HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres' Pegula needs action, not lame excuses

Old
01-16-2012, 04:09 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
It's funny, because it's so easy to see where most viewpoints from people in Buffalo come from. They read this ******** and spew it out as their own opinion. Sad, but kind of amusing at the same time.
Actually I think you have that completely backwards. Do you really think people still read newspapers?

Hell, this board alone probably influences as many people as an opinion column in a Buffalo newspaper.

If anything, the opinions originate here and other places where Sabres fans talk/*****/moan, and then get regurgitated by Bucky and the media.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

If the Sabres lose tonight they are officially behind last years team after 45 games.

The honeymoon is over.

SabresAreScaryGood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:14 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
But since Regier is sure to be on the trip as well, I bet you wouldn't

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Ted seemed to be fingering the tiered pricing system.
As an aside, that is a hold-over from the previous regime. It's also not like Sabre season ticket holders don't feather their nest with what rabid Leaf fans are willing to shell out for a couple of ducets to most Buds games here. There is demand and Sabre fans provide the majority of the supply.

Now back to parsing quotes and all that...

01-16-2012, 05:19 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
As an aside, that is a hold-over from the previous regime. It's also not like Sabre season ticket holders don't feather their nest with what rabid Leaf fans are willing to shell out for a couple of ducets to most Buds games here. There is demand and Sabre fans provide the majority of the supply.

Now back to parsing quotes and all that...
You know, it's not like there needs to be any parsing of quotes or use of semantics to try and find a reason to question or criticize Pegula.

He retained Darcy and Lindy. That's a very suspect first major move as owner. Especially since, based on these interviews, it appears as if the big "evaluation" of Darcy was a sham. No reading between the lines needed. When Terry was asked about July 1, 2007, he said he didn't know all the details of what went down, didn't ask anyone about it and felt it was time for Buffalo to "let it go."

So he comes in as owner and doesn't want to know if Darcy was responsible for the biggest player personnel disaster in franchise history, one from which it has never recovered?

OK. As the kids say... whatev.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry;
But I'm more optimistic about the immediate future of the Bills than the Sabres.
whoaaaa there, tiger

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:06 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
You know, it's not like there needs to be any parsing of quotes or use of semantics to try and find a reason to question or criticize Pegula.

He retained Darcy and Lindy.
That's a very suspect first major move as owner. Especially since, based on these interviews, it appears as if the big "evaluation" of Darcy was a sham. No reading between the lines needed. When Terry was asked about July 1, 2007, he said he didn't know all the details of what went down, didn't ask anyone about it and felt it was time for Buffalo to "let it go."

So he comes in as owner and doesn't want to know if Darcy was responsible for the biggest player personnel disaster in franchise history, one from which it has never recovered?

I like how you come out and say TRY to find a reason to question...

im not even sure that you can accurately say this in hindsight. Everything is based upon context and the context was that the team did very well after he bought them. He gave Darcy an opportunity to move with out shackles an d big moves were made which we all thought would improve the team. They even started very well. Then Lucic blew up their goalie and their psyche. Go ahead and look back with your biased history though.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:15 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
I like how you come out and say TRY to find a reason to question...

im not even sure that you can accurately say this in hindsight. Everything is based upon context and the context was that the team did very well after he bought them. He gave Darcy an opportunity to move with out shackles an d big moves were made which we all thought would improve the team. They even started very well. Then Lucic blew up their goalie and their psyche. Go ahead and look back with your biased history though.
Mean old Milan, spoiling all our fun.

I'll give Ted Black credit for this saying: In games that matter under Terry, the Sabres are 3-4.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Clock

Quote:
He retained Darcy and Lindy. That's a very suspect first major move as owner.
And firing them without seeing what they could potentially do without any financial restraints wouldn't be...?

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:35 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
And firing them without seeing what they could potentially do without any financial restraints wouldn't be...?
I guess we'll find out one of these days. I went into this season thinking there would be clarity on these issues and no more excuses. So much for that...

Old
01-16-2012, 08:40 PM
phantomlord

Let me state my bias right up front, I haven't been a fan of Regier or Ruff since day one of them being hired. Early on, I believed Ruff was a good technical coach, but not a very good head coach. Their early success, was, IMO, in large part due to the type of team that Muckler and Nolan had built. Also, while I live in western NY, I don't live in Buffalo and don't follow the Buffalo press at all.

That said, when Pegula bought the team, I was satisfied that he wanted to evaluate everything from top to bottom. I bought into the "Darcy just had his hands tied" stuff and figured I'd give him another year to see what he could do without Golisano's chains. I was happy with the moves on D but I felt he overpaid for Leino and that we still needed another real center, but, again, I was willing to give things a try.

I could probably spend an hour on all of the things I see Lindy doing that drives me nuts, ranging from juggling lines that are working to his goalie mismanagement to various plays he obviously coaches the team to do.

My only frustration with Pegula is that he seems to back these two so strongly. I'm sure he wants to win but loyalty is something for the fans, not something an owner should engage in (as a Redskins fan, I often have the exact opposite problem over there since Snyder isn't loyal to anyone, he just wants every hasbeen thinking it'll bring him glory).

But I'm ready for the evaluation to be over... I don't think we'll ever win a cup with either Regier or Ruff here. I think holding on to both is detrimental in the long term. Bringing in a new GM now could allow them to evaluate the talent we have first hand, giving him time to do what he thinks is best before the trade deadline when some of our dead weight will have the most value. Ruff can stay the rest of the year, but at this point, I think he's too secure and complacent and just doesn't have the hunger to motivate and inspire himself, much less the team, especially since he refuses to adjust his system to the players he has, trying to force his players to play in a way that isn't natural to them, which just furthers the demotivation.

That's really all I had to say... people can go back to bashing each other for having different opinions on what is best for the team we all want to see succeed (something lots of people seem to forget). I'll start by calling myself a Regier/Ruff hater if that helps everyone feel better.

phantomlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:55 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Anyone criticizing this article by Sully needs to first look up what a Columnist means, and then quit drinking from the barrel of ignorance. His points are valid. No one is questioning Pegulas will to win, but this team stinks and changes on ice or off need to be made. Not waiting until humpty is back together. Half the people on these boards ***** more than sully regularly about this team atleast Sully has the balls to put his REAL NAME behind his articles and stand by them!

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Lock3Boys
Ted's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourhuckleberry View Post
Anyone criticizing this article by Sully needs to first look up what a Columnist means, and then quit drinking from the barrel of ignorance. His points are valid. No one is questioning Pegulas will to win, but this team stinks and changes on ice or off need to be made. Not waiting until humpty is back together. Half the people on these boards ***** more than sully regularly about this team atleast Sully has the balls to put his REAL NAME behind his articles and stand by them!
Great name and great post!

Lock3Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:28 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
The problem is that it would appear that TBN only employs people who provide their opinion and pass it off as fact.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:33 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
The problem is that it would appear that TBN only employs people who provide their opinion and pass it off as fact.
Welcome to the world of Journalism.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:52 AM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by K McDude View Post
Great name and great post!
Is Bucky Gleason his actual name? I've in the broadcast journalism sphere and editors play with people's names to make them sound better for TV/print. Example: a college professor of mine had his last name "changed" from Ark to Clarke cause his editor felt his last name was "too short."

To be clear though, I'm not suggesting Bucky Gleason is a pen name for some anonymous sportswriter. Just curious if that's his actual name.

omglolnub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Clock

Quote:
Not to point out the obvious, but his opinions are completely fair game for criticism / mockery.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Kruschiki

The organizational culture issue that I see is that there is nothing motivating the players to play harder. The combination of contracts and no-trade management, along with absolutely no power for the coach to take away ice time for poor performance is contributing to their issues. This team should be able to hobble along at .500 during these injuries with the veterans and talent they have, but they aren't.

All this has player value on this team at an all time low, a position in which Regeir is not able to operate. When you push DR to operate out of his comfort zone, you end up with contracts like Leino and Erhoff. Pushing him now will lead to a bad trade. So the only option is to let Regeir operate in his comfort zone, which means no trades until his players value increases (trade deadline), or you fire him, admit that this team isn't going anywhere, and rebuild. The problem with the rebuild idea is that you need to work with the long-term contracts. How many of us want Miller, Leino, Stafford and Erhoff as the core in which to build around?

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:18 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
The organizational culture issue that I see is that there is nothing motivating the players to play harder. The combination of contracts and no-trade management, along with absolutely no power for the coach to take away ice time for poor performance is contributing to their issues. This team should be able to hobble along at .500 during these injuries with the veterans and talent they have, but they aren't.

All this has player value on this team at an all time low, a position in which Regeir is not able to operate. When you push DR to operate out of his comfort zone, you end up with contracts like Leino and Erhoff. Pushing him now will lead to a bad trade. So the only option is to let Regeir operate in his comfort zone, which means no trades until his players value increases (trade deadline), or you fire him, admit that this team isn't going anywhere, and rebuild. The problem with the rebuild idea is that you need to work with the long-term contracts. How many of us want Miller, Leino, Stafford and Erhoff as the core in which to build around?
The motivating factor should be trading them away or benching them, but Darcy is either reluctant to let any of his babies go or he's too difficult of a GM to deal with. As for benching...that's on Lindy to decide. If the team is going to suck you may as well scratch some of the underperforming players and call up your AHLers for some good experience.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:21 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

He retained Darcy and Lindy. That's a very suspect first major move as owner. Especially since, based on these interviews, it appears as if the big "evaluation" of Darcy was a sham. No reading between the lines needed. When Terry was asked about July 1, 2007, he said he didn't know all the details of what went down, didn't ask anyone about it and felt it was time for Buffalo to "let it go."

God forbid someone spends almost $200M of his own money and wants to do his own evaluation of his employees.

Frankly, the man was right. Too many people are still hung up on Drury/Briere. Yes, it sucked. But it's been long enough. Drury isn't even in the league anymore!!

Let it go is right.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:22 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
The motivating factor should be trading them away or benching them, but Darcy is either reluctant to let any of his babies go or he's too difficult of a GM to deal with. As for benching...that's on Lindy to decide. If the team is going to suck you may as well scratch some of the underperforming players and call up your AHLers for some good experience.
There's this little thing call the salary cap. Ruff can't put healthy players in the press box to get kids some ice time. They don't have the room.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:23 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
Is Bucky Gleason his actual name? I've in the broadcast journalism sphere and editors play with people's names to make them sound better for TV/print. Example: a college professor of mine had his last name "changed" from Ark to Clarke cause his editor felt his last name was "too short."

To be clear though, I'm not suggesting Bucky Gleason is a pen name for some anonymous sportswriter. Just curious if that's his actual name.
I know Bucky and I know he wouldn't mind if revealed that his birth name is Bucky Gleasonski.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:24 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
There's this little thing call the salary cap. Ruff can't put healthy players in the press box to get kids some ice time. They don't have the room.
No need to be rude.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:26 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
No need to be rude.
That wasn't rude.

If I was being rude, it would be very obvious.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:27 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
That wasn't rude.

If I was being rude, it would be very obvious.
Sounds like a threat. I bet you're a real tough guy.