HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

News on Crosby.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:01 PM
TradeBait

vCash: 500
can anyone list me some players who missed as much time as Crosby with an injury similar in nature who came back their old selves? none come to mind...

TradeBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:24 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINISHYOURMILK View Post
can anyone list me some players who missed as much time as Crosby with an injury similar in nature who came back their old selves? none come to mind...
Patrice Bergeron, PM Bouchard was looking good but just recently got another concussion

Considering that concussions have only been treated seriously in the last year or so, it's going to take awhile to see how the results turn out.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Jahodac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINISHYOURMILK View Post
There is no precedent which isn't a bad thing. Concussion awareness is up and what otherwise would have been a day to day injury is now getting diagnosed as concussions or concussion like symptoms. Crosby is 24, he has all the time in the world to come back.

If Mario could dominate the league while on chemotherapy, Crosby can play hockey again. Obviously faulty logic but I wouldn't go as far as to say it is just wishful thinking.

Crosby will inevitably play again, book it.

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:35 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Crosby is one more hit away from scrambled eggs. As a fan of hockey and a human being, he needs to retire and be able to live to see his grand kids play someday. Retire on top and coach or do PR work, or something.

What a shame it would be to find out he died at 44 due to brain complications. He has enough money to never work again.

The Cheat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
Crosby is one more hit away from scrambled eggs. As a fan of hockey and a human being, he needs to retire and be able to live to see his grand kids play someday. Retire on top and coach or do PR work, or something.

What a shame it would be to find out he died at 44 due to brain complications. He has enough money to never work again.
That is kind of how I look at it as well. Everytime he steps out on that ice he risks losing it all. I hope a guy like Keith Primeau and Lindros can talk to him about the lingering effects concussions have had on them. Maybe scare him straight.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Hockey is the kid's life, though. He lives, breathes, sleeps with his thoughts focused on hockey...it's quite obvious. If you take hockey away from him...I really hate to see what would happen to Sidney Crosby the person. Hockey really is all he knows.

I do appreciate the Flyers fans showing concern and wishing for his retirement, though

Honestly, with a normal person I'd probably agree. Sidney Crosby is not a normal person, though.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:01 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Hockey is the kid's life, though. He lives, breathes, sleeps with his thoughts focused on hockey...it's quite obvious. If you take hockey away from him...I really hate to see what would happen to Sidney Crosby the person. Hockey really is all he knows.
Jiri Fischer lost hockey at a year older, but at least he's still alive.

As for Crosby, I think he should be back sooner or later. Obviously the lingering/recurrent effects of concussion aren't a terrific sign, but wait and see.

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

For Crosby's sake, I hope he retires. He's going to be a vegetable if he keeps this up.

For my sake, I hope he plays. I don't think I can deal with all of Cole Harbour rioting when "Godsby" retires.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:08 AM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
That is kind of how I look at it as well. Everytime he steps out on that ice he risks losing it all. I hope a guy like Keith Primeau and Lindros can talk to him about the lingering effects concussions have had on them. Maybe scare him straight.
Keith Primeau & Crosby have exchanged calls & emails since last season.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:09 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

just because he retires as a professional athlete doesn't mean that he can't have hockey in his life. coach, train, teach kids, work in the front office, work for the NHL, etc. Why risk losing it all just to get on the ice again in such competition... look at the professional football players dying so young. Look at boxers and fighers... basically slurred speach and dying from tumors, etc. he's dodged some major bullets... he needs to consider if it's worth it to risk dying just to play a little more.

Old
01-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

Quote:

Unless you're privy to some inside info, you are making some GIANT assumptions there.

Its one thing to hope he would retire rather than risk long term brain damage. Everyone hopes that.

But try telling that to someone whose career has just taken off. To me he is already a legend, for club and country, and doesnt need to do anything more to cement that status. But he clearly wants to fulfill his potential and until qualified med staff tell him straight he shouldnt try to come back......he is going to try and come back.

Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Defense

So how many times has he been hit to the head?

Defense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:05 AM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
Quote:

Everytime any player steps out on the ice he risks losing it all.

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:12 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
Everytime any player steps out on the ice he risks losing it all.
That statement is 100% true.

However, for players that have sustained severe concussions, those players are more apt to get another one and worse than the one previous.

There's more risk involved for guys like Crosby and Staal than for players that have not sustained any major concussions.

So while your statement rings true, some are more susceptible than others to those risks

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:18 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Texture View Post
Unless you're privy to some inside info, you are making some GIANT assumptions there.

Its one thing to hope he would retire rather than risk long term brain damage. Everyone hopes that.

But try telling that to someone whose career has just taken off. To me he is already a legend, for club and country, and doesnt need to do anything more to cement that status. But he clearly wants to fulfill his potential and until qualified med staff tell him straight he shouldnt try to come back......he is going to try and come back.
Giant assumptions?

Not really. We have witnessed the proof over the years.

Pat LaFontaine, Mike Richter, Jeff Beukeboom.

These are all guys that had to retire due to concussion related issues.

Eric Lindros became a shell of his Philly days due to the repeated concussions he's received.

The list goes on and on.

To think that Sidney Crosby is any less prone to suffering a career ending hit the next game he plays is being a little naive

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:47 AM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

maybe non-check hockey will suit crosby a little better, like the european leagues or men's league .. he would dominate in those leagues ... or maybe that women's professional league

eggy2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:53 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Peter Mueller came back from a concussion after missing a year and a half and scored 2 goals and got an assist last night.

I hope he retires so he knows who his grandkids are some day. He is obviously going to die at the age of 44 now.

Unlike most of the people on this board, I actually am happy a player is back. Even if he scores against my team.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:28 AM
blackcharger

Matthew Lombardi has come back and played 27 games this year for the Leafs and he was out with a cooncussion for a year.The players previously mentioned were active when concussions were less understood and probably didn't take time off to recover.No doubt some of them were playing with concussions when recieving another one.

blackcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:

Quote:
It's nice that two Flyers fans are so concerned about Sid that they hope he retires.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
And it's blatently obvious people like you don't care one bit about Crosby's long term health or if he spends his 40's as a vegetable as long as he delivers more victories for your team.

See how easy that is? No reason to speculate on people's motives.
For the record, I've never seen that poster on the pens board. Swing and a miss.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:59 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
It's nice that two Flyers fans are so concerned about Sid that they hope he retires.
way to miss the point...

Old
01-19-2012, 09:11 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Honestly, with a normal person I'd probably agree. Sidney Crosby is not a normal person, though.
He has a normal brain, though.

We'll see how it goes, I guess.

nevermore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:56 AM
TheReaper

Quote:
way to miss the point...
See this post below.
Why aren't you begging Mueller to retire, he missed more time and had more concussions than Crosby. Why didn't you beg Bergeron to retire? He missed nearly a whole season only to come back and get concussed again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Peter Mueller came back from a concussion after missing a year and a half and scored 2 goals and got an assist last night.

I hope he retires so he knows who his grandkids are some day. He is obviously going to die at the age of 44 now.

Unlike most of the people on this board, I actually am happy a player is back. Even if he scores against my team.

TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Flyer fans hav a better understanding of concussions than most teams. You havent lost a generational talent to the effects of concussions. Yet that is.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

Quote:
Flyer fans hav a better understanding of concussions than most teams. You havent lost a generational talent to the effects of concussions. Yet that is.
You have a better understanding of what it's like to see your star players sit out with concussions, there IS a difference.

Really, I can see where people who think he should retire are coming from, but come on guys you're division rivals, if you believe Crosby should retire with his health in mind that's all fine and good but I don't see what arguing with Pens fans has to do with it.

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote