HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best hockey games of all time?

Old
01-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Canadiens Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I'm well aware of the political climate at the time.

But this wasn't a Canada Cup or a Summit Series, it was one of many exhibition games touring Soviet teams played against NHL and WHA team's during the 70's. Was this honestly considered some monumental event at the time?
Without getting too much into the subject, since I have written a book on the game and the events surrounding it ...

http://www.amazon.ca/Greatest-Game-M...7075033&sr=1-3

In the pre-game buildup the game was seen as a matchup between the two preeminent and historically most successful club teams in the hockey world.

Also this was the first time that many of the stand out players on Team Canada -Dryden, Cournoyer, Pete Mahovlich, Savard etc ... had played the Soviets since 1972.

There was also a strong feeling, especially within the Canadian media, that a loss by Montreal in this game would "prove" that the Soviets had surpassed Canada as a hockey nation.

And finally, in talking with many of the people present at the game that night there is general agreement that as a sporting "event" this is was the greatest and most memorable that they ever attended.

Canadiens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:57 PM
tombombadil

-All 3 in 87, as most have said
'98 - Czechs vs Canada. Have to admit it. It wasn't necessarily the game play, it was just the tension and drama. Could this start-studded lineup actually lose? How many times can Hasek produce a miracle? It also made me wonder what would happen if Buffalo had Jagr.
2006 - Sweden-Finland. Didn't know who to pull for - the scrappy Finns, or that great generation of Swedes with a hobbled Forsberg with his beard making him look like he should be wearing horns on his helmet. All i knew for sure was that these two teams had both finally gotten to the big stage, after years of being so good, and so overlooked. And it was a great game. Tight checking, hard fought... ends with Forsberg to Sundin to Lidstrom - how perfect is that? The only downside of it was that I felt like I was the only person in Canada watching it, aside from the announcers, who just sounded depressed.

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:01 PM
tombombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
I'm not sure but I do know one thing; it probably happened at the WJC (imo).
i agree with you from the angle that the drama is always huge in Juniors. My problem, and i did think about listing some, is that when I go between Juniors and NHL on the tv, I can't help but notice all the bad passes, missed checks, and (aside from this year) weak goals. Te passion is through the roof, but it just seems low end compared to the men.

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:18 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
Without getting too much into the subject, since I have written a book on the game and the events surrounding it ...

In the pre-game buildup the game was seen as a matchup between the two preeminent and historically most successful club teams in the hockey world.

Also this was the first time that many of the stand out players on Team Canada -Dryden, Cournoyer, Pete Mahovlich, Savard etc ... had played the Soviets since 1972.

There was also a strong feeling, especially within the Canadian media, that a loss by Montreal in this game would "prove" that the Soviets had surpassed Canada as a hockey nation.

And finally, in talking with many of the people present at the game that night there is general agreement that as a sporting "event" this is was the greatest and most memorable that they ever attended.
I got your book for Christmas, I would highly recommend it to everyone here.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Canadiens Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
I got your book for Christmas, I would highly recommend it to everyone here.
Much appreciated and thanks for the kind words.

Canadiens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Redwingsfan84

Single greatest regular season game of the modern era = Fight night at the Joe.

Redwingsfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post

Interesting, thanks for the response. I'll check out the book one of these days.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeRyaneClowe View Post
1994 Canucks-Rangers Game 1 of the Cup finals

Probably the best single game performance by a goaltender (Kirk McLean)

Game 7, 1989 first round Calgary-Vancouver.

Flames won 4-3 in OT, scored with less than a minute to go in first OT. Vernon and McLean (again) put on a show in the overtime with their team's season on the line.

Game 1, 1990 Cup Finals Edmonton-Boston

Oilers won 3-2 in triple OT, Petr Kilima with game winner on his only shot of the game. Glen Wesley shoots backhander over open net in OT. Bourque scores both Bruisn goals to bring B's back, Ranford unbelievable in goal for Oilers.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:15 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
Islanders @ Pens '93 patrick finals Game 7! Isles ahead 3-1 because of two horrible goals let in by Barrasso, and amazing goaltending by Glen Healy. but the pens tie it up in the last 5 minutes. David Volek scores the OT winner and silences the igloo!
I often wonder if that Pens team could sleep for the next year. I would stay up nights and wonder how in blazes that team lost to the Islanders with that lineup. It has to hurt losing out on a chance for a dynasty on the heels of......Glenn Healy. Plus it isn't as if the Pens won the next year. That was it for that team, this wasn't a Steve Smith moment where the Oilers still won three Cups afterwards. The Pens were finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Bob Brooke point blank on Billy Smith for what would have been the winning goal in OT.

Time stopped.

So did my heart.

So did the puck, care of #31.

The dynasty did not stop (for several more weeks).
Yeah, just a perfect example of why Billy Smith (and Grant Fuhr for that matter) are goalies you cannot solely judge by stats alone. Smith was remarkable in that dynasty and he also kept them alive in 1982 in that overtime game against the Penguins pending an elimination. He made a huge clutch save on Paul Gardiner that would have ended their run of two in a row at that time. Maybe Mike Liut lets that in? And guess who I want on my team when the chips are down, Smith or Liut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombombadil View Post
i agree with you from the angle that the drama is always huge in Juniors. My problem, and i did think about listing some, is that when I go between Juniors and NHL on the tv, I can't help but notice all the bad passes, missed checks, and (aside from this year) weak goals. Te passion is through the roof, but it just seems low end compared to the men.
Just off the top of my head:

Canada/Russia 1991 - The John Slaney goal with precious minutes left in the game. Decided the gold medal

Canada/Russia 2009 - Just a game you still can't believe happened. Eberle scoring with 5 seconds left to tie it.

Canada/USA 2010 - Yeah we lost, but what a game that was. Highs and lows. Canada with a 3-1 lead. USA with a 5-3 lead. Two goals by Eberle in the final two minutes. A bad pinch job in overtime leading to the game winner. The Canadian streak ended that day.

Excellent, excellent games, very worthy of the NHL level even if they were 19 year olds. They weren't the 1987 Canada Cup, but............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Game 7, 1989 first round Calgary-Vancouver.

Flames won 4-3 in OT, scored with less than a minute to go in first OT. Vernon and McLean (again) put on a show in the overtime with their team's season on the line.
I know many disagree with me here, but I feel that 1989 is what puts Vernon over the top for the HHOF. And that overtime in Game 7 is where it started. He was spectacular and really saved the bacon of the Flames in that game.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:28 AM
sharks9

For me personally it was the 2010 gold medal game between Canada and the USA.

As a Habs fan there were also a few games during the 2010 playoff run where Halak stood on his head that were great to watch.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:27 PM
agentblack

vCash: 50
2010 WJC Gold medal game. Electric crowd. Goals. OT. Eberle. USA GOLD!

1993 WCQF gm7 DET v. TOR. Maybe one of the best playoff games ever, and definitely one of the best OT celebrations

FIGHT NIGHT. As an Avs fan its a hard game to watch, but as a hockey fan it had everything, EVERYTHING. Rivalry, goals, OT, blood, fights. Genuine hatred. missing the event.

1991 Division Semi-final Gm 7 EDM v. CGY Oil down by 3, comeback and win in OT

94 Con.Final Gm6 NYR v. NJ playoff classic at a time when win guarantees were somewhat rare. To say that playing in a sports hotbed like NYC with the pressure on his back knowing everyone would wake up the next to read that and then deliver a trick in comeback fashion.

Last edited by agentblack: 01-23-2012 at 07:53 PM.
agentblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Vladiator

2011 WJC Final - best comeback ever!

Vladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:19 PM
PhillyBluesFan

2000 Playoffs, Eastern Conference Semi-Finals, Game 3, Flyers vs Pens.

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:47 PM
shao01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
For me personally it was the 2010 gold medal game between Canada and the USA.

As a Habs fan there were also a few games during the 2010 playoff run where Halak stood on his head that were great to watch.
This and also the 6-5 comeback game over Rangers a few years ago.

shao01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:38 AM
tjcurrie

Some of my favorites:

I watched the Isles vs Caps marathon in 1987, though I was rather young and kept asking my Dad, "What if they play til midnight ?" "They keep playing." "What about if they play til 3 in the morning ?" " They keep playing." "What if they play til tomorrow ?" " They keep playing."

Game 2 in the 1991 Canada Cup final - Canada vs USA

2000 WCF game 7 Dallas 2 Colorado 2

2000 SCF game 5 triple OT Dallas 1 New Jersey 0

2008 game 6 2nd round Dallas 2 San Jose 1 4OT

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:10 PM
nutbar

Canada vs USSR 1984 Canada Cup
Canada vs Sweden 2003 world championship final

two OT classics

Last edited by nutbar: 01-24-2012 at 05:25 PM.
nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:18 PM
mooseOAK*

One that doesn't get mentioned much is Super Series USSR vs. Calgary Flames in that arena that they used before the Saddledome in 1983.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:23 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
2000 Playoffs, Eastern Conference Semi-Finals, Game 3, Flyers vs Pens.
If you mean the 5OT game, that was game 4.

Andy Delmore won game 3 early in the first OT.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Rickkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
According to many the "greatest game ever played" was held on December 31st, 1975 at the Montreal Forum between the ascending Habs with Dryden, Lafleur, Shutt, Robinson et al vs. the Soviet Red Army Team, whose line-up included most of the players from the 72 Summit Series. Ended in a 3-3 tie... Tretiak was beyond sensational, the ebb & flow of the game, the artistry incredible. Clean. No garbage or cheap shots, intimidation tactics.... At the time, Philly had won its 2nd Stanley Cup & with the exception of Montreal most of the teams were & the NHL/WHA game was pretty brutal. Clutch & grab, hacking, slashing, fights breaking out every 5 minutes, bench clearing brawls. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed some of that as well, but for "pure hockey" no one did it better than the Habs of that era, one of the greatest teams of all time against the brilliant Russians. Incredible game.

This, without a doubt.

Rickkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Evincar
Not God, Grodd

Buffalo vs Ottawa Game 1 Round 2 2006 playoffs.

Great back and forth action.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:27 AM
alko

This year, April 15th

Flyers - Penguins. That game was great. It has all, lot of goals, lot of heat...

Btw. Is any place, where i can find here mentioned old games NHL videos?

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 05:59 AM
VMBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
This, without a doubt.
Without a doubt? Yeah right.

If it had been the Red Army team who had dominated the game so heavily (as the Habs did), would anyone - except Russians - still talk about the matchup, let alone call it the greatest game ever??? Just saying. You can talk about the game's supposed 'importance' and it being the antithesis of Flyers hockey, but judging it strictly as a game, there's absolutely no way it is the greatest ever played - not even near. IMO it was not even the best game of the series, this was:

Last edited by VMBM: 09-13-2012 at 06:55 AM. Reason: tautology
VMBM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 08:02 PM
mitch27

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought the Flames-Canucks playoff series in 04 was amazing. Definitely not close to the best of all time, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I often wonder if that Pens team could sleep for the next year. I would stay up nights and wonder how in blazes that team lost to the Islanders with that lineup. It has to hurt losing out on a chance for a dynasty on the heels of......Glenn Healy.
Even more amazing when you consider that the Isles played that entire series with Pierre Turgeon sidelined due to Dale Hunter's stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
1996 World Cup final Game #3 - Even as a Canadian I can appreciate this game the way it was. A clutch performance by Richter not once, but 15 times! That guy made so many saves that were sure goals I thought I was going to faint. In a just world Canada wins that game 8-2 and just based on the scoring chances it wouldn't have surprised me. Lots of things to like about this game. Two physical teams who hated each other. Lots of lumber used in this game too. The Montreal crowd was electric. The Coffey to Gretzky pass with a minute left where the puck hops over the stick of Gretzky. In a way that symbolized that old Oilers dynasty. If it were 10 years earlier that puck goes in but I think it was almost a metaphor letting two great players know their time at the top had passed
Sixteen years later and I still almost pass out watching that sequence on Youtube.

Last edited by Buck Aki Berg: 09-13-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:53 PM
57special

vCash: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Everyone talks about the NYE 1975 game, and rightly so, but one of my favorites was this game on NYE 1979:

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...-december-31st

Again, the Canadiens played the Red Army (actually their club team) to a boisterous crowd at the Forum. I saw this game live while I was too young to see the 1975 game. This was a Canadiens team that had lost Bowman, Dryden, Lemaire and Cournoyer from their SC team in 1979. They were still exciting and a force but ultimately bowed to the North Stars in the 1980 playoffs. The two players that stand out most to me were Lafleur and Gainey. They were flying on this night.

got to see that one. Great game! Some of the Nordiques/Habs and Oilers/Flames playoff series were remarkably intense

57special is offline   Reply With Quote