HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anyone attend Portsmouth Hockey School in the 1970's?

Old
02-04-2011, 06:23 PM
SealsFan

vCash: 500
Anyone attend Portsmouth Hockey School in the 1970's?

Portsmouth Hockey School was a summer hockey camp held at Portsmouth Abbey in Rhode Island. I saw their ad in the Hockey News and wound up attending with two friends in 1972 and '73 when I was 14/15 years old. We only went for a week but wished I could have gone for 4 weeks or even the whole summer like some kids.

Somewhere I still have my report cards, graded by 1963 Cornell goalie Laing Kennedy, who was the goalie instructor:
http://www.cleveland.com/sports/coll...g_after_d.html

I think I also have my red jersey (made of durene, not polyester!) but never got a jacket because they were out of them when I was there.

One thing I'll always remember is that the goalies didn't get to dress at the rink. Goalies had their own locker facilities in a separate building on the other side of the campus!!! So you would put your pants, socks, chest/arm protector and jersey on, then haul your leg pads, gloves, mask, stick and skates across the campus in the summer heat, running like a lunatic because there was only 15 minutes between sessions to get suited up. If you tried a shortcut across the lawn and a counselor caught you, you'd be made to drop and do 50 pushups on the spot!!

Great times!

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:44 AM
SealsFan

vCash: 500
bump

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote