HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How does Tort's get Brad Richards going??

Old
02-02-2012, 08:13 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Richards should be the first line center passing to Gaborik. He was brought here to be in that role. It is not like Stepan is dominating and putting up PPG numbers on the first line.

Put Stepan on the 2nd line with Cally and there wont be much of a difference in Stepan's production
Agreed 100%. Stop dicking around and make the change.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Agreed 100%. Stop dicking around and make the change.
Yup. Stepan and Gaborik worked real well for awhile but I'd definitely mix things up a bit now. Stepan with Callahan and Dubinsky should also work just fine and Richards with Gaborik might get Richards going regardless. I also like putting him with Hagelin even if he doesn't get moved up with Gaborik

But...we'll see, Tortorella seems to want to ride that top line since they continue to produce to some extent

Richards played well last night, things just aren't going his way.

I still don't regret the signing, as I think he'll eventually find a groove and his place on the team, he's helped the team grow a whole lot, gives other teams something worry about to some extent, and is probably directly responsible for like 12 points

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:18 AM
MSG the place to be*

Torts (and fans on the right page) wants lines that execute the Torts system. The production is a by-product.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:37 AM
alkurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Richards wasn't the same player last season after he returned from his concussion.
I've had the same thought.

And that is the second half of the equation: caveat emptor on players over 30 and on players who have suffered major concussions.

If BR is still suffering low grade symptoms (not enough for him to fail cognitive tests or be obvious in his regular life), it means one of two things:

He will never recover completely
He will, at some point, improve. We're almost at the one year mark from his injury which seems to be the point at which some players go back to being able to perform.

We can only hope for the best.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Can they put Richards and Gaborik together? Yea I guess - but I disagree with the notion that Stepan's production won't suffer being off that line. Stepan and Gaborik work well together - and even with Richards struggling mightily, I think we are a deeper team and tougher to play against when those 2 are seperated.

In my opinion, the answer begins with putting Richards back on the point for the powerplay. Could get him going, and help the dismal powerplay at the same time. Lets face it, it cant get any worse on either of those fronts.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
I've had the same thought.

And that is the second half of the equation: caveat emptor on players over 30 and on players who have suffered major concussions.

If BR is still suffering low grade symptoms (not enough for him to fail cognitive tests or be obvious in his regular life), it means one of two things:

He will never recover completely
He will, at some point, improve. We're almost at the one year mark from his injury which seems to be the point at which some players go back to being able to perform.

We can only hope for the best.
Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Were you saying this when he was very, very good the first couple months of the season?

If you want to get into wild theories like these, a much more believable one is his performance has suffered since Olivia Munn dumped his ass.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:48 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Richards wasn't the same player last season after he returned from his concussion.
He scored 13 points in 16 games when he returned. He also was playing well earlier this season getting 24 points in his first 25 games. Hes just been a really bad slump since early/mid Dec. Honestly dont think hes having any concussion/symptom problems. Somewhere around 40% of his career points have come on the PP. Now the million dollar question is are the PP problems causing his slump or is his slump causing the PP problems?

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:50 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Were you saying this when he was very, very good the first couple months of the season?

If you want to get into wild theories like these, a much more believable one is his performance has suffered since Olivia Munn dumped his ass.

This is also true. Someone get this guy a hot piece of ass so he can get back to playing hockey the way hes supposed to

Old
02-02-2012, 08:59 AM
alkurtz

Quote:

He never was really, really good early this season. He scored some clutch goals for sure, but from day one he has disappointed me. We never have seen the elite playmaker that he was earlier in his career. Never.

Again, I was totally in favor of signing him and have no regrets.

But the fact is that he is not close to the player he once was. Its not the system, its not who he is playing with. That IMO is total BS. I don't think it is the pressure of playing to the terms of a big contract (he has made that kind of money before), I don't think its the pressure of playing in NY.

Something is going on with him. What is your explanation?

Old
02-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
He never was really, really good early this season. He scored some clutch goals for sure, but from day one he has disappointed me. We never have seen the elite playmaker that he was earlier in his career. Never.

Again, I was totally in favor of signing him and have no regrets.

But the fact is that he is not close to the player he once was. Its not the system, its not who he is playing with. That IMO is total BS. I don't think it is the pressure of playing to the terms of a big contract (he has made that kind of money before), I don't think its the pressure of playing in NY.

Something is going on with him. What is your explanation?
My explanation is simply that what you're saying is untrue. He was producing at almost a point per game through early December? Thats not very good?

And to cast away the system we play and his linemates (who are also all struggling mightily) is a strange way to go about your argument.

Perhaps most important, how about how hes made a living playing the point on the powerplay in this league for a long time, and he hasnt been there on this team for months? Torts has had a great year, but thats really starting to piss me off.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Dorado*

Richards looks slow and out of shape as well as out of shape . He is on the down physically it appears .The other part if the equation is the NYR system is not conducive to BR scoring 90 points . On this team , which wins despite his lack of production , BR is a 60 -65 P player unless by some miracle the PP improves .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Dorado*

Out of synch and out of shape I meant

Old
02-02-2012, 09:28 AM
alkurtz

I don't think that anyone can deny that he just looks slow out there: slow in his skating, slow in his reaction time, slow in his decision making.

I have a hard time believing that a player with a reputation for being a gym rat and always being in top physical condition is somehow out of shape.

When you have an elite playmaker who has only a handful of assists (with fingers left over) in two months of play, it has to be indicative of something else.

I know he is contributing in other ways off the ice, but it is his on ice performance that is a factor here. He has never been a good defensive center and still isn't. If he doesn't contribute offensively and on the PP, we have a problem.

If BR were performing at the level expected of him we would be the favorite for the Cup, not just one of a group of 6 or 7 top elite teams.

Hopefully it is not age. Hopefully it is not PCS.

We need BR.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I get what people are saying when they keep talking about Richards looking "slow." But the newsflash is hes never been a quick player throughout his career. Is he supposed to be faster because he signed a big deal for us?

Brad Richards has feasted on the powerplay, specifically the powerplay point, for nearly his entire career. When you take into account that:

1. Richards is clearly in a slump
2. Richards is not playing the point on the powerplay, for whatever reason
3. The Powerplay sucks as it is regardless of the points above

you're going to get a guy whose production is down. But all this psycho-babble about how he "looks slow" or how his concussion is still effecting him really have no basis in reality.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:58 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
I get what people are saying when they keep talking about Richards looking "slow." But the newsflash is hes never been a quick player throughout his career. Is he supposed to be faster because he signed a big deal for us?

Brad Richards has feasted on the powerplay, specifically the powerplay point, for nearly his entire career. When you take into account that:

1. Richards is clearly in a slump
2. Richards is not playing the point on the powerplay, for whatever reason
3. The Powerplay sucks as it is regardless of the points above

you're going to get a guy whose production is down. But all this psycho-babble about how he "looks slow" or how his concussion is still effecting him really have no basis in reality.
Bingo on the bolded stuff.

Hasnt Richards been playing the point on the PP the last few games? He was definitely there yesterday, thought he was there against the Devils?

Old
02-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post

Hasnt Richards been playing the point on the PP the last few games? He was definitely there yesterday, thought he was there against the Devils?
Tortorella seems to switch it up from time to time, probably based on how terrible any given PP looks

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

He plays a variation of the point on the 4 on 3 powerplay in OT. I dont remember him being there recently on 5 on 4's.

Girardi has been there with Del Zotto - and Stralman got some time, which was a disaster. Pretty sure Richards continues to play along the halfboards and has been ineffective there.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:15 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
He plays a variation of the point on the 4 on 3 powerplay in OT. I dont remember him being there recently on 5 on 4's.

Girardi has been there with Del Zotto - and Stralman got some time, which was a disaster. Pretty sure Richards continues to play along the halfboards and has been ineffective there.
Maybe that was it I knew he was out there in OT. I take the Rangers PP as an opportunity to use the bathroom because I know they arent going to do anything

Old
02-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

As someone pointed out in another thread: We seem to get very few power plays, so sometimes it's hard to tell WHO plays on it!

02-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Maybe that was it I knew he was out there in OT. I take the Rangers PP as an opportunity to use the bathroom because I know they arent going to do anything
Was joking with a friend last night that I wished the Rangers had an option to decline powerplays - things might be better if they could play an entire game at even strength or shorthanded.

I was screaming at my TV watching the last couple of powerplays last night. No movement, no creativity, no confidence, no nothing.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Was joking with a friend last night that I wished the Rangers had an option to decline powerplays - things might be better if they could play an entire game at even strength or shorthanded.

I was screaming at my TV watching the last couple of powerplays last night. No movement, no creativity, no confidence, no nothing.
I hear ya there. It's absolutely painful to watch. They won't even TRY making a seam pass. All the while I hear Pierre McGuire chirping about how Torts is such a great tactician and he must be livid with how the PP is performing. It's been lousy since he got here and we've gone through quite a few personnel changes, so I'm not exactly sure what the issue is.

Richards looks nothing like he did in Dallas while running the PP. To be honest, he looks lazy. He'd rather try and fire a shot into the shins of the opposition than try and make something happen.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:51 AM
CharlestownChiefsESC

Richards needs to shoot the puck more. he passed up a few opportunities last night. hes thinking too much

CharlestownChiefsESC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I hear ya there. It's absolutely painful to watch. They won't even TRY making a seam pass. All the while I hear Pierre McGuire chirping about how Torts is such a great tactician and he must be livid with how the PP is performing. It's been lousy since he got here and we've gone through quite a few personnel changes, so I'm not exactly sure what the issue is.

Richards looks nothing like he did in Dallas while running the PP. To be honest, he looks lazy. He'd rather try and fire a shot into the shins of the opposition than try and make something happen.
Ha, that just added to the steam coming out of my ears. Does he just say things just to say them? Because I dont think of Tortorella as a tactician, nor (as you mentioned) have I seen anything remsembling a competent powerplay since he got here. In fact, we havent seen one since Jagr and Nylander were running things.

I'd rather the team fail trying to be creative - get in a seam, switch things up a little...MOVE...passing around the perimeter for a minute and a half and then firing a shot into 6 people just isnt cutting it.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Dorado*

What you see is what you get . BR still demands the oppositions attention and best forwards to check him . I'll take this as a positive . His knack for the big Play in the first half is also a positive .
BUT .... it also appears he is in the wrong side of 30 , needs complimentary Players with some finish , and is another in a long list of OVERRATED OVERPAID , final contract fat cats to come to NY for a pension .
If his play elevates either this second half / playoffs if we make them ( can't take for granted despite our current position. ) or next season with some additions on his flanks then I'll re evaluate my opinion of him .
As of now he is a good soldier , says very little openly about his play , and is bought in to the team concept / system that has him on pace for a tremendous drop in personal numbers .
The Rangers are winning in spite of BR not because him , 6 GWG withstanding . Jamie Benn , Loui Erickson and now Michael Ryder aren't having a hard time scoring with out him .
I'm not a huge MZA fan but having him on tr half wall and Brad back at the point might be the creative decisive player he needs on the PP .

Old
02-02-2012, 11:16 AM
McRanger

There was a shift last night where Brad Richards looked like his old self. Had his feet moving the whole time, had the puck on a string and made a few good passes. If he did that only a few times a game it would be a big boost.

He looked bad on the PP in OT. That shot he took from the point that hit the goalie in the chest was awful. Miller saw it the whole way and there wasn't a Ranger within 5 feet of the goal.

There is no reason the front of the net should ever be vacant on a 4-on-3 PP for more than a second or two while players rotate. Weird strategy the Rangers have.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote