HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sens Sizzling Since Slow Start

Old
01-17-2012, 09:58 AM
teamuteam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Let's not forget that they've also played more games than most teams. 5 more than Boston for example.
This is true, but its not like they're only 1 point ahead of the teams behind them.

teamuteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:00 AM
number72

I have to laugh at leafs who have been out of playoffs for years - went through a big 4 year rebuild with Burke and are still struggling to make the playoffs.

This is what a good coach will do plus a few smart drafts and trades.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:13 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I have to laugh at leafs who have been out of playoffs for years - went through a big 4 year rebuild with Burke and are still struggling to make the playoffs.

This is what luck does, Ottawa is fortunate to have Alfie still producing after healing from last year and very lucky Karlsson is the player he is today.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:45 AM
olivertwist*
joey crabb jr

we all watch tsn. we know

olivertwist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:52 AM
ShotDownCrosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
How much is related to the fact they acquired Turris? Not saying it's because of him, im seriously asking.
I don't think too much. They had a 6 game win streak earlier in the year as well. Not to discredit Turris' role on the team, but the Sens have had good runs without him too. I am happy Turris is here though.

I think most of it has to do with MacLean, he seems to just make these teams weaknesses better. He really encourages this team and has made it fun for the team. Yeah there have been bad games (aka last night), but it seems that MacLean has been good at getting this team back on track (excluding the first 5 games). See how they play tonight though.

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:53 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

A-A-A-A-alliteration

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:56 AM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Let's not forget that they've also played more games than most teams. 5 more than Boston for example.
That's the thing. They've played more games than other teams in the East, yet aren't that far ahead in wins.

TheRollingPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:57 AM
YesYesYall

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
You could say they are... Raging back?

YesYesYall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:02 AM
SpezDispenser

It's a beautiful team to watch (last night's game aside), because they work their tails off every night and are coached properly. There are obvious concerns when looking closely at the team, but nothing that can't be fixed internally as time goes on.

For example, I'm a big fan of Colin Greening, he has size, speed and some nice skills, but he should be on a solid line 3 instead of flanking Spezza on line one. Ditto Condra on line 2 with Turris and Alfredsson - he works his tail off as well, but the skills aren't quite in line to be a top 6. Not saying these two players can't continue to evolved and develop, but it may be slightly unfair to be asking them to play those kinds of minutes and contribute almost on a nightly basis.

In years to come, the Sens will be able to analyse their situation concerning their top six and add some prospects in the mix (Zibanejad and Silfverberg are all but locks to play next year). If their prospects need more time, like Mark Stone will surely need, Puempel, Noesen etc., then the Sens are in a financial position to bid on a free agent to add to the mix, all the while being mindful of the chemistry.

Lastly, Cowen and Karlsson have changed the playing field in Ottawa. Both contribute hugely on a night in, night out basis. Cowen is a revelation for a rookie D-man, hitting everything that moves, playing his position like a 10 year vet and Karlsson is Karlsson. Add in the new-found confidence of Gonchar and Kuba and Phillips and you have a really nice mix of youth and veterans, with other nice D prospects on their way (Borowiecki and Gryba come to mind immediately).

The future looks really, really nice for the Sens thanks to some superb drafting, great coaching hire (finally!) and faith that the veterans in the room would have a bounce back year. It's fun to watch the Senators again!

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:08 AM
hbk

Sens should make the playoffs but I think it's always best to peak in spring than in December/January.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

This thread 'tis tremendously terrific

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Sounds a lot like hating. Ottawa has put in the work and effort, and which players are overachieving exactly? I'd love to know.

We've had different contributors every night. We've got scoring from every line, some nights our defence is great, some nights our offence is great and some nights our goaltending is great. However we've almost never had a night where all three are clicking. We haven't been carried by any one thing at all this season (especially LOL at the 'amazing goaltending.')

But again, these are comments from Leaf fans who haven't been watching Ottawa play.
Spezza is having his best season since 2007-2008
Karlsson is having his best season ever
Alfredsson is having his best season since 2009-2010, at the age of 39
Michalek is having his best season since 2006-2007, and nearly doubling his career best goal total
Foligno is having his best season ever
Turris is having his best season ever, even counting the 9 pointless games in Phoenix
Gonchar is having his best season with the Senators
Greening has stepped up into a permanent role and producing
Cowen has stepped up into a permanent role and producing
Condra has stepped up into a permanent role and producing
Smith is having his best season ever
Neil is matching his best season ever
Regin is having his best season ever
Da Costa is having his best season ever
Konopka is having his best season ever
Winchester is having his best season ever
Daugavins is having his best season ever
Lee is having his best season since 2008-2009
Kuba rebounded from declining play and point totals, at the age of 35
Phillips is having his best season since 2006-2007

Tell me, who exactly is having an off year? And you're still only in 5th, with a -2 goal differential.

You said it yourself. You haven't had one night where all three things are clicking well. In other words, you've been lucky to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post

No, that's what having 3 of the top players in the league (2 of them relatively young), and multiple players that you can trade with inflated values due to a cup run, as well as prospects already in waiting when you start your rebuild will do.

The situations are not even the slightest bit comparable.

Also, season's not over yet. I wouldn't get too cocky if I were you.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:14 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Never realized how many games Ottawa has played:O

If the Leafs win tonight they are 5 points back with 3 games in hand.

Next 4 games..... Minni, Montreal and a back-to-back isles.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post
That's the thing. They've played more games than other teams in the East, yet aren't that far ahead in wins.
This doesn't take away from the alliterated thread title does it?

I can understand stand the "whoa, Sens have played more games than everyone" comments if we were talking about them taking down the Bruins.

Sens are on pace for around 100 points this year after a start that had some people calling them the worst team in the last decade.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:16 AM
mooseOAK*

I guess that I was right all along, David Rundblad isn't going to be the next great Swedish defenceman. Something about his situation must have changed.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:17 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post

So? The Sens were picked to be last by almost every 'expert' out there, the Leafs weren't.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:19 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
So? The Sens were picked to be last by almost every 'expert' out there, the Leafs weren't.
I already made my input on the first page, this was just a follow up to the # of games situation

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:19 AM
teamuteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post

Or... they'll be 9 pts back and need a 4 game win streak just to keep pace. Everybody saying the sens have played alot of games have to understand that they have to win their games in hand, its not a given.

teamuteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:20 AM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
This doesn't take away from the alliterated thread title does it?

I can understand stand the "whoa, Sens have played more games than everyone" comments if we were talking about them taking down the Bruins.

Sens are on pace for around 100 points this year after a start that had some people calling them the worst team in the last decade.
Defensive much? I was simply responding to his post.

TheRollingPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Sens should make the playoffs but I think it's always best to peak in spring than in December/January.

I can't tell the future but thus far the Sens have basically just gotten better as the season's gone on. We'll see what happens but I expect them to come down to earth moving forward, this isn't a Cup contender and we don't know what "earth" is yet for them. The fact people are making realistic comments that the Sens shouldn't be getting ahead of themselves is hilarious considering their horrific start and pre-season projections. We're aware they aren't contenders or even close.

We know we aren't contenders...but there's no saying this isn't very good for the rebuild.

The Sens are set to debut their 4th and 5th players from the 2008 draft over the road trip in 4th rounder Andre Petersson and 5th rounder Mark Borowiecki. Karlsson, Weircioch, Smith have already played.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post
Defensive much? I was simply responding to his post.
I don't know that it's defensive more than it's just common sense. I actually meant to respond to the original post before hand. Neither comment has much to do with anything. They are 25-12-4 since their bad start...that's noteworthy regardless of how many games they've played.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
i read an alex auld interview talking about how the team clicks in the dressing room and on their road trips. apparently one's of the best chemistry he has seen on any team (he has played for).
ottawa wont continue to win all their games, but the young players are learning alot from McLean and they had a good season in bingo last year.
i guess they just wanna remain in the team and playing their hardest. as for the veterans, they're performing pretty damn well in their respective roles (gonchar, kuba, spezza, alffie), michalek scoring also helps and for the past 10 games we have a goalie we can rely on.
let's see if they keep the pace and hopefully hold on to a playoff spot. its gonna be fun to see them try to work harder, cuz they already are busting their balls... which should make for fun hockey.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

It's amazing how many people are trying to downplay what the Sens are doing this season. Let's just remember that all of you, and almost every analyst, had the Sens pegged as last in the East.

That's really all you need to remember when watching what they're accomplishing right now.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post

No, that's what having 3 of the top players in the league (2 of them relatively young), and multiple players that you can trade with inflated values due to a cup run, as well as prospects already in waiting when you start your rebuild will do.

The situations are not even the slightest bit comparable.

Also, season's not over yet. I wouldn't get too cocky if I were you.
Leafs have Lupul and Kessel as top forwards.
And Phaneuf and Liles as top producing dman.

The bigger difference is the standings which is more indicative of coach or game strategy. I don't think I'm being cocky, on paper I would take leafs over sens, though Wilson seems to be seriously underachieving what the team is capable of. And Mclean is able to gets more from his players.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post

Sounds a lot like hating. Ottawa has put in the work and effort, and which players are overachieving exactly? I'd love to know.

We've had different contributors every night. We've got scoring from every line, some nights our defence is great, some nights our offence is great and some nights our goaltending is great. However we've almost never had a night where all three are clicking. We haven't been carried by any one thing at all this season (especially LOL at the 'amazing goaltending.')

But again, these are comments from Leaf fans who haven't been watching Ottawa play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Anderson's only started playing much better.

Pssst, the Leafs fans are really jealous.
Not surprised that Sens fan would take any opinion that differs from their own as "hating" on the Sens. But I expect nothing less from you two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremefartMachine View Post
They remind you of a team that made it to within one game of the Stanley Cup finals last year? Sounds pretty good to me. You killed your own argument with that comparison.
I didn't make, or kill any argument. TB last year played above their heads. Thats evident by their poor year this year. They rode a hot Roloson, along with Stamkos and Marty SL all the way deep into the playoffs. If Ottawa keeps this up, I could definately see them making it past a few rounds in the playoffs. All I'm suggesting is that when the goaltending cools down, they'll struggle again. Anderson has had .930+ SV% in 7 of his last 10 games. When you have a high octane offense like Ottawa's to go with that... its a good combination.

So please, Ottawa fans, save your tears when someone disagree's about your team. Its not like my opinion changes anything.

P.S. I said the exact same thing about Tampa Bay last year, if the search function actually worked I'd find the quotes.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote