HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BELIEVE [Positive Thread Only]

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2012, 01:09 PM
HeShootsHeScores

vCash: 500
Miller Time, don't play it dumb. You knew what this thread was about. Clue : preventing tankers to post. If you don't want your team to win, just don't post in this thread. there are about 20 threads already that talks about tanking and having a 1st round superstar pick. Just bump one.

Old
01-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Bullsmith

Honestly though, would a top-5 pick be a bad thing? Adding a player of, perhaps, the quality of Price? Picking 5th in the second round is a significant opportunity to add a high-quality prospect too.

Hadn't read the thread, don't mean to stir up trouble. During the games I can't do anything but cheer on the Habs, I HATE losing. But at the same time I would hate to suffer through this season only to finish 9th in the East even more.

Old
01-17-2012, 01:23 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

while i agree with what you say, this thread is about one perspective really, which is making the po more then being positive about habs long term. its probably as one sided as the thousands of fire martrin fire everyone threads all this season. this thread is about blind faith more then anything. and i think thats just fine.

Old
01-17-2012, 01:27 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Honestly though, would a top-5 pick be a bad thing? Adding a player of, perhaps, the quality of Price? Picking 5th in the second round is a significant opportunity to add a high-quality prospect too.

Hadn't read the thread, don't mean to stir up trouble. During the games I can't do anything but cheer on the Habs, I HATE losing. But at the same time I would hate to suffer through this season only to finish 9th in the East even more.
disapointment goes hand in hand with belifs. i think thats fine if you can accept it. i dont think professionals ( in general, not just in sports) should adopt this "beliving" srtategy, but as fans, i think its a privilege!

Old
01-17-2012, 01:41 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Haha 2 wins this week and we are 4 points from 7-8.... This season is far from finished.

Old
01-17-2012, 02:41 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Didn't we say no jackasses allowed in this thread? (why are Grigorenko and 1st round picks being talked about in the ****ing POSITIVE thread?).
I forgot how 1st round picks and Grigorenko aren't positive

Old
01-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Bobby G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post
Came here to post this. I was posting it before every game during on ECF run.

Go Habs Go!

Old
01-17-2012, 03:04 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
Miller Time, don't play it dumb. You knew what this thread was about. Clue : preventing tankers to post. If you don't want your team to win, just don't post in this thread. there are about 20 threads already that talks about tanking and having a 1st round superstar pick. Just bump one.
The thread title: BELIEVE [Positive Thread Only]

If I believe tanking this year is positive why should I not be allowed to post here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
I know the Habs are in deeeeeeep waters but this coming week is the most important week, they need to beat these teams like Toronto, Buffalo, Washington etc..

Here is some inspiration.

*Positive Talking Only
Here's the original post. Positive Talking Only. I've pretty much said all along I wouldn't mind making the post season but if not drafting high and trading UFA for picks would be ideal.

It's as positive as anything. If people want to talk about tanking and are positive about the team I don't see where in this original post by the thread creator it says I can't do so. We can make a comeback, an epic comeback, it just might be next year that's all. Why people get so negative because of others being realistic yet positive is laughable.

Last edited by neofury*: 01-17-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old
01-17-2012, 03:07 PM
llamateizer

All I can say is go Carolina Go!

They play washington and pittsburgh
we play washington and pittsburgh

Old
01-17-2012, 03:09 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
maybe b/c some fans believe that ending up with an elite talent up front via the draft IS a positive

who are you to decide what positive means for everyone (and what sense does it make to make an obnoxious and obviously negative post in a positive thread )
I don't disagree with you and I usually do. And on top of that the original post clearly states it's about positive talk and believing in your team. I do believe in our team, doesn't mean I think we're making the playoffs and/or winning the cup this year. It does however mean if we do I'll be happy, but if we don't and are in lottery contention that is positive. The only negative being somewhere in the middle.

If people are going to be obnoxious because my form of positivity doesn't fit their little bubbles then **** those people. It's a discussion forum and the person who made the thread said it's about being positive, he didn't say "whatever coldplay deems relevant to the discussion."

Old
01-17-2012, 03:13 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I forgot how 1st round picks and Grigorenko aren't positive
thats positive - no doubt about that-

Old
01-17-2012, 03:18 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post

That's exactly what I was trying to say though definitely in a more eloquent way

I don't understand how these guys can bash when I'll follow this team through thick or thin, win or lose, for the rest of my life. Just because my positivity is more centered around a high pick, it doesn't mean I want this team to lose. If this team wins every game until the end of the season and then the cup obviously I'll be happy and support them, but if this team does poorly and loses every game until the end of the season and then picks Grigorenko or somebody who could rebuild this team almost over night... then yeah, I'll also be happy, where's the shame in that. It isn't like we haven't had a bad season thus far in the first 50%. I'm by no means saying things can't change or that we can't make it, just saying there's a lot of positivity in both angles. Maybe even more if we lose. At the end of the day I'm all for whatever makes us the better team over the next 5 seasons. If tanking can do that then so be it. And to the people thinking I'm saying the team should lose on purpose when I say tank, that's silly. No team will actually genuinely lose on purpose. This is some made up strategy people on an internet forum discuss. When I say tanking I just mean due to injuries and an overall bad season we may keep losing, not recover and end up with a high pick.

Don't see why there's shame in saying that. It's completely positive to want a young star center. I guess I'm saying I'll be happy either way but just not in the middle Go big or go home

Old
01-17-2012, 03:35 PM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Haha 2 wins this week and we are 4 points from 7-8.... This season is far from finished.
That's if Toronto, Winnipeg, Washington and Pittsburg loses all their games until Sunday.

Seriously, we need to win the next 3 games to still have a chance to make it. We would probably be still at 5 or 6 pts from 8th if we win them all but that would be a nice start.

Old
01-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
No team in 20 some odd years has ever come back and made the PO after being 10 pts behind at this stage of a season.
Well time to start winning if they are to change that!
Go Habs Go!
Buffalo Sabres last year?

Old
01-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
i didn't post anything about the draft status or "tanking" in this thread...

simply replied to an obnoxious post whose sole purpose was to be negative, in a thread that was supposed to be about being positive about the team.

what real fan doesn't want their team to win? some look at a big picture context, some focus on the short term, but i've yet to come across any real fan who legitimately watches an individual game and derives pleasure from a loss.

even the most ardent "tankers" (a label i'm hesitant to use, but you get the point), respond positively when the team scores/wins in GDT and react negatively to goals against/losses... even if the reality of the situation quickly allows them to feel better about it given the long-term context of moving closer to a higher draft pick/potential franchise player.

no playing dumb, just sick of the proverbial high horse approach that always leads to threads being derailed away from intelligent (if often overly emotional... fan does come from fanatic, does it not?) conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
while i agree with what you say, this thread is about one perspective really, which is making the po more then being positive about habs long term. its probably as one sided as the thousands of fire martrin fire everyone threads all this season. this thread is about blind faith more then anything. and i think thats just fine.
neo fury, gg, myself, and a few other posters obviously interpreted it slightly differently.

and until Coldplay's negative attack, the thread seemed to be moving along nicely.

Old
01-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
That's exactly what I was trying to say though definitely in a more eloquent way

I don't understand how these guys can bash when I'll follow this team through thick or thin, win or lose, for the rest of my life. Just because my positivity is more centered around a high pick, it doesn't mean I want this team to lose. If this team wins every game until the end of the season and then the cup obviously I'll be happy and support them, but if this team does poorly and loses every game until the end of the season and then picks Grigorenko or somebody who could rebuild this team almost over night... then yeah, I'll also be happy, where's the shame in that. It isn't like we haven't had a bad season thus far in the first 50%. I'm by no means saying things can't change or that we can't make it, just saying there's a lot of positivity in both angles. Maybe even more if we lose. At the end of the day I'm all for whatever makes us the better team over the next 5 seasons. If tanking can do that then so be it. And to the people thinking I'm saying the team should lose on purpose when I say tank, that's silly. No team will actually genuinely lose on purpose. This is some made up strategy people on an internet forum discuss. When I say tanking I just mean due to injuries and an overall bad season we may keep losing, not recover and end up with a high pick.

Don't see why there's shame in saying that. It's completely positive to want a young star center. I guess I'm saying I'll be happy either way but just not in the middle Go big or go home
The other factor to remember is that in this town the opportunity/nightmare of finishing in the bottom 5 is a rare occurrence. We have a group of good young players, and some overpaid older ones. If we do end up failing badly this year there is every reason to think that we could be ready to compete again quite quickly. The type of player we might trade away this year- Moen, AKost, Gill, will bring much more return at the trade deadline than any other time of year. Moving forward the team has deep pockets and can both bury bad contracts if necessary and spend to the cap to acquire new talent. Philly and the Rangers both find ways to open cap room without much trouble.

Long story short it's been an awful season so far for the fans. If we could turn that suffering into a genuine top prospec, the rare kind of talent that so rarely goes UFA and still be competing legitimately again as soon as next season, why wouldn't a fan want that. What is negative about an outcome like that?

I've spent a lot of time in Toronto. A great second half surge that will not get into the playoffs is not, in the end, a satisfying experience for the fans.

Old
01-17-2012, 04:41 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:

neo fury, gg, myself, and a few other posters obviously interpreted it slightly differently.

and until Coldplay's negative attack, the thread seemed to be moving along nicely.
Yea jackass was not apropriate, ok fine, my bad.

Point stands that this thread is not about the Positives of losing games with the result to draft high. Or at least was not meant for that. Pretty much over past couple months ALL the threads have been about losing, sucking, more losing, tanking, firing, trading, etc.

Do you Honestly think, this thread was made so people can come in here and be like
"OH yea.. we are in losing situation, hope we lose some more so we can draft yapokov and be happy" ?
You know the reason this thread is up, i don't see how it's so hard for people not to express their opinion on EVERY other thread. It's getting tiresome to hear all about losing.. drafting high.. people getting fired. That's obvious, its result of losing season. There is no discussion.

Also neofury seems to be trying very hard to channel his "pain" , so to speak, through the fact that we draft high. That and shelling himself to possibility that we lose 65+ % of our games, which makes watching the habs even more painful, no matter how happy it makes you to think your getting potential superstar. And i doubt if i tell anyone the losing result of a game that he will go ahead an watch it. You don't watch games for the result, you watch games for everything in between the start and the end. The less predictable the result, the better.
So most this drafting talk is just putting people's expectations low, belief becomes inexistant and the only thing left to discuss is the future of the habs and how we can do better. While that's great and all, and HF stands for hockey futures, some will like to still live the games, and enjoy the unpredictability of the game itself.

But i mean, no matter your reason, there are multiple threads where people can talk about losing and long term plans for the team.

/rant

Old
01-17-2012, 04:58 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Yea jackass was not apropriate, ok fine, my bad.

Point stands that this thread is not about the Positives of losing games with the result to draft high. Or at least was not meant for that. Pretty much over past couple months ALL the threads have been about losing, sucking, more losing, tanking, firing, trading, etc.

Do you Honestly think, this thread was made so people can come in here and be like
"OH yea.. we are in losing situation, hope we lose some more so we can draft yapokov and be happy" ?
You know the reason this thread is up, i don't see how it's so hard for people not to express their opinion on EVERY other thread. It's getting tiresome to hear all about losing.. drafting high.. people getting fired. That's obvious, its result of losing season. There is no discussion.

Also neofury seems to be trying very hard to channel his "pain" , so to speak, through the fact that we draft high. That and shelling himself to possibility that we lose 65+ % of our games, which makes watching the habs even more painful, no matter how happy it makes you to think your getting potential superstar. And i doubt if i tell anyone the losing result of a game that he will go ahead an watch it. You don't watch games for the result, you watch games for everything in between the start and the end. The less predictable the result, the better.
So most this drafting talk is just putting people's expectations low, belief becomes inexistant and the only thing left to discuss is the future of the habs and how we can do better. While that's great and all, and HF stands for hockey futures, some will like to still live the games, and enjoy the unpredictability of the game itself.

But i mean, no matter your reason, there are multiple threads where people can talk about losing and long term plans for the team.

/rant
What's the point of having a thread on a discussion board where people with opposing views aren't allowed to discuss though? (Not talking about opposing fanbases who are just looking to troll) Everyone here genuinely has the teams best interests at heart we all just have a different idea of how things should be.

If there's merit to what people are saying and they aren't attacking others and throwing the insults I don't get the issue. As far as I can tell the OP and title did not have any mention of not being able to discuss other potential positives.

Don't throw a discussion out there and then get sour when people give you unconventional answers in terms of what you are asking for. That is the entire point of this internet forum, if everyone has the same opinion there is no point to this thread.

PS: I still enjoy the games most nights even if we lose. I like watching how individual players play (but as a team if that makes sense) and watching prospects improve. I'm not channeling anything I just know that sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side. For once don't you want to see a superstar forward Hab? Like an absolute beast forward? I don't know if you do but I do, and nothing is better than home grown talent. Whether it's from Quebec or just in the sense that we developed them. This is our one opportunity, because I guarantee you this team is much better then they've been or their record shows and next year we'll be right back in the race. Why do you think I'm so positive in all of this? This is the opportunity of a life time, it's win/win. I understand sometimes a top pick is a bust but the person I have the most faith in with this management = Trevor Timmins and I already like what I'm seeing.

If you don't understand it's cool, but no amount of bad will ever make me stop watching this team and following our prospects. Player development is just very interesting to me. Guess it's why I have 20k posts on some hockey forum

Last edited by neofury*: 01-17-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old
01-17-2012, 05:07 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
What's the point of having a thread on a discussion board where people with opposing views aren't allowed to discuss though? (Not talking about opposing fanbases who are just looking to troll, everyone here genuinely has the teams best interests at heart we all just have a different idea of how things should be.

If there's merit to what people are saying and they aren't attacking others and throwing the insults I don't get the issue. As far as I can tell the OP and title did not have any mention of not being able to discuss other potential positives.

Don't throw a discussion out there and then get sour when people give you unconventional answers in terms of what you are asking for. That is the entire point of this internet forum, if everyone has the same opinion there is no point to this thread.
I didn't throw in anything, and seriously, what do you think "BELIVE" stands for? for the future? really you think thats what OP's intention was? i know what you'r intention is, to express how your copping with MTL terrible season and prospect of having high pick. I just don't think that was the point of the thread, especially given that OP went off and created a new thread.
So hard to ask for people not to go spew draft discussion on EVERY thread?

Read your edited part, and am aware you like the habs, you will watch the habs.
People should also be aware i'm not judging them that they see the positive in losing, and i do too, but there is a season underway, and sometimes is fun to just submerge in the "game" and "belive" you'll win the cup, wethere its realistic or not.

Last edited by uiCk: 01-17-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old
01-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 1040
Quote:
positive (despite mentioning 1st/grig)
Not sure where I mentioned a 1st or Grigorenko?

All I said was that as much as I'd love a top 5 pick, obviously I enjoy seeing our team win more.

Old
01-17-2012, 05:28 PM
neofury*

Quote:
I didn't throw in anything, and seriously, what do you think "BELIVE" stands for? for the future? really you think thats what OP's intention was? i know what you'r intention is, to express how your copping with MTL terrible season and prospect of having high pick. I just don't think that was the point of the thread, especially given that OP went off and created a new thread.
So hard to ask for people not to go spew draft discussion on EVERY thread?

Read your edited part, and am aware you like the habs, you will watch the habs.
People should also be aware i'm not judging them that they see the positive in losing, and i do too, but there is a season underway, and sometimes is fun to just submerge in the "game" and "belive" you'll win the cup, wethere its realistic or not.
No actually a completely different person went and made a new thread. And I understand your point about believing whether it's realistic or not. Don't think a part of me doesn't hope we start clicking and make it into 8th either

But I just didn't see why we couldn't have a civilized discussion in this thread is all. Nobody had poor intentions some were just stating the same thing I did. It doesn't mean we don't believe, some just see it as the bigger picture. Part of the reason I say now better than ever is the status of the draft. It's deep and we do have UFA's who will basically walk for nothing. If we trade them it becomes even more unrealistic to believe, if we don't they may walk for nothing. In a deep draft a 2nd can be pretty damn good. More like a late 1st in a regular draft.

Please understand this isn't coping, the upside to these picks is huge. We're talking about transforming our team into a dominant force in the east here. I'd rather miss the playoffs this year and lose many games but then be a dominant force for the next 5-7 then even make it in 8th this year and the next 5-7 and be far less talented. I don't think people realize just how deep this draft is, this isn't coping it really is positivity to the max.

Old
01-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
No actually a completely different person went and made a new thread. And I understand your point about believing whether it's realistic or not. Don't think a part of me doesn't hope we start clicking and make it into 8th either

But I just didn't see why we couldn't have a civilized discussion in this thread is all. Nobody had poor intentions some were just stating the same thing I did. It doesn't mean we don't believe, some just see it as the bigger picture. Part of the reason I say now better than ever is the status of the draft. It's deep and we do have UFA's who will basically walk for nothing. If we trade them it becomes even more unrealistic to believe, if we don't they may walk for nothing. In a deep draft a 2nd can be pretty damn good. More like a late 1st in a regular draft.

Please understand this isn't coping, the upside to these picks is huge. We're talking about transforming our team into a dominant force in the east here. I'd rather miss the playoffs this year and lose many games but then be a dominant force for the next 5-7 then even make it in 8th this year and the next 5-7 and be far less talented. I don't think people realize just how deep this draft is, this isn't coping it really is positivity to the max.
I hear ya neofury

I feel the same way. There's a tonne of positives to take from this year EITHER WAY.
I am not going nuts with the bad season to date (habs losing like this typically has put me in the funk)...

But it's actually just as you said. This season is more the aberration, and next year we should be back to business. The positive of such a poor finish, is the prospect depth we would add...

That being said, I know we are better than we play, and I would love to see a strong push for a playoff run. I think just as I have always... We are still a darkhorse team. We could surprise many teams in the playoffs.

Gauthier IMO has done the right moves this year... We just havent had any luck with the injury bug.

I definately think though if we dont do it... and we crap out with a bottom 5 pick... We can turn the situation from Chicken **** to Chicken salad, and realize we are probably adding some mighty strong prospects, and there's nothing wrong with a little home grown talent.

Either way... The 11-12 season has been a revelation this year. I also think there has been some horrible negativity on the boards (your post isnt one), and it really blows my mind how people perceive the scenario here.

A top 5 pick, probably can possibly start playing as soon as next year. A stud forward would be an awesome addition to this team It's been MUCH too long since we had anything like that here.
I love homegrown talent succeeding. A forward prospect that could be a bluechipper for many moons to come.

I also am in the belief that we arent going to get this opportunity again for a long time We are too good to have this happen again.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:47 PM
neofury*

Anyone else notice one of the tags is "delusional habs fans"

I find that pretty disrespectful but whatever.

@Ghost I totally agree, it's our one opportunity. I'm not saying purposely lose cause like I said sports teams just don't do that, this is real life we're talking about here. Just saying I'd welcome the pick

Old
01-18-2012, 04:05 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
maybe b/c some fans believe that ending up with an elite talent up front via the draft IS a positive

who are you to decide what positive means for everyone (and what sense does it make to make an obnoxious and obviously negative post in a positive thread )
I think you are baiting....trolling whatever it warrants.....

The thread has to do with the Habs trying to make the playoffs, surely you get that gist....

Getting a top 5 draft pick is a positive thing, but doesn't belong in this thread, surely you where the other guys are coming from?

Anyhow, nothing to say we draft in the top 10-15 and trade up too?

Start a thread on that, and it will bring a ton of discussion...

Old
01-18-2012, 04:55 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I think you are baiting....trolling whatever it warrants.....

The thread has to do with the Habs trying to make the playoffs, surely you get that gist....

Getting a top 5 draft pick is a positive thing, but doesn't belong in this thread, surely you where the other guys are coming from?

Anyhow, nothing to say we draft in the top 10-15 and trade up too?

Start a thread on that, and it will bring a ton of discussion...
To be honest when I first posted I read the OP and then responded. Then I saw Coldplay crying over it and I realized what was wrong, I just don't see it as such a big deal and clearly plenty of people think the thread should stay open and continue. I understand where they're coming from but this isn't your typical "PG Appreciation thread" where 10 million people say PG sucks. It's a positivity thread and the title states it and the OP. I wasn't playing dumb, simply wasn't really thinking about it much when I originally posted and I wasn't alone in saying what I said in the end. Both outcomes are equally positive, I don't see why we need a 3rd thread or even a 2nd thread but some people are acting like babies.

Was Miller laying it on thick? Maybe a little bit but imo he had every right to defend himself when people started whining.

Closed Thread