HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Saw some amazing 9 year olds today but....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2012, 05:50 PM
  #1
happyhab*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Saw some amazing 9 year olds today but....

I saw some amazing 9 year old hockey players today, also heard that some of there parents are so crazy that they moved from different areas to play for this specific areas, buying houses in certain areas so they wouldn't be considered imports.

First of all I couldn't believe there were that many crazy parents in hockey, but these kids were damn good. Now my question for those with EXPERIENCE is how long do these kids stay at the top like this?? What are the parents doing to these kids to make them like this??

PLease answer if you know or have experienced a crazy parent like this or is it really just a childs passion.

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:36 PM
  #2
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 6,586
vCash: 500
Everyone thinks their kid is the next Crosby because he is running show in the local league.

The thing is, the parents could give them everything in the world to make it to the NHL, but if the kid isn't driven to do it, he won't succeed.

Crosby is Crosby because:

1. He's naturally gifted (God given talent + genes)
2. He grew up in a strong hockey area
3. He's the hardest working player in the world

Alot of kids get by on 2 of those things, but usually don't become NHLers because they don't have all 3.


But to answer your question, they stay at the top until they move away to Jr's (15-16). Then all of a sudden your in a league where every kid was running show in their local league. The kids who dominate in those leagues have good shots at staying on top, but theres always another league where someones alot better than you. It's always an uphill battle and few make it.

Lets put it this way:

In 1985, a study was done in Ontario, Canada for all 10 year-old hockey players. At this time, there were 22,000 10 year-olds playing hockey in Ontario. Of these players only 110 made it to the OHL (Ontario Hockey League) and 22 more received scholarships to Division 1 schools.

This means that only 132 out of those 22,000 made it into the top feeder leagues for the NHL. Of those 132 players, only 7 played in the NHL.

7 out of 22,000. And I bet you've never even heard of those 7.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:43 PM
  #3
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
The best player on my son's 12 year old PeeWee team is a 9 year old who, based on age, should be playing his first year of Squirts...

Life is funny sometimes.

Oh and he's a wonderful kid and his parents aren't nutty in the least.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:52 PM
  #4
Velociraptor
Registered User
 
Velociraptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maritimes
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Everyone thinks their kid is the next Crosby because he is running show in the local league.

The thing is, the parents could give them everything in the world to make it to the NHL, but if the kid isn't driven to do it, he won't succeed.

Crosby is Crosby because:

1. He's naturally gifted (God given talent + genes)
2. He grew up in a strong hockey area
3. He's the hardest working player in the world

Alot of kids get by on 2 of those things, but usually don't become NHLers because they don't have all 3.


But to answer your question, they stay at the top until they move away to Jr's (15-16). Then all of a sudden your in a league where every kid was running show in their local league. The kids who dominate in those leagues have good shots at staying on top, but theres always another league where someones alot better than you. It's always an uphill battle and few make it.

Lets put it this way:

In 1985, a study was done in Ontario, Canada for all 10 year-old hockey players. At this time, there were 22,000 10 year-olds playing hockey in Ontario. Of these players only 110 made it to the OHL (Ontario Hockey League) and 22 more received scholarships to Division 1 schools.

This means that only 132 out of those 22,000 made it into the top feeder leagues for the NHL. Of those 132 players, only 7 played in the NHL.

7 out of 22,000. And I bet you've never even heard of those 7.
That, my friend is spot-on.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:24 AM
  #5
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 747
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhab View Post
First of all I couldn't believe there were that many crazy parents in hockey, but these kids were damn good. Now my question for those with EXPERIENCE is how long do these kids stay at the top like this?? What are the parents doing to these kids to make them like this??

PLease answer if you know or have experienced a crazy parent like this or is it really just a childs passion.
Well, this really isn't an easy answer. Every kid has the ability to make it to the NHL, it just a matter of how bad do they really want it. Yes, every kids wants to play in the NHL and feel that they will do whatever it takes.

But there are so many things that get in the way to keep kids from reaching those dreams and goals. One of the major problems are mental walls. Most kids can only handle so much pressure and then they quit. Not just kids, but adults as well.

Mental walls are harder then physical walls, because mental walls start you thinking..."is this is really what you want to do?" Mental walls test you with each stride. If you have ever been in a 5 day power skating class in which you were skating 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening for the next 5 days, after the second hour, the wall come slapping you in the face.

Then, once you get to the point in which you are about to say screw it, family members have a tendency to say it's okay for you to stop because they don't want to see you suffer. Generally it sounds like this...

"Now just dry your eyes, and Oh, it's okay to quit and maybe next time you will not set you goals so high!"

But most players really need a support group. Now support group members shouldn't be the kind of members that will say..."Yeah, I know what you are going through, and I tried the same thing and I didn't get anywhere as well, and if I couldn't make it, there's no way on earth you could make it! (as he places their arm around the player)

A support person really should sound like this...."Did you not say that this is that you wanted to do and if this is what you said you wanted to do, then I suggest you suck it up and get your act together and stop whinning!"

However, the difference between an amatuer and a pro is 6 inches between the ears. If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't...your right! Professional hockey players are where they are in life because they made sacrifices others didn't want to do. Example...

When you are 15 years old, what's better...going out with friends to go see a movie, or stay home and do extra home work for school? Most people would say...what's the big deal, kids need to go have fun. Kids need to be kids and enjoy themselves.

Most hockey players don't like to skate, they only want to shoot. But they don't understand that 80% of hockey is skating...not shooting. This is the reason only so many kids don't make it. Because the movies, girls, camping, baseball, soccer, chess...blah, blah, blah...gets in the way.

Head Coach

__________________
Hundreds of Hockey Drill for FREE at http://www.passthepuck.net
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:47 AM
  #6
Kritter471
Registered User
 
Kritter471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,714
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I disagree with the notion that every kid has the ability to get to the NHL. Every kid has the ability to have fun playing hockey and to become a very good player, but it takes a combination of really special talent to even get considered for the NHL.

A kid who grows up to be 5-6, 145 and not particularly fast will never make the NHL no matter how much he wants it or how hard he works, just like someone with a tin ear will never be a musician or someone who can't visualize in 3D will probably not be an engineer. Talent (genetic, god-given, whatever) is rare.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:29 AM
  #7
Eleven
Solid As The Sun
 
Eleven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 950
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Eleven Send a message via AIM to Eleven
I like Harv's answer, but I wouldn't 100% agree with #2.

I wouldn't call Cincinnati a strong hockey area (or is it?) and they produced Tyler Biggs...he had #1 and #3 for sure but Cincy is really just getting started on developing an elite youth hockey program.

I know, its fluky but non-conventional areas can produce talent if #'s 1 and 3 are dominate. My kid plays in Cincinnati, his coaches are constantly pounding in their heads about the work ethic. And they always use Crosby as the example. He's not the biggest, he's not the fastest, he's not the best sniper, but every single night he is the hardest working player on the ice. And it's obvious that he is also the hardest working player off the ice as well.

All in all, great post Harv!

Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:47 AM
  #8
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 6,586
vCash: 500
A strong hockey area is when several NHLers are coming out of the same hometown. Look at Welland, Ontario .. they produced 10 NHLers.

But it's much more than that. Hockey has to dominate the region. It can't be an afterthought and a niche sport. That produces the best competition for young players to develop. If a player is dominating his local league it isn't doing him any good. He's in for a surprise when he goes away to a high end program. It happens to 100s of kids every year. Those same old moves don't work against the big boys and often kids struggle and often get frustrated when coaches and fans aren't kissing their ass every game. It happens.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:35 PM
  #9
mbhhofr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
I disagree with the notion that every kid has the ability to get to the NHL. Every kid has the ability to have fun playing hockey and to become a very good player, but it takes a combination of really special talent to even get considered for the NHL.

A kid who grows up to be 5-6, 145 and not particularly fast will never make the NHL no matter how much he wants it or how hard he works, just like someone with a tin ear will never be a musician or someone who can't visualize in 3D will probably not be an engineer. Talent (genetic, god-given, whatever) is rare.
Although I was Old School (Original Six) this was what I experienced, not as a player but as an official. I was lucky not to have my father push me. I was self driven. I can recall when I was sixteen, asking my high school guidance councilor what I had to do to become an NHL Official. He just looked at me with crossed eyes. When I was seventeen, the comment next to my graduation picture, in the school year book, said that I was one of the smallest guys in school and I wanted to be a professional hockey referee. I made it to Jr. and minor pro hockey two years later. I was 5'7" and 120 lbs. Two years after that, I was invited to try out for a Linesman position in the NHL. I still have the letter sent to me by Carl Voss, the then RIC of the NHL, after I was sent home. He felt that I had the ability to succeed in professional hockey when I overcome my lack of weight handicap. After the first NHL expansion, I was used as Emergency Replacement Linesman and got to live my dream.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:23 PM
  #10
1stoverall
Registered User
 
1stoverall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 464
vCash: 500
This means nothing when i was that age i was playing AAA hockey in Toronto. Only a couple people i played with back then went onto play OHL and NCAA. Im 24 now slow and lazy in beer league.

1stoverall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:45 PM
  #11
holikwillfindyou
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: booville
Country: United States
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
Although I was Old School (Original Six) this was what I experienced, not as a player but as an official. I was lucky not to have my father push me. I was self driven. I can recall when I was sixteen, asking my high school guidance councilor what I had to do to become an NHL Official. He just looked at me with crossed eyes. When I was seventeen, the comment next to my graduation picture, in the school year book, said that I was one of the smallest guys in school and I wanted to be a professional hockey referee. I made it to Jr. and minor pro hockey two years later. I was 5'7" and 120 lbs. Two years after that, I was invited to try out for a Linesman position in the NHL. I still have the letter sent to me by Carl Voss, the then RIC of the NHL, after I was sent home. He felt that I had the ability to succeed in professional hockey when I overcome my lack of weight handicap. After the first NHL expansion, I was used as Emergency Replacement Linesman and got to live my dream.
great read.

holikwillfindyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:55 AM
  #12
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Every kid has the ability to make it to the NHL, it just a matter of how bad do they really want it.
Head Coach
Perhaps the dumbest joke I've ever read............

Oh, wait, you were serious???

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:04 PM
  #13
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 682
vCash: 2466
Ha I have a 10 year old goalie AA and I have heard stories about sexual favors to coaches just to get the kid 2 more shifts per game or kids having to move in with Grandma because the local hockey association won't release a player who was passed for the AA team, and picked up by another AA team.

Rep hockey can be a crazy place for adults, The kids usually just play hockey.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:22 PM
  #14
UvBnDatsyuked
Registered User
 
UvBnDatsyuked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Perhaps the dumbest joke I've ever read............

Oh, wait, you were serious???
There are two types of kids who say they want to play in the NHL

#1 Those that say it and do not even come close to putting in the hours to make it happen
#2 Those that say it and spends hours upon hours a week doing everyting within their power to make it happen

The point he was making was that most kids who say they are working towards the NHL would be absolutely floored by the dedication and time spent by kids who are actually on the real path to it. The power is more in the individuals hands than most want to believe.

A lot of people love to make themselves feel good by acting like those that make it to the NHL had some genetic quality that is mutant like. It is easier to believe that than believe that they truly didn't want it as bad as the kid who made it.

I know a kid who shoots 500 shots a week and thinks he is doing some amazing work towards his goal. He didn't believe me when I told him that I know of two kids who are shooting over 4,000 shots a week during school year and 1,000 shots a day during the summer.

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:50 AM
  #15
Guffaw
Registered User
 
Guffaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Drexel Hill PA
Country: United States
Posts: 495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post

Crosby is Crosby because:

1. He's naturally gifted (God given talent + genes)
2. He grew up in a strong hockey area
3. He's the hardest working player in the world

Alot of kids get by on 2 of those things, but usually don't become NHLers because they don't have all 3.

Extremely well put and I could not agree more. The elite are a perfect storm of genetics, coaching, work ethic, and opportunity.

That being said, there are players competing at high levels that perhaps aren't the most gifted skaters/best athletes etc. However, they bring something else to the table. Smart player, positionally sound, etc.

Just giving guys like me that weren't built with tree trunk legs and stamina for days some hope

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 08:04 AM
  #16
Guffaw
Registered User
 
Guffaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Drexel Hill PA
Country: United States
Posts: 495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Well, this really isn't an easy answer. Every kid has the ability to make it to the NHL, it just a matter of how bad do they really want it.
I respect your opinion and think that's a great thing to tell young players to motivate them.

However, there are just too many variables that need to be in place for a kid to have a shot.

Genes-some people just aren't athletes. The world needs engineers and accountants too.

Geography-I'll speak for my area at least(PA,NJ,DE). 1) Your family needs $$ for club level ice time and travel from a young age. PA is no hockey hot bed and I can tell you right now the only players I know of from this area that made it played Little/Junior Flyers from a very young age and then went on to prep school. The average family can't afford that. Mine couldn't. In house and high school leagues in non hockey areas and you have zero shot. Simply not enough ice time, quality coaching, or a high enough level of play.

I have family in Canada and they seem to think it's not the same up there regarding the money. Down here if you aren't upper middle class or higher your chances are extremely slim as if they weren't already.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.