HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Airplane/airport horror stories

Old
01-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 500
Was watching news today and on a flight from Miami to London, there was a sudden announcement that the plane was going to have an emergency water landing. Turns out pilot hit that button by accident.

Damn I wouldn't want to be on that plane

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:54 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

I think I've flown on ~100 flights during my life, but I've only had one very, very bad experience.

Flying back from Mexico to Vancouver, we had to transfer planes at LAX. We had 1.5 hours to get off plane #1, go through customs, grab our luggage, check in, and go through security. We got to customs and noticed a line of like 200 people with only a couple agents. We asked the guy working the line if we could take a shortcut since we were in a huge hurry to catch our next flight. He said no. We ended up waiting 45 minutes and when we got to the front the customs agent told us we could have just gone through some sort of express lane, something the dumbass guard decided not to tell us. I would have beaked him as we walked by had I not been in a secure airport. We then ran around the airport doing everything else and we got to the gate just a couple minutes before they would have left without us.

Don't get me started on the Dallas airport. ****ing waiting for trains to get to other terminals.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

One other comment: I've travelled quite a bit, and Pearson International Airport had, BY FAR, the most rude, obnoxious customs officials (on both sides) of anywhere I've been.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
One other comment: I've travelled quite a bit, and Pearson International Airport had, BY FAR, the most rude, obnoxious customs officials (on both sides) of anywhere I've been.
Customs agents have never bothered me ... I treat them like supply teachers in high school: you answer their questions with a straight face, then snicker and giggle about what a jerk he was once you're out of earshot

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:24 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Just landed in detroit and id be willing to bet the jet blew one of its tires in the back. It sounded like a gunshot wen we landed and thump thump thump. Then it went away. So either someone tried to help the jet land with a nissan truck or we blew a tire like coburn in his defensive end

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I'm not sure if anyone remembers the infamous Jet Blue tarmac delay moment where they made those people wait on the plane for like 8 hours.

I was the flight after that the following day. They cancelled my flight and just delayed all the other ones.

I was going to Disney...........

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:57 PM
buckridesagain*

Was traveling with my family to florida from california and there was a bomb threat on our plane so we had to turn back to los angeles. This was pre 9/11/01 too. When we got back to the airport they had us all exit the plane without taking any carry on luggage or bags with us. I remember being mad because I couldn't take my game boy holder with me. After about 3 hours they tell us that our bags will be at a near by luggage claim and we would be boarding another plane.

buckridesagain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:10 PM
sabrefan27

Was flying out of Detroit several years back. It was late at night and pouring rain. The plane was having issues to begin with. There were guys, in what looked contamination gear, walking around the plane. It was delayed by a while. We got in there and were cleared for takeoff finally. The air and the lights weren't working on one whole side of the plane. We started going down the runway and we were getting up there in speed when the plane slams on its brakes. Captain just comes on and says we need to try that again.

We finally got up in the air and it was one bumpy ride. Lots of sudden drops, things flying. Not a fun hour in the air. Luckily it was a short flight.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Got examined by a drug-sniffing dog being handled by a dude holding a semi-automatic weapon.

Flying into certain parts of Peru can be... interesting.

Also was flying back to the States from Prague, and we had a layover in Germany (which we honestly thought was supposed to last 2.5 hours - we were wrong). The flight from Prague got in late and it turned out we had roughly 25 minutes to make it to the opposite side of the airport, get through international customs and board. Amazingly the airport somehow knew that there were people from the Prague flight due to board the flight to Chicago, and they actually sought all of us out while we were waiting in line for customs and rushed us through. My friend and I were the last people on the plane before they shut the door. And, of course, our luggage didn't make it.

Last edited by Socks: 01-17-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Dean Ambrose
I AM A MERCENARY

vCash: 133
Worst that's ever happened to me was on a flight from Montreal to Dominican. It was late at night, about 2-3 AM that we were landing and we didn't see much, next thing we know we SLAM on the ground hard for our landing and a lot of seats jolted, parts of the roof of the interior of the plane had snapped off on one end and just missed hitting a few people in the head. It was a damn rough landing, but aside from that, every other flight I've been on has been fine.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:39 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

I fly all the time and the only thing that has ever been that bad was being snowed in the airport in Salt Lake when I was young.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:09 AM
Brian Cadle Fan

vCash: 167
I used to have to fly a great deal, all over Canada and the US. I've had so many bad experiences that they all run together. Turbulence, delayed flights, cancelled 2nd or 3rd legs of a trip, stuck on tarmac for hours, sloppy drunk seat mates, lost luggage, a hole customs agents, rude airline staff, etc, etc, etc.

The one observation I can make is that you can spot the seasoned flyers when things go wrong. They pull out a book, or laptop, make themselves comfortable, and wait for a resolution, knowing it will not happen quickly. The less experienced drive themselves and others crazy demanding answers "right now".

Brian Cadle Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:17 AM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
When I was about 4 or so I was going to hawaii with some of my family. Not sure how long into the flight it was but I had to pee really really bad. So my mom takes me and there is a line of about 4 or 5 people waiting for the bathroom. Well after standing for what seemed forever I got mad and walked up to the door and opened it (the dude must not have latched the door or something) anyway it was one of the pilots taking a dump and the entire plane started laughing at him. He got red faced closed the door and got out as fast as he could.

I was going to San Jose a couple of years ago and these 3 drunk guys get on, These guys were so bad you could just tell there was going to be a problem. So they settle down a bit and we were just starting out to take off, well this one guy bolts up and runs to the bathroom right as he gets up we start to gain speed to take off. There was about a 2 second arguement and he finally gets into his seat and we take off. The captain almost called it off because he did decrease the power in the engines but decided to go for it. Anyway we ended up going onto seattle where the 3 guys were kicked off the plane and probably arrested.

My worst trip was coming back from Seattle I was sat next to 2 fat women luckily I had the aisle seat but I had to lean to my left to get some room. Well after 3 hours of doing that my back was wrecked for a day or two.

I've had other incidences with bad turbulance in seattle just as we were about to land a gust from above hit us and bounced us off the runway but luckily the pilot landed fine.

had some really bad turbulance coming into Anchorage but I think it was the first time that I saw somebody blow chunks into a puke bag.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

This past summer I was flying from Halifax to Toronto with a connection in Montreal and had to switch planes. Begin descending into Montreal, there's a big storm going on so there's a bit of turbulence but nothing too awful. Anyways, we land and are told we have to wait a few minutes for the plane to leave our gate before we can dock and unload. We end up waiting and waiting until we find out that all planes have been grounded due to high levels of electricity in the air above the airport (something along those lines). The pilots/flight attendants tell us it shouldn't be long. Long story short, we literally sit there for 3-4 hours on the ****ing runway. I literally watched almost two movies sitting there, and the whole time they kept saying they had no new information. All they offered us was a bag of pretzels each because they had to save the rest of the food for the next flight. Seriously? I was fuming.

Anyway, hours later we get to the gate and I found out that almost all flights are cancelled and only a few are delayed. A huge storm had rolled in and I thought I'd be there for the night. My flight was supposed to leave at 5:30, and at that time it was like 8:30 pm and the screen at my gate was completely blank and there was no rep there. I was alone so I was really really panicky, had never experienced this and had no clue what to do. The airport was an absolute zoo, no seats, everyone running around. Think there were at least 1-2 plane fulls at each gate waiting to leave because every flight was delayed.

At this time it's like 9:00 pm, and I see an Air Canada gate with a flight to Toronto (not my flight). I go up to the guy and ask what's going on with my flight, he says he doesn't know. I ask if there's room on this flight, he says yes but it's about to take off, and I ninja that last spot, run on and make it. Turns out it was one of a few flights that were just delayed and still scheduled to leave. Ended up getting home and I think my original flight was postponed until morning.

**** Air Canada. They can't help the weather but their service SUCKED that night. Just brutal.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:49 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
I've only flown a few times and have no real stories. I always drive to Burlington, Vermont and fly out of there; way cheaper as I'm always flying within the States. I've had nothing but great experiences with Jet Blue, and the worst I've encountered was my flight from JFK to Burlington being delayed an hour or so.

All airports I've ever been to have free WiFi... Burlington, JFK, Burbank... well, I don't know about Long Beach, I had no laptop at the time, nor did I have a very long wait there.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:52 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Where to begin though:

I have the lowest opinion of the airports.

Never had a problem with tickets/checking bags, but it's a downward spiral from there.

Security lines move slow as molasses, usually under-manned, and there is a surplus of idiots who forget to take their belt off, or leave change in their pocket. The whole process is a complete mess.

Flights always get delayed; even if they're not formally announced by anyone, and even if you board the plane on-time, the mass pilgrimage of ****ing morons loading onto the plane, sitting in the wrong seats, not sitting down and blocking the aisle, or not knowing how to store their baggage overhead, will inevitably delay the flight by half and hour, it's a joke. I've flown probably over 100 times in my life, and I can safely say that over half of them have been delayed or cancelled. I've sat on planes for 5 hours outside the airport, I've had planes cancelled, completely ruining things that took days or weeks of planning. Hell, 3 weeks ago my flight from Denver to Newark was cancelled because the ****ing crew didn't show up. Clear blue skies, no wind at either destination, yet they still manage to **** up everything.

I've missed trans-airport trams because *******s on the escalator just sit there even if the train is clearly going to leave, blocking my way.

The plane ride itself is usually more calm, but I swear they have a crying baby quota, and I always have a knack for sitting next to them. I love kids, but they are awful on airplanes. My seating arrangement on my way home for Thanksgiving break:

[Parent]
[Idiot other parent who conveniently decides to **** me over and hold the baby]
[Me]
--------
Aisle
--------
[Parent with baby]
[Random person]
[Random person]

I've had babies who have kicked me when I was sleeping, hell I've had adults nail my head and wake me up.

Haven't had any crazy near crash experiences, but I get nervous on small planes and when there is a ton of turbulence.

And last but not least, my 2 favorite parts of the airport experience:

When the plane reaches the gate and the lights turn on, the stupidity is out in full force. People wait till the aisle and seats in front of them are completely empty, and THEN they make an attempt to grab their bag overhead. A process that should take 10 minutes ends up taking over 30 minutes.

And I have had my bags lost so many times I couldn't even begin to think of them all. I've had idiots grab my bag because it slightly resembled theres and they're too dumb to take a look at the name tags, I've had my bags come out, and the dumb ass employees have no idea where the hell my oversize baggage is. I've had vacations cut in half because I don't have the things I brought.

I have become so disgusted with the airport that I wake up with headaches now on the day of flights, no matter how much sleep I get, no matter what time it is, I am nauseous all day. There are very few things I despise more in the world then the airport. It's a shame I have to use it to travel to university and back during breaks.

Done ranting now. I will say I do somewhat enjoy international flights, besides the obvious fact that they can take up to ridiculous times like 14 hours.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:16 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Security lines do NOT move slow as molasses. Security doesn't take more than 10 minutes, tops. And 10 minutes is on a really bad day.

As a frequent traveler, the airport is a great place to hang out. All the airport hate and complaints about security or how crap the airport is are absolutely ridiculous. Again, grab a laptop or mp3 player and chill.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Security lines do NOT move slow as molasses. Security doesn't take more than 10 minutes, tops. And 10 minutes is on a really bad day.

As a frequent traveler, the airport is a great place to hang out. All the airport hate and complaints about security or how crap the airport is are absolutely ridiculous. Again, grab a laptop or mp3 player and chill.
zero sense. if it was that fun you wouldnt need an mp3 or a laptop......

once again it might be cuz i look like a hobo, but i got some security/cops trying to act all tough and asking questions until i showed them im waiting for someone to land.... in an actual paper from air canada vacations, cuz they wouldnt believe me. you just cant hang in an airport because you want.

and the tim horton's are freaking more expensive.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:08 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:

Just 4 days ago I was in the security line for 45 minutes. The line was not long, but according to the employees it was their lunch break so they were understaffed. Therefor there was one person checking ID's/tickets, and one machine working. It was horrible. People were screaming about missing their flights. I had plenty of time, but I would have been furious if I missed my flight because of ******** like that.

And I always have a laptop and an Ipod, it makes the plane ride itself more relaxing (which I even said wasn't bad), as well as waiting at the gate or in a lounge, but it doesn't change the fact that every single other aspect of the airport is a complete and utter joke.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:

Agreed, security line wait times are almost always exaggerated in my experience. The longest I've ever spent in one was 30 minutes in Atlanta. Customs/immigration lines, on the other hand...

I also tend to agree about airports, I never mind waiting around in one too much. For the most part they are clean and relatively comfortable. With exceptions, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclose View Post
zero sense. if it was that fun you wouldnt need an mp3 or a laptop......

once again it might be cuz i look like a hobo, but i got some security/cops trying to act all tough and asking questions until i showed them im waiting for someone to land.... in an actual paper from air canada vacations, cuz they wouldnt believe me. you just cant hang in an airport because you want.

and the tim horton's are freaking more expensive.
Perhaps you should try drinking some good coffee instead.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

45 minutes!? What airport?

It takes 5 min max, even internationally. And I travel a lot

Old
01-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Disclose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post

Perhaps you should try drinking some good coffee instead.
its a freaking airport, not the little italy.....

Old
01-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

What makes the airport such an unpleasant place? Stores everywhere. Fast food joints. Sports bars, ESPN playing (in USA). No complaints here.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Disclose

Quote:
What makes the airport such an unpleasant place? Stores everywhere. Fast food joints. Sports bars, ESPN playing (in USA). No complaints here.
you need money for all that.
and those places are there for that same reason that people have to be early to get on the plane or pick up people or whatever and there's freaking nothing to do.
as i just above, tim horton's already twice as expensive... i cant imagine a drink in a bar.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:31 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
45 minutes!? What airport?

It takes 5 min max, even internationally. And I travel a lot
Newark Airport, the ********* of all airports.

I travel a ton as well, and I have had lines that were even worse then that. Of course I've had ones that have gone quick, never under 5 minutes though....not close.