HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Schenn + 1st to Edmonton

Old
01-16-2012, 06:34 PM
t0nedeff

vCash: 500
Oilers would be completely stupid to do this. Why exactly would we want to add another D-man whose in the same mold as Smid when we could pick Murray?

t0nedeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

This is ugly for both teams

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:40 PM
TML4eva*

Lol you guys are hilarious for those who said schenn is 3rd pairing defenseman. I guess that makes Bogosian, Peitrangelo, Subban, and Doughty scrubs eh?

TML4eva* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:41 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

I like the angle of this proposal, because some teams have built dynasties by trading down.

A good example is the New England Patriots. They routinely trade down in the draft to get more draft picks.

But that's more likely what you would expect to get for trading down, draft picks.

I can't see Schenn being moved WITH a 1st for another 1st, even if it IS top 3. The problem is that you're talking about a proven roster player with a bright future for an unproven commodity.

What's the old adage? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?

That's what you should be concerned with...

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Kyungnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazem Kadri View Post
Lol you guys are hilarious for those who said schenn is 3rd pairing defenseman. I guess that makes Bogosian, Peitrangelo, Subban, and Doughty scrubs eh?
Nope. Neither is schenn a scrub, but he's no where near people of doughty's ilk.

Kyungnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:48 PM
ponder

As a Leafs fan I would do this deal today. I like Schenn, but we have lots of big/tough dmen in Phaneuf, Schenn, Komi and Aulie, losing him would suck a bit, but wouldn't be awful. I expect Toronto to be picking somewhere around 10th-18th, and Edmonton to be picking somewhere around 2nd-6th (as high as 1st if they win the lotto, but I expect them to finish with the 2nd-6th worst record), the chance to get a really top notch talent would be too much to pass up for me. Schenn is quite good, but not a total game changer, even if there's only like a 10% chance that the Edmonton pick is high enough to get one of Yakupov/Grigorenko, that's still a 10% chance to get a total star, and we'd be getting a pretty prime prospect no matter what, even if the pick was more in the 4-6 range I'd be fine with someone like Murray or Galchenyuk.

I would see this deal as a bit of a gamble, but one with a lot of upside (a shot at one of Yakupov/Grigorenko), and not too much downside (Schenn + mid 1st for someone like Murray or Galchenyuk isn't too bad).

I don't think Edmonton pulls the trigger now though, too much risk, they'd wanna make sure their pick wasn't top 2 before considering this seriously, but for the Leafs if the pick has no shot at being top 2, we're probably not that interested.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:51 PM
TML4eva*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyungnam View Post
Nope. Neither is schenn a scrub, but he's no where near people of doughty's ilk.
nvm.

TML4eva* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:55 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

no. schenn isn't going anywhere.... just because we included him in the getzlaf rumours doesn't mean we want to give him away..... we would have to to get him. counter offer,

Jordan Eberle +2nd

Toronto's 1st

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:00 PM
oilWILDcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
no. schenn isn't going anywhere.... just because we included him in the getzlaf rumours doesn't mean we want to give him away..... we would have to to get him. counter offer,

Jordan Eberle +2nd

Toronto's 1st
No thanks.

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Brian28

Quote:

Jordan Eberle +2nd
Toronto's 1st

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Most people don't see him as a 3rd pairing D but rather a #3 solid shut down d-man.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Kyungnam

Quote:
nvm.
My bad. Read your comment as #3 defenseman not third pairing as you wrote down.

Kyungnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:08 PM
veedubn1

I don't see any #1 C's in this draft that areready to step in right away and play big minutes in the NHL... I highly doubt much thought was put into the OP.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:09 PM
veedubn1

Quote:

Jordan Eberle +2nd

Toronto's 1st
another thoughtless proposal. why bother posting this?

Eberle is awesome and worth much more than a mid first rounder.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:13 PM
WWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
You guys expect to get Yakupov, Murray or Grigorenko for a mid round 1st and Schenn? Decrease expectations, it won't happen.
Ummm...Nobody expects that at all. Question was asked Schenn and 1st for Edmonton 1st. Leafs fans say sure if it's a top 3 pick. The Leafs are currently not shopping these 2 assets and would only consider moving them for say a top 3 pick or maybe a number 1 center.

WWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:18 PM
IWD

Edmonton is 5 points behind Buffalo, the team that's currently 22nd overall, and we're only halfway through the season. Adding Schenn to their team without subtracting anyone off their roster would make them noticibly better. The Leaf pick would become worse, and the Oiler pick would become better. Conceivably, these teams could end up still picking within five picks.

As well, everyone knew what Schenn's skillset was when he was drafted, and yet he was still projected as a top five pick. That hasn't changed, and he's still exactly in his development where he should be, other than his penalty killing.

Not only that, but Toronto is trying to make the playoffs. We're not going to wait another 2-3 years for a guy who may or may not become a top center.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:32 PM
nzoilerfan

EDM wouldn't be foolish enoughto give up their first round pick.

I would prefer a deal centered around Paajarvi for Schenn.

nzoilerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:45 PM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoilerfan View Post

I'm sure you would, but I don't think you'd get Aulie at this point. 0 goals and 4 points. His value is low, and his bust potential is high. You'd be better off waiting to see if he comes around because the return wouldn't be very much unless he shows he can duplicate his rookie season.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:46 PM
REALTALK81
Pro Log Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
I don't see any #1 C's in this draft that areready to step in right away and play big minutes in the NHL... I highly doubt much thought was put into the OP.
Maybe not right away but I think Galchenyuk could be in a couple of years and if Edm pick is top 3 Grigorenko, Murray etc would suit the Leafs fine.

My whole proposal is based on high risk high reward for both teams. Edm could get Schenn and a top 5 pick should the Leafs drop in standings giving them Schenn + Grigorenko or even Murray/Dumba that would give them two solid Dmen to add to their already good young core. Or they could give their lottery pick to the Leafs for Schenn + late first.

The Leafs could end up with a lottery pick and pick a player like Grigorenko or they could end up with a mid round pick should the Oil pick up their play.

It has a chance to burn either teams but I was wondering if the risk was worth the rewards.

REALTALK81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
this really depends on which pick Edmonton gets and which one the Leafs get.

If our pick ends up in the early 20s or later and edmonton landed at #1 again then I imagine that's a no from edmonton. And vice versa it's only the halfway point in the season the Leafs could bomb in the second half with injuries or poor play while Edmonton could surge, trade could end up being 13th overal for Schenn and 12th.

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:14 PM
edruga

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
Edmonton is 5 points behind Buffalo, the team that's currently 22nd overall, and we're only halfway through the season. Adding Schenn to their team without subtracting anyone off their roster would make them noticibly better. The Leaf pick would become worse, and the Oiler pick would become better. Conceivably, these teams could end up still picking within five picks.

As well, everyone knew what Schenn's skillset was when he was drafted, and yet he was still projected as a top five pick. That hasn't changed, and he's still exactly in his development where he should be, other than his penalty killing.

Not only that, but Toronto is trying to make the playoffs. We're not going to wait another 2-3 years for a guy who may or may not become a top center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
I'm sure you would, but I don't think you'd get Aulie at this point. 0 goals and 4 points. His value is low, and his bust potential is high. You'd be better off waiting to see if he comes around because the return wouldn't be very much unless he shows he can duplicate his rookie season.
Hey! Get outta here with your logic! What do you think this place is!?

edruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:28 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoilerfan View Post

You can have Aulie instead.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:57 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercilious View Post
Pretty sure that I've seen you in the Philly/Leafs thread saying that Schenn isnt too different value-wise from JVR. (a 2nd overall pick)

you tack on a top 15 pick (1st rounder) with Schenn and im saying that its quite a bit of value the leafs are giving up.

Obviously Schenn and a 1st wouldnt get any of edmontons big 3, but if the leafs were to be shopping that kind of package, theyd be swinging for the fences, not for a 1st round pick in return.
Schenn and Jvr do have very similar value, but that's mainly because they are both underperforming up to this point in their respective careers, but rnh and hall are 2 first overall players chosen in the past couple years, and eberle is a young extremely gifted forward who already leads the team in points if I'm not mistaken. I think it's pretty safe to say that any 3 of them have more value than both schenn and Jvr.

But value aside, do you really think the oil would be up for trading any of 3 of the absolute top young forwards in the league for a mid first round pick and an underperforming defenseman? If Luke schenn we at his potential right now, I still don't think the oilers would take a chance like that.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Eskimo44

I'd think a Schenn for Paajarvi deal would be of possible benifit to both teams.

Eskimo44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:41 PM
JMecc
#FireLowe

I'm chuckling about Lowe & Burke discussing this, both thinking heh heh his team sucks; this will be a great deal for me.

Last edited by JMecc: 01-16-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: typo on chuckling
JMecc is online now   Reply With Quote