HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sens Sizzling Since Slow Start

Old
01-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Not surprised that Sens fan would take any opinion that differs from their own as "hating" on the Sens. But I expect nothing less from you two.
It's true though and your post wasn't accurate. Didn't say anything about hating, just misinformed and that many Leaf fans have come off as jealous. Don't blame em either, in a season where Ottawa's playing well with house money and the Leafs are supposed to be emerging.

Anderson's played up to par for his salary for most of the year, he's played fantastic lately and that's why Ottawa's run went on a little bit longer than it otherwise would have. I'm not expecting a win tonight either.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:31 AM
teamuteam

how about no more sens threads on the main board? The daily sens/leafs, karlsson rocks/blows defensively is really getting repetitive

teamuteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:32 AM
SupremefartMachine

I hope the Senators and the Leafs make the playoffs. I'd be really happy to see Boston play the Leafs in the first round because the playoffs are all about good defense.

SupremefartMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:32 AM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

I was really frustrated by all the oilers fans overrating their team when they had a good start, I'm not going to call you guys out, but like the oilers, don't expect your making the playoffs(at least some admitted they wouldn't make the playoffs for sure). Sens deserve the credit if they actually make it, but don't get mad if some people are sceptical if a supposed bottom 5 team is a lock for the playoffs.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Thrillingbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Centre depth means a lot for any team. Adding Turris has definitely helped elevate the play of our team as a whole.

Sounds a lot like hating. Ottawa has put in the work and effort, and which players are overachieving exactly? I'd love to know.

We've had different contributors every night. We've got scoring from every line, some nights our defence is great, some nights our offence is great and some nights our goaltending is great. However we've almost never had a night where all three are clicking. We haven't been carried by any one thing at all this season (especially LOL at the 'amazing goaltending.')

But again, these are comments from Leaf fans who haven't been watching Ottawa play.
Wait you don't think the Michalek is over-achieving? Or Alfie at 39?

Thrillingbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:34 AM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

Quote:
It's amazing how many people are trying to downplay what the Sens are doing this season. Let's just remember that all of you, and almost every analyst, had the Sens pegged as last in the East.

That's really all you need to remember when watching what they're accomplishing right now.
your the same guy who said the sens are clearly better than the leafs? are you kidding me? everyone downplays everything about the leafs, this is how it feels.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillingbroom View Post
Michalek's over achieving, but Alfie's still a much better player. He had surgery to correct stuff that's been ailing him for years...regardless of production, he's playing like he's 35 again.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Spezza is having his best season since 2007-2008
You mean he's played his first injury-free season since 08-09, in which he had a down year.

Quote:
Karlsson is having his best season ever
Karlsson is 21 years old and was showing this kind of play in spurts last season. Was he supposed to stop improving at 20?

Quote:
Alfredsson is having his best season since 2009-2010, at the age of 39
So Alfredsson is having his best season in...a year? Since he was out with injury. What you mean to say is that he rebounded from the first "bad" season in his career.

Quote:
Michalek is having his best season since 2006-2007, and nearly doubling his career best goal total
Again, playing his first healthy season in how long? Michalek has shown this kind of ability before but then has gotten injured and completely slowed up his paces. He had a healthy off-season for the first time in years.

Quote:
Foligno is having his best season ever
Young powerforward being given more ice-time and responsibility. Most of his improvement came when he was being asked to centre the 2nd line. Of course he's going to produce more and improve as he gets older.

Quote:
Turris is having his best season ever, even counting the 9 pointless games in Phoenix
Turris is being given a chance to play with some elite players and is actually being trusted on the ice with a lot of icetime and responsibility. He showed that he could be this kind of player against Detroit in the playoffs.

Quote:
Gonchar is having his best season with the Senators
You mean after one season, where everyone on the team was underperforming, he has bounced back? Colour me shocked considering his track record.

Quote:
Greening has stepped up into a permanent role and producing
Cowen has stepped up into a permanent role and producing
Condra has stepped up into a permanent role and producing
Smith is having his best season ever
These guys were question marks. They'd never played in the NHL in full capacity in big roles. They've shown the ability to step up as they did in the Calder Cup run. I don't see how this is overachieving when there was no baseline for their performance level. For all we know they could get better next year.

Quote:
Neil is matching his best season ever
No he isn't.

Quote:
Regin is having his best season ever
Da Costa is having his best season ever
Konopka is having his best season ever
Winchester is having his best season ever
Daugavins is having his best season ever
I don't know if this is a joke or not.

Quote:
Lee is having his best season since 2008-2009
Lee is actually being trusted to play the most time since 08-09 if you watched the Sens last year you would have seen that he was one of our best D-men going into the off-season.

Quote:
Kuba rebounded from declining play and point totals, at the age of 35
You mean that he had one off season and has rebounded from it? Shocking how consistent players can do that.

Quote:
Phillips is having his best season since 2006-2007
This isn't true either.

Quote:
Tell me, who exactly is having an off year? And you're still only in 5th, with a -2 goal differential.
When did I say that anyone was having an off year? We came in with a lot of questions and a lot of uncertainties and those questions and uncertainties were answered. We're "only" in 5th despite being pegged as the worst team in the East by every fan and every analyst going into the season. I'm not too bothered by it.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:39 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
I don't think Michalek is over-achieving at all. It's called finally being healthy and growing some confidence in the meantime.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaiyanBeastmode View Post
your the same guy who said the sens are clearly better than the leafs? are you kidding me? everyone downplays everything about the leafs, this is how it feels.
The Sens have clearly been better than the Leafs. I'm not downplaying anything. I was an advocate for the Leafs being better than the Canadiens and making the playoffs this offseason. I just call it like it is.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
I don't think Michalek is over-achieving at all. It's called finally being healthy and growing some confidence in the meantime.
I don't think he's a 40 goal guy regularly at full health. Although when Spezza's on he does help players overachieve.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 01-17-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old
01-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Just read the post I responded to in depth. Or if you could go back in time you could have watched the Sens play and actually know what you are talking about. Unfortunately I doubt either will happen.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
It's true though and your post wasn't accurate. Didn't say anything about hating, just misinformed and that many Leaf fans have come off as jealous. Don't blame em either, in a season where Ottawa's playing well with house money and the Leafs are supposed to be emerging.

Anderson's played up to par for his salary for most of the year, he's played fantastic lately and that's why Ottawa's run went on a little bit longer than it otherwise would have. I'm not expecting a win tonight either.
What wasn't accurate about my post?

Lets compare them to TB last year:
Great goaltending (Roloson/Anderson): Check
High octane offense (Stamkos-MSL/Spezza-Karlsson-Alfie): Check
Suspect defense (3rd highest GA in the NHL): Check

Last edited by Nizdizzle: 01-17-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
What wasn't accurate about my post?
Quote:
Definately playing above their heads. Really reminiscent of TB last year. Carried by some crazy offense, and amazing goaltending to overshadow their suspect defense.
That.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:46 AM
YogiCanucks

2nd half Minnesota Wild. That should be taken as a compliment, not the most talented team but playing at an elite level. Hopefully it doesn't catch up to them so they can get a playoff birth.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Leafs have Lupul and Kessel as top forwards.
And Phaneuf and Liles as top producing dman.

The bigger difference is the standings which is more indicative of coach or game strategy. I don't think I'm being cocky, on paper I would take leafs over sens, though Wilson seems to be seriously underachieving what the team is capable of. And Mclean is able to gets more from his players.
Senators had their top players before they started their rebuild.

Leafs obtained their top players for other assets while in their rebuild.

Big difference.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Thrillingbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
He was quite healthy in San Jose and still has a career high 26 goals. I could understand 30 goals, but there are very few 40 goal scorers in this league and I don't think anyone would of put Michalek in that list coming into the season.

Quote:
Just read the post I responded to in depth. Or if you could go back in time you could have watched the Sens play and actually know what you are talking about. Unfortunately I doubt either will happen.
I have watched many Sens games, I was actually at the four home games over Christmas, which one would you like to discuss?

Thrillingbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
That.
Do you think Ottawa has as many points as they do now because of their defensive prowess? They are outscoring their problems (much like the Leafs at the start of the season) and when the scoring isn't coming in bunches they are getting stellar goaltending.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Minister of Offence

delete

Old
01-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Do you think Ottawa has as many points as they do now because of their defensive prowess? They are outscoring their problems (much like the Leafs at the start of the season) and when the scoring isn't coming in bunches they are getting stellar goaltending.
Stellar goaltending has only come recently. As a whole he's been what he was brought into be, good enough, a starter.

Their offense is certainly better than their defense. They've got a 20 year old and a 21 year old playing top 4 minutes. One of them is an offensive dynamo around top 10 in the league in ice time...there's a reason Ottawa scores a lot and I'm not sure it's going away any time soon.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
When did I say that anyone was having an off year? We came in with a lot of questions and a lot of uncertainties and those questions and uncertainties were answered. We're "only" in 5th despite being pegged as the worst team in the East by every fan and every analyst going into the season. I'm not too bothered by it.
You don't seem to get it. Every single team, even cup contenders, have players that decline or have off years or go through injury troubles.

Ottawa this year has not. They have had everything go in their favour, and have had every player show improvement over last year or multiple years or every year in their career. And beyond that, some are putting up production beyond their abilities. That as a whole is unsustainable, and that has only gotten them to be a middle of the pack playoff team.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
You don't seem to get it. Every single team, even cup contenders, have players that decline or have off years or go through injury troubles.

Ottawa this year has not. They have had everything go in their favour, and have had every player show improvement over last year or multiple years or every year in their career. And beyond that, some are putting up production beyond their abilities. That as a whole is unsustainable, and that has only gotten them to be a middle of the pack playoff team.
They also had a ton of guys have career worsts last year. Natural bounce back and coaching has had a lot to do with this.

It's a lot easier to have a great season when the team is meshing and playing well. The main overachiever for me is Michalek, he isn't a 40 goal guy.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
This just isn't true. While minor players on a lot of teams often get injured, there are many examples of teams that go the entire year with very limited injuries to important players on their teams.

Ottawa has had nothing but injury issues and problems over the last few years. On top of this we have had injury issues already this year -- Alfredsson, Regin, Winchester, Phillips, Michalek, Gonchar etc.

I don't think you get it. You should get your facts straight.

Quote:
Who is putting up production beyond their abilities?

Old
01-17-2012, 12:36 PM
source

Quote:
They have had everything go in their favour, and have had every player show improvement over last year or multiple years or every year in their career. And beyond that, some are putting up production beyond their abilities. That as a whole is unsustainable, and that has only gotten them to be a middle of the pack playoff team.
I agree it is unsustainable.

After all, Ottawa is a rebuilding team with a top rated prospect pool. Over the next 3-4 years it's quite likely we'll get better assuming also that we use our cap space wisely during free agency.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Why are Sens fans acting innocent? Even they though their team was headed to Lotteryville.

It really helps having young guys that just won the Calder Cup, it also helps having a coach like Paul MacLean instead of that terrible guy..(I already forgot his name), it also helps that Alfie is playing well, Spezza isn't injured, and Karlsson is like miles ahead of the next defenseman in points (he can just sit the next 25 games and still be ahead).

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote