HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kesler Not Happy With AV's Comment

Old
01-17-2012, 04:55 AM
PhillyFrisco

vCash: 500
Kesler Not Happy With AV's Comment

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...583/story.html

Quote:
VANCOUVER If an angry Ryan Kesler is a better Ryan Kesler, then the Los Angeles Kings might want to pay particular attention to No. 17 Tuesday night.

The Canucks centre was clearly displeased Monday to hear about a comment made about his game by coach Alain Vigneault.

After Sunday's lacklustre 4-2 loss to the Anaheim Ducks, Vigneault was asked what was wrong with Kesler, whose numbers are down this season and in more than 19 minutes of ice time Sunday night failed to register a shot on goal.

"I think he has to use the players around him a little bit more so that he can get into open space and create the type of offensive chances and be the type of defensive player that he can be," Vigneault said.

Kesler was not aware of those comments until Monday and bristled when they were put to him by reporters following the team's practice at Rogers Arena.

"Me utilize my players?" Kesler said, before adding: "Obviously, I don't know what he means by that and if he wants to say that he can come to me and talk to me about it.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...#ixzz1jhx4a0ia

AV's comments seemed pretty harmless to me. Over reaction by Kesler here? Don't think that AV said anything wrong at all.

PhillyFrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:58 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Kesler to T dot o

Book it

Last edited by Bgav: 01-17-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:10 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
Vignault does this kind of stuff, not sure why?

JuniorNelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:21 AM
Steveorama

Usual media BS.
According to the Province, the quote was given to Kesler out of context, and paraphrased. The reporter who asked it should be working for a London tabloid.

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:40 AM
God
Free Citizen

AV is right.

At even strength, the only thing I ever see Kesler doing is crossing the blueline and firing a shot that will deflect off a stick or defender 80% of the time. In the playoffs, after "the goal" against Nashville, all he'd do would be skate across the blueline and try to deke out the defense. It never worked.

The fact that he has a good shot is affecting his play. He's trying to shoot from everywhere but it's always into a busy lane. He needs to pass more when he enters the offensive zone.

God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:56 AM
carseat

kesler thinks hes a superstar when really he just another over-rated inconsistent player in the nhl

carseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Bougieman

This is the kind of media crap I HATE. If you're Vancouver media, why are you turning our own players and coaching staff against each other? Do you want Vancouver hockey fans to boycott your paper?

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:31 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
This is the kind of media crap I HATE. If you're Vancouver media, why are you turning our own players and coaching staff against each other? Do you want Vancouver hockey fans to boycott your paper?
AV knew exactly what he was doing. He knows Keslers ego is bigger than the state of Michigan and he knows the VAN media are hanging on his every word. Thus AV believes some negative exposure should more efficiently produce the desired result.

01-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Canucker

Kesler needs to suck it up and prove his coach wrong. No prima donna BS. We have a center who'd love to have the 2nd line position if Kesler isn't going to be productive.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:05 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Usual media BS.

However having said that, AV is right. Kesler is my favorite Canuck, but he needs to get going here now that Booth is back. I suspect he is just gassed with no off season and that he will come around strong after the all star break.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:06 AM
tantalum

Much ado about nothing.

And if it is something then hello to either Randy Carlyle or Ryan Getzlaf.

tantalum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Good.

Get a little emotion in the room. As Kesler goes, so do the Canucks.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Does this mean AV won't snicker and brush off the suggestion Hodgson should get a few more shifts? Maybe now he's onto the fact it wouldn't be such a bad idea to take a shift or 2 from Kesler and give it to Cody when the team is pressing for goals at even strength.

Ryan Kesler produces about as much as Manny Malhotra 5 on 5. Kesler can't be surprised he's being called out a bit here...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:02 AM
B-rock

Kesler needs a kick in the ass sometimes. He thinks he's god's gift to hockey and when he's not playing with the effort that he should, he needs someone like AV to let him know.
He just never takes it well is all. But we should see a motivated #17 next game.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I don't particularly like how AV will say this sort of stuff in the media rather than to the players in private (has done it with Mitchell, Hodgson, and now Kesler).

Having said that, he's absolutely right. Kesler does need to look for the pass a bit more - defenders are zeroing in on him to prevent the shot.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I don't particularly like how AV will say this sort of stuff in the media rather than to the players in private (has done it with Mitchell, Hodgson, and now Kesler).

Having said that, he's absolutely right. Kesler does need to look for the pass a bit more - defenders are zeroing in on him to prevent the shot.
I don't think AV said anything particularly damning about Kesler. He was asked a question and answered it, then Kesler was asked to respond to AV's answer that was taken out of context by the reporter. Kesler being his usual surly, cocky self, bit on it and had a hissy fit. I'll bet AV had a good chuckle about it today.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I don't think AV said anything particularly damning about Kesler. He was asked a question and answered it, then Kesler was asked to respond to AV's answer that was taken out of context by the reporter. Kesler being his usual surly, cocky self, bit on it and had a hissy fit. I'll bet AV had a good chuckle about it today.
Disagree on both counts.

What AV said isn't particularly bad in and of itself. Had he said those remarks to Kesler, Kesler probably doesn't gripe one bit. But when you criticise a player's performance like that in the press, the optics are bad.

I don't think Kesler "had a fit" so to speak, I think he was mad that AV took it to the media rather than to him personally. And why not? Kesler seems to enjoy one of the best relationships with Vigneault of anyone on the team, they have a certain rapport.

Again - I agree with AV's comments, just not the manner in which he chose to bring them to light.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Can we get a picture of Kesler and Av dancing into the arena like the kesler/mitchell pic?

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
YogiCanucks

Kesler is EASILY being out worked by Booth and Higgins, and while those guys are amongst the hardest working guys out there... Kesler needs to be the hardest working guy on his line.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:48 AM
VanCityStrangler

Reporter took AV's quote out of context and then didn't even get the wording right. AV said Kes needed to use his teammates "more", the reported said he needed to use his teammates "better".

Personally, he does need to use his teammates better but I don't know if its in him, He has been very disappointing at EV for a couple of years.

VanCityStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Anodyne

AV says something that is clear as day to anyone who has watched the Canucks this year, and it causes a huge stir. Sounds about right.

I don't have a problem with the way he brought it up. I don't agree with the notion that he's allowed to critique the play rookies, call-ups, or plugs in the media--which he does all the time--but not 40-goal scorers. I don't believe this would have become a story with any other player on the team.

Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:01 PM
kootenayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsson uhhh View Post
AV says something that is clear as day to anyone who has watched the Canucks this year, and it causes a huge stir. Sounds about right.I don't have a problem with the way he brought it up. I don't agree with the notion that he's allowed to critique the play rookies, call-ups, or plugs in the media--which he does all the time--but not 40-goal scorers. I don't believe this would have become a story with any other player on the team.
lol so true. AV actually said a "few" guys have to pick it up, but was asked specifaclly about Kesler.

kootenayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:06 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
AV is right.

At even strength, the only thing I ever see Kesler doing is crossing the blueline and firing a shot that will deflect off a stick or defender 80% of the time. In the playoffs, after "the goal" against Nashville, all he'd do would be skate across the blueline and try to deke out the defense. It never worked.

The fact that he has a good shot is affecting his play. He's trying to shoot from everywhere but it's always into a busy lane. He needs to pass more when he enters the offensive zone.
This is exactly right, I've been yelling it at the tv all year (why won't it answer!?) His shot caught people by surprise last year, it's like he's not noticing that everyone in the arena knows he's looking to shoot now.

PRNuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Kagee*

"Obviously, I don't know what he means by that and if he wants to say that he can come to me and talk to me about it."

Yeah he sounds soo unhappy. lol

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:18 PM
cjcanucks

Kesler is a bit of a diva. Not sure about his "rapport" with AV. Nothing AV said was out of line and any player that takes issue with what was said is being a tad too prickly. Through minor hockey to the pros, players are open to this and should be used to it by now. Kes' reaction - whether AV's comment was taken out of context or not - shows petulance, which is too bad.

cjcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote