HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacques Martin will be at l'Antichambre tomorrow

Old
01-18-2012, 01:18 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
What a great show that was. It completely changed my opinion of JM... He's far from the emotionless zombie that I thought he was.
doesn't anybody ever read my posts

that's his game-face for the montreal medias

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:53 AM
DJ Breadman

[quote=[/i]

Last edited by DJ Breadman: 01-18-2012 at 01:54 AM. Reason: wrong quote
DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:48 AM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Firing JM at that stage of the season was completely ********. There, I said it.
Passive forechecking in Martin's system was ********, he had to go. We have speed, we should be pressuring the opposing team in their D-zone, not let them walk out of their zone.

This team is playing much better under Cunneyworth, just needed a few games to adjust to the new system, and get rid of the Cam-ME-lleri cancer.

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:04 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
Passive forechecking in Martin's system was ********, he had to go. We have speed, we should be pressuring the opposing team in their D-zone, not let them walk out of their zone.

This team is playing much better under Cunneyworth, just needed a few games to adjust to the new system, and get rid of the Cam-ME-lleri cancer.
Completely agree. The games under JM were not as entertaining. Some will say the record under RC is pathetic but I think the players are in the process of re-learning how to play the game.

I like that we are slowly getting bigger and hopefully tougher. I've had more fun watching the games lately.

The funny thing is that if JM did that kind of interview while he was coach, he might still be there as he would have seemed more sympathetic and there might have been a chance we could understand his weird coaching decisions.

Still was the right move. Everyone but DD-Pac-Cole was performing below expectations under JM's system. That and the injuries on D pretty much explains the record.

DenverHabsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post

We are playing better under RC? What in God's name are you talking about? More entertaining =/= better.
We played two decent games, this past weekend, that is it.
I cannot count the number of times we lost games under Martin where we said we should have won.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
We are playing better under RC? What in God's name are you talking about? More entertaining =/= better.
We played two decent games, this past weekend, that is it.
I cannot count the number of times we lost games under Martin where we said we should have won.
I think the issue with Cunneyworth's system is A-we are changing midseason and B-we need a Markov type d-man to make it work

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I don't think they would have. They were going down fast. What happened didn't help, but they wouldn't have performed better with him as coach. It was mishandled though I agree with that.
Going down fast?

When he was fired the Habs had 9 points out of a possible 12 in December. They only lost one game in regulation in December and it was the Chris Lee debacle in Philly.

They were 2 games above .500 and two points out of a playoff spot. They had just got Kaberle and since acquiring him the main flaw with the team (the PP) had produced goals in all of his first 3 games with the team.

If anything, things were looking up. They were certainly not anywhere near going down fast.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Joe Cole

Gauthier does not have a plan. He makes panic moves whenever the fire is turned up.

All of a sudden, he believes the assistant coach is a problem? Now, Martin's system is not working? All of a sudden the Habs are too small? Please.

I never believed Martin was a winner, or a person who would bring excitement to the Habs, but he is a quality coach. Martin could only do so much with the roster he got, how much input he had into the composition of that roster, that we do not know for sure.

Last edited by Joe Cole: 01-18-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:36 AM
llamateizer

What RC doing better than JM is taking advantage of home ice with last changes.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 50
Montreal will never be successful until they start bringing more stability to their management and players...man its freaking crazy that there are only 3-4 players still with Montreal that were there when they had their big season in '08. Changing the coach every 2 years, and clearing the roster every 4 years will not help.

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan182018 View Post
Montreal will never be successful until they start bringing more stability to their management and players...man its freaking crazy that there are only 3-4 players still with Montreal that were there when they had their big season in '08. Changing the coach every 2 years, and clearing the roster every 4 years will not help.
This. I agree with you 100%. I thought they were finally on the right track too. They need to stick with a coach (one with proven experience) and stay with him through the highs and the lows, unless there is clearly a problem. They are in dire need of stability. The average lifespan of a coach here is 2 years. Two coaches they fired in the last decade have faced each other in the SCFs a few years later. Now this mess. I don't know why they don't learn that changing the coach that often is a guaranteed failing formula. It does not work. It resets the clock at zero every time.

They need to stop listening to fans and the media completely and work at building their reputation back as a team that has long-term stability and that will not fold and panic at the first signs of adversity. The fans have a big responsibility in this too. There needs to be a complete overhaul of how fans watch and absorb their Habs. The sense of entitlement, which leads to impatience, booing, knee-jerk reactions has to go. People need to be patient and understand that we're not in 1970 anymore and that ALL the teams are very, very good. Fans need to trust management and coaching a lot more, understand they will make great deals and lose on others but trust them to make the decision they believe is best for the team.

By listening to fans and folding under fan and media pressure the Habs lose a lot of credibility around the league and more importantly in their own dressing room. They panic, make perpetual changes and never get anywhere.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:00 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
Yeah, right. JM was a matchup maniac. Randy puts the wrong players in the wrong situations.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eric-...c8230/82/41425

Old
01-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Good read.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
+2 Good read

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:18 AM
domdo345

Quote:
Good article but lol at the end. Who is Eric Engels to decide that Holik is right and the Canadiens are not?

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:38 AM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Good article but lol at the end. Who is Eric Engels to decide that Holik is right and the Canadiens are not?
He's like all of us on the board. He just gives his opinion

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Can't disagree with any of that. And most good posters around here I assume would agree too. PK needs to mature and learn to make better decisions with the puck in particular.

Let's hope he does the former without losing that fire that makes him PK.
this...

and I'd add this thought to it. I really believe that a big past of the "selfishness" in PK's game that has at times led to benching and/or the speculated friction with some other guys in the dressing room, is more caused by an over-aggressive desire to "win", then it is from a desire to "be the guy".

Watching him play in the 2 playoff years, and watching him with the Canadian Jr's, i see a guy perfectly fine deferring to teammates/system when things are working well...

watching him play at times this year, I see a guy who seems a bit frustrated by being "reined" in, not b/c he doesn't want to play within the system, but b/c doing so is clearly not working.

he's clearly got a huge amount of confidence in himself, and, from juniors to the pro level, proved a lot of people "wrong"... the same defiant conviction that propelled him to being a top-pairing NHL dman far sooner than anyone had once predicted (if they even acknowledged that he even be that good), sometimes comes out in a negative way (or a "not buying in"/"try to do too much" way), when he defiantly tries to lift his team up.

learning how/when to pick his spots is what he needs to do better, but that he is willing and capable of "carrying" his team at times, is a quality and mindset that no smart coach would want to eliminate.

it's egotism, for sure, but I really think it's a noticeably different type of egotism then the negative form that a guy like Cammalleri is more inclined to...

whereas cammalleri obviously also has it in him to "carry" his teammates by going on ridiculous scoring tears, when it doesn't work or things aren't going his way, he responds by sulking/pouting, and playing with less intensity/emotion... Subban is the polar opposite in that sense, and this is a very, very good thing!

hopefully someone in the organizations leadership recognizes it, and understands both how rare and how valuable a player with Subban's attributes is.

EDIT-
just read Engels piece... pretty bang on imo... defiance, not selfishness, is what were seeing from Subban. If the organization (and JM in particular) had done a better job managing the ego's in the locker room, it's an issue that wouldn't have surfaced the way it has.
Hope the current or future coach/management team "gets" this, and makes sure to tweak the roster and deal with the media in a way that supports our core assets, not alienate them.

Last edited by Miller Time: 01-18-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Never believed Jacques should have been fired. Sure, we lost won, then won one etc, but they were usually close games.

As far as PK is concerned, I think bringing in Guy Boucher somehow would do a world of good for him. However, I am now beginning to truly believe he is on the market. But probably only for another young piece.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Suiteness

His comments on Subban were interesting. I'm going on memory but I'm pretty sure he said :

“Ce qui est frustrant pour l’entraîneur, c’est son manque de compréhension sur la façon de jouer un match de hockey”.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:39 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
Really? That's what I hate the most about his coaching.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:48 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
His comments on Subban were interesting. I'm going on memory but I'm pretty sure he said :

“Ce qui est frustrant pour l’entraîneur, c’est son manque de compréhension sur la façon de jouer un match de hockey”.
yea thats what he said, basically he lacks comprehension when it comes to the gameplan

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
yea thats what he said, basically he lacks comprehension when it comes to the gameplan
Probably meaning he freelances and doesn't always follow the structure of the team.

Old
01-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post

Oh I'm sure PK is birght enough to get it....

I would just imagine he has other ideas. I mean everybody (even minor hockey players) has an opinion of how the team should play.

Sure these guys are pros but coaches loose guys all the time. I don't think that's a testament to PK's stupiddity but moreso to JM's rigidity and stuborness.

You need to find a way to use the guys you got JM... if you did maybe you'd still be coaching.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:58 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Probably meaning he freelances and doesn't always follow the structure of the team.
Maybe, or he has problems concentrating and thus his comprehension is affected, like most kids these days.

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote