HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Famous "What Ifs" in hockey history

Old
02-03-2012, 02:53 PM
whatname

vCash: 500
what if McSorley used a legal blade in 93?

whatname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:21 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 208
What If...

...Bobby Orr could have had knee surgury
...WHA never existed
..........Gordie Howe had full NHL Career
..........Bobby Hull had full NHL Career

and my selfish one...
...Lanny McDonald was never traded from the Leafs

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:07 PM
tazzy19

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatname View Post
what if McSorley used a legal blade in 93?
So true. Or if Jaques Demers never thought of it. LA would have gone up 2-0 in the series, with home ice advantage, and all the momentum. Gretzky would have won his 5th Cup and 3rd Conn Smythe, and finally brought the Cup to LA.

tazzy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 07:23 PM
oreillyisgod
Unregistered User

didnt see him mentioned, but what about Michel Briere?
Also, I seem to remember there was a kid that was a huge prospect back in the 80s who was killed in a car accident?

oreillyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreillyisgod View Post
didnt see him mentioned, but what about Michel Briere?
Also, I seem to remember there was a kid that was a huge prospect back in the 80s who was killed in a car accident?
I believe you're referring to George Pelawa.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Ya, tragically died in a car crash 3mnths after being picked 16th in the Draft by the Flames. High school star in Minnesota & 3 sport competitor, scouted by MLB & a linebacker who was apparently better than just good. For a time it was rumored that Tom Cochranes song Big League which came out awhile afterwards was inspired by George Pelawa however Cochrane claims otherwise, inspired by someone else altogether... more trivia to clutter your brain. Sorry bout that.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:53 PM
CharlestownChiefsESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
What if ??

The Devils are awarded Curtis Joseph and Rod Brind'amour instead of Scott Stevens for the Brendan Shanahan RFA signing ??

What becomes of CuJo and Brodeur ??

Do the Devils win any Cups, and are they even still located in Jersey ??

Would the Blues have recovered from the shocking upset by the North Stars and won a Cup in the coming years ??

Does Chris Pronger stay in Hartford ??

Do the Red Wings win those Cups, where Shanahan seemed to be the missing piece ??
But the devils who have extreme depth in net trade Brodeur to Detroit. Detroit then goes on to win 4 cups in a row with Shanahan being added as extra depth in 97 due to the same Blues giving them a scare. Scott Stevens retires as a Blue spending his entire career as a scoring 2nd pair defensemen but never gets his hands on the cups. Cujo spends his career in NJ but the team is always middle of the pack and the farthest they ever go is to the conference finals in 95. The team crashes and burns in 2000 and is bounced in the conference semis by an old Torointo club which leads to the firing of Lou Lamirello, and the team having to be took over by the league because McMullen can no longer afford to run it, and sees no reason to due to the worst attendance in the league and no banners to speak of.

CharlestownChiefsESC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 11:30 AM
oreillyisgod
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Thats it - thanks.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:34 AM
oreillyisgod
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya, tragically died in a car crash 3mnths after being picked 16th in the Draft by the Flames. High school star in Minnesota & 3 sport competitor, scouted by MLB & a linebacker who was apparently better than just good. For a time it was rumored that Tom Cochranes song Big League which came out awhile afterwards was inspired by George Pelawa however Cochrane claims otherwise, inspired by someone else altogether... more trivia to clutter your brain. Sorry bout that.
No need - this was who I was trying to think of. As you say he was a huge prospect.

Old
02-07-2012, 12:08 PM
danincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestownChiefsESC View Post
But the devils who have extreme depth in net trade Brodeur to Detroit. Detroit then goes on to win 4 cups in a row with Shanahan being added as extra depth in 97 due to the same Blues giving them a scare. Scott Stevens retires as a Blue spending his entire career as a scoring 2nd pair defensemen but never gets his hands on the cups. Cujo spends his career in NJ but the team is always middle of the pack and the farthest they ever go is to the conference finals in 95. The team crashes and burns in 2000 and is bounced in the conference semis by an old Torointo club which leads to the firing of Lou Lamirello, and the team having to be took over by the league because McMullen can no longer afford to run it, and sees no reason to due to the worst attendance in the league and no banners to speak of.
I didn't read through the whole thread but my what if would be...

What if the Red Wings traded for Roy instead of the Avalanche? I remember hearing about a package that included Osgood but I don't recall the other pieces that would go to Montreal.

How many Cups does Detroit win with a superstar goalie like Roy? At the same time do the Avs win any Cups with another goalie - presumably Fiset or Thibault?

danincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 12:27 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

What if the Canadiens were allow to fold in the 30's after the Maroons left the league? In 'How Hockey Explains Canada' Coach Irwin Sr. is let go by the Leafs and becomes the coach of the Canadiens and raises up the team.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by danincanada View Post
I didn't read through the whole thread but my what if would be...

What if the Red Wings traded for Roy instead of the Avalanche? I remember hearing about a package that included Osgood but I don't recall the other pieces that would go to Montreal.

How many Cups does Detroit win with a superstar goalie like Roy? At the same time do the Avs win any Cups with another goalie - presumably Fiset or Thibault?
From what I understand, Detroit's package included Vernon and the Habs wanted Osgood, hence no deal.

To this day, I can't believe the Flyers and Wings didn't make a bigger pitch for Roy.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 03:45 PM
danincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
From what I understand, Detroit's package included Vernon and the Habs wanted Osgood, hence no deal.

To this day, I can't believe the Flyers and Wings didn't make a bigger pitch for Roy.
Okay, that makes sense.

Definitely, it would have changed things a lot for both franchises. Both franchises struggled to find that superstar goalie. No one knew for sure if Roy still had it at that point though.

danincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:22 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Speaking of the Red Wings...what if they traded for Ray Bourque instead of the Avs in 2000? Does Detroit win the Cup instead of New Jersey?

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Al Bundy*

What if the Jets don't blow a 3-1 series lead in 1992 and advanced to the next round?

Would the Jets have been able to make some noise in a wide-open Campbell Conference?

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 10:47 PM
double5son10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
What if the Hawks kept Hull and Esposito?

They certainly would have won a couple of cups.
I think the really interesting part of this question is the flipside of it, does Boston win any Cups without the trade for Esposito, Hodge and Stanfield? They're still probably a good team because of Orr, but down the middle we're looking at only Pit Martin and Sanderson, and McKenzie's the top RW. That trade made Boston. And the ability to later move Esposito/Vadnais for Ratelle/Park and Hodge for Middleton kept them a top club for the rest of 70s and into the next decade.

Last edited by double5son10: 02-08-2012 at 03:52 PM.
double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:34 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
If the Pens hadn't choked a Pens vs Avalanche Stanley Cup in 96 would have been EPIC
I think you mean "what if the Penguins would have stuck with Wregget in the '96conference finals?" or "what if Francis didn't break his ankle(?) in the conference finals?"

What if Jagr wouldn't have been traded to the Caps in 2001?

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:57 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
What if Roy stayed a hab

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:04 PM
CharlestownChiefsESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
What if Roy stayed a hab
Honestly the habs were going downhill at the time and he would have requested a trade within a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
"

What if Jagr wouldn't have been traded to the Caps in 2001?
The pens couldn't afford him, but I think that towards the end of his time in Pittsburgh he grew tired of the organization and he would have been traded eventually.

Old
02-09-2012, 02:31 AM
Al Bundy*

What if game 7 of last year's East Finals had gone the other way and we got a Lightning-Canucks Stanley Cup Final?

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestownChiefsESC View Post
Honestly the habs were going downhill at the time and he would have requested a trade within a year.
The Habs actually had a pretty nice nucleus to build upon when Roy was traded. Houle and Tremblay destroyed that nucleus.

But the truth is, Serge Savard had been shopping him prior to being fired. Savard had a deal in place with the Av's to acquire Nolan and Fiset for Roy, but the day Lacroix called to finalize the deal, Savard had been fired and the trade was called off. From my perspective:

Having Keane, Nolan, Fiset > Kovalenko, Rucinski, Thibault

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:53 AM
cam042686

i think of the 1974 Summit series.

1. What if Frank Mahovlich scores in the final seconds of Game 1 giving Canada a 4-3 win? Does this finally get him untracked against the Soviets for the first time ever? What does such a loss due to the Soviets sense of confidence seeing as they lost the last 3 in a row in 72 to Canada and now lost this?

2. What if the on-ice officiating is at least just "competent" in Game 6 as opposed to Victor Dombrowski's out and out cheating? Can Canada perhaps escape with a tie?

3. What if Bobby Hull's goal in the last second of Game 7 counts? Canada now wins 5-4 and Game 8 is meaningful.That means both teams use their top line-ups. What happens in that game?

Craig Wallace

cam042686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:45 AM
CharlestownChiefsESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomerHimpson View Post
What if game 7 of last year's East Finals had gone the other way and we got a Lightning-Canucks Stanley Cup Final?
Then Vanvouver still burns down out of happiness though