HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jacques Martin will be at l'Antichambre tomorrow

Old
01-17-2012, 10:28 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
yeah he said it was in the last 2 years. D-man. Becoming a really good D and a leader. Has to be Gorges
The thing is -- how Gorges's play could have warranted such a thing in the last two years?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Andy

He never said it was a defenseman. The guys on anti-chambre assumed it was, Martin didn't say who.

My guess is Price.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
See, at point, he used Cole's stats to explain why he doesn't put him on the PP. But he states that he decides to use Cammalleri on the PK 'cause he is a threat to score on the PK.

Cammy's PK goals in 2010-2011: 0
In 2009-2010: 0
In 2008-2009: 0

Okay so let's pretend that what Martin REALLY meant is that despite the fact that Cammy never scored on the PK with the Habs, that just his presence on the PK makes the other team think twice before making a bold pass 'cause Cammy is a threat.....well okay. But I would use that same thinking as far as Cole is concerned. Not a whole lot of success, but I would personnally always think he's still a threat nonetheless.
I think with Cole he was wrong not to use him on the PP right away and I think he knows that. But I think that the early season mini controversy that ensued lit a fire under Cole's ass and he's been their best player or close since that. I think his smirk when he brought that up (he wasn't asked about Cole he brought it up) says to me he wanted to get the guy going and sometimes some players respond well to that kind of thing. Show me the game you're capable of playing and you'll get the powerplay time, type-thing.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:33 PM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Who's the player he was talking about?
What are you referring to? What did he say?

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:34 PM
The Russian General
#CanadaAndRefsTeam

Price makes sense. He had the most spectacular progression since JM took over and has really changed his attitude.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
What are you referring too? What did he say?
Yeah I missed that too. He said something about a player being a leader but didn't name him?

Old
01-17-2012, 10:35 PM
KerryFraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
He never said it was a defenseman. The guys on anti-chambre assumed it was, Martin didn't say who.

My guess is Price.
Yes i know he didn't confirm it was a defenseman and really my first bet was Price, but, hey, who knows.

KerryFraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
From what I gathered he said sometimes you wonder if he's playing for himself or for the team and that this is the case with a lot of elite talent players. He also said that didn't bother him but may have bothered the players. I don't think saying he went out and called PK selfish is fair. At least that's how I interpreted it.
Textually said, "C'est pas méchant qu'il soit égoïste". It's not bad that he's selfish, 'cause often the good players are selfish, like the scorers.

So I just stated what he stated. In the end he is selfish. Now whether like him, like me, like you, we can all decide if it's good to be selfish or not. Martin also said that the frustrating part is about PK and his lack of understanding the game. Those are pretty big words coming from him. I know, he also stated that he's convince that he can learn.

Now personnally, I would answer to that....duh. The kid is still young and again asked to play a role he shouldn't play if that D would have been stronger or with Markov's presence. I can tell you that Subban's lack of game understanding would be fixed if he's play against sometimes inferior competition. Something he can't do 'cause that D NEEDS him to play against the toughest opposition. Thanks to the lack of talent 5 on 5 of Kaberle, Campoli, Gill and the shortcomings of youngsters like Weber, Diaz and Emelin.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:36 PM
The Russian General
#CanadaAndRefsTeam

Basically, he said he once, after a game, spent 15 minutes basically humiliating a player in front of his teammates and since then, that player became an important part and a leader.

Old
01-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
yeah he said it was in the last 2 years. D-man. Becoming a really good D and a leader. Has to be Gorges
I don't think Martin ever had to blast Gorges in front of his teammates. He's always been solid and missed most of last season.

He said he's currently one of our best players. So, who's our best players?
Plekanec, Gorges, Price and PK.
Plekanec and Gorges have always excelled, played well, and never warranted a blasting.
Price and PK probably did.
Martin has publicly stated that Price had to perform better, when Price lost the net to Halak, he also had a confrontation with Markov. So, maybe it happened two years ago.

You can also point to PK. I don't think it would surprise anybody that Martin lashed out at PK last year before scratching him. He had done stupid mistakes, and Martin had already been patient with him regarding similar ones. The problem is he said the guy is one of the best players and a leader for us. It doesn't quite add up with him saying PK still needs to mature, when asked about him earlier on.

There's no doubt that it's one of those two, my guess is Price.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Et le But

Could be Kostitsyn.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Textually said, "C'est pas méchant qu'il soit égoïste". It's not bad that he's selfish, 'cause often the good players are selfish, like the scorers.

So I just stated what he stated. In the end he is selfish. Now whether like him, like me, like you, we can all decide if it's good to be selfish or not. Martin also said that the frustrating part is about PK and his lack of understanding the game. Those are pretty big words coming from him. I know, he also stated that he's convince that he can learn.

Now personnally, I would answer to that....duh. The kid is still young and again asked to play a role he shouldn't play if that D would have been stronger or with Markov's presence. I can tell you that Subban's lack of game understanding would be fixed if he's play against sometimes inferior competition. Something he can't do 'cause that D NEEDS him to play against the toughest opposition. Thanks to the lack of talent 5 on 5 of Kaberle, Campoli, Gill and the shortcomings of youngsters like Weber, Diaz and Emelin.
Can't disagree with any of that. And most good posters around here I assume would agree too. PK needs to mature and learn to make better decisions with the puck in particular.

Let's hope he does the former without losing that fire that makes him PK.

Old
01-17-2012, 10:41 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think Martin ever had to blast Gorges in front of his teammates. He's always been solid and missed most of last season.

He said he's currently one of our best players. So, who's our best players?
Plekanec, Gorges, Price and PK.
Plekanec and Gorges have always excelled, played well, and never warranted a blasting.
Price and PK probably did.
Martin has publicly stated that Price had to perform better, when Price lost the net to Halak, he also had a confrontation with Markov. So, maybe it happened two years ago.

You can also point to PK. I don't think it would surprise anybody that Martin lashed out at PK last year before scratching him. He had done stupid mistakes, and Martin had already been patient with him regarding similar ones. The problem is he said the guy is one of the best players and a leader for us. It doesn't quite add up with him saying PK still needs to mature, when asked about him earlier on.

There's no doubt that it's one of those two, my guess is Price.
probably price then because JM clearly doesn't think PK is becoming a leader

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Basically, he said he once, after a game, spent 15 minutes basically humiliating a player in front of his teammates and since then, that player became an important part and a leader.
Too bad they weren't doing 24/7 in Montreal that day.

I doubt it's PK. I don't see him calling PK a leader after his comments about him. Maybe though.

I doubt it's Price too because you just don't do that to your goalie. He's singled out enough as is.

Old
01-17-2012, 10:46 PM
habtastic

ohhhh can't wait til the next episode!!! think he'll reveal who the mystery player is???? screw playoffs, this is way better.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Could be Kostitsyn.
This is my guess as well.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:54 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Oh and the bleeding hearts will creep out... "He never should've been fired "

No no no.

He shouldn't have been hated as hard as he was and he shouldn't be suddenly adored and martyred. Have some personal balance ffs.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Who was humiliating who ?

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Oh and the bleeding hearts will creep out... "He never should've been fired "

No no no.

He shouldn't have been hated as hard as he was and he shouldn't be suddenly adored and martyred. Have some personal balance ffs.
I'm not sure if you're referring to me but you did quote what I said.

If you are referring to what I said I just want to say that this has always been my position. It hasn't changed because of his interview tonight, but it did enforce it.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:33 PM
The Russian General
#CanadaAndRefsTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Too bad they weren't doing 24/7 in Montreal that day.

I doubt it's PK. I don't see him calling PK a leader after his comments about him. Maybe though.

I doubt it's Price too because you just don't do that to your goalie. He's singled out enough as is.
It was probably when Halak was here.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Firing JM at that stage of the season was completely retarded. There, I said it.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:51 PM
The Russian General
#CanadaAndRefsTeam

I was in the "Fire Martin" camp but I have to say, I learned what the saying "Be careful with what you wish for" means the hard way.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:55 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Firing JM at that stage of the season was completely retarded. There, I said it.
Probably. The Habs would be in the hunt with Martin as coach. Seems the firing/language debate backfired and the team lost 6 of its next 7 and got out of the race.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:01 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Probably. The Habs would be in the hunt with Martin as coach. Seems the firing/language debate backfired and the team lost 6 of its next 7 and got out of the race.
I don't think they would have. They were going down fast. What happened didn't help, but they wouldn't have performed better with him as coach. It was mishandled though I agree with that.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:19 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

I'm glad you're gone, Jacques.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote