HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Schenn + 1st to Edmonton

Old
01-16-2012, 04:27 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
no thanks, we have Colten Teubert.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
?

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:32 PM
IBLeaf*

I think the point of the thread is to see if you would assume the risk of wherever the draft picks end up. I wouldn't do it. There certainly is upside, but again, Burke is not rebuilding and Schenn is a core player. The Leafs would want something proven coming back if they were going to do a deal like this.

Don't know why people are making hypothetical statements to judge the proposal. No **** Toronto would say yes if EDM's 1st was top 3.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
just like the edmonton fans that want Schenn + 1st for their 2012 1st. If they want Schenn give their pick if its top 3 straight up, or start with their first and add a little bit. Schenn was the 5th pick a few years ago in 08
Schenn does not have franchise potential.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:33 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
just like the edmonton fans that want Schenn + 1st for their 2012 1st. If they want Schenn give their pick if its top 3 straight up, or start with their first and add a little bit. Schenn was the 5th pick a few years ago in 08
I don't see any Oil fans wanting to do this deal.

And it doesn't matter when Schenn was picked in 08. If that meant anything at all, you wouldn't cringe if I suggested Sam Gagner for Luke Schenn. Draft position after players have had development time means little. Especially when they haven't developed to what your team hopes they would.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:34 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

It's a decent gamble on Toronto's part IMO.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Halibut

If this were to happen it wouldnt be until draft day. Neither team would make this deal (which is completely about the future) without knowing what those picks are.

Why would the Leafs risk trading away Schenn now when they could get a run of injuries on the blueline and tumble in the standings meanwhile he could fit in with the Oil and they go on a run and take themselves out of the lottery or vice versa the Oil give away the pick and win the lottery while the leafs go on a tear and that draft pick ends up late first round.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:50 PM
REALTALK81
Pro Log Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
If this were to happen it wouldnt be until draft day. Neither team would make this deal (which is completely about the future) without knowing what those picks are.

Why would the Leafs risk trading away Schenn now when they could get a run of injuries on the blueline and tumble in the standings meanwhile he could fit in with the Oil and they go on a run and take themselves out of the lottery or vice versa the Oil give away the pick and win the lottery while the leafs go on a tear and that draft pick ends up late first round.
risk and reward my friend. I agree it would be better suited at the draft but wanted to see where the value is and gauge what the posters think of this as of now.

REALTALK81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:50 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercilious View Post
explain why the leafs do this?

If we're giving away Schenn AND a 1st... we would want one of RNH, Hall or Eberle back in the deal

I doubt that you'd let any of them go, so i'm not sure where to go from there.

Don't think Burkie is in the business of giving up our best young stay-at-home defenceman and a 1st for a guy that may or may not develop in to what Schenn is now
this, legitimately, can not be a serious opinion.

can it?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Campoli2Burrows

Oil should just keep the pick and draft Murray or Dumba. Both those players will be miles ahead of Schenn when they're his age.

Campoli2Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:05 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post

That's what Burke would say if offered Eberle in a deal - no thanks, we have Joey Crabb!

This post literally made me lol.. Thanks, I needed that!

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Loso

Yikes, no thanks.

Loso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Lessy

Don't see this making any sense for the Oilers. If they're picking top 2 they're getting another franchise forward. If they're picking 3-7 they're picking a D with upside and value greater than Schenn's. No need to take quantity over quality they just need to stay the course.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:39 PM
REALTALK81
Pro Log Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campoli2Burrows View Post
Oil should just keep the pick and draft Murray or Dumba. Both those players will be miles ahead of Schenn when they're his age.
I agree Murray and Dumba project a lot better than Schenn. I thought that having 2 real solid Dmen (drafting with the Leafs pick) would help the Oil better overall with this deep D loaded draft. The Leafs could stay where I thought they would (10th in the East) but they could drop in the standings with the current race giving the Oilers a top two Dman +Schenn.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:42 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpallday View Post
I think the point of the thread is to see if you would assume the risk of wherever the draft picks end up. I wouldn't do it. There certainly is upside, but again, Burke is not rebuilding and Schenn is a core player. The Leafs would want something proven coming back if they were going to do a deal like this.

Don't know why people are making hypothetical statements to judge the proposal. No **** Toronto would say yes if EDM's 1st was top 3.
The only way Burke does something like this is on the draft floor if he likes a particular prospect in moving up not during the season in the heat of a playoff race.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:46 PM
supercilious

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
this, legitimately, can not be a serious opinion.

can it?
Pretty sure that I've seen you in the Philly/Leafs thread saying that Schenn isnt too different value-wise from JVR. (a 2nd overall pick)

you tack on a top 15 pick (1st rounder) with Schenn and im saying that its quite a bit of value the leafs are giving up.

Obviously Schenn and a 1st wouldnt get any of edmontons big 3, but if the leafs were to be shopping that kind of package, theyd be swinging for the fences, not for a 1st round pick in return.

supercilious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:47 PM
5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

As an Oilers fan, I'd say no to that. The value of draft picks drops off considerably after the top 5. We're looking at a ridiculously stacked draft and we have a lot of guys who have top 4 dman potential. We need top 2 defensemen.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:49 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
One could argue that it's possible that Edmonton could get Weber and get rid of a nasty contract like Horcoff's with their first rounder, so there's no way that I could imagine a deal like that going down.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:50 PM
hullsy47

taylor hall

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:54 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Don't see this making any sense for the Oilers. If they're picking top 2 they're getting another franchise forward. If they're picking 3-7 they're picking a D with upside and value greater than Schenn's. No need to take quantity over quality they just need to stay the course.
I just love how so many proclaim prospects from jr hockey as franchise players before they play a single NHL game against men.

The draft is no different to playing those 1 in 4 lottery tickets you might win big, you might win something, you might not win anything at all.

I got to say it but I'm really glad that as a Leaf fan Burke is the GM because all this draft day hype is ridiculous.

I hate to break it to Oilers fans but from Hall to Eberle to RNH not one is in the class of a franchise player. Top line potential yes but franchise players no way. I could careless if you like to use it in terms of potential cause they're not that talented. Big difference between these kids and the Crosby's, Toews, Malkin's and Ovechkin's of the game.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Kyungnam

I like schenn, but I can't see him progressing to much farther than Gilbert or smid. He would look good patrolling the blue line with a healthy Whitney. But him plus a first isn't worth a forward combination like;
Hall-galyenchuk(spelling)- xxx
Xxx-rnh- ebs

Or

Xxx-rnh-ebs
Hall-gags-yakupov

Just my two cents

Kyungnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:10 PM
REALTALK81
Pro Log Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyungnam View Post
I like schenn, but I can't see him progressing to much farther than Gilbert or smid. He would look good patrolling the blue line with a healthy Whitney. But him plus a first isn't worth a forward combination like;
Hall-galyenchuk(spelling)- xxx
Xxx-rnh- ebs

Or

Xxx-rnh-ebs
Hall-gags-yakupov

Just my two cents
That all depends on where the Leafs end up picking. If the trade were to happen today the Oil could have that line up + Schenn if the Leafs take a dive in the standings.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Briecheeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercilious View Post

Obviously Schenn and a 1st wouldnt get any of edmontons big 3, but if the leafs were to be shopping that kind of package, theyd be swinging for the fences, not for a 1st round pick in return.
Exactly.

In a deal like this, Leafs have little interest in anything on Edm besides Hall, Eberle, or RNH.

Obviously, that's not happening.

Let's just move on.

EDM doesn't do the deal, because they'd rather not give up a Yakupov. Leafs don't do the deal because they don't want the worst-case scenario to happen:

Without Schenn, the club misses the playoffs by one point, while Edmonton gets RNH and Eberle back, Schenn is a boon to their defense, Khabibulin goes on a hot streak, and the Oilers eke into eighth in the West, and the Oilers pick ends up lower than the Leafs.

And Burke doesn't do the deal because he just announced on Toronto radio that he's looking to improve the club, not deal for futures.

Briecheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Kyungnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALTALK81 View Post
That all depends on where the Leafs end up picking. If the trade were to happen today the Oil could have that line up + Schenn if the Leafs take a dive in the standings.
I agree. I'm just playing under the assumption that my oilers are terrible enough to place 28-30 and (although I hate to say this), the leafs make the playoffs.

Kyungnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:23 PM
TML4eva*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafTroll View Post
No from the Leafs.
Hey. Why you copy my avy. Noob these days.

Anyways a big no from the leafs.

TML4eva* is offline   Reply With Quote