HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Garrioch: Regier wants to get bigger - Roy being shopped

Old
01-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19245191.html

The landscape in Buffalo has changed because owner Terry Pegula isnít spending money to miss the playoffs, he wants a Stanley Cup ...
FWIW, from this TV interview Pegula did with WGRZ in Buffalo, he said that he expects the Sabres to make a run and "knock out" one of the teams presently in the top 8 - meaning, he at least expects a playoff team. He may be willing to accept the present record because of the injury argument but it sounds like missing the playoffs won't be as easily accepted by him.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/150...-Cable-Dispute

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
If we want to upgrade our first line center, then we're almost certainly going to need Roy to do it to replace whomever we'd potentially take in a trade.

In that regard, I'm hesitant to "waste" Roy on Hanzal - this team needs scoring.
Amen!

For all his flaws, Roy isn't worth dumping just for the "addition by subtraction" rule some may claim (unlike the Connolly campaigns of the past). The Sabres don't have enough depth at center to deal their only proven offensively-skilled center at the moment for a defensive center or another position, unless they've got another deal in place for a center using a different asset(s) i.e. Stafford, etc.

Last edited by Sabretip: 01-16-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old
01-16-2012, 12:41 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Hanzal is a roll of the dice that I wouldn't give up Roy to make.

Besides, he's still on the shelf with a broken face, so I doubt he's a guy that the Sabres are looking at right now.
Then he'd fit right in with this years team, no?

Kidding aside, this article is probably just stemming off the report from last week and pure obviousness (is that a word) that we have no centers.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Blitz
Reinhart & Soul

Call Rutherford twice every day until he agrees to deal Eric Staal -

To

C Derek Roy ($4M)
C Luke Adam ($875K)
RW Drew Stafford ($4M)
D Mark Pysyk ($900K)
2012 2nd RND pick [CGY]

Skinner-Roy-Stafford
Poni-Jokinen-Ruutu
Adam-Sutter-LaRose
Tlusty-Brent-Stewart
X. Sutter

(Mark Pysyk)

To

C Eric Staal ($8.25M)
C Victor Rask ($743K)

Vanek-Staal-Pominville
Ennis-Leino-Kassian
Gerbe-Hecht-Boyes
Ellis-Gaustad-Kaleta/McCormick
X. Tropp

(Rask)

Then we need to trade with CLB (Sekera/Leopold/Weber/Grags) for Brassard/Vermette to play 2nd line C.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:17 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post

To

C Derek Roy ($4M)
C Luke Adam ($875K)
RW Drew Stafford ($4M)
D Mark Pysyk ($900K)
2012 2nd RND pick [CGY]

Skinner-Roy-Stafford
Poni-Jokinen-Ruutu
Adam-Sutter-LaRose
Tlusty-Brent-Stewart
X. Sutter

(Mark Pysyk)

To

C Eric Staal ($8.25M)
C Victor Rask ($743K)

Vanek-Staal-Pominville
Ennis-Leino-Kassian
Gerbe-Hecht-Boyes
X. Tropp

(Rask)

Then we need to trade with CLB (Sekera/Leopold/Weber/Grags) for Brassard/Vermette to play 2nd line C.
Too good to be true.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Selanne00008

I agree with the whole Roy is worth more than Hanzal. It would have to be Hanzal + _____. Roy has hit 80 points and is a PPG center. They don't grow on trees. Also, Jordan Staa and Hanzal are not #1 centers. We would be trading away our only talent down the middle for a checking role. Roy is worth more to us simply because he's our only talent.

It's a tough situation. Pegula may put pressure to get to the playoffs. Which means not giving up any roster players unless significantly improving on that same position. So, giving up Roy is really not an option for Pegula right??

But, if we are sellers then we are sellers. We shouldn't be buying at the deadline if we are 8 points out. It just seems foolish. Something the Leafs would do to make their coorporate sponsors happy or something. We should all agree with that right? We should really dump Roy for top prospects(or Stafford or wheoever for that matter). And I don't mean draft picks. I would prefer near NHL ready. For example, any centers drafted in 1st/2nd round from the last couple years that are close?

I would prefer to keep Roy. He is still on the books on a steal of a contract for another year. Dump anyone else not named Myers or Vanek for another center. Start out fresh in 2012-2013 with this new name + Roy as your top 6 centers.

Question is: If Pegula goes to Darcy and we are 9 points out at the deadline and says improve the roster, and Darcy tells Pegula I really think we ought to call this season a wash and improve for next year(and years beyond), does Pegula even listen??

Last edited by Selanne00008: 01-16-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: comment
Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
I wouldn't be overly thrilled with trading Roy straight up for a center that has never hit 50 pts in a season despite being in the NHL for 4 or 5 seasons.
Jordan Staal never hit 50 but everybody loves him, pretty much the same player except that Hanzal actually plays bigger. hey if they can get better than Hanzal then please do!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Hank Moody
Easy, but not sleazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Hanzal is a good 3rd line option. However, Phoenix just inked him to a 5 year contract extension. I'd rather get a top prospect like Hodgson for him if I had a choice.
If we have to get a C from Vancouver, how about going for Kesler?

He's seriously everything Buffalo needs in a center.

Hank Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Roy for Pirri, Saad, 2nd......
If we're trading Roy to Chicago, we need at least two of Kruger, McNeill, and Pirri coming back. Trading one established center for one prospect center doesn't do much for us. If we could get two of those guys, and then add Galchenyuk or Gaunce through the draft, our center pipeline begins looking a tad better.

Also, no interest in Saad. We don't need another enigmatic RWer who relies almost exclusively on his shot to score goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Roy, Gaustad, and Leopold
for
Bolland, McNeil, 1st

?
I've been thinking about the Roy-to-Blackhawks possibility for a little while, and I keep coming back to the question of whether the Sabres even like McNeill. Knowing how bad our center pipeline is, they still passed on him at #16 in favor of another RW, our deepest forward position. Now, they may have had Armia ranked as a top-10 pick and felt the value was too good to pass on at #16, but it's equally likely they may not have had a very high opinion of McNeill.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:03 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
If we're trading Roy to Chicago, we need at least two of Kruger, McNeill, and Pirri coming back. Trading one established center for one prospect center doesn't do much for us. If we could get two of those guys, and then add Galchenyuk or Gaunce through the draft, our center pipeline begins looking a tad better.

Also, no interest in Saad. We don't need another enigmatic RWer who relies almost exclusively on his shot to score goals.

Agreed, and personally, I don't want Pirri. Roy for Kruger and McNeill.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Why? I can't imagine any of us have seen him too much. He's putting up pretty impressive numbers in the AHL as a 20-year-old. He's putting up Adam-type numbers, and he's a natural center. Most reports I've read about him have his ceiling as a 2C--that's fine, not everyone can be a 1C--or, worst case, a good 3C because he's committed to playing both sides of the puck.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:19 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
That's the scary part, leaving him in Ruffs hands, who doesn't have much luck developing all star players aside from Vanek.
Vanek is succeeding despite Ruff.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Slapshot85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post

To

C Derek Roy ($4M)
C Luke Adam ($875K)
RW Drew Stafford ($4M)
D Mark Pysyk ($900K)
2012 2nd RND pick [CGY]

Skinner-Roy-Stafford
Poni-Jokinen-Ruutu
Adam-Sutter-LaRose
Tlusty-Brent-Stewart
X. Sutter

(Mark Pysyk)

To

C Eric Staal ($8.25M)
C Victor Rask ($743K)

Vanek-Staal-Pominville
Ennis-Leino-Kassian
Gerbe-Hecht-Boyes
X. Tropp

(Rask)

Trading dimes and quarters won't get you dollars. If you want a superstar player like Stall or Getzalf, you need to give up a "star" of about equal caliber (or one that has unlimited potential of being one). Anaheim wants Myers for Getzalf.

Slapshot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:20 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot85 View Post
Trading dimes and quarters won't get you dollars. If you want a superstar player like Stall or Getzalf, you need to give up a "star" of about equal caliber (or one that has unlimited potential of being one). Anaheim wants Myers for Getzalf.
Not that you are wrong here, but the bolded statement is pure speculation based on the opinion of Sullivan.
No one knows what Anaheim would or would not except in a trade for Getzlaf or Ryan other than Pegula and his management team, which includes Regier and Ruff.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:28 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Not that you are wrong here, but the bolded statement is pure speculation based on the opinion of Sullivan.
No one knows what Anaheim would or would not except in a trade for Getzlaf or Ryan other than Pegula and his management team, which includes Regier and Ruff.
I believe it was Paul Hamilton who speculated that it would take Tyler Myers to get Getzlaf not Jerry Sullivan

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:52 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
I believe it was Paul Hamilton who speculated that it would take Tyler Myers to get Getzlaf not Jerry Sullivan
Bingo.

Paul Hamilton knows what the ducks are asking for just as much as we do.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:55 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Hanzal for Roy would be incredible but I am sure Phoenix isnt dumb enough to do it....

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:35 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
Hanzal for Roy would be incredible but I am sure Phoenix isnt dumb enough to do it....
Well...they didn't know what they had in Briere. One can dream.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Zip15

Hanzal would be a good fit for this team, but not at the expense of Roy. Regardless, it's a moot conversation given that he's arguably Tippett's favorite player and they just re-signed him.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
Bingo.

Paul Hamilton knows what the ducks are asking for just as much as we do.
FWIW, in a WGR interview (either a post-game or one of the morning shows) recently, Hamilton said in no uncertain terms that he knows the Ducks asked for Myers when the Sabres asked about Getzlaf. He didn't cite any sources but he dismissed it as just being a theory or guess on his part.

What he did speculate on was the Sabres' reaction, thinking that they had no interest in trading Myers.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:43 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
Well...they didn't know what they had in Briere. One can dream.
Mike Barnett was the Yotes GM at the time of that trade.

Don Maloney is the Yotes GM today.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Slapshot85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
FWIW, in a WGR interview (either a post-game or one of the morning shows) recently, Hamilton said in no uncertain terms that he knows the Ducks asked for Myers when the Sabres asked about Getzlaf. He didn't cite any sources but he dismissed it as just being a theory or guess on his part.

What he did speculate on was the Sabres' reaction, thinking that they had no interest in trading Myers.
Even if it was speculation, I think any team that wants Getzlaf, or any superstar-caliber player, will have to give up something of equal (or pretty damn near close to it) value. Throw in teams that may be looking for that final piece, they may be willing to give up a big bounty to get him. Let me ask you this, why would Anaheim or Carolina want to give up a Getzlaf, Ryan, or Stall for the Derek Roys, Drew Staffords, or Ryan Millers?

Slapshot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Hanzal. Despite the fact that he isn't very hot right now.
I weep at the fact that a fantastic Zoolander reference went straight over everyone's head. Nice one sir.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
I weep at the fact that a fantastic Zoolander reference went straight over everyone's head. Nice one sir.

lol I was thinking that more than a few people got it, but they were just playing it cool. Thanks!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabres19892 View Post
Bolland and Frolik are The ony two Centers I could maybe see them trading away
Frolik plays RW/LW on 3rd line

Bolland I cant see being moved unless maybe in summer ,,, But Bolland thrives in April-June

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRocko View Post
You don't think a team in a "win now" mindset with the insane center depth organizationally that they have would be willing to trade away any of their center prospects? Kruger... Pirri....McNeil...
I would say Pirri (AHL Allstar this year) is available

With Kruger on NHL roster and Hayes/McNeill in pipelin I think Pirri is sorta stuck in a a situation were he is not a fit for Hawks longterm plans despite his strong play

Quote:
Roy for Pirri, Saad, 2nd......
Saad is going nowhere ,, If he did get traded it would be in package for much better player then Roy

Saad is Hawks best prospect and after his play in camp/preseason and OHL this year he has very strong shot to start next season back on Hawks roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Roy for McNeill and _____ ?
Doubt Bowman wants to trade Mcneill as he is high on him. If he does trade him not sure it would be for Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Roy, Gaustad, and Leopold
for
Bolland, McNeil, 1st

?
Hawks overpay badly there IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Not sure if the Hawks would include Bolland as well. The idea would be to have Toews-Roy-Bolland down the middle and let Sharp work on the wing. But hey, it never hurts to ask, right?
This

Hawks would likely role with

Stalberg-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Roy-Hossa
?-Bolland-Kruger

? = Hopefully an upgrade in trade or a guy like Andrew Shaw

Quote:

I've been thinking about the Roy-to-Blackhawks possibility for a little while, and I keep coming back to the question of whether the Sabres even like McNeill. Knowing how bad our center pipeline is, they still passed on him at #16 in favor of another RW, our deepest forward position. Now, they may have had Armia ranked as a top-10 pick and felt the value was too good to pass on at #16, but it's equally likely they may not have had a very high opinion of McNeill.
No way the Hawks move 2 of those 3 for Derek Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Never gonna happen. Hawks are not gonna throw away C depth for a guy with injury history/struggling this year and only 1 1/2 years left on deal. Roy would solve our #2 C needs shorterm but gutting our C depth is not an option in system

Quote:
Why? I can't imagine any of us have seen him too much. He's putting up pretty impressive numbers in the AHL as a 20-year-old. He's putting up Adam-type numbers, and he's a natural center. Most reports I've read about him have his ceiling as a 2C--that's fine, not everyone can be a 1C--or, worst case, a good 3C because he's committed to playing both sides of the puck.
Pirri already has an NHL ready offensive game. He is in AHL improving his defense the area he needs work on

Pirri was great in preseason/camp and it was down to him or Saad at end of Camp but it came down to the fact Saad's defensive game is better at this point in time + with Sharp out it was more pressing need for a winger to start year on Hawks

If I had to guess a trade between these teams given Roy's lackluster play and recent injury history something like this makes sense

To Hawks
C Derek Roy

To Sabres
C Brandon Pirri
LW Bryan Bickell
2nd round pick

Bickell adds size to Sabres lineup and is in need of change of scenery (Was 17 goal scorer as rookie last year) and Pirri is NHL ready now just needs work on his defensive game

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote