HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets at. Sens | 6:30/7:30EDT | The Fall of Hammer & Protagonist Caulfield Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2012, 12:30 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 500
These are exactly the types of games the Thrashers used to win even when they were on loosing streaks!
Come on, Jets! Win this one and get our hopes up again!

Old
01-16-2012, 12:32 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 3200
I don't think Mason is the better goalie but it seems like the team plays better in front of him. It could be that he's more vocal and directs traffic but that's pure speculation on my part.

I'm getting tired of saying this: The team needs to step up, play a complete game and get back in the playoff hunt. Burmistrov needs to produce some offense for a change.

As far as line juggling to get some spark I wouldn't mind seeing Thorburn scratched, Cormier in and both Burmi and Stapleton playing the wing.

Old
01-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
I agree.

But I still don't see the point of Ladd, Antro, and Wellwood anymore. I feel that line has more then run it's course.
Agreed as well.

Only thing keeping Ladd from playing on the 3rd line is that "C" on his shirt.

Old
01-16-2012, 12:45 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Agreed as well.

Didn't Ladd play well last game? I didn't see it but they said on the radio that he played much better.

Old
01-16-2012, 12:45 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I don't think Mason is the better goalie but it seems like the team plays better in front of him. It could be that he's more vocal and directs traffic but that's pure speculation on my part.

I'm getting tired of saying this: The team needs to step up, play a complete game and get back in the playoff hunt. Burmistrov needs to produce some offense for a change.

As far as line juggling to get some spark I wouldn't mind seeing Thorburn scratched, Cormier in and both Burmi and Stapleton playing the wing.
Well we tried Stapleton for Thorburn last game and it didn't really do anything. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Cormier in.

Old
01-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Agreed as well.

I agree with both of you.

Although to be fair, it's not only the C keeping Ladd on the 2nd line. It's the fact that we really don't have the adequate replacement for the second line spot behind him.

Old
01-16-2012, 12:46 PM
SCP Guy

Need the 2 pts. bad!!!! Worst case would be a 9th place finish so lets go boys!

Old
01-16-2012, 12:50 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I agree with both of you.

Although to be fair, it's not only the C keeping Ladd on the 2nd line. It's the fact that we really don't have the adequate replacement for the second line spot behind him.
I would think it would allow us to balance our line's ice time.

Old
01-16-2012, 12:53 PM
blues10

CJOB reporting a top line of Fehr, Little and Kane

Old
01-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

Kane-Little-Burmi -- I really hope these guys work hard tonight, this could be a killer line.. Gobs of potential..

Old
01-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Thank god there's a game today. I hope we pull out a win, we really need it.

Old
01-16-2012, 01:02 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
There's something I've been noticing a lot this year, and I wanted to get others thoughts.

I've noticed that our wingers, almost to a rule, play very far off the point in our zone. I've been noticing it all year, but paid attention for it while watching the Devils game. I figure it's part of the game-plan to help out our D, but there are so many times that the puck gets rung around the boards that our winger is nowhere near the other teams defenseman. Sometimes, it seems like we are giving the other teams D man forever back there.

Has this stuck out to anyone else or is it just me?

Is it Noel's gameplan?

I found it frustrating to watch our wingers so far off the other teams D man against Jersey. It just seems to allow other teams to keep the puck in our end for extended periods of time.

Thoughts?
Have noticed the exact same thing...must be a system.

However, it has led us into getting "hemmed" in a lot, as we have a penchant for little soft passes to each other in our own end. With the wingers with their backs to the point, and some soft little plays - opposing D can read this, and come screaming in for a low risk pinch.

At times this year, we have been really successful creating odd man rushes if the wingers can get a good chip hard - and the offside forward crosses the ice with speed.

I would expect a real simple hard chip out and chase game tonight. Too much soft cross ice in our own end or neutral zone will end up in our net against these dudes...just ask Jonny O about last time in Ottawa

Old
01-16-2012, 01:17 PM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
huge 2 points on the line dare i say must win?

Old
01-16-2012, 01:28 PM
surixon

Quote:
Agreed as well.

His 15 goals might also have something to do with it! It may come as a shock but his goal totals put him in a tie for 18th in the league amongst left wingers, with such company as Taylor Hall and Zach Parise. Can he be better, absolutely but he has been a lot better tjis year then some of you give him credit for.

As for the game, hoping for a win but Ottawa is healthy and red hot right now so it will be tough to come away with the 2 points.

Old
01-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
I would think it would allow us to balance our line's ice time.
Oh yeah, I agree with you that Ladd on the 3rd might help us balance things out and maybe be a better thing overall.

I was just trying to say (and poorly I guess) that if we had better players to replace him with, we could have moved Ladd to the 3rd earlier.

We're just so thin depth wise, that regardless of Ladd's play, there just isn't someone who we can point to and say, "hey, give this guy a shot."

Old
01-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
His 15 goals might also have something to do with it! It may come as a shock but his goal totals put him in a tie for 18th in the league amongst left wingers, with such company as Taylor Hall and Zach Parise. Can he be better, absolutely but he has been a lot better tjis year then some of you give him credit for.

As for the game, hoping for a win but Ottawa is healthy and red hot right now so it will be tough to come away with the 2 points.
Problem I have with him is he wasn't given that C because of his goal scoring. He has won multiple cups with multiple teams and thus knows what it takes to win.

I'm not seeing anything like that from him, I'm seeing someone who has no confidence and isn't playing a gritty game to try and get back on track. He is the type who should be leading by example to your other teammates and I'm still looking for it from him.

Old
01-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Have noticed the exact same thing...must be a system.

However, it has led us into getting "hemmed" in a lot, as we have a penchant for little soft passes to each other in our own end. With the wingers with their backs to the point, and some soft little plays - opposing D can read this, and come screaming in for a low risk pinch.

At times this year, we have been really successful creating odd man rushes if the wingers can get a good chip hard - and the offside forward crosses the ice with speed.

I would expect a real simple hard chip out and chase game tonight. Too much soft cross ice in our own end or neutral zone will end up in our net against these dudes...just ask Jonny O about last time in Ottawa
Glad I'm not the only one then!

It's frustrating because there has been a lot of times when the opposition D man is getting the puck that our winger is no where close. Sometimes it feels like we are fine with playing some sort of modified, no pressure version of a penalty kill in our zone, even when we are 5 on 5.

Old
01-16-2012, 01:47 PM
surixon

Quote:
Problem I have with him is he wasn't given that C because of his goal scoring. He has won multiple cups with multiple teams and thus knows what it takes to win.

I'm not seeing anything like that from him, I'm seeing someone who has no confidence and isn't playing a gritty game to try and get back on track. He is the type who should be leading by example to your other teammates and I'm still looking for it from him.
I agree that at times he needs to play smarter and with more intensity. I thought he showed a lot more of both in the last game. Does he deserve some criticisim, sure but i find most of it to be over the top. He has still been a net positive contributer to the team this year.

Even with his struggles Ladd is doing a pretty darn good job at putting the puck in the net which as a top 6 forward is his primary job, not sure why you'd put him on the third line given our roster.

Old
01-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I agree that at times he needs to play smarter and with more intensity. I thought he showed a lot more of both in the last game. Does he deserve some criticisim, sure but i find most of it to be over the top. He has still been a net positive contributer to the team this year.

Even with his struggles Ladd is doing a pretty darn good job at putting the puck in the net which as a top 6 forward is his primary job, not sure why you'd put him on the third line given our roster.
The main reason I put him on the third is because when healthy I think we can ice a better top 6.

Kane-Little-Wheeler, although Kane has gone a little cold that line is still our best currently.

Burmi, Antro and Wellwood have all been struggling and I can't see how anyone can argue with putting them back together as every one of their point totals have seen a big decline.

After that you put Ladd in more of a grinder role with Cormier and Fehr.

This has been done to death almost as much as Buff to forward discussion, but I feel it's valid at this point.

Old
01-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
I just woke up after sleeping in (it was lovely), and thought the title meant me and Holden were demoted as mods. Shouldn't HF while my eyes are half-open, haha.

Thank you for stepping up Lynk.

01-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Also, I bet all my hard-earned 50 points on the Jets.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:23 PM
3rdManIn
Put'n on the foil!

3-1 us.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:32 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
Didn't Ladd play well last game? I didn't see it but they said on the radio that he played much better.
Yeah I was at the game and I thought he was much better. His goal Brodeur honestly should have had (it hit his glove and went in behind him), but he had another pair of shots that would go in more often than not, actually one hit the shaft of Brodeur's stick. It was one of his better games, actually I've seen Ladd score twice with the same move now that I think about it, it was basically the same play that he scored against Boston with, different shot, but he took a pass near the red line and sped in down the left wing.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Soble

Just read Wheels is still home and won't be back til at least Thursday. Going into tonight with low expectations. Maybe we'll see a hard effort, skate skate skate and press down hard on the forecheck! Getting tired of scoring 0 or 1 goal a game, the chances just haven't been there in those offensively-challenged games, with the exception of the LA game. And please play hard in the third, whether you are up by 2 or down by 2. Ott is something like 6-13-5 when trailing after 2, which is amazing, usually teams are 1-20 and 20-1 when leading.

Getting too far behind in points is a death sentence, try catching, for example, Ott & NJ. Let's say those teams meet the same night as the Jets play; they will likely play yet another 3 point game due to their conservative styles (Ott has 16 3-point-games, NJ 15 if I counted correctly - Jets at 8). So if the Jets win their game, they stay even with 1 and pickup 1 lousy point on the other. If the Jets lose, disaster. It appears like you are closer to the pack when in fact it's just harder to make up ground.

Also what are the stats on powerplay time? Is it me or do the opposing teams take less than 3 penalties against the Jets EVERY night? Is that a reflection of our team, their team, the zebras, ...?? (With the exception of the NYE game vs the Leafs, we got a bit fortunate there)

Old
01-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Jet
Spoiled Rotten

Quote:

I couldn't agree with you more, Lynky... also, is it just me, or has Ladd scored a LOT of lucky/ opportunistic goals? I'm not saying we don't need those or they don't count, but he just doesn't seem to be a 30 goal scorer to me.

I want Ladd to lead with physical play, agressive forechecking, and sensible puck management. I want to see him flip it in and go after it instead of turning it over in the neutral zone. I want him to stop taking penalties that suck the life out of the team or snub any chance of us coming back in games. That's what Ladd HAS to do as a good captain.