HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

News on Crosby.

Old
01-17-2012, 01:57 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekemeister View Post
I've never been to one myself but I know a lot of people swear by chiropractors. To each his own in my opinion, unless someone gets hurt.
Its not scientific medicine. Their treatments aren't evaluated by the rigor of conventional western medicine (double-blind placebo controlled trials, etc). They can claim pretty much anything, and there is little basis in research.

There may be a role for chiropractic medicine for specific conditions, but until it submits to the same scrutiny as conventional care its hard to take seriously.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Dado

vCash:
The idea that modern medicine is somehow more "logical" and "fact based" is just silly. Modern medical practice is riddled with shamanism (*cough* statins *cough*) and outright fantasy.

That said, the fact Crosby is feeling compelled to look outside the straight and narrow is certainly not a positive sign...hope things work out for him!

Last edited by Dado: 01-17-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old
01-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Pens1566

vCash: 500
Seems to be a good bit of wishful thinking in this thread.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:13 PM
blackcharger

As far as concussions go, doctors really have no solution but to wait it out and relieve some of the symptoms with medication.The side effects of these medications are sometimes no better than the symptoms.I've had several concussions and the two things that helped me the most were vestibular therapy and marijuana.

blackcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:19 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealHartTrophy01 View Post
Crosby is seriously done. He's had concussion issues since 12 and it took him only 8 games to be out for the season now (100%), again. My prediction is between now and 2014 Olympics is he will play between 15-30 games max.

He's not my favourite player but would like to see him play cause I'll admit it's better having him in than not, but he's in trouble. Big trouble. He will retire at some point.

He going to realise it's not worth having headaches and dizzness daily for the rest of his life. No amount of money is worth that (Seriously offer me a check for $10 million and it will last everyday forever? Never). He enjoyed great success in a short amount of time, but ending at 25/26 is pretty terrible.
Posts like these make me hope that Sid comes back and returns to form, causing the doubters and those who so transparently want him to retire to cry themselves to sleep at night at he scores on your team time and time again.

You have a lot riding on that 2014 Olympics - I read your posts.

When he scores the game winner and eliminates your Russian team in front of their home fans, remember the day you were called out.

Put more of your energy into getting Ovechkin to retire. He plays like he wants to quit anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Seems to be a good bit of wishful thinking in this thread.
Exactly.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:00 PM
TheAngryHank
Expert

vCash: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Posts like these make me hope that Sid comes back and returns to form, causing the doubters and those who so transparently want him to retire to cry themselves to sleep at night at he scores on your team time and time again.

When he scores the game winner and eliminates your Russian team in front of their home fans, remember the day you were called out.

Put more of your energy into getting Ovechkin to retire. He plays like he wants to quit anyway.

Exactly.
Posts like this read no different then someone who hopes he has to retire, in fact it looks to me like these post out weigh the very few posts of people who talk retirement. Your agenda is pretty obvious , while some people talking retirement are probably looking at this way more objectively then your self. Your hope will not change the situation Sid is in and honestly you would do you self a favor by not clinging to it, it is an illusion.

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:12 AM
dkhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcharger View Post
As far as concussions go, doctors really have no solution but to wait it out and relieve some of the symptoms with medication.The side effects of these medications are sometimes no better than the symptoms.I've had several concussions and the two things that helped me the most were vestibular therapy and marijuana.
then fire it up, Sidney ........but seriously, there is zero drugtesting in the NHL, he could use it......is it even on the forbidden list ?

dkhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:15 AM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhockey View Post
then fire it up, Sidney ........but seriously, there is zero drugtesting in the NHL, he could use it......is it even on the forbidden list ?
Not a bad idea at all.He would relax him a bit, it makes sure he eats properly, more creativity in the rink.

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:55 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Its not scientific medicine. Their treatments aren't evaluated by the rigor of conventional western medicine (double-blind placebo controlled trials, etc). They can claim pretty much anything, and there is little basis in research.

There may be a role for chiropractic medicine for specific conditions, but until it submits to the same scrutiny as conventional care its hard to take seriously.
One of my favorite things to do on HF boards is to inform people the Truth about Chiropractors. Some have come along way , trying to legitimize their profession by distancing itself from the quacks out there. They focus more on Muscular Skeletal issues. However this is infringing upon the profession of Exercise Physiologist, Kinesiologist, Physical therapists, and a variety of actual health professionals who treat these disorders.

One of the reasons why it is mandatory now for physical therapists to do an extra year of training to become a Doctor of Physical Therapy is because they thought that it would help combat the popularity of Chiropractors, and give them more legitimacy as a profession.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:02 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
The idea that modern medicine is somehow more "logical" and "fact based" is just silly. Modern medical practice is riddled with shamanism (*cough* statins *cough*) and outright fantasy.

That said, the fact Crosby is feeling compelled to look outside the straight and narrow is certainly not a positive sign...hope things work out for him!
I guarantee that when you or one of your family members has a serious illness you take them to the hospital to see a doctor. This is because you know that you can place your faith in science as oppose to this nonsense that you state you believe. I would love to hear how you are qualified to give your opinion on this subject by the way.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:21 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I guarantee that when you or one of your family members has a serious illness you take them to the hospital to see a doctor. This is because you know that you can place your faith in science as oppose to this nonsense that you state you believe. I would love to hear how you are qualified to give your opinion on this subject by the way.
If this discussion on modern medicine goes on for much longer we're going to get the anti-vaccine conspiracy theorists coming out of the woodwork.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:13 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryHank View Post
Posts like this read no different then someone who hopes he has to retire, in fact it looks to me like these post out weigh the very few posts of people who talk retirement. Your agenda is pretty obvious , while some people talking retirement are probably looking at this way more objectively then your self. Your hope will not change the situation Sid is in and honestly you would do you self a favor by not clinging to it, it is an illusion.
Big difference...I am honest about my agenda. I want him to come back, I want him to succeed, and I want him to be the best player in the world for 15 more years. I hope he puts the lid on the "who's better" question we have had about him and Ovie for the past several years. I hope he wins several more Cups and another gold medal or two.

The "Oh, I don't like him and he should retire at 24 for his own good. But he's good for the game so if he comes back that's good." comments are so ridiculously transparent to us real fans it is laughable. Truth is, it feels like some people are rubbing it in right now, you included.

You've trolled him from Day 1, and even brag about doing it. Well, you are in the same camp as the guy who pretends he cares but meanwhile hopes he never plays another minute, and begs him to retire because "You care about his long-term health". Yeah, right. You care about his legacy not being what that hot-dog Ovechkin's might be if he ever gets off his rear end and becomes a hockey player again instead of a rapper or whatever other ridiculous thing he's doing this week.

Be honest and at least I would respect that.

Old
01-18-2012, 07:53 AM
74Oshie74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post

It takes 6 to 8 years in college along with state and federal licenses to become a DC (Doctor of Chiropractic).

There is science behind it and a boat load of schooling along with state and federal regulations/oversight. They are basically specialized osteopaths and are often taught in medical schools after undergrad study.

74Oshie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:58 AM
74Oshie74

I sure hope that Crosby can come back from all this. The whole situation doesn't seem encouraging to me though for his long term outlook. I don't like Crosby but the NHL needs superstars like him to draw more attention to the game and I wouldn't want to see anyone (well, nearly anyone) go out like this.

Last edited by 74Oshie74: 01-18-2012 at 08:04 AM.
74Oshie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Corsi Close

Personally I think he comes back and is a very good player in this league, but it is going to take time for him to get back to elite level play.

Don't let the 12 pts. (or the Isles game) fool you, he was not the same player when he came back.

I am not a fan, but like a lot of people on these boards I am obsessed with figuring out whether he comes back or not and how he plays when he does.

Corsi Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:06 AM
fragmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryHank View Post

Oh the irony......

fragmag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:43 PM
TheAngryHank
Expert

vCash: 519
Quote:
Big difference...I am honest about my agenda. I want him to come back, I want him to succeed, and I want him to be the best player in the world for 15 more years. I hope he puts the lid on the "who's better" question we have had about him and Ovie for the past several years. I hope he wins several more Cups and another gold medal or two.

The "Oh, I don't like him and he should retire at 24 for his own good. But he's good for the game so if he comes back that's good." comments are so ridiculously transparent to us real fans it is laughable. Truth is, it feels like some people are rubbing it in right now, you included.

You've trolled him from Day 1, and even brag about doing it. Well, you are in the same camp as the guy who pretends he cares but meanwhile hopes he never plays another minute, and begs him to retire because "You care about his long-term health". Yeah, right. You care about his legacy not being what that hot-dog Ovechkin's might be if he ever gets off his rear end and becomes a hockey player again instead of a rapper or whatever other ridiculous thing he's doing this week.

1st bold , I really hope I don't come across like that.

2nd bold , Very true, I can't stand the Penguins as well as some of their fans. Just like the steelers and patriots and it's nothing to do with the Penguins beating the WIngs in the finals. I have had a healthy dis-like for them since the Mario days. NJ beat the Wings in 95-96 season and they are probably my favorite team in the east.

3rd bold, I do hope the best for him ,like any player or person going through what he is, as much of a troll I am I'M not a total *****. I'M good either way as far as his career is concerned. He gives the board good troll material but I don't kick people when they are down [ with health issues anyway ] As the biggest Penguin troll on here I do have standards. At this point I hope he can live a normal life and if he can play again that is gravy.

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:05 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:

And it's blatently obvious people like you don't care one bit about Crosby's long term health or if he spends his 40's as a vegetable as long as he delivers more victories for your team.

See how easy that is? No reason to speculate on people's motives.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Saku11

I cant wait until media starts the build up the hype of his return again to see the reactions here.The last time was entertainment at its best. HNIC had a two minute update on him, it took away the space of all the other features of the show, my life is ruined!

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Halpysback

He should retire for the sake of his health. If he keeps going he'll be in Deadmarsh's condition by the time he's 25. Can't believe people would selfishly want him to come back and put his life at risk for the sake of what is essentially entertainment.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:32 PM
RealHartTrophy01*

Quote:

Exactly.
What's up with some homers here always saying "I've read your posts" and "Russia 2014 - We going to kick your butt". Do you guys have some personal issues or inferiority complex? just stop with this already.

And Crosby's never scored a goal on Team Russia (WJC, World Championships or Olympics)- For the record.

And I'm not saying anything personal against him, just telling the facts and my opinion on them. Don't like them? Don't read them.

RealHartTrophy01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:39 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
And it's blatently obvious people like you don't care one bit about Crosby's long term health or if he spends his 40's as a vegetable as long as he delivers more victories for your team.

See how easy that is? No reason to speculate on people's motives.
Absolutely ridiculous.

First, I do care about his long term health.

The main issue I have with people on this board is the bolded part. How does a guy getting dizzy equate to a lifetime as a vegetable? Holy crap what a leap!

That's the problem with this new concussion craze...yeah I said craze. people seem to in some way enjoy thinking they are now doctors who can predict the future of guys who get head injuries.

Poor Troy Aikman had to retire because of concussions...yeah what a vegetable that guy is.

Myself...probably five or more concussions. I'm 41 and not drooling yet.

Old
01-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPQ531 View Post
...as oppose to this nonsense that you state you believe.
I didn't make any statement about what I believe.

Are you sure you're responding to what you think you're responding to?

Old
01-18-2012, 07:44 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Absolutely ridiculous.

First, I do care about his long term health.

The main issue I have with people on this board is the bolded part. How does a guy getting dizzy equate to a lifetime as a vegetable? Holy crap what a leap!

That's the problem with this new concussion craze...yeah I said craze. people seem to in some way enjoy thinking they are now doctors who can predict the future of guys who get head injuries.

Poor Troy Aikman had to retire because of concussions...yeah what a vegetable that guy is.

Myself...probably five or more concussions. I'm 41 and not drooling yet.
Read up on Dave Duerson if you get the chance.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:13 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Read up on Dave Duerson if you get the chance.
For every Dave Duerson, I can find a thousand guys who are not like him.

This is EXACTLY the problem I am having with this issue right now. Everyone finds some random example and thinks they have a medical degree and a crystal ball.

Fact is, lots of guys have had concussions and go on to completely normal lives. I'm not saying you don't take the problem seriously, but throwing out names of the less than 1% of former athletes with long-term damage is irresponsible.

Sorry to disappoint people, but most guys who have concussions are not forced to retire (even though people seem to want them to), and even fewer end up with serious long-term problems that they may have had even if they didn't play contact sports.

All these so-called examples of athletes who have serious long-term problems...I ask this: do you truly know what else they were into? Drugs? Alcohol? Inherited problems? Genetic predispositions?

Exactly. You don't know. So stop irresponsibly posting names like they should serve as some kind of warning or cautionary tale to anyone else.