HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How does Tort's get Brad Richards going??

Old
02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
JoeRangers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
There was a shift last night where Brad Richards looked like his old self. Had his feet moving the whole time, had the puck on a string and made a few good passes. If he did that only a few times a game it would be a big boost.

He looked bad on the PP in OT. That shot he took from the point that hit the goalie in the chest was awful. Miller saw it the whole way and there wasn't a Ranger within 5 feet of the goal.

There is no reason the front of the net should ever be vacant on a 4-on-3 PP for more than a second or two while players rotate. Weird strategy the Rangers have.
That whole 4 on 3 was ugly. There wasnt even a Buffalo player in Millers line of sight when Richards took that shot. I swear at one point the Rangers had 2 guys up high by the point controlling the puck, 1 along the boards and the 4th was standing next to the net below the goal line. WTF kind of set up is that?

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:38 AM
shelaur22

I think it's just a slump. Nothing in his personal life, not post-concussion symptoms, not his linemates (or lack thereof), and not his age--just a slump. As someone who follows Penguins hockey, I can totally relate how Rangers fans feel about Richards right now. Look at James Neal. When he came to the Pens last year, he was supposed to be a deadly sniper. He was on a line with Letestu and Kovalev and scored 2 goals in half a season. He was terrible. He looked lost in training camp, and even after he started scoring goals, Pens fans complained that they were garbage goals and he was getting lucky.

Point is, look at Neal now. He's jiving with Malkin, got his shot back. People hated trading for him, and now those same people are worried that we won't be able to afford re-signing him. I think Richards just needs time to gel. He's gripping the stick too tight. He'll be fine, though.

shelaur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:44 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
That whole 4 on 3 was ugly. There wasnt even a Buffalo player in Millers line of sight when Richards took that shot. I swear at one point the Rangers had 2 guys up high by the point controlling the puck, 1 along the boards and the 4th was standing next to the net below the goal line. WTF kind of set up is that?
It made no sense. Callahan is usually the man in front but when he rotated out no one replaced him. And there were times he just left the front and went behind the net. That can't possibly be the strategy?

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:07 PM
jgiovanni

Send a message via AIM to jgiovanni
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelaur22 View Post
I think it's just a slump. Nothing in his personal life, not post-concussion symptoms, not his linemates (or lack thereof), and not his age--just a slump. As someone who follows Penguins hockey, I can totally relate how Rangers fans feel about Richards right now. Look at James Neal. When he came to the Pens last year, he was supposed to be a deadly sniper. He was on a line with Letestu and Kovalev and scored 2 goals in half a season. He was terrible. He looked lost in training camp, and even after he started scoring goals, Pens fans complained that they were garbage goals and he was getting lucky.

Point is, look at Neal now. He's jiving with Malkin, got his shot back. People hated trading for him, and now those same people are worried that we won't be able to afford re-signing him. I think Richards just needs time to gel. He's gripping the stick too tight. He'll be fine, though.
Def. his personal life as he and Munn split early-mid January, just when the slump started happening.

jgiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:09 PM
NYR Viper

Richards needs to be used on the point on the PP. He and Stralman should be on the points. The Rangers need more movement from their forwards down low.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Ha, that just added to the steam coming out of my ears. Does he just say things just to say them? Because I dont think of Tortorella as a tactician, nor (as you mentioned) have I seen anything remsembling a competent powerplay since he got here. In fact, we havent seen one since Jagr and Nylander were running things.

I'd rather the team fail trying to be creative - get in a seam, switch things up a little...MOVE...passing around the perimeter for a minute and a half and then firing a shot into 6 people just isnt cutting it.
I have no idea where McGuire got that idea either. I'm not sure if it's the concept of defensive responsibility that is keeping our guys from taking chances on the PP, but we're not so devoid of offensive talent that we should have 5 guys standing around doing nothing. That entire PP in OT was literally 4 guys standing in the same spot and passing it back and forth around the box. It was pathetic.

For the life of me I can't figure out what is causing them to just stand still. There's no circling, no creativity, no passing through the box, nothing at all.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:43 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiovanni View Post
Def. his personal life as he and Munn split early-mid January, just when the slump started happening.

Lets not pretend like they had this long relationship, they were dating for like 2 months and it was 2 months during hockey season which im sure doesnt leave a ton of time for a girlfriend. Have you ever been that messed up after breaking up with someone you've only dated for 2 months? Maybe in high school.

I've been with my wife for the last 16 years and I probably wouldnt be that messed up if we "broke up". God I hope she doesnt read this

Last edited by JoeRangers: 02-02-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old
02-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Power Ranger
Rookie User

Bench this slob for a week and see if he gets the picture. Ya gotta shake things up!!!

Power Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:11 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I have no idea where McGuire got that idea either. I'm not sure if it's the concept of defensive responsibility that is keeping our guys from taking chances on the PP, but we're not so devoid of offensive talent that we should have 5 guys standing around doing nothing. That entire PP in OT was literally 4 guys standing in the same spot and passing it back and forth around the box. It was pathetic.

For the life of me I can't figure out what is causing them to just stand still. There's no circling, no creativity, no passing through the box, nothing at all.
Exactly. I just can't imagine the coaches haven't tried to get rid of this problem. That would just be impossible, right? But the players aren't bad players, either, so what gives?

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:16 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Lets not pretend like they had this long relationship, they were dating for like 2 months and it was 2 months during hockey season which im sure doesnt leave a ton of time for a girlfriend. Have you ever been that messed up after breaking up with someone you've only dated for 2 months? Maybe in high school.

I've been with my wife for the last 16 years and I probably wouldnt be that messed up if we "broke up". God I hope she doesnt read this
It took me way too long to realize you quoted the wrong post. I was looking for some sort of metaphor that didn't exist.

Old
02-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Evolved83

A.)Get BR a girlfriend

B.) Get him a sniper to put on the wing so he can actually have someone to pass to that will put the freakin puck in the net

Evolved83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved83 View Post
A.)Get BR a girlfriend

B.) Get him a sniper to put on the wing so he can actually have someone to pass to that will put the freakin puck in the net
I'd buy this argument if he was setting up Callahan and Hagelin/Dubinsky regularly with quality scoring chances, but he's not. Giving him a guy to bury the puck isn't going to be beneficial if he's not creating the opportunity to do so in the first place.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

I say we have Trxjw run the PP.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:30 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
It took me way too long to realize you quoted the wrong post. I was looking for some sort of metaphor that didn't exist.
LOL. Whoopsie. Fixed it

Old
02-02-2012, 01:35 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved83 View Post
A.)Get BR a girlfriend

Get him T.Swift
He'll score at 2 PPG for the rest of the year...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:39 PM
McRanger

Quote:
I'd buy this argument if he was setting up Callahan and Hagelin/Dubinsky regularly with quality scoring chances, but he's not. Giving him a guy to bury the puck isn't going to be beneficial if he's not creating the opportunity to do so in the first place.
Agreed. If there is a problem, the solution starts with Brad Richards.

Old
02-02-2012, 01:53 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
The problem is he doesn't have faith in his line mates, so he is doing way too much himself. It's pretty clear to me.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Agreed. I remember when the Rangers acquired Gretzky in 96. Players were getting set up on a silver platter, almost to the point where they weren't expecting his beautiful set-ups.

I dont see anything like that with Richards, just a guy thats simply not playing well.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:10 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Agreed. A lot of people seem to be under the impression that Richards' linemates are holding him back, but I don't think that's the case. Every now and then he'll make a good pass, but it's not consistent enough. Richards is definitely capable of being better and he needs to find it within himself to turn it around.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:12 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I get what people are saying when they keep talking about Richards looking "slow." But the newsflash is hes never been a quick player throughout his career. Is he supposed to be faster because he signed a big deal for us?

Brad Richards has feasted on the powerplay, specifically the powerplay point, for nearly his entire career. When you take into account that:

1. Richards is clearly in a slump
2. Richards is not playing the point on the powerplay, for whatever reason
3. The Powerplay sucks as it is regardless of the points above

you're going to get a guy whose production is down. But all this psycho-babble about how he "looks slow" or how his concussion is still effecting him really have no basis in reality.
From a person who's watched him the past 3 years, this is 100% the truth. Until the PP is fixed, which might not happen under Torts, he's not going to be an 80 point player. Hell his 90 point season he had 41 PPPs. Take 49 ES points and extrapolate it to the Ranger's PP, and lack of production, and you get about his current pace.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:24 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I think he definitely tries to do too much with the puck in transition. It's not just the lack of movement on the PP. They don't rotate well in the offensive zone at even strength, and even when they head up the ice in transition, it's very messy. The breakouts are not great, especially with Sauer out of the lineup, who used to make some really simple but effective outlet passes.

As a result, Richards is trying to beat guys by himself while moving the puck up the ice. They just don't create space and time for themselves or their teammates very well.

Also, I think the same is true of Callahan. He puts too much responsibility on himself offensively.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Kershaw

Ray Whitney will get this powerplay working and once this powerplay is working, Richards will rack up the points like he did throughout his career.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:55 PM
________

vCash: 109
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
He scored 13 points in 16 games when he returned. He also was playing well earlier this season getting 24 points in his first 25 games. Hes just been a really bad slump since early/mid Dec. Honestly dont think hes having any concussion/symptom problems. Somewhere around 40% of his career points have come on the PP. Now the million dollar question is are the PP problems causing his slump or is his slump causing the PP problems?
I don't know completely about his game this year, but when he returned from the concussion last season he didn't look that good, despite those points. He looked tentative, in the times I've watched him play this year he looks tentative. It's not the reason why he's struggling, but I think a small bit of it is effecting him. Regardless, he should be producing a improved powerplay will definitely help his point production.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Ray Whitney will get this powerplay working and once this powerplay is working, Richards will rack up the points like he did throughout his career.
Im leaning more and more towards Whitney when it comes to realistic acquisitions.

Hes creative as hell even at 39, and thats what this team needs above all else.

Should come relatively cheap if Phoenix wants to deal him, but looks like theyre pretty gung-ho about making the playoffs for revenue.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 04:28 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I think he definitely tries to do too much with the puck in transition. It's not just the lack of movement on the PP. They don't rotate well in the offensive zone at even strength, and even when they head up the ice in transition, it's very messy. The breakouts are not great, especially with Sauer out of the lineup, who used to make some really simple but effective outlet passes.

As a result, Richards is trying to beat guys by himself while moving the puck up the ice. They just don't create space and time for themselves or their teammates very well.

Also, I think the same is true of Callahan. He puts too much responsibility on himself offensively.
Exactly. Richards just has zero trust for his linemates.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote