HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Airplane/airport horror stories

Old
01-17-2012, 12:46 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

vCash: 500
Airplane/airport horror stories

What's the worst thing that ever happened to you in a plane or at an airport?

For me, some guy had a heart attack on a flight I was on between LAX and NYC. We had to make an emergency landing in Dubuque, Iowa. The pilot was like, "Uhhh, we will be descending more quickly than usual; please do not be alarmed." The woman next to me yakked on my pants. The guy who had the heart attack was fine, and I can now say I have seen the airport in Dubuque, Iowa.

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:47 AM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

I bet she didn't even call you after.

The Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:50 AM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
I was on a flight one time that was seemingly lost over Florida. It was bizarre. I know they couldn't possibly have been lost (well, hopefully), but it was very strange.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:52 AM
Carlzner

Stuck in the Detroit airport for 11 hours.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

vCash: 50
Had a pigeon nearly **** on me in JFK during a long layover.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Lessavyfav

My flight was delayed for 24 hours from Philly to Germany because Obama went to the Phillies playoff game. This was part of the Sabres in Europe tour package. Missed a bunch of activities and didn't have luggage for 3 days.

Lessavyfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:14 AM
sabresfan129103

the oxygen masks dropped down once on one of my flights. I thought we were all going to die. Turns out it was just a bit of turbulence.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:15 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

GIFSoup

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:19 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma

About 2:39 in.

Joking aside, my PCS occassionally decides to flare up, and the pressure changes that are experienced on a flight are terrible for it. Although the flight was only an hour, flying from Vancouver to Calgary caused my brain to feel as if it were going to explode. It felt like the blood was being pressurized and then pumped straight to the frontal regions of my brain. I couldn't open my eyes because everything made me nauseous, I couldn't listen to music because it seemed to make everything worse. It was a painful hour that seemed to last forever.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:57 AM
Habitat

I was little, Pilot descended way to fast. Fast forward that night, wake up after a good nights sleep with blood all covering half or more of my pillow. Go to ER, turns out the descend blew my ear drum. It was incredibly weird

Habitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:01 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Flying from Dominican Republic to Calgary when I was about 12, and going over the central US there was a lot of turbulence, but I felt completely fine. However my sister was holding the barf bag the give you. After about 20 minutes of her holding that I suddenly feel the need to throw up, and just grabbed the bag out of her hands because I needed it quickly. After I was done I realized that while I was leaning forward she had thrown up on my seat.

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:05 AM
kaiser matias

Flying to London from Calgary back in grade 12. Get on the plane, and they tell us there will be an hour delay while they fix the tv system. It passes, then they say another hour to fix it. After 90 minutes, 2.5 hours total, they finally say it is not going to be fixed, and leave. So we wasted all that time for nothing.

Then not an airplane, but a train station, same trip. At the London station that holds the Chunnel trains to Paris. You have to go through airport like security, as in they scan you and all your baggage. I go through, and they scan my stuff and pull me over. Open up my one bag, take everything out, look through everything, then proceed to put it all back. I ask whats up, they don't tell me, and send me on my way. My buddy faired a lot worse though. He bought a bunch of Goth stuff, including a bullet-belt, the day before. They didn't take that too lightly, and detained him for several hours and confiscated a bunch of his stuff; he lost like $300 worth of just bought things. But his stuff was kind of odd, so what can you do.

Finally, I was flying from Edmonton to Victoria last Christmas. Put my stuff through the security, and they pull my laptop bag away and start going through it. They look through the pockets, and find a small pocket knife, which is not something I own. At this point I'm freaking out, because it looks really bad on my part, and I don't want to miss my flight, which considering they just found a knife in my stuff, looked like it was going to happen. Fortunately this is Canada, so the teenage security girl asks me if I want them to keep it in storage for a fee of $2/day. I'm still overcoming the shock of having a knife found in my stuff, and tell her I don't want it, they can through it away. What happened was my brother borrowed my bag a few weeks prior and loaded it up with his stuff, which included the knife for some reason. It was something he got when he graduated, but I still threw it away, because of the trouble it caused. Have to say I'm really glad it happened on a domestic flight out of Edmonton and not at a major airport on an international flight to somewhere important, especially a US destination. Don't think I would get off with a simple offer to hold the knife for me.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:15 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Flight record has been pretty good. Returning to Chicago from St. Louis on a business trip. The plane only had about 20 people on it as it was a late fight. At some point this thing drops like a rock for a good 7 seconds plus, air pocket. My boss and I may eye contact across the row with that oh **** look.

Returning from Vegas the morning after considerable drinking and greasy food. It hits me and I have to go bad!! I'm on the window seat, both people next to me are knocked out. I almost didn't make it.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:13 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Nothing, other than waiting 8 or 9 hours for international flights back home to the US.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:19 AM
Doland
The King is Alive

vCash: 566
They never gave out free pretzels on one of my flights.

Doland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:48 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Stuck in the Houston airport for 9 hrs. ****ing sucked. Whats worst is, I ended up getting stuck for 5 in the exact same airport on the way back. It was supposed to be a 2.5 hr layover longest boring 8hrs of my life.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:49 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Bring a MP3 player or a computer

Amazing how fast time can pass by

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:55 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Bring a MP3 player or a computer

Amazing how fast time can pass by
I had both amazingly, I somehow managed to lose my headphones and pack my laptop charger in my luggage , on the way back it wasnt as bad, had headphones, watched movies on my ipod, still somehow managed to lose my computer charger while on vacation though, so my laptop was unused basically the whole trip. The first 8hrs were terribly boring though.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

I've only had one bad flight, and it wasn't even that bad.

We were flying back to Montreal from Paris, and the plane Air France uses for this run was likely built by the Wright Brothers. No leg room (I'm six-two), instead of seatback TV screens (like they advertise), they've got the two or three screens hanging from the ceiling so the movie choice is "watch it or take a nap", and since I had the window seat, I could easily get up to stretch my legs. I got a little stir crazy.

Worst part is when we get to the airport. Air France runs a shuttle between Montreal and Ottawa - we all get on board except for one girl who apparently lost something in the airport, so we had to wait for her. After about a half-hour, we ask the driver if we can just get off the bus long enough to make a phone call to let our ride know that we were running late. He tells us that if the lady comes while we're making he phone call, he's leaving without us (). It was another half hour that we waited for this little ***** to get on the bus and we were on our way.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:05 AM
neofury*

I'm an avid fan of the show Mayday, almost done watching the complete series

After watching it I must say nothing bad. My girlfriend did have an 11 hour delay in Toronto one time. Considering it's a 1 hour flight from there to here that is pretty darn brutal.

That having been said, my grandparents were on a flight to Italy once where the plane dropped 10k+ feet in a matter of seconds and the cabin depressurized. They wouldn't set foot on a plane for almost two decades as a result. The oxygen masks dropped and everything, everybody thought they were going to die, it was like a total nose dive. Somehow the captain re-gained control of the plane and managed to land eventually.

When you're flying over the Atlantic that is pretty damn scary stuff

I still haven't met a person till this day who has had that problem or similar. Worst I've had is bad turbulence and a 1 hour delay leaving due to ice on the wings

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Crying babies.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:18 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I've only had one bad flight, and it wasn't even that bad.

We were flying back to Montreal from Paris, and the plane Air France uses for this run was likely built by the Wright Brothers. No leg room (I'm six-two), instead of seatback TV screens (like they advertise), they've got the two or three screens hanging from the ceiling so the movie choice is "watch it or take a nap", and since I had the window seat, I could easily get up to stretch my legs. I got a little stir crazy.

Worst part is when we get to the airport. Air France runs a shuttle between Montreal and Ottawa - we all get on board except for one girl who apparently lost something in the airport, so we had to wait for her. After about a half-hour, we ask the driver if we can just get off the bus long enough to make a phone call to let our ride know that we were running late. He tells us that if the lady comes while we're making he phone call, he's leaving without us (). It was another half hour that we waited for this little ***** to get on the bus and we were on our way.
I've probably been on around 16 flights total including both ways and I must say you pretty much described any flight I've ever been on. Have always paid for economy class, no seat upgrades in any way, and I'm only 5'11" and there's absolutely no room. I get a bit nuts too, I always take the window seat and I only ever didn't get the window seat like twice. I'll never get a window seat again however because of my last flight. Basically I went to Cuba and I got very ill, in fact I got bronchitis and strep. When I got back home I had to go to the clinic immediately. On the flight there I was sat next to a dude who was basically coughing his lung out the whole flight, he himself sounded like he had strep or something, I probably got strep and without medical attention for a week it got worse and I somehow got bronchitis

Anyways on the way back I already felt like absolute **** but "luckily" I had a window seat. Big mistake. Remember how Transat and other airlines were saying they were removing 4 seats to increase leg room or some bull like that? It actually makes it far less comfortable for 2/3 window seats. Rather than your seat being lined up with this beam that comes down for each window now sometimes you're next to it which basically feels like you lost 1/4 of your room but from the left hand side. I had to sit on a 5 hour flight with bronchitis crammed like a sardine

And yeah, I know it probably wasn't a smart idea to take a flight as sick as I was, for the sake of the other passengers, but I wasn't getting stranded in Cuba for another week in some hospital that's similar looking to a prison with poor medical treatment. I have asthma and honestly till this day I feel I was lucky just to make it back home Feel bad for the other passengers if any of them did get sick but some guy ruined my vacation on the way there so at the time I wasn't exactly feeling sorry for them they were at least going home I guess that would definitely have to be my worst plane experience cause I honestly felt like I was going to die. Figure of speech obviously but I just felt like ass.

Have flown with all of these companies and they were all pretty much just as bad: Air Canada, Air Transat, Delta, CanJet.

Would like to give WestJet a try.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:20 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Never been on a plane.

Heck, never been in an airport.

Is that weird?

01-17-2012, 08:31 AM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

About 5 years ago, while flying from Tucson back to St. Louis with my family, we had a layover in Denver. While on the runway in Denver, at night, there was an unusual loud noise just before takeoff. My dad is an aircraft mechanic, has been for over 30 years, so he knows his airplanes.

He noticed immediately that the plane's landing gear never went up, and was nowhere near altitude. Something was wrong. Maybe 15-20 mins go by, the plane is still not climbing. The pilot comes on the air and says we have to return to Denver (never really even left Denver).

My Dad, sitting next to me (rest of the family was kinda spread out), said that this is gonna be a rough landing, and be ready for anything, but stay calm. He thought a tire blew on the runway before takeoff. Which means that the brakes are gonna work exponentially harder to slow this plane down.

Sure enough, the landing is rough as hell. Loud, violent, scary as ****. We happened to be sitting in the absolute last row and noticed an abnormal amount of smoke coming from the rear landing gear. I remember, my dad looks at me and says "the plane's gear on fire, but don't tell your mother or anyone else. Just stay calm, it's not a big deal" Haha. As we were landing, there were countless fire trucks waiting for the plane, and as soon as it stopped, firefighters were already on it. I thought it was pretty cool. Exactly as he predicted, one or multiple tires blew and the gear caught fire while trying to slow it down.

It wasn't too bad, and it seemed like a pretty standard procedure for this situation....until one of the female flight attendants notices the fire too...and freaks the **** out. Firefighters already had a ladder up the emergency door near the front of the plane, and was getting people out at the same time as she starts to lose it. So she goes to the other e-door...opens it, tosses it out the plane (lands on the wing, probably does tens of thousands of dollars in damage) and screams "there's a fire"!!! Totally unnecessary.

So as you could imagine, the plane's population is now going into panic mode and it just turns into chaos. People freaking out everywhere, all while my Dad and I are just sitting down, calmly watching the firefighters do their job (it was really cool to watch).

Eventually everyone got off, after firefighters came up into the plane to explain that everything's fine, the flight attendant is a moron etc.

Pretty exciting flight. The worst part was waiting until 3 a.m. to be told that no more flights are leaving, and have to wait till the next day. Could've been worse I guess.

mizzoublues29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:34 AM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Never been on a plane.

Heck, never been in an airport.

Is that weird?
It's kind of weird. Get out and see the world.

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote