HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garrioch: Regier wants to get bigger - Roy being shopped

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2012, 10:41 AM
  #1
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,111
vCash: 500
Garrioch: Regier wants to get bigger - Roy being shopped

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19245191.html

Quote:
RUMOURS DU JOUR

Keep an eye on Buffalo C Derek Roy because his name is popping up all over the place in trade talk. League sources say GM Darcy Regier believes the Sabres need to get bigger and might be offering up Roy. The 28-year-old, 5-foot-9 Roy, who has a cap hit of $4 million, is on the books through the 2012-13 season. The Ottawa native has struggled this season, putting up only eight goals and 16 assists in 41 games. Regier will only make a move if he can get a centre in return. The Blackhawks are looking for help in the middle and may show interest. The landscape in Buffalo has changed because owner Terry Pegula isnít spending money to miss the playoffs, he wants a Stanley Cup ...
I wonder how the Blackhawks would fit with what Regier would want to do here?

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:46 AM
  #2
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Hanzal. Despite the fact that he isn't very hot right now.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:48 AM
  #3
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Hanzal. Despite the fact that he isn't very hot right now.
Since when did Hanzal move from Phoenix to Chicago?


WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:50 AM
  #4
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Since when did Hanzal move from Phoenix to Chicago?

Just because Chicago needs help at center doesn't mean that's the only team they should consider trading him too. Jeeez open your mind dude.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:54 AM
  #5
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Just because Chicago needs help at center doesn't mean that's the only team they should consider trading him too. Jeeez open your mind dude.
Hanzal is a roll of the dice that I wouldn't give up Roy to make.

Besides, he's still on the shelf with a broken face, so I doubt he's a guy that the Sabres are looking at right now.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:59 AM
  #6
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 17,805
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Hanzal. Despite the fact that he isn't very hot right now.
Hanzal is a good 3rd line option. However, Phoenix just inked him to a 5 year contract extension. I'd rather get a top prospect like Hodgson for him if I had a choice.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:05 AM
  #7
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Hanzal is a good 3rd line option. However, Phoenix just inked him to a 5 year contract extension. I'd rather get a top prospect like Hodgson for him if I had a choice.
My dream would be prying Couture out of SJ.

But, Hodgson is a guy that I'd love to get for Roy, too.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:11 AM
  #8
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Hanzal is a roll of the dice that I wouldn't give up Roy to make.

Besides, he's still on the shelf with a broken face, so I doubt he's a guy that the Sabres are looking at right now.

If they think they can find a guy who would become a solid scoring line center within a couple years, for Roy, then I agree with you. But don't you think that's actually more of a gamble then Hanzal? The face is pretty far from the heart for one thing. Also, Hanzal is a safe bet to be a strong 3rd line center for years to come. Possibly even elite in that role, cap friendly, and not at all out of place on a scoring line for limited sprints. You need a guy who can stop the ECs top centers, so he's a safe gain IMO. People will be mad that he doesn't score enough, but that's okay they will find a guy in the draft this year.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:11 AM
  #9
SabresBillsBuffalo
Registered User
 
SabresBillsBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 3,476
vCash: 500
The fact is that we need a move NOW. Guys were slipping further and further out. Stafford can go too for all I care.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:14 AM
  #10
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,581
vCash: 500
I would do backflips for Hanzal. An elite checking line center with latent offensive potential would do so much for this roster.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:21 AM
  #11
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,025
vCash: 500
Hanzel a 1st round (17th overall) Pick. He is 6'5'' 220 lbs. I would love to have this guy! He has huge potential! Just look at how well Turris is doing in Ottawa. 1st round pick players have the potential, just have to unlock it. That's the scary part, leaving him in Ruffs hands, who doesn't have much luck developing all star players aside from Vanek. Either way we need a shake up for sure. The only thing is....his point production is no where close to what Derek Roy was giving us the last few years.

I think people are forgetting that Roy is a 60-80 point 2nd line center for the majority of his career. This should bring back more then Hanzel....Roy/Stafford/1st should bring us Getzlaf in terms of value (But it won't)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...njrp3af5NivLYF

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:22 AM
  #12
barcs
Registered User
 
barcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,956
vCash: 500
Admittedly, I don't know Hanzal beyond a general knowledge of his body of work so I must ask about his trade value.

Would Roy for Hanzal + pick/mid-level prospect be an option or is he that elite of checking line center that Buffalo would have to give up more?

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:25 AM
  #13
sabres19892
Registered User
 
sabres19892's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
Bolland and Frolik are The ony two Centers I could maybe see them trading away

sabres19892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:30 AM
  #14
SirRocko
Registered User
 
SirRocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabres19892 View Post
Bolland and Frolik are The ony two Centers I could maybe see them trading away
You don't think a team in a "win now" mindset with the insane center depth organizationally that they have would be willing to trade away any of their center prospects? Kruger... Pirri....McNeil...

SirRocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:33 AM
  #15
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRocko View Post
You don't think a team in a "win now" mindset with the insane center depth organizationally that they have would be willing to trade away any of their center prospects? Kruger... Pirri....McNeil...
Roy for Pirri, Saad, 2nd......

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:35 AM
  #16
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
Admittedly, I don't know Hanzal beyond a general knowledge of his body of work so I must ask about his trade value.

Would Roy for Hanzal + pick/mid-level prospect be an option or is he that elite of checking line center that Buffalo would have to give up more?
Considering the physical nature of the game, I think Hanzal has more stock over Roy due to the enormous difference in stature and he's also 4 years younger. Hanzal is more cap friendly for this year and beyond. Especially after next year when Roy figures to get 1-2 million more per year if he can regain his scoring touch.

ON the other hand, Roy has an enormous edge in talent. Both players are equally fast but Roy is far more shifty and quick for obvious reasons. Roy is a way better shooter and puck handler. Hanzal isn't bad, he's every bit as good as Jordan Staal but with a lot less hype. Would you trade Roy for J. Staal? Of course you would.

Because the Yotes desperately need more skill at center, I think they would sweeten the deal slightly. Roy has about twice as much point potential and he's in his prime years, so the Sabres could get a mid range DP or maybe a package deal for prospect.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:45 AM
  #17
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Considering the physical nature of the game, I think Hanzal has more stock over Roy due to the enormous difference in stature and he's also 4 years younger. Hanzal is more cap friendly for this year and beyond. Especially after next year when Roy figures to get 1-2 million more per year if he can regain his scoring touch.

ON the other hand, Roy has an enormous edge in talent. Both players are equally fast but Roy is far more shifty and quick for obvious reasons. Roy is a way better shooter and puck handler. Hanzal isn't bad, he's every bit as good as Jordan Staal but with a lot less hype. Would you trade Roy for J. Staal? Of course you would.

Because the Yotes desperately need more skill at center, I think they would sweeten the deal slightly. Roy has about twice as much point potential and he's in his prime years, so the Sabres could get a mid range DP or maybe a package deal for prospect.
I wouldn't be overly thrilled with trading Roy straight up for a center that has never hit 50 pts in a season despite being in the NHL for 4 or 5 seasons.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:48 AM
  #18
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 17,805
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I wouldn't be overly thrilled with trading Roy straight up for a center that has never hit 50 pts in a season despite being in the NHL for 4 or 5 seasons.
...and locked up for 5 more years at 3.1 million.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:56 AM
  #19
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 19,985
vCash: 500
If we want to upgrade our first line center, then we're almost certainly going to need Roy to do it to replace whomever we'd potentially take in a trade.

In that regard, I'm hesitant to "waste" Roy on Hanzal - this team needs scoring.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:58 AM
  #20
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,608
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I would do backflips for Hanzal. An elite checking line center with latent offensive potential would do so much for this roster.
Roy for McNeill and _____ ?

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:02 PM
  #21
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS
 
drinking bleach irl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 11,117
vCash: 300
slam.canoe.ca ?

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:04 PM
  #22
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,608
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
slam.canoe.ca ?
Yes and it's Garrioch, so that's two strikes. But hey, it does beat reading through "Ruff/Regier/PlayerX Suck!" threads...

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:07 PM
  #23
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Roy for McNeill and _____ ?
Roy, Gaustad, and Leopold
for
Bolland, McNeil, 1st

?

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:10 PM
  #24
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
If we want to upgrade our first line center, then we're almost certainly going to need Roy to do it to replace whomever we'd potentially take in a trade.

In that regard, I'm hesitant to "waste" Roy on Hanzal - this team needs scoring.
Hanzal gives it to us in a roundabout fashion because he would significantly reduce the defensive responsibilities of every other forward line.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:16 PM
  #25
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,608
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Roy, Gaustad, and Leopold
for
Bolland, McNeil, 1st

?
Not sure if the Hawks would include Bolland as well. The idea would be to have Toews-Roy-Bolland down the middle and let Sharp work on the wing. But hey, it never hurts to ask, right?

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.