Notices

Tom Wandell

Old
08-17-2011, 09:24 PM
inxs

vCash: 500
Tom Wandell

What kind of season Wandell can do?

Second or third lines could be better to his progression?

This kid can be alot of suprise imo.

INXS

inxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Bench
Realgud!

I don't see it.

But I hope I'm wrong.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 09:33 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by inxs View Post
What kind of season Wandell can do?

Second or third lines could be better to his progression?

This kid can be alot of suprise imo.

INXS
hes going to need to develop another skill to go along with his supreme skating. Passing would probably be his best bet. Truly if you look at the Stars roster right now theres really not very many players I'd categorize as good passers at this point so if he can, he has a chance to earn himself some good ice time.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 10:04 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
He's Eric Christanenson v2.0. Too skilled for a bottom 6 role, not consistent or good enough for a top 6 role.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 11:56 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
That's unfair. Even if he never fully realizes his offensive potential, which I believe is there, he is still a very very solid defensive player who is perfectly suited to a checking role. It's not like he's not helping if he's not scoring. I'd rank him around third defensively among Stars forwards right now, maybe second behind Eriksson.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:51 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
There's no such thing as being too skilled for the bottom 6 as long as the player is willing to work hard and play defense, 2 things that have never been in question with Wandell.

It's hard to say how he's going to play on a potential 3rd line with Fiddler and Burish. He seems like a good option for the other 2nd line wing if Ott doesn't work out there. The problem being that Benn isn't good enough on the dot yet to be fully trusted and Wandell isn't an upgrade in that area either. So they need Ott there for now. If Benn adds faceoffs to his game then you could slide Ott down and have an ultra-H2PA checking line. Wandell has known chemistry with both Benn and Eriksson, I have no doubt that line would work well.

I expect to see more production this year. Part of it will be improvement and part of it will hopefully not be playing with terrible teammates. I'm not sure he can get to Kapanen's output though, which is probably what he needs for long-term viability on the roster.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 08:52 AM
wonko80

People expect too much offense from him due to his skating. However, I don't think he has the offensive vision to develop into being a good passer. Just watch him. He skates around the net 80% of the time and never looks to pass. He just tries to twirl around and get a shot off.

wonko80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 01:24 PM
denniso

He certainly has some tools! I love watching him carry the puck on long rushes. He just flies.

This year he needs to figure out how to use those tools. I am all for giving him lots of opportunity this year. We need to find out what we have in him, as we will be needing to make some decisions soon. He is in the last year of his contract, I believe. An offensive forward needs to produce more than he has. As a defensive center, he needs to be stronger on faceoffs to be effective. We have strength on the wings coming up over the next couple years. I really like the guy, but he needs to prove that he deserves a long-term role this season.

denniso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:30 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

How is Wandell doing so far this season?

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo
Ballon d'Or 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
How is Wandell doing so far this season?
Solid job on the 4th line.

Cristiano Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 01:38 PM
DMaz16
@DMaz16

I think we get teased with Wandell's offensive potential because he does have that top end speed but I really don't think that offence is his strong suit... In my mind I think he's probably a 3rd or 4th line guy who plays solid defensively and can work the puck out quickly in transition... His offensive awareness and instinct just isn't top two line material

DMaz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Troy McClure

He's a warm body who helps the Stars satisfy the roster minimum.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:27 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
He's a warm body who helps the Stars satisfy the roster minimum.
Incorrect, disregard.

Old
12-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Dirty Kari

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Incorrect, disregard.
Sound about right to me. The guy is a plug who is going to get surpassed on the depth chart by UFA signings or kids coming up through the system. If this was not a cap floor team I am not sure he has a roster spot. He is not skilled enough to be a top 6 center, he isn't a good enough FO guy to be the one you want anchoring your 3rd line. I personally prefer my 4th liners to have more grit. He is still young so maybe he can prove me wrong but I don't see it.

Dirty Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Incorrect, disregard.
How so?

Old
12-11-2011, 11:33 AM
DMaz16
@DMaz16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kari View Post
Sound about right to me. The guy is a plug who is going to get surpassed on the depth chart by UFA signings or kids coming up through the system. If this was not a cap floor team I am not sure he has a roster spot. He is not skilled enough to be a top 6 center, he isn't a good enough FO guy to be the one you want anchoring your 3rd line. I personally prefer my 4th liners to have more grit. He is still young so maybe he can prove me wrong but I don't see it.
I disagree I think Wandell definitely has a place in the NHL... His defensive awareness and speed is certainly at an NHL level... I think there is this common misconception that all fourth liners need to be grit guys who lay down hits all the time but if it was up to me I'd take up tempo and defensively sound players anyday... you don't need to run around hitting guys to play good defence... Just look at a team like Detroit to see the benefit of having quick and smart fourth liners

DMaz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 04:42 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Momentum View Post
I disagree I think Wandell definitely has a place in the NHL... His defensive awareness and speed is certainly at an NHL level... I think there is this common misconception that all fourth liners need to be grit guys who lay down hits all the time but if it was up to me I'd take up tempo and defensively sound players anyday... you don't need to run around hitting guys to play good defence... Just look at a team like Detroit to see the benefit of having quick and smart fourth liners
except, in general, a typical 4th liner in the nhl seems like, as troy said, "a warm body who helps the <insert team name here> satisfy the roster minimum."

and at this point, wandell hasn't proven to me he isn't anything but. he seems like another petersen, dowell, bar-- (okay not barch), sutherby, et al.

in hindsight, should the stars have allowed wandell to develop in the minors? is his career an example of what happens when guys are rushed? (serious questions as i don't recall the context in which he ended up in dallas directly from the SEL)

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:05 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
except, in general, a typical 4th liner in the nhl seems like, as troy said, "a warm body who helps the <insert team name here> satisfy the roster minimum."
Not on good teams. Look at any actual Cup contender and they all have legit NHL players skating on their 4th lines.

Quote:
and at this point, wandell hasn't proven to me he isn't anything but. he seems like another petersen, dowell, bar-- (okay not barch), sutherby, et al.
You don't see anything in Wandell that separates him from those guys? I have to say that I've been a little disappointed in his hockey IQ but he has more pure ability than any of those guys. IMO Petersen is a poor man's Wandell.

Quote:
in hindsight, should the stars have allowed wandell to develop in the minors? is his career an example of what happens when guys are rushed? (serious questions as i don't recall the context in which he ended up in dallas directly from the SEL)
I've wondered about this myself. Before Wandell made a bit of a name for himself with his defensive play he was looked at as more of an offensive prospect. It's possible that if he had stayed in the minors longer and maybe didn't produce offense like the organization would hope that he wouldn't have ever been given an opportunity to play in the NHL.

I realize I'm higher on Wandell than a lot of people but I do think there's a lot more to his ceiling than what we've seen so far. The offense definitely hasn't been there but I still think he's been playing with poor linemates and in such a limited capacity that he's never really had much of an opportunity to develop the chemistry needed to produce goals.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Troy McClure

The main reason I'm not very high on Wandell is I don't trust his durability.

He's a fine player for what's expected of him, which is very little. That said, he doesn't exactly stand out when compared to 4th line centers on other teams. He may be better than the worst players on the Stars roster, but that's not saying much.

He shows some speed, and that's nice. The downside is he seems to get pushed around a bit. He's kind of a less skilled but slightly tougher Niko Kapanen. He's an interchangeable part in this league: good enough to keep a roster spot but not good enough to land on anyone's radar. If he was traded, I wouldn't blink and eye or notice on the ice.

Old
12-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Kapanen's a pretty good comparison, actually....hell, I almost forgot about that guy.

Here's hoping Wandell doesn't follow suit and end up overseas permanently after being traded and giving up on the NHL.

Best case scenario would be an everyday 3rd liner. We'll see if he has it in him.

01-08-2012, 04:07 PM
inxs

Wandell looking good since few games.

inxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 05:22 PM
LoneStarHockey

It is what it is with Wandell, he is a very talented skater with a lot of potential and upside, unfortunately he has not been able to live up to that all the expectations and as his career continues it doesn't look like he will. Now don't get me wrong, I think Wandell is a solid overall player for Dallas and his attributes are very valuable to our 4th line. He has become one of my favorite Stars over the last couple years and I think his role is diminished and looked over by a lot of people. I like Wandell as a 3rd or 4th liner, but I just can't see him being as a consistent Top 6 forward in the NHL.

LoneStarHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Brand New Stars

Of course he probably won't develop much offense. He was rushed to the NHL into a non-scoring role despite his obvious talent.

Brand New Stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 05:49 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Now hold on here. He wasn't rushed to the NHL. After being drafted he played full seasons in the SuperElit, SM-liiga, AHL, and SEL before making the Stars. Also he was never expected to be a top 6 forward. It's a minor miracle he's made it this far. What got him a spot in the NHL is the fact that he turned into a shutdown checker in the SEL.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Yup, he is what he is - a very speedy lower liner who has developed nicely as a checker in the past 1-2 years but is still limited on offense. He just doesn't have the hands or offensive instincts to be a Top 6 guy, though he's got good enough ones for a lower-line player.

That's not bad, though. Those guys are valuable, especially the speedy ones because they can draw penalties. And as he gets better on defense, particularly strength on the puck and knocking off the ridiculous neutral zone turnovers, then he can probably be a nice third-line piece over the next several years.

Kritter471 is online now   Reply With Quote