Notices

Re-sign Harding

Old
01-16-2012, 04:49 AM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

vCash: 50
Re-sign Harding

Unless the Wild are wow'd by a trade offer, am I the only one who wants this guy resigned for at least a couple years? Keeping Harding gives Hackett another year down in Houston while Backstrom's contract comes to an end. I think Harding can be the #1 and he will be a relatively cheap resigning. Idk I just don't want Hackett handed the reigns too early. He needs to earn the job and he should be getting tons of experience in Houston and then be backup for 1 or 2 years. Don't know where the other goalie prospects fit though.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:52 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
Unless the Wild are wow'd by a trade offer, am I the only one who wants this guy resigned for at least a couple years? Keeping Harding gives Hackett another year down in Houston while Backstrom's contract comes to an end. I think Harding can be the #1 and he will be a relatively cheap resigning. Idk I just don't want Hackett handed the reigns too early. He needs to earn the job and he should be getting tons of experience in Houston and then be backup for 1 or 2 years. Don't know where the other goalie prospects fit though.
Honestly I think we need to either resign Harding and move Backs or move Harding.

I think Hackett is ready to come up as a backup. There really is not much for him to accomplish down in Houston. He's seemed very very solid when hes played up here. Hell, I think Russo said its like the guy feeds off pressure under fire situations, and I think I agree with him.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:12 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
If the Wild were still going to be in the mix for a playoff spot I would have been in favor of re-signing him. But now it's not likely they'll be there so I think you've got to see what they can get for him. The only problem with that is there really isn't many suitors out there so I doubt they could fetch much of any significance. I think a second round pick may even be pushing it. A team like Tampa, for instance, could use them but if you're them way even bother right now? May as well just wait until he hits the market.

If the team has to hold onto to him given the lack of a market I think they should explore options to keep him on. If they could find a way to get him back at 2-3 years and around $3m per, that's probably a decent option to bridge the gap going to a more split scenario next season, Harding starting full time the year after, and working Hackett into the eventual starter role.

It'll all come down to what Harding wants to do and just how much the Wild will be willing to spend, if at all. I could see them wanting him back but am not positive. Harding will have a few options as a free agent but I can't imagine a team breaking the bank for him given his history...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think it's time to see what Hackett has splitting duty with Backstrom. I personally think Harding's the better goalie but Hackett is the guy of the future and Harding has much more value.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:48 AM
nickschultzfan

Move Backstrom. Re-sign Harding.

I think Harding will always be a streaky starter, but Hackey he would be a solid enough goalie tandem.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:09 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Hardings time here is up. he could make more elsewhere...probably as a 1A/1B tandem with an established but lesser skilled starter until he gets his legs under him. Let him make his money. Hack will be alright.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:15 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Hardings time here is up. he could make more elsewhere...probably as a 1A/1B tandem with an established but lesser skilled starter until he gets his legs under him. Let him make his money. Hack will be alright.
This. Don't be surprised to see Tampy make a move I think. Possibly even Chicago

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:18 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

At this point, trade Harding. It's unfortunate that goalies have little trade value but he's not a long-term solution between the pipes and after trading Burns for Setoguchi, Coyle and Phillips who else has actual trade value that wasn't acquired in the last eight months?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:21 PM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

I wish we could keep both backy and hardy keeping hacky in housty.

But most likely he'll get traded for a 2nd/3rd or tests the market as a FA

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:27 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
This. Don't be surprised to see Tampy make a move I think. Possibly even Chicago
I don't think Fletcher will make a trade with Chicago again unless it's to claim one of their top prospects...

Yeah, I typed that with a straight face...

Chicago's cupboards are bare. The IceHogs are barely an ECHL talent level team.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:38 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I don't think Fletcher will make a trade with Chicago again unless it's to claim one of their top prospects...

Yeah, I typed that with a straight face...

Chicago's cupboards are bare. The IceHogs are barely an ECHL talent level team.

I doubt you typed that with a straight face

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:45 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I doubt you typed that with a straight face
Gah. busted. No. I didn't...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:02 PM
saywut

If we re-sign Harding we'd have to move Backstrom, and I just don't see the market for a 34(in February) year old goalie with a 6M contract for 1 year, who's been outplayed by his back-up the last 2 years and has had nagging injuries.

Matt Hackett needs to be given a legit(25+ starts) NHL look in 2012-13 if we're serious about him being our #1 in 13-14 when Backstrom's contract is up. Need to know how aggressive we need to be for Hackett's partner in net for the 13-14 season and beyond. Need to know what kind of contract we should be negotiating with Hackett for 2013-14 and beyond. A 3rd similar season in Houston does nothing in the evaluation process. We need to know what he can do in front of this team in the NHL, a couple games tells us very little.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:15 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Move Backstrom. Re-sign Harding.

I think Harding will always be a streaky starter, but Hackey he would be a solid enough goalie tandem.
Agreed

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Backstrom has no trade value. We could potentially get a quality guy for Harding, but for Backs we might have to add or waive and buy him out.

Old
01-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Mancini79

Send a message via MSN to Mancini79 Send a message via Yahoo to Mancini79
Backstrom to TB for Ryan Malone?

Seems like a good deal for both clubs. I personally think Harding should be our starter. I'm sure a lot would disagree with getting Malone in return, but Backs is way overpaid and we need a power forward capable of scoring once in a while almost as much as we need a Center right now. Would love to just go after Parise now and get it over with. Would love to get Bobby Ryan here otherwise. I'm just not sure what one would offer for either.

Mancini79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:16 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini79 View Post
Seems like a good deal for both clubs. I personally think Harding should be our starter. I'm sure a lot would disagree with getting Malone in return, but Backs is way overpaid and we need a power forward capable of scoring once in a while almost as much as we need a Center right now. Would love to just go after Parise now and get it over with. Would love to get Bobby Ryan here otherwise. I'm just not sure what one would offer for either.
I prefer Backstrom + Latendresse to Malone + Harding. Sure Malone + Harding might be ~1M cheaper for next year, but they'd be on the books for years, while Backs/Lats would be off the books after next season.

There's just not much in Tampa that interests me that would could get for one of our goalies. Doubt we could get Ashton and Connolly's not possible. Panik's starting to pick up his play in Norfolk but he's nothing special. Barberio's got nice numbers but you'd have to wonder if he's as good as those numbers indicate 1) why isn't he up with Tampa and 2) he's unlikely to be dealt. Gudas would probably get some people excited here for his aggressiveness, but he's got limited upside. Russians, we don't want them.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:26 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

malone has how many years left at a $4.5 cap hit? Now, how many does backstrom have left? Horrible idea. I bet someone who thinks this was a good idea also thought Rolston's deal in NJ was a good one for the devils.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:38 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Malone wouldn't waive his NTC to come here but he's the type of guy I would be fine getting for the right price.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Mancini79

Send a message via MSN to Mancini79 Send a message via Yahoo to Mancini79
Quote:
malone has how many years left at a $4.5 cap hit? Now, how many does backstrom have left? Horrible idea. I bet someone who thinks this was a good idea also thought Rolston's deal in NJ was a good one for the devils.
Nice constructive criticism and false generalizations. What would you do Cliff Claven?

Mancini79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:49 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Malone wouldn't waive his NTC to come here but he's the type of guy I would be fine getting for the right price.
what price would that be for a $4.5 million cap hit the next three seasons?

Old
01-16-2012, 05:52 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
There's just not much in Tampa that interests me that would could get for one of our goalies.
Bouchard - Granlund - St. Louis

Smallest line ever..??

W75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Malone would be a great replacement for Lats...not as good a goal scorer but not as injury prone. I'd be all about it. Harding or Backstrom for Malone.

Realistically the team can't count on Lats or Bouchard long term. And even though they have 70 or 80 forward prospects, you might want one or two vets mixed in.

He's $4.5m for three seasons after this year...but on the plus side his actual cash salary is about half that. So that's another bonus for an owner who may or may not be holding Fletch back financially.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:56 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Nice constructive criticism and false generalizations. What would you do Cliff Claven?
Oh, I'm sorry. How is it possible to be constructive about this? Malone is an aging, oft-broken player who has multiple years left on a $4.5 million dollar cap hit. It isn't a good idea. What would I do? I would refuse a deal that saw Malone coming our way unless there was a like cap hit going back. Especially if we are going to be hunting for big-name Free Agents or trying to pick up players in trades who bring with them significant salaries.

The similarities to Rolston's situation are obvious, but you can swap in injuries for the years Rolston has over Malone. A lot of people here were willing to give Rolston a contract similar to the one he got in Jersey at the time (maybe one year less) which would have still ended up completely stupid.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:56 PM
saywut

Quote:
what price would that be for a $4.5 million cap hit the next three seasons?
Well if Tampa was stupid enough to take Schultz for Malone, sign me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Malone would be a great replacement for Lats...not as good a goal scorer but not as injury prone. I'd be all about it. Harding or Backstrom for Malone.

Realistically the team can't count on Lats or Bouchard long term. And even though they have 70 or 80 forward prospects, you might want one or two vets mixed in.

He's $4.5m for three seasons after this year...but on the plus side his actual cash salary is about half that. So that's another bonus for an owner who may or may not be holding Fletch back financially.
I don't believe Leipold's holding Fletcher back. If he was, I agree this would make sense with the salary dropping. But because I don't believe Leipold's holding Fletcher back, I don't want Malone and his 4.5M cap-hit for the next 3 years to score 20-25 goals.