HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sens Sizzling Since Slow Start

Old
01-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Al Bundy*

vCash: 500

Remember when Ottawa got off to that horrendous start, where Craig Anderson was hemorraging goals and there were trade rumous surrounding some of their big names?

Since they started out with 6 games without a regulation win and looked leaky at times, they've gotten hot at times and went from worst team in East to the potentially dangerous 5 seed ala last year's Lightning.

Any idea as to how Ottawa went from 'They're the favorites for the Yakupov lottery' to 'They're a tough out and no longer an automatic W' like it seemed they'd be.

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:33 AM
Grasshopperking
Oh salad days

Beautiful aliteration

Grasshopperking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:36 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
How much is related to the fact they acquired Turris? Not saying it's because of him, im seriously asking.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:40 AM
Devonator

Ever since you guys got bombarded by Philly early in the season, you have really turned it around.....probably the pleasant surprise of the season.....I don't know if you will keep doing as well but you have been looking really good....

Devonator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:41 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

You could say they are... Raging back?

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:46 AM
topshelfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomerHimpson View Post
Remember when Ottawa got off to that horrendous start, where Craig Anderson was hemorraging goals and there were trade rumous surrounding some of their big names?

Since they started out with 6 games without a regulation win and looked leaky at times, they've gotten hot at times and went from worst team in East to the potentially dangerous 5 seed ala last year's Lightning.

Any idea as to how Ottawa went from 'They're the favorites for the Yakupov lottery' to 'They're a tough out and no longer an automatic W' like it seemed they'd be.
- Coaching. Clouston's system was an embarrasment last year and it didn't work, not only did it not work but he had no idea how to communicate with players and adapt to what the other team was doing, whereas, this season seems like the complete opposite. Paul Maclean is a good coach.
- Erik Karlsson. Almost at PPG pace and he's only 21 , makes things so much easier for the forwards and his defensive partner.
- Good mix of vets and rookies playing well and chemistry among every line except the 4th line, 4th line is kind of a work in progress although we do have winchester and Regin hurt
-Vets all having bounce back seasons -->> Alfie , Spezza, Kuba, Gonchar, Phillips total turn around from last year for the most part

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:30 AM
AlexandreBurrows

Sens stop seriously sucking since spezza starts scoring screaming slappers.

AlexandreBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:51 AM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
You could say they are... Raging back?
Roaring. It's roaring.

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:34 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
I never thought they would be in the top5 pic range.

Never thought they would be this good.
However; the 9-1-2 pace, may not continue.

Pyrophorus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Sureves

I am personally of the belief that good dressing room = good on ice performance and I truly believe that's what we're seeing from the Senators.

Other than Butler, who for some reason I seem to have an irrational dislike of, and to a lesser extent Phillips, every one of our players is playing at least as good as they should be expected to play and in most cases, are exceeding that limit.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:49 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopperking View Post
Beautiful aliteration
First thing I thought of as well.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:54 AM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
How much is related to the fact they acquired Turris? Not saying it's because of him, im seriously asking.
He's been great

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Afro Thunder*

What did you guys expect from that start.

A bunch of new players trying to find chemistry
A bunch of rookies in their 1st year as NHLers
A whole new coaching staff trying instill their system
A bunch of vets trying to recover from injuries.

Plus it didn't help that the season started on a 5 game road trip.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:06 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Proof that coaching makes a huge difference. Bad timing for the thread though, right after they got shutout

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Whydidijoin*

Unsustainable overachieving. Essentially every player is currently exceeding expectations.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Definately playing above their heads. Really reminiscent of TB last year. Carried by some crazy offense, and amazing goaltending to overshadow their suspect defense.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
10-2-3 since trading for Turris' turrific turret.

Seriously though, it probably provided a little spark in the room. In the short-term we knew it made us better but I don't think we knew how much. We subtracted a guy we needed to send to the AHL for a competent 2nd line center. It's shocking how much more creative he's getting than he was in Phoenix...I imagine Tippett wouldn't have any of it from Turris in Phoenix.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Definately playing above their heads. Really reminiscent of TB last year. Carried by some crazy offense, and amazing goaltending to overshadow their suspect defense.
Anderson's only started playing much better.

Pssst, the Leafs fans are really jealous.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Cujomi
De Leeuw Ziel

Quote:
Centre depth means a lot for any team. Adding Turris has definitely helped elevate the play of our team as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Unsustainable overachieving. Essentially every player is currently exceeding expectations.
Quote:
Sounds a lot like hating. Ottawa has put in the work and effort, and which players are overachieving exactly? I'd love to know.

We've had different contributors every night. We've got scoring from every line, some nights our defence is great, some nights our offence is great and some nights our goaltending is great. However we've almost never had a night where all three are clicking. We haven't been carried by any one thing at all this season (especially LOL at the 'amazing goaltending.')

But again, these are comments from Leaf fans who haven't been watching Ottawa play.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Not saying Rundblad is an AHL DMan or that Turris is a high end top 6C, but the Sens gave up a guy who was playing like and AHL DMan and got a guy who is playing like a high end top 6 C. He hasn't been the only reason for our boom, but you could easily make the case that without him we wouldnt have ended up winning 3-5 of our games. 2 GWA's, 1 GWG, scored a goal in a 3-2 SO win... He's generally scoring big points and he's shown flashes of really good play. I think once he fills out he is going to be a very dangerous player for us. He has shocked me with his skill and his chippiness, but he is also clearly lacking strength and it shows when teams are zeroed in on him- he can overpower players when they're not expecting it, both offensively and defensively, but when he is the focal point he has much more of an issue making the easy plays.

What its looking like, at worst we have the best 2nd line C we've pretty much ever had. Now thats not to say he might slip mightily, because he totally could be playing over his head, but for now he looks like we added our 4th or 5th best fwd. So yeah, he's been huge for us.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Sureves

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Not saying Rundblad is an AHL DMan or that Turris is a high end top 6C, but the Sens gave up a guy who was playing like and AHL DMan and got a guy who is playing like a high end top 6 C. He hasn't been the only reason for our boom, but you could easily make the case that without him we wouldnt have ended up winning 3-5 of our games. 2 GWA's, 1 GWG, scored a goal in a 3-2 SO win... He's generally scoring big points and he's shown flashes of really good play. I think once he fills out he is going to be a very dangerous player for us. He has shocked me with his skill and his chippiness, but he is also clearly lacking strength and it shows when teams are zeroed in on him- he can overpower players when they're not expecting it, both offensively and defensively, but when he is the focal point he has much more of an issue making the easy plays.

What its looking like, at worst we have the best 2nd line C we've pretty much ever had. Now thats not to say he might slip mightily, because he totally could be playing over his head, but for now he looks like we added our 4th or 5th best fwd. So yeah, he's been huge for us.
Bold gets 11/10 from me: you nailed it.

I still have a ton of faith in Rundblad and I'm still not sold on Turris being a #2 C (though the last 4 games or so he's really made me wish I could shut my mouth a little more often ) but one thing is for sure is that Rundblad was simply not an NHL-caliber defenseman during his time in Ottawa.

I'm fairly sure he'll get there (and beyond) but he was pretty horrifying for us, and Turris has been very strong for us and, to this point, has undoubtedly played at the level of a #2C.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:35 AM
SupremefartMachine

Quote:
They remind you of a team that made it to within one game of the Stanley Cup finals last year? Sounds pretty good to me. You killed your own argument with that comparison.

SupremefartMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Calderon

Sublimely said, Somer.

Calderon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomerHimpson View Post
Sens since shutout.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Let's not forget that they've also played more games than most teams. 5 more than Boston for example.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote