HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm - Wsh

Old
01-18-2012, 03:06 PM
MW6

vCash: 500
Edm - Wsh

Rumors (ok, it's Eklund).. are saying that Edmonton and Washington are in talks, and this one has surely been discussed before. But not in a while atleast and terms are not the same as before, so here we go.

Clearly Hemsky is being wished out of Edmonton by their fans, is not producing and will be an UFA after the season and so is Semin in Washington, although playing better recently. Couldn't a swap winger for winger ignite something for both clubs? And also give both teams a preview of each player for the upcoming free agency?

Hemsky is fragile playmaker and Semin is an "enigmatic" sniper.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Hemsky
---------------------------
Smyth-Horcoff-Semin

???

MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:09 PM
ROBBMACBRUINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
Rumors (ok, it's Eklund).. are saying that Edmonton and Washington are in talks, and this one has surely been discussed before. But not in a while atleast and terms are not the same as before, so here we go.

Clearly Hemsky is being wished out of Edmonton by their fans, is not producing and will be an UFA after the season and so is Semin in Washington, although playing better recently. Couldn't a swap winger for winger ignite something for both clubs? And also give both teams a preview of each player for the upcoming free agency?

Hemsky is fragile playmaker and Semin is an "enigmatic" sniper.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Hemsky
---------------------------
Smyth-Horcoff-Semin

???
Tough one, could be a nice change of scenery for both. Could hemsky's playmaking help ovechkin?

ROBBMACBRUINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Kaen

Unless Edmonton thinks they can get something better for Semin then they would for Hemsky they wouldn't do it. I think it's highly unlikely they would considering paying Semin the money he'll be asking for.

Kaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:17 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
@dantencerDan Tencer
Pierre McGuire will be on the show tonight. He informs me of one Eastern Conference playoff team with "significant" interest in Ryan Smyth.

Maybe WSH is looking at a leader like Smyth? I don't see any need for Semin in Edmonton either. We can't be moving Hemsky for a guy that could just walk at season end.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Homesick

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
@dantencerDan Tencer
Pierre McGuire will be on the show tonight. He informs me of one Eastern Conference playoff team with "significant" interest in Ryan Smyth.

Maybe WSH is looking at a leader like Smyth? I don't see any need for Semin in Edmonton either. We can't be moving Hemsky for a guy that could just walk at season end.
Agreed. We'd be better off picking up a 7th for Hemsky than Semin trying to get a good contract and screwing up our lottery.

I thought when Smyth came back he made it clear that this is where his family wanted to stay because they were miserable elsewhere.

But hey if Washington wants to throw us either the Avs or their 1st to rent him...deals

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:24 PM
ROBBMACBRUINS

Who else could be in the market for semin?

ROBBMACBRUINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:27 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Agreed. We'd be better off picking up a 7th for Hemsky than Semin trying to get a good contract and screwing up our lottery.

I thought when Smyth came back he made it clear that this is where his family wanted to stay because they were miserable elsewhere.

But hey if Washington wants to throw us either the Avs or their 1st to rent him...deals
I don't think it had anything to do with being miserable. He wanted to raise his kids in Edmonton where the family is. The kids are starting school and Smyth really only has 2-3 years left so why risk moving them around and pulling them in and out of school.

Now in regards to whether or not Smyth will take a trade to WSH or elsewhere I don't really know, but if he is dealt odds are he is coming back to Edmonton on July 1st.

What the return would be I have no idea either.

Old
01-18-2012, 03:58 PM
HTFN

Quote:
I don't think it had anything to do with being miserable. He wanted to raise his kids in Edmonton where the family is. The kids are starting school and Smyth really only has 2-3 years left so why risk moving them around and pulling them in and out of school.

Now in regards to whether or not Smyth will take a trade to WSH or elsewhere I don't really know, but if he is dealt odds are he is coming back to Edmonton on July 1st.

What the return would be I have no idea either.
I can bet that it wouldn't be either first.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:12 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
@dantencerDan Tencer

Except he said playoff team

Honestly I could see the Caps being more interested in Gagner than Hemsky. I don't see Smyth being moved.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:16 PM
golffuul

I don't see this happening, because Semin will ask for 6+mil/year and Edmonton won't pay that value for him. You have to be getting something tangible back, in return for Hemsky if you are going to trade him at all. Simply swapping him for a player who won't sign with Edmonton or Edmonton has no interest in re-signing. I would rather get a couple draft picks for Hemsky than get someone like Semin.

golffuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:17 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post

Honestly I could see the Caps being more interested in Gagner than Hemsky. I don't see Smyth being moved.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/

Last I checked they were.

Old
01-18-2012, 04:19 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/

Last I checked they were.
Yup, but if they play their typical road game or anything remotely resembling what they did against the Islanders, that won't last the night.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:44 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post

And I could see Tambo not caring that they're interested in Gagner and proceeding in some other direction. Gagner isn't one of the pieces we consider moving at the deadline

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffuul View Post
I don't see this happening, because Semin will ask for 6+mil/year and Edmonton won't pay that value for him. You have to be getting something tangible back, in return for Hemsky if you are going to trade him at all. Simply swapping him for a player who won't sign with Edmonton or Edmonton has no interest in re-signing. I would rather get a couple draft picks for Hemsky than get someone like Semin.
You're a friend of Semin? You seem to know a lot of what he's thinking.

We have no idea what salary Semin would take in a longer deal than the 1-2 year deals he's been on in DC.

The dude is also from Siberia....maybe he would resign in Edmonton. Tell you what, we'll throw in Jeff Schultz....tangible right?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:21 PM
txpd

how does trading semin for hemsky make the caps better? at best its a lateral move. waste of time.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:30 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
how does trading semin for hemsky make the caps better? at best its a lateral move. waste of time.
elite playmaker to help get Ovechkin going? pass...

Old
01-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
elite playmaker to help get Ovechkin going? pass...
You think Hemsky is a better playmaker than Backstrom? Because Ovechkin has spent most of the year playing with Backstrom. If Nicky can't get him going consistently, what makes you think Hemsky can?

Capitals need scoring depth. Semin is more useful to them in that respect than Hemsky is.

Hivemind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:40 PM
thewill78

Maybe they're interested in Gagner seeing as how Hunter coached him in London and all

thewill78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:48 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
You think Hemsky is a better playmaker than Backstrom? Because Ovechkin has spent most of the year playing with Backstrom. If Nicky can't get him going consistently, what makes you think Hemsky can?

Capitals need scoring depth. Semin is more useful to them in that respect than Hemsky is.
It's hard to say. Hemsky has never gotten to play with a guy like Ovechkin. Put out Hemsky with Backstrom and Ovechkin and I bet they start scoring more though

Old
01-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Carlzner

Do not want.
Semin has been playing better of late, would rather keep him than move him... especially for Hemsky.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It's hard to say. Hemsky has never gotten to play with a guy like Ovechkin. Put out Hemsky with Backstrom and Ovechkin and I bet they start scoring more though
Everyone pass, nobody shoot! I seriously doubt that Ovie-Backstrom-Hemsky would magically start going despite the struggles that Ovie-Backstrom-Semin and Ovie-Backstrom-Brouwer have had.

Hivemind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:53 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
It doesn't make sense for Edmonton to trade Hemsky for a dude who's going to be a free agent next year.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:32 PM
MW6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post

No, he's not a better playmaker, but correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Ovie have his best years scoring-wise playing with two good playmakers, Backstrom and Kozlov? I think the line With Backs and Ovie has become to easy to neutralize when the third link can't carry the puck up the ice and make some sort of smart play. Brouwer and Knuble aren't that type.

Ovie shouldn't have to challenge the players 1-on-2 all the time because they've learned to defend against him and since he refuses to dump the puck he looses it 8-out-of-10 times, and by taking Backstrom out of the play that's what he's forced to do all the time.

That's why I think a playmaker is needed for that line. Hemsky may or may not fit, but it's not like they have to commit to someone for an extended time since he's UFA, and I would hate losing Semin for nothing. Atleast this way we're getting a close look at a possible FA-signing.

If Edmonton like, I'd add Joel Ward for Ryan Jones to that trade also. But that's just me..

MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Homesick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
No, he's not a better playmaker, but correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Ovie have his best years scoring-wise playing with two good playmakers, Backstrom and Kozlov? I think the line With Backs and Ovie has become to easy to neutralize when the third link can't carry the puck up the ice and make some sort of smart play. Brouwer and Knuble aren't that type.

Ovie shouldn't have to challenge the players 1-on-2 all the time because they've learned to defend against him and since he refuses to dump the puck he looses it 8-out-of-10 times, and by taking Backstrom out of the play that's what he's forced to do all the time.

That's why I think a playmaker is needed for that line. Hemsky may or may not fit, but it's not like they have to commit to someone for an extended time since he's UFA, and I would hate losing Semin for nothing. Atleast this way we're getting a close look at a possible FA-signing.

If Edmonton like, I'd add Joel Ward for Ryan Jones to that trade also. But that's just me..
For Edmonton
Hemsky=Semin - Semin wont be in Edmontons long term plans and will be gone in April.
Jones>Ward - Jones is younger, and half the price

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:00 AM
SephF
Visually Better

If I'm the Oilers I do this trade then try to flip Semin instantly as he's probably worth more then Hemsky at this point, just take back a salary dump.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote