HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why anders over pekka today vs. NYR?

Old
01-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Alexdockery97NSH
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Alexdockery97NSH
Why anders over pekka today vs. NYR?

I understand Pekka needs a break but against the east's best team? Why didn't they start anders yesterday vs NYI?

Alexdockery97NSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

My guess is they're showcasing him to scouts. But that's just a guess. It's Barry Trotz. We don't know why he does what he does.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:15 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

I posted my theories in the game day thread. My best guess is he was a little sick yesterday so trotz switched the order. But as adz said, its trotz, who knows.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Hey guys. As a Rangers fan, I can really simply answer this question. The Rangers have no problem lighting up the elite goalIes in the league, but make any back up or AHL call up look like Patrick Roy. We made Mike Smith, Garon, Richard Bachmann, and the montreal backup look like Vezina candidates. I honestly don't think there will be a problem lighting Timmy Thomas up when we face him. That's the story in NY, and it looks like Barry Trotz knows it. Goodluck tonight guys

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:32 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Hey guys. As a Rangers fan, I can really simply answer this question. The Rangers have no problem lighting up the elite goalIes in the league, but make any back up or AHL call up look like Patrick Roy. We made Mike Smith, Garon, Richard Bachmann, and the montreal backup look like Vezina candidates. I honestly don't think there will be a problem lighting Timmy Thomas up when we face him. That's the story in NY, and it looks like Barry Trotz knows it. Goodluck tonight guys
Funny how every fan base seems to think that way with regard to backup goaltenders. Maybe they just want to play well and show the coaches what they are capable of?

It could be that Anders was under the weather, or that Trotz wanted to assure the easier two points against the Islanders. I'm not sure of the rationale; all I'm really concerned with is Lindback playing well and giving us a chance to beat a very talented Rangers squad.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:47 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
We have had a problem with the same thing. I was shocked we lit up the rookie yesterday. So we are happy to see Lundqvist haha

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I was kinda surprised to see Pekka in yesterday too but it makes me think Trotz has his reasons. I feel bad for Lindback because it seems like he always falls behind early every time after he sits on the bench always waiting for a shot. Now it's against NYR.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Dodgie

I think Anders will be fine. You don't think he'll be pumped to go head to head with one of the best Swedish goalies in the league?
As long as he doesn't ask Lundqvist for an autograph.

Swede against Swede.

Now, if the team in front of him plays the way we know they can, it should be a good game.

Dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:14 PM
jlsg

Reason is we HAD to win against the Isles. That's a game we should win so don't mess around and put in your best team. Same with Thu at Columbus. A game we should and need to win. So why waste all the horsepower against 1 team when we can use to make sure we get the 4 points that we absolutely need to have. When you have 3 or 4 games close together with a couple of weak teams and 1 strong team, this is a common way to approach it.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Reason is we HAD to win against the Isles. That's a game we should win so don't mess around and put in your best team. Same with Thu at Columbus. A game we should and need to win. So why waste all the horsepower against 1 team when we can use to make sure we get the 4 points that we absolutely need to have. When you have 3 or 4 games close together with a couple of weak teams and 1 strong team, this is a common way to approach it.
Agreed. Especially since this is against an Eastern team, so if we give up 2 points, it doesn't affect us. If we were playing Detroit or someone then I'd disagree with the decision.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Alexdockery97NSH
Rookie User

Send a message via Skype™ to Alexdockery97NSH
Anders seems fine so far one bad bounce and a good shot is all

Alexdockery97NSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:38 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Anders played well. The team forgot to change lines in front of him too often ... but ... the kid did what was needed from him.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Yeah Lindback was very solid. In hindsight Trotz definitely made the right decision here

Old
01-17-2012, 11:06 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Yep, exactly. And A.L. did great.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:55 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Anders played well. The team forgot to change lines in front of him too often ... but ... the kid did what was needed from him.
It was crazy how often guys ended up taking super-long shifts...sometimes it was because they were forced to, but other times they just didn't come off! I dunno what was up with that.

Kudos to Lindy though, I thought the second goal was stoppable but haven't seen a replay yet. Other than that he played well...2 goals given up to NYR isn't bad at all, especially when one of them was a fluky bounce.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:21 AM
Everlasting

Yeah, Lindbäck was really good, you cant ask a goalie to do more then what Lindbäck did this game. He was solid all the way through.

But you dont win any games if you dont score goals.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:03 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin929 View Post
Yeah, Lindbäck was really good, you cant ask a goalie to do more then what Lindbäck did this game. He was solid all the way through.

But you dont win any games if you dont score goals.
and you can't win when Jack Hillen ties for the Other teams in game goal scoring. In fact, you just can't win with Jack Hillen.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:30 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4050
I guess I'm the only one that is a little aggravated that Trotz threw in the towel against the Rangers. You guys seriously think that Lindback couldn't have beat the Isles? Doesn't show much faith in him.

I guess ultimately it doesn't matter since we didn't score any goals. But Pekka should have gone against the Rangers. Hindsight, I guess.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:46 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

honestly, Anders had an own goal against him and gave up a softie. I know he was screened, but a softie. Anders had nothing to do with the big fat gooseegg on the scoreboard. I thought our forwards were inconsistant last night. We would have a shift that built momentum, only to have the next one be flat. I don't know if it had to do with being tired, not having Suter back there to help with transition or a combination of it. We seemed to get bogged down too often in the neutral zone and we also had problems with their forecheck. It was great for them. We didn't handle it well. a good teaching game for trotz with the young kids.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:49 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
I guess I'm the only one that is a little aggravated that Trotz threw in the towel against the Rangers. You guys seriously think that Lindback couldn't have beat the Isles? Doesn't show much faith in him.

I guess ultimately it doesn't matter since we didn't score any goals. But Pekka should have gone against the Rangers. Hindsight, I guess.
No, I'm a little frustrated by it too. We played like we were expecting to lose. We didn't play awful, but we certainly didn't play well.

With that said, I think Trotz did it because it'd been so long since Lindback had played. Had he seen Lindback recently, he probably would have gone with him against the Islanders. But, like mentioned, he felt he had to get 2 points, so if he put Lindback against the Isles and he laid an egg, he'd run a serious risk of getting zero.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
You guys seriously think that Lindback couldn't have beat the Isles? Doesn't show much faith in him..
No one said that.

The only reason I don't care is because it's an Eastern conf team, so it doesn't matter if we give up points to them. If it were a Western team, I would agree. Go for the kill.

But like you said, in hindsight, Trotz definitely made the right choice. That's why he gets paid the big bucks and we sit behind a computer.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Legionnaire11

we've always talked about how Trotz should play situations like this to ensure the easier points, and he never does. This time he took the easy 2 and gets criticized?

I have no problem with it, and we nearly had 4. Preds controlled a lot of the play last night, but the Rangers blocked a lot of shots and Lundqvist is a very good goalie. If we had ANY kind of luck of the bounce last night, it would have been a totally different game.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:

I haven't done much looking into it but if the rumblings that Lindback wasn't feeling well on Monday then it would make way more sense. But on the flip side, they're professional athletes and maybe instead of throwing in the towel it was the opposite, and in fact, a vote of confidence in Lindback.

IF Lindy was healthy then we have two scenarios. Choose to start Peks against NYI to "ensure" two points and put in Lindy against NYR and hope for the best, or assume Lindy beats NYI and give Peks a shot against the Rangers. I think at this point of the season and the cluster of teams in the standings, Trotz made the right call. It would've been a gamble if the Isles played a really good game, Anders was off, and we lose, then repeat that performance last night.

Try to secure two points with Peks vs NYI, and put in a very capable goalie against NYR and hope we can pull one out. And honestly, it really did work out about as well as it could've. We dominated NYI and really did play well last night. Lindy played well and we got some pretty decent pressure on them and could've easily scored a couple goals. I have no problem with the way Trotz handled it.

Or, Anders could've actually been sick............

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote