HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pegula bought First Arena in Elmira?

Old
01-17-2012, 03:34 PM
michaelsaas

vCash: 500
with this move we can get a real jump on player development. We might be able to remove a player's heart and drive for winning before they even make it to the AHL!

sorry my mini vent for the day lol

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:27 AM
jfb392

Perhaps Pegula is looking at purchasing the Wheeling Nailers, who are apparently for sale.
Gwinnett is a successful team, so I don't see why they'd be moved.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:34 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Most organizations send less than a handful of players to the ECHL every year.

I was a big proponent of having an ECHL affiliate, but owning one is just a waste of money.
When your net worth is over 4 billion dollars, it's wise to have as much of that money put into assets as opposed to cash given the hefty tax implications that come with that kind of money.

I understand the feeling on owning one, but it's hardly a "waste of money".
If you ask Pegula, or any other individual who makes a good chunk of change, I am more than sure they will tell down to a person the real waste of money would be to allow the Federal Government to tax it and take a chunk of it unnecessarily, and then spend it foolishly.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:40 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Perhaps Pegula is looking at purchasing the Wheeling Nailers, who are apparently for sale.
Gwinnett is a successful team, so I don't see why they'd be moved.
That would make sense then; I guess.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:41 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Most organizations send less than a handful of players to the ECHL every year.

I was a big proponent of having an ECHL affiliate, but owning one is just a waste of money.
It's his money to waste if he wants to.

Why object to this? He probably makes enough money in investment income each month to cover this purchase. It's nothing.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:57 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Other possibilities beyond the Sabres / Hockey Heaven focus:

Purchase may also factor into his thoughts / strategy to build the PSU program.
It's about the same distance / time from Elmira to BUF as it is from Elmira to State College. (Although there are obviously several AHL and ECHL franchises in PA.)

(I've been on the practice rink at First Arena, but have only seen the other side with more seating where the Jackals play. FYI if you ever go there, I suggest parking a block away by the Chemung river, and walking over. Parking can be a problem immediately ringing the arena itself.)

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:48 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Other possibilities beyond the Sabres / Hockey Heaven focus:

Purchase may also factor into his thoughts / strategy to build the PSU program.
It's about the same distance / time from Elmira to BUF as it is from Elmira to State College. (Although there are obviously several AHL and ECHL franchises in PA.)

(I've been on the practice rink at First Arena, but have only seen the other side with more seating where the Jackals play. FYI if you ever go there, I suggest parking a block away by the Chemung river, and walking over. Parking can be a problem immediately ringing the arena itself.)
Unfortunatly there is a lot of PSU fans this way.

As for this rumor I have heard everything being mentioned here but I have no first hand sources. Anybody here know if this is true? I can tell you the Assistant GM just quit to buy a baseball team and the GM just quit(though he may return, him and the owner are butting heads) and 4 job positions were just posted on Craig's List last week.

I can say that there is a market here with a solid fan base but the owner is everything wrong with this market. The guy is a glorified crook, he got banned from the American Hockey League for life after the Louisville Panthers debocile.

I would ask if any Sabres fans here know Craig Rivet on a personal level. I don't, he seems like a good honest guy and he feels that the difference between this league and the NHL isn't as far as you would think. It's al;l a mindset. There are very talented guys in this league, its the little things they are missing. Things that could be worked on unfortunatly most teams don';t have assistants due to finances. With some coaches to help at practice it could make a big difference. Guys can move up the ladder. Jonathon Quick and Dan Ellis are goalie examples. look at David desharnais in Montreal.

Isn't the word on the CBA thats expiring that they want to increase the number of contracts to like 60(which would go a long way to an ECHL team)

I know the owner right now gets everything regarding the concessions and what not so TPegs could make some cash off this team. The only bad thing is after 12 years the arena could use some maintenance.

So does anybody know where this is at during this point and time?

I will say if its true I would LOVE to hear Pegula's offer because our owner has been offered $17 million before and turned it down.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:08 PM
tazman911

we will have to keep a close eye on this little matter.

tazman911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Nibbler

This should help in player development. The ECHL is a pretty good league, and this can provide a place for some NCAA players who aren't used to the pro game, and Junior players who aren't quite ready for the AHL. I doubt Elmira will see many bluechippers make their way through town, but it would be good for developing 3rd and 4th liners I would think.

It's also good for goaltender development since you can theoretically give 2 goaltenders starting minutes in the minors, and still sign a veteran for your AHL team in case of injury.

EDIT: I guess I didn't realize Gwinett was already Buffalo's affiliate.

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:58 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahrahguy View Post
This should help in player development. The ECHL is a pretty good league, and this can provide a place for some NCAA players who aren't used to the pro game, and Junior players who aren't quite ready for the AHL. I doubt Elmira will see many bluechippers make their way through town, but it would be good for developing 3rd and 4th liners I would think.
Tough for skaters. From what I've seen in the ECHL the skill level isn't actually that different. It's more about hockey smarts and how players think the game and see the ice. There are some skaters in the ECHL who have wicked shots, even quite accurate. Just don't have the same feel for the game as NHLers.

You do run into some good players who for whatever reason just went undrafted and never got a good shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahrahguy View Post
It's also good for goaltender development since you can theoretically give 2 goaltenders starting minutes in the minors, and still sign a veteran for your AHL team in case of injury.
This. Goaltenders can see lots of ice time in the ECHL they wouldn't see in the NHL or maybe even the AHL if the NHL team has a lot of depth at the position.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:32 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Dacid Desharnais spent a year in this league and was incredible, look at him now...

I've seen guys in net go from the ECHL to NHL in one season. I believe Jonathon Quick comes to mind.

You can find some gems. It's really all a numbers game. This league has no Crosby/Ovechkin player types to be obviously vut it can produce All Stars(See Rich Peverly)

Old
01-27-2012, 06:17 AM
tazman911

Not looking good at the moment

tazman911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 06:15 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

County starts foreclosure on the arena:

http://www.wetmtv.com/news/local/sto...k5uMnuAbQ.cspx

Nobody is gunna want this thing now.

Before asking, YES the Afr's DO HAVE the money. Just google them and this will add uo.