HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres' Pegula needs action, not lame excuses

Old
01-16-2012, 04:24 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500

As I ***** about thread/topic redundancy...

Courtesy of Mr. Jerome Sullivan

Quote:
Six months ago, when Terry Pegula was gussying up the locker room and spending on new players, it would have been hard to imagine. But I'm more optimistic about the immediate future of the Bills than the Sabres.

The Bills missed the playoffs again, true, but at least they know who they are. A week ago, General Manager Buddy Nix sat with the media and gave an honest evaluation of his team. Nix identified the Bills' many shortcomings and acknowledged that he needed to get better players and spend to the cap.

I'm still not sold on Nix. But at least he acknowledged the team's problems and didn't dwell on the injury excuse. Fans came away feeling encouraged that the team might finally be on the right path.

Two days later, Terry Pegula went public and ladled out a bunch of excuses for his sorry, sinking team. Even a diehard fan would have expected some level of dismay with the team's miserable first half. Instead, the owner blamed it on injuries, providing a convenient cover for his GM, coach and players.
He continues...
Quote:
Pegula called the Sabres' injuries "catastrophic," a "plague." He compared the team to Humpty Dumpty. Does he know how sophomoric he sounds? The owner cares deeply about his team. But he comes off like some starry-eyed fan who swallows whatever management feeds him and sees critics as the enemy.

This comes as no surprise. On the day he took over last February, Pegula met with our editorial board. It was stunning how naive and defensive he was about criticism. He said his daughter, a pro tennis player, would quit if she was subjected to the sort of criticism we leveled at the Sabres.

Pegula actually said our coverage was hurting the Sabres. I felt embarrassed for him. It's one thing to be a fan. But this wasn't what objective Sabres fans had in mind, an owner with blind faith in Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier. They "ain't going nowhere," he said, as if it were silly to think otherwise.
And to finish:
Quote:
Go ahead. Blame injuries. But at some point, Pegula has to understand that his team is in dire need of an overhaul. He has a GM and a coach who have been joined at the hip since 1997. Larry Quinn hired Regier and Ruff and re-empowered them in his second term. As long as they're here, this remains Quinn's team.

Pegula is in denial. Spending to the cap doesn't guarantee a thing. People in the league are laughing at the Sabres. I said he should have fired Regier the minute he took over the team. He thought I was crazy. By keeping Regier, he lost a year in which he could have begun a genuine change in the culture.

The Sabres' problems go much deeper than injuries. Humpty Dumpty? Pegula needs different horses and men to put it back together again. For too long, the Sabres have been a reflection of their GM. Now, it starts to relect the owner.
I'm disgusted to be associated with this nonsense.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:59 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Read this when I got up. He's dead right on. The only thing people will have to Pegulas defense is that he has only been on the job 11 months. I don't blame the guy for writing this.

Man is crap gonna hit the fan if(when) this is more or less the same team next season.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:47 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Read this when I got up. He's dead right on. The only thing people will have to Pegulas defense is that he has only been on the job 11 months. I don't blame the guy for writing this.

Man is crap gonna hit the fan if(when) this is more or less the same team next season.
Yes, but IT'S NOT GOING TO BE.

Which is why people need to stop over-reacting and wait for things to unfold.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:52 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Jerry with another copy and paste effort.

Way to go.

And Jerry said that Regier should have been fired. I've never read that one before.....

And the Bills are in a better state than the Sabres?

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:08 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Yes, but IT'S NOT GOING TO BE.

Which is why people need to stop over-reacting and wait for things to unfold.
How can you be so sure?

I've got a wait and see attitude as long as Darcy and Lindy are in charge. Pegula made it well known he never fired anyone at his oil company and he has publicly backed them and considered them gods since day 1 so I find it hard to believe they are on their way out.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:20 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Even a diehard fan would have expected some level of dismay with the team's miserable first half.
Apparently he didn't listen to Pegula's interviews last week where he expressed clear and obvious dismay with the miserable first half.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:20 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
How can you be so sure?

I've got a wait and see attitude as long as Darcy and Lindy are in charge. Pegula made it well known he never fired anyone at his oil company and he has publicly backed them and considered them gods since day 1 so I find it hard to believe they are on their way out.
THIS IS A LIE. STOP REPEATING IT.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:22 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Apparently he didn't listen to Pegula's interviews last week where he expressed clear and obvious dismay with the miserable first half.
Why would Sully listen to and acknowledge something that conflicted with the basis for an easy cut and paste type rant against Regier and Ruff?

Old
01-16-2012, 06:24 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Why would Sully listen to and acknowledge something that conflicted with the basis for an easy cut and paste type rant against Regier and Ruff?
This is true. Not sure why I expected anything else.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
Sullivan catering to the "BLAME EVERYONE WHO MOVES" demographic.

What a tool.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:31 AM
CrankyJay

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Jerry with another copy and paste effort.

Way to go.

And Jerry said that Regier should have been fired. I've never read that one before.....

And the Bills are in a better state than the Sabres?

Sometimes I wonder if he goes on Schopp and the Bulldog to test out snarky lines for his articles.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

I haven't read the article. Did Sullivan mention how he called for Regier's firing "on the front page of the News" in February? He sure doesn't bring that up every single time he's on WGR....

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:52 AM
puckish66

Quote:
THIS IS A LIE. STOP REPEATING IT.
Do you know for a fact he fired someone?

I believe he said he never lost an employee in all those years. Probably had some good early GPS technology.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Jame
Dream '16

why does the fan base take so much offense to the criticism the franchise gets from the media?

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:03 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Do you know for a fact he fired someone?

I believe he said he never lost an employee in all those years. Probably had some good early GPS technology.
I know for a fact that it's impossible to build a company the size and value of East Resources, and run it for 27 years without firing a single person.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:04 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
why does the fan base take so much offense to the criticism the franchise gets from the media?
When it's inaccurate, I take offense.

Sullivan's statements are inaccurate.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:06 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
I haven't read the article. Did Sullivan mention how he called for Regier's firing "on the front page of the News" in February? He sure doesn't bring that up every single time he's on WGR....
Yup.

Here are the last two paragraphs:

Quote:
Pegula is in denial. Spending to the cap doesn't guarantee a thing. People in the league are laughing at the Sabres. I said he should have fired Regier the minute he took over the team. He thought I was crazy. By keeping Regier, he lost a year in which he could have begun a genuine change in the culture.

The Sabres' problems go much deeper than injuries. Humpty Dumpty? Pegula needs different horses and men to put it back together again. For too long, the Sabres have been a reflection of their GM. Now, it starts to relect the owner.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:10 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

These columnists have two goals in life.

- Creating controversy to sell papers.
- Doing everything they can to try and prove themselves right.

They're a pointless piece of the newspaper industry.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:11 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
I guess maybe the guys in Buffalo are exposed to it more and might get tired of the repetition?

Personally, just looking at what jBuds quoted, I don't see a lot to disagree with. I don't really watch or read or listen to any Buffalo media, but watching this team struggle yet again with many of the same flaws they've had for years is tough, and aggravating if not outright enraging. Combined with the high expectations coming into this year, and it's no surprise a lot of fans are unhappy.

And you can pick your poison when it comes to flaws, there are certainly plenty of options, even if everyone won't agree with all of them. Complacent GM, inept coaching, lack of center depth, unmotivated and underperforming forwards...

It's an opinion column, not investigative journalism. Why read it if you don't like the guy's opinions?

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
When it's inaccurate, I take offense.

Sullivan's statements are inaccurate.
the sabres suck... who cares about some tertiary facts about firing people.

the sabres suck. excuses are being made. and this dude is right, by keeping regier/ruff the sabres lost a year in which they could've started the culture change, retooled the team, etc

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:16 AM
puckish66

Quote:
While at the same time dishing out the same criticism? It's probably like any family. You can take shots at your family member, but if someone down the street does it, look out.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:16 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:

the sabres suck. excuses are being made. and this dude is right, by keeping regier/ruff the sabres lost a year in which they could've started the culture change, retooled the team, etc
And lost a chance to wipe the slate clean and start fresh. Whatever they do this offseason, that chance is gone. Even if they fire both Ruff and Regier, it won't make the same statement. Especially now that Pegula has gone on record saying Ruff isn't going anywhere.

Water under the bridge at this point, and I can understand wanting to evaluate things from the inside before making that type of big house-cleaning move. But I think it was a missed opportunity.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:17 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

It's a ****ing newspaper. I expect facts, even in opinion pieces.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:20 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
It's a ****ing newspaper. I expect facts, even in opinion pieces.
Wasn't the firing people thing from here, not the article?

Other than pretending that Pegula wasn't dismayed at the level of suck we've seen (which he obviously was), are there any other specific things in the article that were factually inaccurate? I didn't really see anything in the quotes from jBuds, but I didn't read the whole article.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
How can you be so sure?

The sooner you stop repeating this lie, the sooner you will gain a little credibility.

Quote:

So what will the excuse be once they're both fired and nothing changes by this time next year?

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote