HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Itís Optimus Reim or Bust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2012, 07:24 AM
  #1
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,613
vCash: 500
Itís Optimus Reim or Bust

Quote:
TORONTO (Jan. 17) – Here is a word to the wise, and an encouraging one, for fans of the Maple Leafs: Do not give up on James Reimer.

The upstart netminder that stole the heart of Leafs Nation in the second half of last season will make his first appearance of 2012 when the Ottawa Senators come to town on Tuesday night. A venomous amalgam of second-year malaise; a debilitating head/neck injury that curtailed early momentum and a suddenly-impressive alternate goalie has blighted, to this point, Reimer’s sophomore NHL campaign. Even if he had avoided the collision with Brian Gionta in Montreal on Oct. 22, chances are Reimer would be a shell of last season – it happens to nearly every second-year athlete in pro hockey and is almost always followed by a bounce-back in year three.
For Once I agree with Berger, one of those very rare days.

http://www.bergerbytes.ca/2012/01/it...-reim-or-bust/

__________________

Last edited by Leaf Rocket: 01-17-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Unbelievable that I didn't post link before.
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:32 AM
  #2
mapleleaf1389
Registered User
 
mapleleaf1389's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ballston Lake, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
I agree as well.

From the game in Buffalo Friday what was most telling was the difference in play before and after Gaustad scored on Monster. Team bailed out after that. They scored two goals in that game, but none in the next.

At times it seems unfair that this team needs the goalie to steal games, but how many games do they steal for the goalies

mapleleaf1389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:32 AM
  #3
slozo
Registered User
 
slozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: north of Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
Here here . . .

Reimer will get through it, the kid is a true competitor, and has an amazing outlook and work ethic. I think he will have a strong second half, assuring the Leafs of a playoff spot.

I hope. (gulp)

slozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:36 AM
  #4
KingBuzzo
A custom title.
 
KingBuzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,207
vCash: 500
It was this time last year he was earning his nickname, hopefully he can live up to it and carry this team again! I think he can do it.

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:52 AM
  #5
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,613
vCash: 500
He's a good man, and has a very good head on his shoulders so Im sure he can move forward with this crap.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:33 AM
  #6
gabeliscious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,648
vCash: 500
reimer is our guy. the bipolar fan base should not forget that. gus stringing together a few games is great but it is a bonus. we need to get reimer into games so he can get his conditioning, and game back. hes a young guy who is remarkably grounded for where he is in life. i think he will have a solid performance tonight - win or lose.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:34 AM
  #7
SprDaVE
Registered User
 
SprDaVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,996
vCash: 500
He's been great 5 on 5, or at least reliable. It's on the PK he's been struggling badly. Seems like shots are going through him really easily. He can't seem to find the puck.

He just needs a few bounces to go his way, along with some offensive support upfront.

He needs a bit of confidence and I think he can regain some form.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:37 AM
  #8
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
reimer is our guy. the bipolar fan base should not forget that. gus stringing together a few games is great but it is a bonus. we need to get reimer into games so he can get his conditioning, and game back. hes a young guy who is remarkably grounded for where he is in life. i think he will have a solid performance tonight - win or lose.
I don't think too many have given up on Reimer, they just want Gustavsson afforded the same opportunities and IF Reimer is struggling, we don't want him playing us into non-playoffs. He has many years to work out the kinks. Right now we are in a battle. He now gets his shot to run with it. Sink or swim.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:37 AM
  #9
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
He's been great 5 on 5, or at least reliable. It's on the PK he's been struggling badly. Seems like shots are going through him really easily. He can't seem to find the puck.

He just needs a few bounces to go his way, along with some offensive support upfront.

He needs a bit of confidence and I think he can regain some form.
Now with our penalty kill on track, it should help him LOADS.

So let's hope he can thrive with that, and get some support from the team.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:05 AM
  #10
Leafsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
He's been great 5 on 5, or at least reliable. It's on the PK he's been struggling badly. Seems like shots are going through him really easily. He can't seem to find the puck.

He just needs a few bounces to go his way, along with some offensive support upfront.

He needs a bit of confidence and I think he can regain some form.
Reimer is just another victim of an atrocious PK!

He is tied for 16th in the league in ES Save % with .935. If this Pk can get turned around Reimer will probally be the biggest benefactor.

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:08 AM
  #11
SprDaVE
Registered User
 
SprDaVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Reimer is just another victim of an atrocious PK!

He is tied for 16th in the league in ES Save % with .935. If this Pk can get turned around Reimer will probally be the biggest benefactor.
To be fair, Reimer was a big reason why the PK was atrocious.

A solid/good PK is as good as your goaltending. Of course the team/coaching needs a lot of the blaming, but so does the goaltending. It's no secret the PK seemed to be doing a lot better when Gustavsson was also doing very well.

A lot of the PK goals against were stoppable, but got through somehow. You need more than just the decent saves on a PK. You need big saves once in awhile, which Reimer couldn't provide at all.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:10 AM
  #12
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Now with our penalty kill on track, it should help him LOADS.

So let's hope he can thrive with that, and get some support from the team.
Something tells me that our perfect PK streak will just happen to come to a halt tonight. :x

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:13 AM
  #13
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,229
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Something tells me that our perfect PK streak will just happen to come to a halt tonight. :x
Is the Sens PP still #1 in the league? I remember we faced them earlier this year and they just absolutely lit us up on the PP.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:19 AM
  #14
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
To be fair, Reimer was a big reason why the PK was atrocious.

A solid/good PK is as good as your goaltending. Of course the team/coaching needs a lot of the blaming, but so does the goaltending. It's no secret the PK seemed to be doing a lot better when Gustavsson was also doing very well.

A lot of the PK goals against were stoppable, but got through somehow. You need more than just the decent saves on a PK. You need big saves once in awhile, which Reimer couldn't provide at all.
My memory may be exaggerating but I remember that while on the PK, Reimer would get screened by his own teammates even when the opposition was not in front of the net. I've seen that happen plenty of times with Gus as well. I've noticed with their PK so far in 2012, their sticks are more active in front of the net and they're doing a better job of boxing out the opposition which clears up ice for their goalie to see the puck and it also puts them in a better position to ice the puck comfortably. If the team can play their PK strategy like they have so far in 2012, it'll be much easier to differentiate if Reimer is simply a weak point on the PK or if the atrocious PK was really a team effort.

As for Reimer, I still have faith in the kid. His teammates say he's the most competitive guy in the locker room. He shoulders every goal against on himself and he refuses to ever remotely pass blame on a teammate for a goal even when it would be more than acceptable at times to do so. Even if he doesn't pull it together this season (which I think he can), I still think he needs to be evaluated past the superstitious sophmore slump.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:22 AM
  #15
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Is the Sens PP still #1 in the league? I remember we faced them earlier this year and they just absolutely lit us up on the PP.
Was their PP ever #1? I know it was hovering in top 3 and top 5 territory. But to answer your question, Ottawa's PP is ranked 15th at a 17.68% while Toronto has dropped to #4 with 20.89%.

Toronto's PP has looked pretty bad lately. Mac on the point was an awful experiment that should never be attempted again. Not sure what Wilson was thinking there. Phaneuf/Gunnar/Franson/Connolly/Gardiner should be our PP quarterbacks. Despite a 5 game PP streak, I still think our PP is struggling without Liles and the longer we go without him, the more obvious it seems.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:23 AM
  #16
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,978
vCash: 500
Reims will be fine in the longrun, let's hope he can get it together in the shortrun.

Because after a brief hot streak, Gus is back to letting in an absolute howler every game.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:30 AM
  #17
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Reims will be fine in the longrun, let's hope he can get it together in the shortrun.

Because after a brief hot streak, Gus is back to letting in an absolute howler every game.
Sure he is. Guess pucks deflecting off defenders is now considered a "howler". It's fine, as long as you're consistant when evaluating goalies.

On the bright side, it does take more than 8 shots to score 3 goals on him.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:33 AM
  #18
Espher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fredericton, N.B.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Toronto's PP has looked pretty bad lately. Mac on the point was an awful experiment that should never be attempted again. Not sure what Wilson was thinking there. Phaneuf/Gunnar/Franson/Connolly/Gardiner should be our PP quarterbacks. Despite a 5 game PP streak, I still think our PP is struggling without Liles and the longer we go without him, the more obvious it seems.
It looked good for the first PP in the Rangers game, and then just fell apart for every one after that haha.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:33 AM
  #19
Alazais
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 388
vCash: 500
Link? (i want to read the article)

Alazais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:37 AM
  #20
Darcy Tucker
Registered User
 
Darcy Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,400
vCash: 500
I think its hardly Reimer or bust this season. What if he gets shelled against the Sens? then Gus plays next game and nothing has changed. A lot of pressure put on Reimer when we have a competent starter who hasnt allowed a PP goal in 6 games

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:41 AM
  #21
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
It looked good for the first PP in the Rangers game, and then just fell apart for every one after that haha.
I missed the game on Saturday. Usually a good PP (even when you don't score) creates momentum for a team. So what you're saying is that the opposite effect took place?

I kind of expected a loss to the Rangers being on the 2nd of a back to back which is why the Buffalo game was so important for them. Even if you're hanging in the top 8 by a point, it's still a lot more comfortable than sitting outside of the top 8 by a point. Why the hell can't this team put together a winning streak longer than 4? Unless it's win 4, lose 1 and win 4 again and so on, it'd be nice to see them manage an impressive winning streak. They have a tough March schedule so January is probably the best time to get that streak started.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:49 AM
  #22
marquee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
I think its hardly Reimer or bust this season. What if he gets shelled against the Sens? then Gus plays next game and nothing has changed. A lot of pressure put on Reimer when we have a competent starter who hasnt allowed a PP goal in 6 games
I just wanna know where Berger said it's Reimer or bust. ALl i read is dont give up on the kid and he'll eventually bounce back. If not this season but in the next....

The article fails to mention he was playing mediocre before the injury and has looked lost when he returned.

marquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:55 AM
  #23
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alazais View Post
Link? (i want to read the article)
LOL i am sorry! can't believe i didn't post it before:
http://www.bergerbytes.ca/2012/01/it...-reim-or-bust/

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:58 AM
  #24
Darcy Tucker
Registered User
 
Darcy Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marquee View Post
I just wanna know where Berger said it's Reimer or bust. ALl i read is dont give up on the kid and he'll eventually bounce back. If not this season but in the next....

The article fails to mention he was playing mediocre before the injury and has looked lost when he returned.
in the title apparently

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:31 AM
  #25
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Sure he is. Guess pucks deflecting off defenders is now considered a "howler". It's fine, as long as you're consistant when evaluating goalies.

On the bright side, it does take more than 8 shots to score 3 goals on him.
I'm not sure how anyone can excuse the 2nd goals in either of the last 2 games.

Those were both pathetic softies.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.