HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Airplane/airport horror stories

Old
01-17-2012, 09:01 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
Worst flight I ever had to deal with was coming home from Columbia to Montreal.

While I was there, I ended up falling asleep in the sun with no sunscreen. I had severe sunstroke and sunburn. I had blisters all over my body and the burns became infected. I only realized how bad it was as I was showering to go to the airport.

When I got on the plane, I guess the dry air of the cabin started reacting with my blisters. They all popped, and started burning and itching like crazy. Scratching did nothing, since the itch was coming from under my skin.

I went to the bathroom and started scratching until my chest was bleeding all over the place. After I realized how bad it was getting, I grabbed the handle on the inside of the door and the handle on the side of the toilet, and I said I would not let go to scratch at all. Well I started smashing my head into the mirror because it was so bad. The flight attendant opened the door to see me in there covered in blood.

Somehow nobody on the plane had any aloe. I spent the last 8 hours of the flight in my underwear laying across the empty last row of the plane, while every 5 minutes a flight attendant would come and drape me in wet towels.

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:26 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Do planes have a specific baby quota they try to fill?

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Do planes have a specific baby quota they try to fill?
Babies, old people, the fashionably overweight, and the criminally gassy...

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:55 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Only had one bad exprience really, and not too bad. They stuffed us on the plane, shut the door, and then started de-icing the plane. Well while doing that, something happened to delay the flight so they stopped. Then when we were cleared, they had to de-ice the plane again. Ended up sitting at the gate, doors shut, stuck on the plane for about 5 hours. They eventually gave us a free movie to watch (they typically don't provide one for the flight we were on, since it was a shorter one). Of course they timed it out so they had to shut it down about 5 minutes before we land, so no one got to see how the movie ended... and it was actually a great movie with a fast last minute ending.

RayP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

Flying in to Orlando from Toronto through a storm when I was younger. Worst turbulence I've ever experienced. The big drops were 3-5 seconds at least, we would climb back up only to drop again, and again. I just remember everyones belongings being jarred loose and hitting the roof of the plane over and over for what seemed like forever. Only time I've ever had to take out the vomit bag, and I used it.

I've hit some pretty rough spots on flights since, but never nearly as bad.

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:12 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post

While I was there, I ended up falling asleep in the sun with no sunscreen. I had severe sunstroke and sunburn. I had blisters all over my body and the burns became infected. I only realized how bad it was as I was showering to go to the airport.

When I got on the plane, I guess the dry air of the cabin started reacting with my blisters. They all popped, and started burning and itching like crazy. Scratching did nothing, since the itch was coming from under my skin.

I went to the bathroom and started scratching until my chest was bleeding all over the place. After I realized how bad it was getting, I grabbed the handle on the inside of the door and the handle on the side of the toilet, and I said I would not let go to scratch at all. Well I started smashing my head into the mirror because it was so bad. The flight attendant opened the door to see me in there covered in blood.

Somehow nobody on the plane had any aloe. I spent the last 8 hours of the flight in my underwear laying across the empty last row of the plane, while every 5 minutes a flight attendant would come and drape me in wet towels.
Somehow I know you aren't kidding here. But I honestly wish for your sake that you were. That sounds absolutely terrible. I passed out in Barbados on the beach in the early morning before the sun was really out. 20 minutes of sun later I wake up and my back was torched. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as you were

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
im not a fan of airplanes. i know they're for the most part safe, but a little problem can **** everyone up, inside that plane.....
last time i took the plane there was a bunch of turbulence. it was bad.
at the same time we were like 15 people in the whole big-ass plane....
so while at some points i was horrified, they gave us a bunch of free alcohol and they would comeback and offer you another glass/beer before you even finish the one you're drinking. me, my brother and parents ended up literally drunk, because of the altitude.
and then when you land in mexico city. holy ****, if you've never landed there before you're thinking you're crashing. its in the middle of the city and at some point you only see cars and buildings higher than what you're flying. scary ****.

so yeah. good times being drunk. scary times on turbulance and landing.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

I barely have any stories, because as frequently as I travel, pretty much nothing has gone wrong. Travelling all over the world without problem.

Come to think of it, when leaving Dulles for Panama City, Panama, the safety presentation video didn't work and the attendants didn't do anything either so we were just treated to awkward silence. Eos

People just like to complain about airports or airplanes, or airport security, but airports are pretty cool places to chill. Sure, I can get stuck in them for 7 or 8 hours, but you bring a MP3 player to cope with the long period of time. Just walk around, time passes just like that

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:36 AM
hoss75

I was on a flight that was landing. As soon as you felt the bump from touch down the engines fired up as loud as I've ever heard them and the plane took off again at a good 45 degree angle and banked hard left. Pilot came on as calm as can be and told us another plane "wandered onto our runway". It was as crazy a ride as I've ever had.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Paris-Charles de Gaul Airport. That thing is a horror story in itself.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
People just like to complain about airports or airplanes, or airport security, but airports are pretty cool places to chill. Sure, I can get stuck in them for 7 or 8 hours, but you bring a MP3 player to cope with the long period of time. Just walk around, time passes just like that
I'm more than happy occupying myself watching the departure/arrivals screen (especially if it's one of those old-school flip-board ones that changes entirely when a plane arrives or departs )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain de Botton; "The Art of Travel"
Nowhere is the appeal of the airport more concentrated than in the television screens which hang in rows from terminal ceilings announcing the departure and arrival of flights and whose absence of aesthetic self-consciousness, whose workmanlike casing and pedestrian typefaces do nothing to disguise their emotional charge nor imaginative appeal. Tokyo, Amsterdam, Istanbul. Warsaw, Seattle, Rio. The screens bear all the poetic resonance of the last line of James Joyce’s Ulysses: at once a record of where the novel was written and, no less importantly, a symbol of the cosmopolitan spirit behind its composition: ‘Trieste, Zurich, Paris.’ The constant calls of the screens, some accompanied by the impatient pulsing of a cursor, suggest with what ease our seemingly entrenched lives might be altered, were we to walk down a corridor and on to a craft that in a few hours would land us in a place of which we had no memories and where no one knew our names. How pleasant to hold in mind, through the crevasses of our moods, at three in the afternoon when lassitude and despair threaten, that there is always a plane taking off for somewhere, Baudelaire’s ‘Anywhere! Anywhere!’: Trieste, Zurich, Paris.

Buck Aki Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:01 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

I've only flown four times in my life (Two round trips). I'd rather drive.

The first time I ever did was from Providence to Pittsburgh. A ninety minute flight turned into 6 hours. First, we were supposed to take off at noon. But Air Force One arrived and closed the airport before we took off. We finally took off at one, and it was an easy flight until just outside of Pittsburgh when our captain said we had to circle because of storms. We circled for awhile, before he said we had to go to Cleveland to refuel. So we land in Cleveland, waiting for storms to pass and refueling for two hours. We take off again, but more storms come by because it's about 4 or 5 o'clock now. Finally we have to decend in the rain, which for a first time flier......you can imagine how I felt. Finally we landed, but we had to sit there because the crew who unloads bags wouldn't come out due to lightning.

The next time I round tripped was two weeks after 9/11.........fun.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:03 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
I was on a flight that was landing. As soon as you felt the bump from touch down the engines fired up as loud as I've ever heard them and the plane took off again at a good 45 degree angle and banked hard left. Pilot came on as calm as can be and told us another plane "wandered onto our runway". It was as crazy a ride as I've ever had.
Lemme guess, Logan?

This crap happens too much. I guess Tenerife is now forgotten.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Lemme guess, Logan?

This crap happens too much. I guess Tenerife is now forgotten.
Yeah, the Tenerife Disaster was the first thing I thought of, too. For those who don't know, it was the deadliest plane crash ever (not including 9/11): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Horse
Go Canucks!

No real horror stories, but I've flown Vancouver-Toronto-St John (or maybe it was St John's?)- Halifax a few times and it takes for frigging ever. In the St John's airport the lady stayed open a bit late in order to make me a grilled cheese and fries during my stop over and I was so happy I nearly cried I after that terrribly long day.

Somewhat OT, but Mayday air disaster is a fantastic show. They have episodes with that Tenerife accident and many others. Don't watch it just before you fly though

Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:25 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
I've landed and connected at philadelphia international airport dozens of times. And four times now they have managed to lose a checked bag. Twice with computer parts i couldnt carry on because i was told i had to check it, once with a computer monitor and once with my suits. I got the monitor back when i got loud about it at the lost and found office. Miraculously it went from status unknown to found after i threatened to call my lawyer.

American airlines in philly are shady mother****ers

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:30 AM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
I was flying from Tampa to Minneapolis after a long weekend in Tampa with a stop in Atlanta. Tampa-Atlanta is uneventful, and I run to the gate for my Minneapolis flight. Turns out they're oversold, so I volunteer and take the $200 flight voucher and the free lunch, with instructions to catch the next flight to Minneapolis as I would be on standby for that flight.

I get to the gate for Minneapolis flight #2. I had been questioning all day since Delta offered two flights to Minneapolis within a couple hours of each other. Seeing how I had classes the next day, I intuitively went with the first flight they offered. I get on the flight, and as further apology, Delta was kind enough to put me in Business Class. Alright. Fine. I doze off for about 20 mins or so, and I wake up to find we're still on the tarmac. Conveniently, the captain comes on and says one of the computers in the cockpit has crashed and without this piece of equipment it would be "unsafe to fly" .

So we sit on the tarmac for a period of time, get to a gate, and have most, if not all of the passengers, stand in the jetbridge . So I'm on the jetbridge for literally five minutes when they call everyone back on. The computer's fixed. The rest of the flight was normal, but the kicker was if I had taken the second flight, I would have gotten into Minneapolis about the same time!

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:31 AM
jkscott
Florida Panther STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post

Cosmo Kramer, is that you?

jkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Threatened to call lawyer

Oh man.

Yeah, another incident, the plane lost my suitcase when landing in Rio, they eventually sent it to the hotel the next day. You ever try sleeping in your jeans without your pajamas? NOT comfortable

Old
01-17-2012, 11:37 AM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I'm more than happy occupying myself watching the departure/arrivals screen (especially if it's one of those old-school flip-board ones that changes entirely when a plane arrives or departs )
I stayed at a hotel with my family once near an airport that had two TV channels dedicated to the departure/arrivals screens. I spent about three hours that night watching those channels with my parents/sister looking at me like I was some sort of alien.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:42 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
No flight horror stories for me....yet. Only flew from TO to Philly and it was a good flight

This spring I'll be flying Delta from Toronto to London, with a layover in NYC.

anyone fly with Delta before?

anyone have info about JFK? I'll be there for awhile

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:46 AM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
anyone fly with Delta before?
They're like many airlines today: They get you where you need to go, but don't be expected to be treated special.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:48 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensguy11 View Post
They're like many airlines today: They get you where you need to go, but don't be expected to be treated special.
good enough for me. on the way to London it's an overnight flight, so I'll be sleeping. apparently I get breakfast on the way there and supper the way back....how's airline food?

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Airline food is okay. Mainly comes included on International flights, pay up for food on continental flights

International flights tend to have TV's in the back of the seat now, depending on jet. Lot of those Airbus A380? jets have the TV included, and you can choose from a variety of programming to watch. Not sure if that pertains to your London flight though. United - Dulles to Frankfurt had TV in back and you could choose between films to watch

Old
01-17-2012, 11:56 AM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
International flights tend to have TV's in the back of the seat now, depending on jet.
About that...I actually got a TV on the Atlanta-Tampa leg of that trip I described earlier. Very cool, but really, do I need all this just for an hour flight?