG the place to be constantly describes...terrible puck carrier, shies away from contact, and defended with ease. He needs to start finding the seams and stop turning the puck over on every rush. Richards has been very disappointing in my eyes. The GWG are nice, but where is tghe premier playmaker that was sold to us over the summer? 58 points is simply unacceptable from a player being paid what he's being paid....hoesntly, he's starting to move into that "bad contract" category. He's different from Drury/Gomez because of the other elements he adds, but his play right now is just hard to watch. Callahan has been his typical all-around self, but he's got 1 point in the last 5 games. Again, he needs to pick it up.

Of course, this team never wins in Montreal, so maybe I'm over-examining this, but I still have my concerns.

when I think about Gaborik's goals, I think about long passing lanes when he gets the puck before crossing the blue line. Montreal played masterfully, not giving up chances to do anything similar. Rangers just hit the team that executed well for 50 minutes and they did not crack their system (what should have been toughness and strong puck possession)

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Zil

I am getting really sick of Brad Richards killing our offensive zone pressure by throwing blind passes in front of the net. He is not nearly as smart a player as he was billed to be.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:56 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

The Good: The New York Football Giants made me so happy, that I don't care about a regular season boot whooping. They happen.
The Bad: The overall team effort, lack of chemisty on the Top 6. Time to put Gaborik and Richards together. And I DO think we should make a move for a LW.
The Redden: The Rangers play at the Bell Centre. The Canadians just own us in that building. Wolski is a lost cause. I want to give him a chance, but yikes.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:57 PM
xEchox

Mitchell scored a goal

xEchox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:59 PM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I don't know, I don't think Hags has the scoring touch to be a 60 point player.

If he had a better shot he'd be ridiculous.
He's got a pretty good shot and is an underrated passer. Look at the shots he put on Miller and Brodeur. And the passes to Mitchell and Stepan. He is a fairly skilled player with elite speed.

He could easily be a 60 point player, IMO - I'm not expecting it, but I'm not even close to ruling it out.

Old
01-15-2012, 10:02 PM
blue425

Stars?

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:03 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:

Correct, Gomez and Drury were doing significantly better at this point after receiving their big contracts.

For being such a supposedly effortless passer, the way he telegraphs his passes by swinging his entire body is laughable. Callahan, Stepan, Gaborik, hell even Hagelin have been better playmakers this season, along with other players.

Still think that the Rangers, as great as they've been, are nowhere near capacity yet. Boston is playing to their potential. I'd like to see the Rangers play an in-your-face game like in Toronto, along with having the team fully healed and Richards/Gaborik playing like they give a ****.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:08 PM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Gomez has never been better than Richards, as much as Richards has struggled this season. I'll take a 58 point Richards over a 71 point Gomez any day of the week.

That said, I agree with what you said in regards to his passing. It's so easy to read.

Old
01-15-2012, 10:13 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
He's got a pretty good shot and is an underrated passer. Look at the shots he put on Miller and Brodeur. And the passes to Mitchell and Stepan. He is a fairly skilled player with elite speed.

He could easily be a 60 point player, IMO - I'm not expecting it, but I'm not even close to ruling it out.
I feel the same way. His awareness is great and I loved his behind the net play. I do agree with a previous poster that if his shot were a bit better he'd be great, but still, his play is a great addition to our offense.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:23 PM
RangerNation1994

McDonagh led the team with 29:44 minutes of ice-time and still managed to have an even rating...

McD, Steps, and Hagelin were the only players who looked like they had any idea what was going on. The Rangers are gonna put up stinkers every once in while and tonight was one of them... just extremely outplayed.

Richards are Gaborik have had good years but this team can only win so many games without them contributing. They need to start stepping up.

RangerNation1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:32 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Gomez has never been better than Richards, as much as Richards has struggled this season. I'll take a 58 point Richards over a 71 point Gomez any day of the week.

That said, I agree with what you said in regards to his passing. It's so easy to read.
That's just untrue. Richards has been inexistent, Gomez did have an impact his first year as a Ranger.

He also looked twice as good tonight.

Obviously Brad is a better hockey player, he has a better cap hit and brings other things. But Scott Gomez played better hockey in his early days as a Ranger.

Brad would be booed relentlessly if the Rangers weren't doing so well.

Gaborik on the other hand has had his fair share of very very good games.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:32 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerNation1994 View Post
McDonagh led the team with 29:44 minutes of ice-time and still managed to have an even rating...

McD, Steps, and Hagelin were the only players who looked like they had any idea what was going on. The Rangers are gonna put up stinkers every once in while and tonight was one of them... just extremely outplayed.

Richards and Gaborik have had good years but this team can only win so many games without them contributing. They need to start stepping up.
McD is my star of the game. That's all that matters.

Been said a million times before, but you can't really have high hopes when we play the Bell Centre. The Gabby and Richards thing is getting ridiculous. Richards has defied all my hopes I had for him when he was first signed.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:41 PM
RangerNation1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM Smiths View Post
McD is my star of the game. That's all that matters.

Been said a million times before, but you can't really have high hopes when we play the Bell Centre. The Gabby and Richards thing is getting ridiculous. Richards has defied all my hopes I had for him when he was first signed.
Completely agree with McD being the star tonight

Yea, knowing this game was in Montreal I wasn't expecting much.

Richards has been great for this team and as made some huge plays, same with Gabby, but they can't go on these scoring droughts. I'm not saying they should have a hat trick every game, but they've flattened out a bit the last few games. Still, they're great players so I'm not worried about it at this point in the season.

RangerNation1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:49 PM
ltsthinaz

Anybody notice that since Dubinsky got hurt and Wolski came in, they've lost two out of three?

No, they never win in Montreal, but this game was more about the Rangers playing poorly (except, as noted, by McDonagh and one or two others), than Montreal playing well. They're just not very good.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
Anybody notice that since Dubinsky got hurt and Wolski came in, they've lost two out of three?

No, they never win in Montreal, but this game was more about the Rangers playing poorly (except, as noted, by McDonagh and one or two others), than Montreal playing well. They're just not very good.
Smartest thing I've read on here all night. The further this "we suck in Montreal" pony loaf is allowed to spread, the likelier you are as a team to play like **** there because you think, "well, it's not like we're going to win there anyway." It's just an arena... and not a particularly hard one to win in lately at that.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Ail
k.

**** Montreal, and the Bell Centre, I mean honestly.

WHAT THE **** IS IT ABOUT THIS ****HOLE!?

Talk about frustrating, Montreal is such an awful team against just about everyone else. It's embarrassing.

The best goalie in the league has a meltdown here EVERY. SINGLE. ****ING. TIME.

It's getting old, and it's not even entirely Henrik's fault. Just the whole thing is getting tiring.

Win in ****ing Montreal for the love of Jesus, ****.

01-15-2012, 10:56 PM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Smartest thing I've read on here all night. The further this "we suck in Montreal" pony loaf is allowed to spread, the likelier you are as a team to play like **** there because you think, "well, it's not like we're going to win there anyway." It's just an arena... and not a particularly hard one to win in lately at that.
Thanks, and I speak Spanish fluently, too.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Ail
k.

Also, at least Gomez didn't score. I was ready to bet my next paycheck he would.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Agentsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post

best nyr player last few games.

Agentsmith is offline   Reply With Quote